PANKO FRIED OYSTERS FOR TWO
After eating the "World's Best" Fried Oysters at The Old Post Office Restaurant at Edisto, SC, I wanted to duplicate them. This comes mighty close! I believe the double breading and Panko bread crumbs are the secret to these light and crispy oysters. If served as appetizers, they will disappear faster than free money so double or triple the recipe! The Hot Sauce is a modified version of Secret's Recipe #50051 and the perfect complement to these Oysters.
Provided by BeachGirl
Categories < 60 Mins
Yield 12 oysters, 2 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 16
- HOT SAUCE: Mix all ingredients together.
- To allow flavors to blend, refrigerate several hours.
- Hot Sauce will keep several days in the refrigerator.
- Be sure to cover it tightly.
- Line colander with two layers of paper towel.
- Rinse oysters, drain and put in colander, patting to dry.
- EGG DIP: In small bowl, add egg and milk; whisk to blend well.
- If using only egg whites, do not whisk enough to be dry/frothy.
- FLOUR COATING: Put all ingredients in small plastic bag and shake to mix well.
- PANKO COATING: in a small bowl, add ingredients and mix well.
- TO BREAD OYSTERS: Step 1: Dip 2 or 3 oysters in Egg Dip, letting any excess drain off.
- Step 2: Place them in Flour Coating, shaking to completely coat oysters.
- Remove from Flour Mixture.
- Step 3: Repeat step 1.
- Step 4: Place them in Panko Coating bowl.
- Roll them over and get them completely coated with bread crumbs.
- With tongs, gently remove them from breadcrumbs and place in a single layer on a baking tray lined with plastic wrap.
- Repeat Steps 1-4 until all oysters are breaded.
- Cover breaded oysters with plastic wrap and refrigerate at least 2 hours or more.
- This breading can be done up to 8 hours ahead.
- TO FRY OYSTERS: Heat frying oil in deep pan to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- With tongs, gently remove oysters from baking sheet and gently drop them into the hot oil.
- Fry the oysters in small (6-8 oysters each) batches to keep from lowering the temperature of the oil too much.
- Fry about 2 minutes or until golden brown on one side, turn and brown other side (about 1-2 minutes).
- Remove from oil and drain on layers of paper towels.
- NOTE: After cooking one batch of oysters, let the temperature of the oil return to about 375, before cooking the next batch.
- If the oil temperature is not hot enough before adding the oysters, they will taste greasy, rather than light.
- Serve immediately with Hot Sauce.
DORSEY'S FRIED OYSTERS
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium high heat to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Combine oysters, oyster juice, egg, salt, pepper and Old Bay Seasoning. Gently stir in pancake mix to make a thin batter.
- Spoon oysters one at a time into hot oil. There should be just enough batter surrounding oysters to coat them but it should not be too thick.
- Fry until golden brown on both sides. Drain and serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 168 calories, Carbohydrate 11.5 g, Cholesterol 49.1 mg, Fat 10.9 g, Fiber 0.3 g, Protein 6.1 g, SaturatedFat 1.6 g, Sodium 433.7 mg, Sugar 0.5 g
Jah Sang Ho - Oysters are one of those three fruits of the sea permissible to Buddhists and were therefore insisted upon for New Year lunch by my grandmother. Cooking them with a batter is traditional. Their name, ho see, sounds like the Chinese words for good business.
Provided by Eileen Yin-Fei Lo
Yield Makes 4 to 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Combine all batter ingredients in a bowl and reserve.
- Heat wok over high heat for 1 minute. Pour in peanut oil, heat to 375°F. Dip each oyster into the batter until well coated. When a wisp of white smoke appears, lower oysters into oil. Deep-fry 5 at a time until light brown, about 3 minutes. Remove oysters, place in strainer, drain over a bowl.
- Deep-fry last batch to a golden brown, about 4 minutes. Place cooked oysters back in oil for 2 minutes more so they become golden brown. During frying, always control heat. You may need to lower if oysters brown too much, or raise if they cook too slowly.
EASY, DELICIOUS FRIED OYSTERS
- 1. Heat about 1/4" oil in deep skillet over high heat, until bubbly.
- 2. In bowl, combine flour, salt & pepper. Place bread crumbs in another bowl. Dredge oysters in flour mix, then dip into eggs. Roll in breadcrumbs.
