It is the national dish of the Philippines, and the subject of intense and delicious debate across its 7,100 islands whether made with chicken, pork or fish. Whichever, the protein is braised in vinegar until pungent and rich, sweet and sour and salty at once, then sometimes crisped at the edges in high heat, and always served with the remaining sauce. Its excellence derives from the balance of its flavors, in the alchemy of the process. Cooking softens the acidity of the vinegar, which then combines with the flavor of the meat to enhance it. Whether consumed in Manila's heat or on the edge of a New York winter, adobo holds the power to change moods and alter dining habits. It is a difficult dish to cook just once. The recipe that follows derives from one given to The Times in 2011 by Amy Besa, who runs, with her husband, Romy Dorotan, the excellent Purple Yam restaurant in Ditmas Park, Brooklyn.
Provided by Sam Sifton
Categories dinner, easy, weekday, main course
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Combine all of the marinade ingredients in a large, nonreactive bowl or resealable plastic freezer bag. Add the chicken and turn to coat. Refrigerate overnight or for at least 2 hours.
- Place chicken and marinade in a large lidded pot or Dutch oven over high heat and bring to a boil. Immediately reduce heat to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and tender, around 30 minutes.
- Heat broiler. Transfer chicken pieces to a large bowl, raise heat under the pot to medium-high, and reduce the sauce until it achieves almost the consistency of cream, about 10 minutes. Remove bay leaves and chilies.
- Place chicken pieces on a roasting pan and place under broiler for 5 to 7 minutes, until they begin to caramelize. Remove, turn chicken, baste with sauce and repeat, 3 to 5 minutes more. Return chicken to sauce and cook for a few minutes more, then place on a platter and drizzle heavily with sauce.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 1036, UnsaturatedFat 42 grams, Carbohydrate 9 grams, Fat 78 grams, Fiber 1 gram, Protein 69 grams, SaturatedFat 29 grams, Sodium 1209 milligrams, Sugar 1 gram, TransFat 0 grams
FILIPINO CHICKEN ADOBO
My mom always makes her saucy chicken adobo recipe when I come home to visit. I think it's even better the next day as leftovers-she says it's because of the vinegar. - Michael Moya, Taste of Home Senior Marketing Manager
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 6 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 9
- In a shallow dish, combine the first 6 ingredients. Add chicken; refrigerate, covered, 20-30 minutes. Drain, reserving marinade. Pat chicken dry., In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat; brown chicken. Stir in water and reserved marinade. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until chicken is no longer pink and sauce is slightly reduced, 20-25 minutes. Discard bay leaf. If desired, serve chicken with cooking sauce.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 234 calories, Fat 15g fat (4g saturated fat), Cholesterol 71mg cholesterol, Sodium 1315mg sodium, Carbohydrate 2g carbohydrate (0 sugars, Fiber 0 fiber), Protein 22g protein.
FAMOUS CHICKEN ADOBO
This classic adobo recipe is simple to make and famous with all who have tasted it. It has been modified to be a bit more saucy than traditional adobo, it is delicious served over rice.
Provided by angelaBBf
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook chicken pieces until golden brown on both sides, then remove. Stir in the onion and garlic; cook until they soften and brown, about 6 minutes.
- Pour in vinegar and soy sauce, and season with garlic powder, black pepper, and bay leaf. Add the browned chicken, increase the heat to high, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the chicken is tender and cooked through, 35 to 40 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 360.8 calories, Carbohydrate 7.2 g, Cholesterol 97 mg, Fat 21.7 g, Fiber 1 g, Protein 32.8 g, SaturatedFat 5.5 g, Sodium 1039.7 mg, Sugar 1.9 g
FILIPINO CHICKEN ADOBO
This one-pot Filipino Chicken Adobo recipe from Food Network uses only a handful of ingredients, including garlic and soy sauce.
