GRATIN DAUPHINOISE (SCALLOPED POTATOES)
Provided by Shelley Wiseman
Categories Milk/Cream Dairy Potato Side Bake Easter Vegetarian Kid-Friendly Leek Root Vegetable Family Reunion Christmas Eve Gourmet Pescatarian Wheat/Gluten-Free Peanut Free Tree Nut Free Soy Free No Sugar Added Kosher Small Plates
Yield Makes 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Preheat oven to 350°F with a rack in upper third of oven.
- Peel potatoes and thinly cut into 1/8 inch thick slices, using slicer if desired.
- Discard dark green part of leek and halve white and light green part lengthwise. Rinse layers under running water to remove any dirt and grit and pat dry. Thinly slice crosswise.
- Stir together white pepper and nutmeg with 1 3/4 teaspoons salt in a small bowl. Melt butter in a small heavy saucepan over medium-low heat and cook leek and garlic, stirring frequently, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Spread leek and butter mixture evenly in bottom of baking dish. Arrange one quarter of potatoes in a slightly overlapping layer over leeks, then pour 1/2 cup milk over potatoes, and sprinkle lightly with 1/2 teaspoon salt mixture. Layer potatoes with milk and salt mixture three more times in same manner.
- Place dish on a shallow baking pan and cover with foil. Bake until potatoes are almost tender, about 1 hour.
- Remove foil and pour cream over potatoes. Continue to bake, uncovered, until cream has been absorbed by potatoes and top is golden in spots, 30 to 40 minutes.
This traditional French casserole of thinly sliced potatoes with milk, cream, garlic, and Gruyere cheese, takes a little effort, but the result is a bubbling, indulgent accompaniment to a special meal.
Provided by Martha Stewart
Categories Food & Cooking Main Dish Recipes Casserole Recipes
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees, with rack in center. Generously butter a 9-by-12-inch glass baking dish. Peel potatoes, and slice into 1/8-inch-thick rounds. Place slices in a bowl of cold water as you go to prevent discoloration.
- In a medium saucepan, combine garlic, milk, heavy cream, salt, nutmeg, and bay leaf. Bring just to a simmer over medium heat, and pour into prepared baking dish. Discard bay leaf.
- Drain potatoes in a colander, and transfer to baking dish. Using a large spoon, toss potatoes with milk mixture pressing down gently to distribute the potato slices evenly. Season with pepper. Dot with butter, distributing evenly over entire surface; sprinkle with cheese.
- Place in oven; bake until potatoes can be pierced with a fork and top is brown, 45 to 50 minutes. Serve immediately.
ULTIMATE GRATIN DAUPHINOIS
An utterly irresistable creamy potato side dish with very few ingredients but oozing with flavour, try our ultimate gratin daphinois
Provided by Angela Nilsen
Categories Buffet, Dinner, Side dish, Supper
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Preheat the oven to 160C/Gas 4/fan oven 140C. Rub the butter all over the surface of a gratin dish, about 18x28cm/7x11in. Peel and slice the potatoes to a width of 3mm/1⁄8in. Lay the slices on a clean tea towel and pat dry. Keep them covered with the tea towel while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour the milk and cream into a saucepan. Add the garlic, thyme and shallot (if using). Slowly heat the milk and, just as it is about to reach boiling point and you see bubbles appearing around the edge of the pan, remove it from the heat. Strain the liquid into a large jug, sprinkle in the nutmeg and keep warm.
- Layer half the potato slices in the dish, slightly overlapping the slices and sprinkling with a little salt and freshly ground pepper between each layer. You don't have to be too neat with the lower layers, but keep some of your best slices for later, so the top looks good.
- Pour half the hot milk and cream over the potatoes, then finish off layering the rest of the potatoes (arranging them a bit more carefully this time). Pour over the rest of the hot milk and cream. Scatter the cheese over the top and bake for about one hour, until golden and tender. Leave the dish to stand for about 5 minutes, then serve sprinkled with a few fresh thyme leaves.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 384 calories, Fat 28 grams fat, SaturatedFat 18 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 27 grams carbohydrates, Fiber 2 grams fiber, Protein 7 grams protein, Sodium 0.27 milligram of sodium
CLASSIC BISTRO POTATO GRATIN DAUPHINOISE
Provided by Food Network
Yield 6 to 8 portions
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Butter a 2 quart flame proof casserole or gratin dish.
