GRANDPA'S BRAISED BEEF
Provided by Rachael Ray : Food Network
Yield 5 to 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat with a thin layer of extra-virgin olive oil. Add the onions, and garlic to the hot oil and sweat them until very soft and very light caramel in color, 20 to 30 minutes. Turn off the heat and reserve.
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add a thin layer of oil to the pan. Pat the meat dry and season very liberally with salt and pepper. Brown the meat to a deep brown all over, 12 to 15 minutes.
- Peel the potatoes and very thinly slice them lengthwise into planks. Slice the tomatoes working over a bowl to catch their juices.
- Arrange 1/2 the onions over top of the meat, season with salt, pepper and 1 tablespoon thyme. Arrange 1/2 the potatoes over the onions and dress the potatoes with a liberal drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil, about 1 tablespoon, salt, pepper, rosemary, and a handful freshly grated cheese. Top the potatoes with 1/2 the tomatoes and their juices, and season with salt and pepper. Scatter a few leaves of torn basil. Repeat the layers. Do not add basil to the top layer of tomatoes.
- Cover the pan and roast the meat in the oven until very tender, 4 hours. Cool and store for make-ahead meal.
- To reheat: Reheat, covered, in a preheated 325 degree F oven until warmed through, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Take off the lid of the pot, drizzle the top of the meat with oil, sprinkle with cheese, and broil to lightly crust the top. Cut down through the layers of the potatoes, tomatoes, and onions to portion the meat, serve in shallow bowls with crusty bread and pan juices.
I've only tried this once, and was actually rather successful. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Since I came across it again, I'll have to try it again soon.
Provided by Kayne
Categories Roast Beef
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Rub beef generously, all over, with salt, pepper and mustard.
- Sautee the bacon in large heavy pan.
- Remove bacon.
- Add oil.
- When hot, add the beef and brown evenly on all sides.
- Add the onions and herbs. Cook until the onions are nearly tender, then add the paprika, tomato paste, wine, stock and replace the bacon.
- Cover the pot and simmer 1 1/2 to 2 hours, until tender.
- Remove and let it stand for 5 - 10 minutes before carving.
- Meanwhile, stir the flour into small amount of water. Add this into hot cooking liquid.
- Stir constantly till thick.
- Stir in the cream of your choice (I liked it best with sour cream).
- Serve with mashed or fried potatoes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 1144, Fat 83.3, SaturatedFat 31.3, Cholesterol 279.1, Sodium 820.5, Carbohydrate 11, Fiber 1.1, Sugar 2.9, Protein 78.2
SOUTHWESTERN BRAISED BEEF
This delicious stew from Canadian Living can also be made in the crock pot; just omit the two cups of water or else it will be more like a soup! Cook on high for 4 to 5 hours. The recipe also calls for ancho chili powder which is not widely available. If you can get it, by all means add it for a little extra kick, but it is perfectly fine without as well. Serve with basmati rice and a nice green salad.
Provided by Irmgard
Yield 8-10 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 15
- In a small bowl, combine the chili powder, cumin, coriander, oregano, ancho chili powder, allspice and cinnamon; stir in 2 tablespoons of the oil to make a paste.
- Set aside.
- In a Dutch oven or large saucepan, heat the remaining oil over medium-high heat.
- Brown the beef in batches.
- Remove to a plate and drain the fat from the pan.
- Fry the onions and garlic over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chili powder mixture and fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the beef and stir for about 1 minute.
- Add the beans, 2 cups of water, tomatoes, salt and sugar.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 1 hour.
- Uncover and simmer until slightly thickened and the meat is tender, about 30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 434, Fat 23.1, SaturatedFat 7.3, Cholesterol 72.6, Sodium 611.2, Carbohydrate 27.8, Fiber 8.4, Sugar 5.7, Protein 30.4
FIRESIDE BEEF STEW
This stew is perfect for warming up on a wintry day. It is a good dish to make when you're busy, since it's quick to prepare and doesn't need attention while cooking. Instead of noodles, I often serve it with rice.
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 8 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 12
- In a medium Dutch oven or 3-qt. casserole, toss meat with browning sauce. Mix in cereal. Add all remaining ingredients except noodles., Cover and bake at 325° for 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until the meat and vegetables are tender. Serve with noodles.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 199 calories, Fat 6g fat (0 saturated fat), Cholesterol 72mg cholesterol, Sodium 50mg sodium, Carbohydrate 12g carbohydrate (0 sugars, Fiber 0 fiber), Protein 21g protein. Diabetic Exchanges
BRAISED BEEF AND TORTELLONI (OLIVE GARDEN COPYCAT)
I've never actually tried this recipe--it's my best guess to correct my mistakes from last time I tried this dish
Provided by A Skinny Cook
Categories One Dish Meal
Yield 2-4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Heat oil on high heat in a large nonstick pan.
- Toss short ribs in flour, add to pan, and sear on all sides.
- Reduce heat to low and add garlic; cook and stir for about 1 min.