- 3. Place about 5 oysters at a time into oil, fry for about 2 min, turning once. Drain on paper towels.
PAN FRIED OYSTERS
I love oysters, raw, cooked, smoked or any way I can get them. Pan fried is easy, fast and really good. I can eat this by myself easily. Maybe I should double or triple this??
Provided by Tebo3759
Yield 2 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Mix dry ingredients.
- Dredge oysters in this and let sit on paper 5 minutes.
- Heat oil and butter until sizzling hot.
- Add oysters.
- Brown lightly 30-40 seconds on each side.
- Serve immediately with lemon juice or tartar sauce.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 638, Fat 31.6, SaturatedFat 5.1, Cholesterol 113.3, Sodium 388.3, Carbohydrate 60.5, Fiber 3.4, Sugar 0.4, Protein 27.7
CRISPY OVEN-FRIED OYSTERS
These flavorful breaded and baked oysters, served with a zippy jalapeno mayonnaise, were created by Marie Rizzio of Interlochen, Michigan. "I entered this recipe in a seafood contest and took first place in the hors d'oeuvres category," Marie says. "They make an interesting appetizer for entertaining." -Marie Rizzio, Interlochen, Michigan
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield about 2-1/2 dozen (about 2/3 cup jalapeno mayonnaise).
Number Of Ingredients 19
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a shallow bowl, combine flour, salt and pepper. In another shallow bowl, whisk eggs. In a third bowl, combine bread crumbs, cheese, parsley and garlic salt. , Coat oysters with flour mixture, then dip in eggs, and coat with crumb mixture. Place in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan; drizzle with oil., Bake until golden brown, 12-15 minutes. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk mayonnaise ingredients. Serve with oysters.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 75 calories, Fat 4g fat (1g saturated fat), Cholesterol 25mg cholesterol, Sodium 146mg sodium, Carbohydrate 6g carbohydrate (0 sugars, Fiber 0 fiber), Protein 3g protein.
There are easier ways to fry oysters, and faster ways, too, but if you're going to bother to make them at home, you might as well have the best way. I won't pretend it's not a little bit of a project. There are bread crumbs to make, from a day-old French loaf. It's easy if you have a blender or food processor - just remove the crust and pulse the cubes into fluffy crumbs. My recipe also calls for clarified butter. It can be made ahead, it keeps, and it really makes a difference.
Provided by David Tanis
Yield 4 to 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan over low heat, then raise the heat a little and cook at a bare simmer for about 10 minutes. Allow to cool slightly, then pour through a fine-meshed strainer. (Save any milky juices, solids or foam left behind to add to rice or vegetables.) The clarified butter can be kept in a covered jar in the refrigerator for several weeks.
- Remove the crusts from the French loaf. Tear the bread into chunks and pulse in a food processor or blender to make about 4 cups of crumbs. The crumbs will keep in the refrigerator, loosely covered, for several days, or for longer in the freezer, tightly wrapped.
- Season the flour generously with salt and pepper. Dip the oysters in the flour and then in the beaten eggs. Spread a layer of bread crumbs on a baking sheet. Place the oysters on the sheet and sprinkle with more crumbs. Roll the oysters in the crumbs so that they are well coated, adding more if necessary.
- Heat a wide cast-iron skillet over a medium-high flame. Add clarified butter to a depth of 1/2 inch. Toss in a bread crumb - if it browns quickly the butter is hot enough. Carefully slip in breaded oysters in a single layer, frying in batches if needed to avoid crowding. Adjust the heat to keep the oysters gently bubbling in the butter. It should take about 2 minutes to get a golden, crisp coating. Turn the oysters and brown the other side, then drain on kitchen towels. Serve hot with red-pepper mayonnaise, lemon wedges and arugula or watercress, if you like.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 775, UnsaturatedFat 16 grams, Carbohydrate 58 grams, Fat 47 grams, Fiber 3 grams, Protein 31 grams, SaturatedFat 26 grams, Sodium 823 milligrams, Sugar 4 grams, TransFat 2 grams
DEEP FRIED OYSTERS
- Heat deep fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Combine flour, salt and black pepper. Dredge oysters in flour mixture, dip in egg and roll in bread crumbs.