- Peel the potatoes and hold them in cold water until ready to proceed with the recipe.
- Combine the garlic, cream, salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Dry the potatoes fully and cut them into rounds, beginning at one end, using a mandoline. Set the blade on the mandoline to cut a thin, 1/8-inch thick, slice. Place the potato slices into the gratin dish carefully layering them in a circular fashion. Pour the seasoned cream over the potatoes and shake the dish gently to allow the cream to flow towards the bottom of the dish.
- Place the gratin dish on the stovetop over low heat and begin to warm the contents until the cream has begun to simmer. Cook the potatoes in the seasoned cream for 5 minutes and then place the gratin dish into the oven.
- Bake the potatoes for 45 to 60 minutes until the top has browned to a rich golden color and the cream is bubbling along the side of the dish.
- Remove the gratin from the oven and allow to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
From Ruth Reichl's Gourmet Weekly to you via my inbox, lol. Her words: This scalloped potato dish is part of our culinary repertoire, and we hope it will become part of yours too. There is something about the texture of the potatoes surrounded by creamy goodness and topped by golden brown cheese that wows people. It is perfect for a buffet supper or potluck; in our experience, it is the first thing to disappear. The technique of starting the potatoes in a saucepan of half-and-half and ending them in a buttered gratin dish comes from the masterful Jacques Pépin. Couldn't say it better myself, so I didn't. :) I did make minor tweaks to the ingredients/amounts.
Provided by Elmotoo
Categories < 4 Hours
Yield 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Put a rack in middle of oven and preheat oven to 400°F Generously butter a 2 1/2- to 3-quart gratin dish or other shallow baking dish.
- Peel potatoes. Cut crosswise into 1/16-inch-thick slices with slicer and transfer to a 4-quart heavy saucepan. Add half-and-half, garlic, salt, and pepper and bring just to a boil over moderate heat.
- Pour potato mixture into buttered dish, distributing potatoes evenly. Sprinkle nutmeg and cheese evenly over top. Bake until potatoes are tender and top is golden brown, 35 to 45 minutes. Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
MOM'S SCALLOPED POTATO GRATIN
These scalloped potatoes were one of my favorite foods growing up, but then I went to culinary school and learned, according to classical methods, how it was "supposed" to be made--and that's how I've been making it ever since. But recently, for whatever reason, I went back and tried to recreate my mother's version and was reminded of why I loved hers in the first place.
Provided by Chef John
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease a 2-quart casserole dish with 2 tablespoons butter and set aside.
- Peel potatoes and cut at a 45-degree angle into 1/4-inch thick round slices.
- Arrange 1/3 of the potato slices in an even layer in the bottom of the prepared dish. Season the layer very generously with salt, and sparingly with the freshly ground black pepper, and cayenne, if using. Top evenly with 1/3 of the Cheddar cheese. Repeat this process two more times for a total of three layers of potatoes, except for the last third of the cheese. Slowly and carefully pour in the milk, without upsetting the layers. The milk should almost, but not quite, cover the potatoes.
- Top with remaining Cheddar cheese and place the casserole dish on a sheet pan to catch any drips.