Provided by Food Network
Yield 6 to 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Combine the chicken thighs, vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, peppercorns and bay leaves in a large pot. Cover and marinate the chicken in the refrigerator for 1 to 3 hours.
- Bring the chicken to a boil over high heat. Lower the heat, cover and let simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the lid and simmer until the sauce is reduced and thickened and the chicken is tender, about 20 more minutes. Serve with steamed rice.
People also searched
More about "famous chicken adobo recipes"
EASIEST CHICKEN ADOBO RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
4/5 (69)Servings 4
- Without separating or peeling the cloves, cut entire head of garlic in half through the “equator” (it’s fine if some cloves become detached). Thinly slice 1 green chile, removing seeds if desired for less heat.
- If you got whole chicken legs (if not, go to the next step), cover surface of cutting board with a double layer of plastic wrap and place legs skin side up on top (this is to protect your board from any possible contamination; if you have a cutting board that you use for raw meat, use that). You’re going to split the legs into thighs and drumsticks. Working one leg at at time, wiggle drumstick so you can see the joint connecting the thigh and drumstick. Slice down with your knife crosswise between the two, aiming for the joint, until you hit bone. Grasp leg with thigh in one hand and drumstick in the other and break the joint, then cut the rest of the way through with your knife. Repeat with remaining legs.
- Heat 1 Tbsp. vegetable oil in a large Dutch oven over medium. Add chicken skin side down and cook, lifting pieces with tongs once or twice toward the end to let hot fat flow underneath, until fat is rendered and skin is crisp and golden brown, 7–10 minutes. Transfer skin side up to a plate. Because drumsticks are covered entirely in skin, you can brown both sides, but it’s not necessary.
- Add ¾ cup vinegar, ¾ cup soy sauce, 1 Tbsp. brown sugar, 5 bay leaves, and reserved garlic and sliced chile to Dutch oven. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to low, stirring to dissolve sugar. Season generously with pepper. → Wait a second, what is white vinegar, anyway?
EASY CHICKEN ADOBO - SIMPLY DELICIOUS
4.4/5 (15)Total Time 1 hrCategory DinnerCalories 225 per serving
- Brown chicken well in a tablespoon of oil in a large skillet or deep frying pan. Remove from the pan and set aside.
- Combine the vinegar, soy sauce, sugar, garlic, black pepper, bay leaves and chillies and pour into the pan. Bring to a simmer.
- Add the chicken, skin-side up, and simmer with the lid ajar for 20-30 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked and tender.
HOW TO COOK THE BEST AUTHENTIC CHICKEN ADOBO
5/5 (1)Category Main CourseCuisine FilipinoCalories 282 per serving
- In a bowl, combine soy sauce, vinegar, sugar, garlic, and pepper. Mix well and marinate chicken legs for at least 1 hour.
- Add the bay leaves and onions. Cover and simmer for 40 minutes or until chicken is tender already.TIP: You can add more water if the pork is not yet tender.
FILIPINO CHICKEN ADOBO (FLAVOUR KAPOW!) | RECIPETIN EATS
4.9/5 (140)Total Time 45 minsCategory ChickenCalories 350 per serving
- Combine Chicken and Marinade ingredients in a bowl. Marinate for at least 20 minutes, or up to overnight.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil in a skillet over high heat. Remove chicken from marinade (reserve marinade) and place in the pan. Sear both sides until browned – about 1 minute on each side. Do not cook the chicken all the way through.
CHICKEN ADOBO | THE RECIPE CRITIC - BEST RECIPES FOR ...
5/5 (2)Calories 398 per servingCategory Dinner, Main Course
- Heat oil in a large skillet over med-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper. Add the chicken and drumsticks skin side down to the pan and brown on both sides. Remove and place on a plate.
- To the skillet, add the vinegar, soy sauce, garlic, half the chilies, black pepper, sugar, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil over med-high heat. Add the chicken, skin side up, reduce heat to low, cover, and let simmer for 30-35 minutes until cooked through and tender.