- Add tomato, mushrooms, Marsala wine, and Italian seasoning one at a time, allowing about 1-2 min between each for liquid to evaporate.
- Cover pan and braise for 3 hr or until very tender, checking and stirring every 30 min to make sure liquid has not evaporated away (add more Marsala if liquid evaporates).
- Increase heat to medium high and heat thoroughly.
- Serve over tortelloni.
BRAISED BEEF CHEEKS
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees F (135 degrees C).
- Heat olive oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add beef in batches and cook until browned, about 4 minutes per side. Add onion and carrot; cook until tender, about 20 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes.
- Pour beef stock and wine into the Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Stir in porcini mushrooms, bouillon cubes, thyme, and bay leaves. Lay a piece of parchment paper over the surface. Cover with a tight lid.
- Bake in the preheated oven until beef is very tender, 5 to 6 hours.
- Transfer beef to a plate. Discard bay leaves. Blend cooking liquid with an immersion blender to make a smooth sauce. Serve beef with sauce.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 684.8 calories, Carbohydrate 6.3 g, Cholesterol 160 mg, Fat 53.3 g, Fiber 1.3 g, Protein 39.1 g, SaturatedFat 20.5 g, Sodium 365.9 mg, Sugar 2.5 g
WINTERTIME BRAISED BEEF STEW
This easy beef stew is incredibly rich. Since it's even better a day or two later, you may want to make a double batch. -Michaela Rosenthal, Woodland Hills, California
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 8 servings (2 quarts).
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Preheat oven to 350°. Toss beef with flour and steak seasoning., In an ovenproof Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Brown beef in batches; remove with a slotted spoon., In same pan, heat remaining oil over medium heat. Add onion, celery, parsnips and carrots; cook and stir until onion is tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomatoes, wine, jelly, bay leaves, oregano and beef; bring to a boil., Bake, covered, 1-1/2 hours. Stir in beans; bake, covered, 30-40 minutes longer or until beef and vegetables are tender. Remove bay leaves and oregano sprigs. If desired, sprinkle with parsley. Freeze option: Freeze cooled stew in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 310 calories, Fat 9g fat (3g saturated fat), Cholesterol 64mg cholesterol, Sodium 373mg sodium, Carbohydrate 26g carbohydrate (8g sugars, Fiber 5g fiber), Protein 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges
FIRESIDE BEEF STEW
Our rich, comforting beef stew chock-full of root vegetables is just the thing to get you through winter. The one-pot wonder can be made two to three days in advance, then reheated and finished with the parsley-horseradish topping and the sour cream right before serving.
Provided by Martha Stewart
Number Of Ingredients 18
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a 5-quart Dutch oven over medium-high. Generously season beef with salt and pepper. Working in two batches, sear beef, flipping once, until deep golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a bowl.
- Remove fat from Dutch oven; add remaining 1 tablespoon oil. Stir in onion, celery, and garlic; cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 6 to 8 minutes. Add tomato paste and flour and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add Worcestershire and wine and cook, scraping up browned bits from bottom, 1 minute. Add broth and bay leaves.
- Cut beef into 1 1/2-inch chunks; return to Dutch oven along with any juices. Bring to a boil, then partially cover and reduce heat to a simmer. Cook until meat is tender, about 1 1/2 hours. Add potatoes, carrots, and turnip, re-cover partially, and continue to cook until vegetables are tender, about 1 hour, 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Combine parsley and horseradish in a small bowl. Serve stew with dollops of sour cream, topped with parsley-horseradish mixture.
FALL-APART-TENDER BRAISED TOPSIDE OF BEEF
I found this recipe in the booklet that came with my slow cooker (crock pot). Its supposed to be peppered but I opted to marinade my joint overnight instead. I used Karin...'s All Purpose Marinade (Although I used quarter cup sundried tomato infused olive oil and quarter cup chilli infused olive oil instead of regular olive oil). The original recipe uses 8 shallot onions, 4 regular carrots sliced, and 2 parsnips, sliced. But I used red onions, celeriac, and shatanay carrots. I advise you try shatanay carrots as they are so much sweeter than regular ones! I cooked mine for 8 hours on auto and it came out lovely and tender. Please take the gravy granules measurement as an approximation, and add to your taste.
Provided by Brit Bird
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Preheat slow cooker.
- Heat oil in a large pan (I find a wok is best), and carefully brown beef on all sides, turning with two wooden spoons. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Add the vegetables and garlic to the pan and, stirring regularly, cook for 5 mins until the onions are beginning to go soft.
- Transfer the vegetables to warmed crock pot and place the beef on top, push the beef down so it nestles among the vegetables.
- Dissolve the stock cube in the just boiled water, add the wine, oregano, mixed herbs and pepper.
- Pour over the beef, add the bay leaf and cover. Cook on auto for 8-10 hours or low for 10-12 hours.
- Once the beef is cooked, carefully remove from the crock pot and place on a warmed serving platter. Remove the vegetables with a slotted spoon and arrange around the beef. Cover and keep warm.