- Carefully slide oysters into hot oil. Cook five at a time until golden brown, about 2 minutes. Drain briefly on paper towels. Serve hot.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 576.8 calories, Carbohydrate 27.4 g, Cholesterol 99.6 mg, Fat 47.9 g, Fiber 1.4 g, Protein 10 g, SaturatedFat 6.7 g, Sodium 776 mg, Sugar 1.7 g
- Heat oil in a deep fryer to 350 degrees F.
- Whisk together the buttermilk, garlic powder, paprika and hot sauce in a casserole dish. Whisk together the flour, cornmeal, salt and pepper together in a separate casserole dish.
- Add the oysters to the buttermilk and let soak. Then remove, letting the excess drip off, and dredge through the cornmeal mixture, tapping off the excess. Fry in the hot oil in batches, until golden and crisp, about 2 minutes. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Serve hot with the Remoulade Sauce.
- Mix together the mayonnaise, mustard, paprika, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce in a small bowl until well combined. Season with salt and pepper. Serve immediately or cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until serving.
- Heat the butter and oil in a skillet. Roll the oysters in the egg and crackers crumbs and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Saute the oysters, turning once, until golden brown. Sprinkle the parsley or paprika on top and garnish with lemon.
More about "fried oysters recipes"
SOUTHERN FRIED OYSTERS | WORKS BECAUSE IT'S SIMPLE ...
4.5/5 (38)Total Time 8 minsCategory Main CourseCalories 742 per serving
- Rinse off the oysters under cool running water. (If the oysters are super fresh you can skip this step) Place the rinsed oysters into a bowl and cover with the marinade mix of buttermilk/or whole-milk and a few splashes of your favorite hot sauce, then into the refrigerator for 30 to 40 minutes. Not overnight, the natural acids in the milk will break down the oysters' texture too much.
- Take the oysters straight from the buttermilk/or whole milk (do not rinse) and place them straight into the dredging mix of flour, cornmeal seasoning. If you like a thicker fryed oyster, not like the blog post photo, you can repeat the dredging process twice.
- Use peanut oil if possible, the second choice being canola oil (vegetable oil has zero flavor). The high smoke point of peanut oil is preferred when frying. Google the smoke point of whichever oil you use beforehand. Never exceed that temperature.TIP: If the oil does get too hot and exceeds the smoking point, there is no saving the oil. The flavor will be rancid and not useable. Start over...
FRIED OYSTERS - THE SEASONED MOM
Reviews 1Category Appetizer, DinnerCuisine SouthernTotal Time 30 mins
- For the Tartar Sauce: Combine all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer to 350 degrees F, in a deep cast iron skillet, or in a Dutch oven over medium heat to a depth of about 2-3 inches, until it reaches 350 degrees F. If you don’t have a deep-fry thermometer, sprinkle a few drops of water on the hot oil. If it sizzles, the oil is hot enough.
- Drain the oysters in a colander and pat dry with paper towels. Use a toothpick to poke a small hole in the large round part of each oyster.
- Put the buttermilk in a shallow dish. In a separate shallow dish, combine the cornmeal, flour, salt, Old Bay seasoning and pepper.
CRISPY SOUTHERN FRIED OYSTERS RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
4.2/5 (47)Total Time 20 minsCategory Appetizer, EntreeCalories 295 per serving See details »
SHALLOW FRIED OYSTERS RECIPE BY ARCHANA'S KITCHEN
4.9/5 Servings 6Cuisine IndianTotal Time 35 mins See details »
BEST SOUTHERN CRISPY FRIED OYSTERS | GRITSANDPINECONES.COM
5/5 (23)Total Time 20 minsCategory Appetizer, Main DishCalories 559 per serving See details »
PAN FRIED OYSTERS - CRUNCHY PANKO BREADED OR BEER BATTERED
4.9/5 (15)Total Time 20 minsCategory Cooking Tips And How TosCalories 785 per serving
- Dip the oysters in the egg wash mixture and thoroughly roll them in the breading. Arrange them onto a pan sheet.
FRIED OYSTERS | FOR THE LOVE OF COOKING
3.3/5 (3)Category MainCuisine AmericanTotal Time 15 mins
- Make the cocktail sauce. Combine the ketchup and wasabi horseradish together, to taste, mix well then set aside to allow flavors to mingle.