- Remove chicken from pan onto a clean plate. Bring sauce to a boil over med-high heat and cook for about 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. (For a thicker sauce, mix together 1 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch with 1 1/2 teaspoons cold water. Pour into the boiled sauce and cook another 20-30 seconds until thickened.)
- Remove the pan from the heat, discard bay leaves, and add the chicken back. Spoon sauce over the top of the chicken and garnish with remaining chilies.
CHICKEN ADOBO RECIPE - PANLASANG PINOY
4.3/5 (6)Total Time 40 minsCategory Main CourseCalories 607 per serving
- Combine chicken, soy sauce, and garlic in a large bowl. Mix well. Marinate the chicken for at least 1 hour. Note: the longer the time, the better
CHICKEN ADOBO (THE BEST AUTHENTIC RECIPE!) - RASA MALAYSIA
Reviews 190Calories 63 per servingCategory Filipino Recipes
- Place the soy sauce, vinegar, garlic, black peppercorns, and bay leaves in a large, nonreactive sauté pan, and then nestle the chicken thighs, skin side down, into the pan. Bring the liquid to a boil over high heat, and then cover and simmer over low heat for 20 minutes. Turn the chicken over, and then cover and simmer for another 10 minutes.
- Uncover the pan, and then increase the heat to high and return the sauce to a boil. While occasionally turning and basting the chicken, continue boiling the sauce, uncovered, until it is reduced by half and thickens slightly, 5–7 minutes. Serve with steamed white rice.
CHICKEN ADOBO RECIPE
Estimated Reading Time 5 mins See details »
FILIPINO CHICKEN ADOBO (SO FLAVORFUL & EASY!)
Reviews 12Servings 6Cuisine AsianCategory Main Dish
- Whisk the marinade ingredients together in a large bowl or freezer bag. Add chicken and turn to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator 4-24 hours.
- Heat oil in large heavy bottom skillet/braiser (with a tight-fitting lid) or Dutch oven over medium high heat. Once hot, remove chicken from marinade (don’t discard marinade) and pat dry as you add chicken to the skillet. Brown chicken on each side then stir in reserved marinade, water and bay leaves.
- Bring the chicken to a boil, then cover and reduce to LOW. Simmer, covered for 25 minutes, flipping the chicken once at 15 minutes and replacing lid.
- After 25 minutes, remove the lid and simmer until the chicken is cooked through and the sauce is reduced to a sticky glaze, about 10- 20 more minutes. Be prepared to stir in additional water if the sauce evaporates too much. Alternatively (but not likely), if the sauce isn't thick enough, remove the cooked chicken to a plate and continue to simmer the sauce until thickened. Return chicken and turn to coat.
CHICKEN ADOBO - ONOLICIOUS HAWAIʻI
4.8/5 (15)Estimated Reading Time 7 minsServings 3Total Time 1 hr 10 mins
- Heat the coconut oil over medium heat in a big pot. Add garlic, whole peppercorns, red pepper flakes, and saute for 5 minutes (until the garlic is golden and everything smells really good).
- Stir in the coconut milk, coconut vinegar, and soy sauce, plus 1 cup water. Add bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Then turn heat down to a simmer. Put the lid on and let simmer for 45 minutes.
- Remove lid. Bring heat back to medium and cook another 15 minutes. The liquid/sauce will get thicker and gravy-like. Keep cooking until it reaches the consistency that you prefer. Chicken should be falling-off-the-bone tender by this point. Remove and discard the bay leaves. Eat with rice ^_^
THE BEST FILIPINO CHICKEN ADOBO RECIPE & VIDEO ...
4.9/5 (20)Total Time 37 minsServings 4
- Heat a large dutch oven or a dip pan over medium high heat and add the cooking oil. Place chicken thighs, skin side down. Cook for 6 to 7 minutes or until chicken skin is golden brown and crispy.