- For the gravy, ladle the liquid left in the crock pot into a saucepan, stir in the gravy granules and bring to the boil, simmer for 2 minutes.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and savoy cabbage.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 2292.1, Fat 225.8, SaturatedFat 92.8, Cholesterol 309.7, Sodium 757.5, Carbohydrate 31.2, Fiber 7.4, Sugar 14, Protein 29.4
More about "fireside braised beef recipes"
BRAISED BEEF - SIMPLY HOME COOKED
4.9/5 (30)Total Time 2 hrs 25 minsCategory Main CourseCalories 569 per serving
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over high heat. Brown the beef chunks. Then remove them and set aside.
- In a Dutch oven pot, begin layering the ingredients in the following order; 1/2 browned beef chunks, 1/2 tsp cumin, 1/2 tsp paprika, 1 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper, then half the sautéed onion and half the garlic (pressed).
OVEN-BRAISED BEEF WITH TOMATOES AND GARLIC - SMITTEN KITCHEN
WORLD BEST COFFEE RECIPES: FIRESIDE BRAISED BEEF
BEER-BRAISED BEEF WITH ONIONS - THE PIONEER WOMAN
BRAISED BEEF - FILIPINO/CHINESE STYLE - FOXY FOLKSY
BRAISED BEEF TOPSIDE | BEEF RECIPES | TESCO REAL FOOD
BRAISED BEEF RECIPE | JAMES BEARD FOUNDATION
22 MEATY BRAISING RECIPES THAT FALL OFF THE BONE | TASTE OF …
RED WINE BRAISED BEEF | RICARDO
HOW TO MAKE BRAISED BEEF RECIPE LIKE AN ITALIANVINCENZO'S PLATE
HOW TO TURN BRAISED BEEF INTO 10 DIFFERENT DINNERS
THE BEST RED WINE BRAISED BEEF RECIPE - TASTES LOVELY
THE FIRESIDE CHEF’S 5 MOST-LOVED CAMPFIRE RECIPES
FIRESIDE BEEF STEW - BETTER HOMES & GARDENS
OVEN BRAISED BEEF - COOK IT REAL GOOD
BRAISED BEEF STEW RECIPE - SIMPLY HOME COOKED
BRAISED BEEF - CRAVING TASTY
FIRESIDE BEEF STEW RECIPE | RECIPE | BEEF STEW RECIPE, CLASSIC BEEF ...
EASY BRAISED BEEF RECIPE - A NOURISHING PLATE
23 BRAISED BEEF RECIPES | GOURMET TRAVELLER
WHAT TO SERVE WITH BRAISED BEEF? 6 BEST SIDE DISHES THAT ARE …
FIRESIDE BRAISED BEEF – RECIPES NETWORK
OVEN BRAISED BEEF ROAST - OH SWEET BASIL
BRAISED BEEF - 9 SIMPLE STEPS - HOW TO BRAISE BEEF
BRAISED BEEF CUBES WITH GARLIC - COOK LIKE CZECHS
HIGHLANDS BRAISED BEEF RECIPE - NYT COOKING
FIRESIDE BEEF STEW RECIPE | EATINGWELL
BRAISED BEEF | EASY RECIPE - COOK WE WILL
BRAISED BEEF RECIPE (WITH RED WINE) | KITCHN
HOW TO COOK BEEF BRAISING STEAK - OUR RECIPE | FARMISON & CO™
BRAISED CORNED BEEF RECIPE - DINNER, THEN DESSERT
BRAISING STEAK RECIPES | BBC GOOD FOOD
TIPSY BRAISED BEEF | METRO
FIRESIDE BRAISED BEEF RECIPE - FOOD.COM
My Chinese-style braised beef recipe that makes you feel good | Marion's Kitchen75K views-08:11
Braised short rib of beef with tarragon emulsion recipe24K views-02:47
A red wine braised beef short rib and new potato crunch recipe574 views-08:58
Braised Beef | Easy braised beef recipe145 views-03:50
How To Make Robert’s Braised Beef Pot Roast & Gnocchi | Top Chef Top Recipe | Bravo7.8K views-05:12
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to make braised beef?How to make braised beef. In a dutch oven pot, add the browned beef chunks, sautéed onion, cumin, paprika, salt, pepper, and pressed garlic. Pour red wine and water into the pot, cover with a lid and bring to a boil on your cooktop. Then place in the oven and cook for 1 and a half hours at 360 Fahrenheit.
How to cook beef braising steak in oven?Buy Beef Braising Steak. Remember to remove your beef braising steak from the packaging, pat dry and bring to room temperature. Pre heat your oven to 135 oc temperature. Next choose a suitable sized oven proof casserole with a tight fitting lid.
What is the best braised beef roast?Juicy, fall apart beef roast does not have to be bland. This Oven Braised Beef Roast is probably the best braised beef I’ve ever had and it screams Sunday Dinner! Our readers and are the very best!
What is the best ingredient for braising beef?Ingredients for braised beef: Beef chuck pot roast (boneless) olive oil. cumin. paprika. salt. black pepper. onion.