- Combine the panko seasonings with fresh parsley, garlic powder, and sea salt & freshly cracked pepper, to taste.
- Dip the oysters, one at a time, in the panko crumbs, making sure to coat the entire oyster evenly. Place into the HOT skillet. Repeat with the remaining jar of oysters, making sure not to overcrowd the pan. Cook until golden brown, about 2 minutes, carefully flip the oysters over, and continue to cook until golden brown and crisp, about 1-2 minutes.
PAN FRIED OYSTERS, WHATS COOKING AMERICA
Cuisine AmericanCategory Main CourseServings 2Total Time 20 mins
- Dip drained oysters in beaten eggs, and then in bread crumbs seasoned with salt and pepper (coating each oyster thoroughly). Set aside to dry at least 1/2 hour.
- NOTE: An easy way to coat the oysters with the bread crumbs is to place the crumbs in a resealable plastic bag, add egg-dipped oysters, seal bag, and then gently shake.
FRIED OYSTERS RECIPE | MYRECIPES
5/5 (1)Total Time 2 hrs 40 minsServings 6-8
- Fry oysters, in batches, 3 to 4 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Serve immediately with sauce.
FRIED OYSTERS RECIPE | OYSTER RECIPES - FULTON FISH MARKET
- Squeeze the juice from two lemon wedges into a serving bowl. Add the mayonnaise, garlic, Aleppo pepper, ⅛ teaspoon of salt, and ⅛ teaspoon of black pepper; stir to combine the aioli. Cover and chill.
- Carefully shuck the oysters with a shucking knife; hold the oyster wrapped in a tea towel in one hand, and slide the tip of the knife into the hinge of the oyster, located at the thin end where the top and bottom shell meet. Once the tip of the knife is in the oyster, wiggle the knife back along the length of the shell to sever the adductor muscle that is attached to the top shell, opening up the oyster.
SOUTHERN FRIED OYSTERS RECIPE | BUMBLE BEE SEAFOODS
Estimated Reading Time 40 secs See details »
SOUTHERN FRIED OYSTERS | PAULA DEEN
Servings 12Total Time 12 mins See details »
3 EASY FRIED OYSTER RECIPES – WHITE STONE OYSTER COMPANY
Estimated Reading Time 4 mins See details »
CRISPY FRIED OYSTERS WITH CORNMEAL BATTER RECIPE
4.4/5 (156)Calories 1202 per serving See details »
SIMPLE FRIED OYSTERS - RECIPES | COOKS.COM
See details »
HOW TO FRY OYSTERS - OLD BAY FRIED OYSTERS - SEAFOOD RECIPE
See details »
FRIED OYSTERS ARE DELICIOUS. THEY’RE EVEN BETTER AT HOME ...
See details »
“WE HAVE JUST LEFT REALITY” WITH THIS CRISPY FRIED OYSTER ...
See details »
#oysters #60-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #preparation #occasion #main-dish #seafood #easy #dinner-party #deep-fry #dietary #shellfish #3-steps-or-less #technique
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What's the best way to make oven fried oysters?In a third bowl, combine the bread crumbs, cheese, parsley and garlic salt. Coat oysters with flour mixture, then dip in eggs, and coat with crumb mixture. Place in a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan; drizzle with oil. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
How to make pan fried oysters with tartar sauce?DIRECTIONS 1 Mix dry ingredients. 2 Dredge oysters in this and let sit on paper 5 minutes. 3 Heat oil and butter until sizzling hot. 4 Add oysters. 5 Brown lightly 30-40 seconds on each side. 6 Serve immediately with lemon juice or tartar sauce.
How to make dipping sauce for Southern fried oysters?For the dipping sauce: In a small bowl, combine the Vidalia Onion Peach Grilling Marinade and sour cream. Mix well and set aside. In a small bowl, place the flour. In a second small bowl, whisk the egg and 3 tablespoons of the hot sauce. In a third small bowl, place the panko.
How long do you fry oysters in cornmeal batter?In a medium bowl, combine the cornmeal, sugar, salt, pepper, and flour. Lift an oyster out of the egg mixture and let excess drip off and roll it in the cornmeal mixture to coat. Then add it to the hot oil. Fry the oysters for about 2 to 4 minutes, or until they are golden brown.