- Bake in the center of the preheated oven until potatoes are tender and the top is well browned and bubbling, about 1 hour and 15 minutes. Let rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 248.2 calories, Carbohydrate 29.2 g, Cholesterol 31.9 mg, Fat 10.8 g, Fiber 3.1 g, Protein 9.5 g, SaturatedFat 6.6 g, Sodium 131.6 mg, Sugar 5.9 g
More about "gratin dauphinoise scalloped potatoes recipes"
GRATIN DAUPHINOIS – AWESOME SCALLOPED POTATOES RECIPE
Reviews 38Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
FRENCH SCALLOPED POTATOES (GRATIN DAUPHINOIS) RECIPE
Servings 6Total Time 1 hrEstimated Reading Time 7 mins
DAUPHINOISE POTATO GRATIN - LA CLASSE DE CUISINE
RECIPES WITH JULIA CHILD: GRATIN DAUPHINOIS - AMERICAN …
POTATOES AU GRATIN (DAUPHINOISE) | RECIPETIN EATS
JULIA CHILD'S GRATIN DAUPHINOIS (AU GRATIN POTATOES)
BEST POTATOES AU GRATIN (POTATOES DAUPHINOISE) • THE …
POTATO DAUPHINOISE (SCALLOPED POTATOES)
GRATIN DAUPHINOIS | RECIPES | DELIA ONLINE
AU GRATIN POTATOES | FAVORITE FAMILY RECIPES
SCALLOPED POTATOES RECIPE (GRATIN DAUPHINOIS) - 3 BOYS …
CLASSIC FRENCH GRATIN DAUPHINOIS RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
FRENCH POTATO GRATIN DAUPHINOISE RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
GRATIN DAUPHINOIS (SCALLOPED POTATOES) - SOFABFOOD
GRATIN DAUPHINOIS (SCALLOPED POTATOES WITH CHEESE) RECIPE
4.5/5 (13)Calories 228 per servingServings 7
- Rub an 11 x 7-inch baking dish with cut sides of garlic halves; discard garlic. Coat dish with cooking spray.
- Arrange half of potatoes in dish, and drizzle with half of the butter. Sprinkle with half of salt and half of pepper, and top with half of cheese. Repeat the layers.
- Bring milk to a boil over low heat in a small saucepan; pour over potato mixture. Bake for 40 minutes or until tender.
SCALLOPED POTATOES (GRATIN DAUPHINOIS) | RICARDO
4/5 (29)Category AppetizersServings 6Total Time 1 hr 35 mins
SIMPLE RECIPES GRATIN DAUPHINOISE (SCALLOPED POTATOES) RECIPE
EASY POTATOES AU GRATIN (DAUPHINOISE) - COUNTRYSIDE CRAVINGS
GRATIN DAUPHINOISE SCALLOPED POTATOES - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT …
ROASTED GARLIC & CARAMELIZED ONION POTATOES GRATIN DAUPHINOISE
BEST #1 DAUPHINOISE POTATOES GRATIN | SIMPLE. TASTY. GOOD.
GRATIN DAUPHINOIS (POTATOES AU GRATIN) - ENTERTAINING WITH BETH
THE BEST VEGAN SCALLOPED POTATOES (PLANT-BASED POTATO GRATIN …
TRADITIONAL FRENCH GRATIN DAUPHINOIS (FRENCH SCALLOPED POTATOES)
HOMEMADE AU GRATIN POTATOES RECIPE (DAUPHINOISE)
SCALLOPED POTATO GRATIN RECIPE - SKINNYTASTE
POTATO GRATIN DAUPHINOIS (POTATOES DAUPHINOISE) - OLIVIA'S CUISINE
GRATIN DAUPHINOIS - FRENCH SCALLOPED POTATOES - RECIPE HEIR
GRATIN DAUPHINOISE (SCALLOPED POTATOES) - GLUTEN FREE RECIPES
DAUPHINOISE POTATOES VS SCALLOPED POTATOES - THERESCIPES.INFO
GORDON RAMSAY’S GRATIN DAUPHINOISE | COLLIN D - COPY ME …
CLASSIC RICH AND SILKY POTATO GRATIN (SCALLOPED POTATOES) RECIPE
SCALLOPED POTATOES (GRATIN DAUPHINOIS) - HOME COOKING MEMORIES
JULIA CHILD'S POTATOES AU "GRATIN DAUPHINOIS" - JAI LA VIE
POTATOES DAUPHINOISE (WITH VIDEO) - HOW TO FEED A LOON
CHEF JOHN RECREATES HIS FAVORITE SCALLOPED POTATO GRATIN GROWING …
SCALLOPED POTATOES - SIDE DISHES - MANY SIMPLE RECIPES
FRENCH POTATOES GRATIN DAUPHINOISE - CHEZ LE RêVE FRANçAIS
POTATO GRATIN | SAVEUR
GRATIN DAUPHINOISE | ESSENTIAL PEPIN : ESSENTIAL PEPIN
Are you curently on diet or you just want to control your food's nutritions, ingredients? We will help you find recipes by cooking method, nutrition, ingredients...Check it out »
You'll also love