- Meanwhile, let’s make the sauce! In a mixing bowl, combine soy sauce, vinegar, sake, fish sauce, sugar, chopped garlic, lime zest, bay leaves and black pepper. Stir until sugar is all melted.
- Flip over the chicken and tap out about half amount of the fat from the bottom of the pan. If you want to keep the chicken fat, go ahead and spoon it out and save it for later use! It’s amazing to make fried rice or even simple fried egg!
- Pour the sauce mixture and bring it to boil. Cover, reduce heat to medium low and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes.
PORK AND CHICKEN ADOBO RECIPE - PANLASANG PINOY
5/5 (3)Total Time 1 hr 15 minsCategory Main CourseCalories 927 per serving
- Remove the garlic and set aside. Add pork and chicken. Cook for 5 minutes or until the color turns light brown.
- Add whole peppercorn, bay leaves, oyster sauce, soy sauce, and water. Let boil and simmer until the meat gets tender.
EASY CHICKEN ADOBO RECIPE FILIPINO STYLE - DELICRUNCH RECIPES
5/5 (2)Category Main CourseCuisine Asian, Filipino CuisineCalories 400 per serving
- Place the chicken in a bowl. In a separate bowl or liquid measuring cup, combine vinegar, soy sauce, brown sugar, pepper, minced garlic, bay leaves and chili flakes. Pour the mixture to the chicken and marinade for atleast an hour or more.
- Heat an oil in a pan. Fry the chicken until light brown in all sides. You can add more garlic if desired while searing.
- Using a pan, lightly brown the chicken then transfer it with the marinade mixture to the slow cooker. Set to high for 4 hours or 7-8 hours for low and medium cooking.
CHICKEN ADOBO - JO COOKS
4.6/5 (21)Total Time 1 hr 15 minsCategory Dinner, Main CourseCalories 654 per serving
- Prep the marinade: In a large bowl, combine the soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, half of the garlic and the bay leaves. Add the chicken thighs and toss well. Marinate for 20 minutes to overnight.
- Sear the chicken: In a large skillet, with a lid, heat 2 tbsp of the vegetable oil. Remove the chicken from the marinade, reserving the marinade, and cook about 4 minutes per side on high heat or until golden brown. Transfer the cooked chicken to a plate.
- Caramelize the onions: Add the remaining 1 tbsp of oil to the skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until the onion has softened and has begun to caramelize, about 5 minutes. If wanting to spice this up, now is the time to add some red chilies. Stir in the remaining garlic and cook for another minute until aromatic.
- Braise the chicken: Add the chicken pieces back to the skillet right over the onion, pour the reserved marinade over the chicken and about ¼ cup of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover the skillet and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes. Remove the lid from the skillet and increase the heat to medium-high. Cook for another 5 to 10 minutes, or until the sauce has started to reduce, thicken slightly and become glossy.
BEST FILIPINO CHICKEN ADOBO RECIPE (HOW TO COOK ADOBONG ...
Category Main CourseTotal Time 40 mins See details »
WHAT IS THE BEST CHICKEN ADOBO RECIPE? WE THINK THIS IS
Author Bianchi MendozaEstimated Reading Time 3 mins See details »
THE BEST FILIPINO CHICKEN ADOBO RECIPE | RECIPE CLOUD APP
See details »
FILIPINO CHICKEN ADOBO RECIPE (ADOBONG MANOK) - CHEF BILLY ...
See details »
CHICKEN ADOBO RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
See details »
THE BEST CHICKEN ADOBO - YOUTUBE
See details »
CHICKEN ADOBO - LUTONG BAHAY RECIPE
See details »
FAMOUS CHICKEN ADOBO - TFRECIPES.COM
See details »
THE BEST CHICKEN ADOBONG TUYO RECIPE | REDUCED CHICKEN ...
See details »
HOW TO COOK SWEET CHICKEN ADOBO | BEST CHOICE KITCHEN ...
See details »
You'll also love
Want to buy ingredients ?