GRILLED SQUID WITH LEMON, GARLIC AND CUMIN
Squid is a great sustainable fish that is easy to cook in seconds. Get your griddle as hot as possible to get those char marks without overcooking the squid.
Provided by Mitch Tonks
Categories Main course
Yield Serves 4
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Take the prepared squid, make a cut down one side of the body tube and open it. If you have had to use chunks of a large squid, then just lightly score the inside of the flesh, which will help tenderise it.
- Mix the lemon zest, cumin, sea salt, garlic and olive oil and rub into the squid and leave to marinate for a minimum of two hours in the fridge.
- Heat your grill plate until white patches start to appear.
- Remove the squid from the marinade and grill either side for no more than two minutes to ensure that you get those lovely black grill lines across the flesh.
- Push the squid down with the back of a fish slice and do the same with the tentacles.
- Take the squid off the hot grill and serve on a plate with a sprinkling of sea salt, juice of the lemon and sprinkling of fresh chopped coriander. Serve with a mixed green salad.
GRILLED SQUID WITH OLIVE OIL AND LEMON RECIPE
Grilled squid is an incredibly simple dish that captures all the best of coastal Mediterranean cooking-it's economical, uncomplicated, and pristine.
Provided by Daniel Gritzer
Number Of Ingredients 5
- Light one chimney full of charcoal. When all the charcoal is lit and covered with gray ash, pour out and spread the coals evenly over half of coal grate. Alternatively, set all the burners of a gas grill to high heat. Set cooking grate in place, cover grill and allow to preheat for 5 minutes. Clean and oil the grilling grate.
- Meanwhile, thoroughly pat squid dry with paper towels. In a medium bowl, toss squid with a drizzle of olive oil until lightly coated.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 169 kcal, Carbohydrate 5 g, Cholesterol 264 mg, Fiber 0 g, Protein 18 g, SaturatedFat 1 g, Sodium 129 mg, Sugar 0 g, Fat 8 g, ServingSize Serves 4 as an appetizer, UnsaturatedFat 0 g
GRILLED SQUID (CALAMARI)
- Gather the ingredients. Put the skewers in a container, cover with water, and soak for at least 30 minutes while you prepare the squid.
- Prepare a high (500 F to 600 F) gas or charcoal grill fire. Rinse the squid under cold running water and pat dry with paper towels.
- Cut the squid bodies lengthwise down one side and open flat.
- Cut the tentacles in half if too large.
- In a bowl, combine the olive oil, lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Add the squid bodies and tentacles to the bowl, tossing to evenly coat.
- Thread the squid bodies lengthwise onto skewers so they lie flat.
- Thread the tentacles onto separate skewers.
- Grill, turning once, just until opaque, about 2 minutes.
- Remove the squid from skewers and pile them on a platter.
- Sprinkle with parsley and serve with lemon wedges.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 184 kcal, Carbohydrate 20 g, Cholesterol 264 mg, Fiber 5 g, Protein 20 g, SaturatedFat 1 g, Sodium 186 mg, Sugar 4 g, Fat 5 g, ServingSize 1 pound (4 servings), UnsaturatedFat 0 g
Grilled meats and seafood are very popular in Vietnam and many recipes, like this one, rely upon the specific flavors imparted from the open wood burning grill.
Provided by cba533
Yield 2 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Rub the squid with salt and rinse.
- Slit and flatten the squid sac and make diagonal cuts on the inside surface.
- Cut into bite-sized pieces.
- Set aside in a bowl.
- In another bowl, mix all the ingreduents, EXCEPT THE FIRST FOUR INGREDIENTS, making the marinade. Mix for thirty seconds.
- Put the squid inside the bowl with the marinade and leave for 1 hour.
- When one hour is finished, grill the squid over a charcoal grill until just tender (about three minutes each side).
- Arrange on a serving platter and garnish with half-a-cup of coriander leaves.
- Serve with fish sauce dip.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 417.9, Fat 19.4, SaturatedFat 3.5, Cholesterol 582.5, Sodium 8967.8, Carbohydrate 15.6, Fiber 0.6, Sugar 4.8, Protein 43.6
GARLICKY GRILLED SQUID WITH MARINATED PEPPERS
As if grilled squid that's tender in the middle and charred on the exterior weren't good enough, we're pairing it with smoky bell peppers and a lemony herb salad.
Provided by Andy Baraghani
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Toast hazelnuts on a rimmed baking sheet, tossing once, until golden brown, 7-10 minutes. Let cool, then crush nuts using the side of a chef's knife or coarsely chop. Transfer to a small bowl. Mix in 2 Tbsp. oil and season with salt. Set aside.
- Prepare a grill for high heat and place a wire rack on one side, orienting it perpendicular to grill grate. Place bell peppers directly on grate (not on wire rack) and grill, turning occasionally, until charred all over and flesh is very soft, 8-10 minutes.
- Transfer bell peppers to a medium bowl and cover tightly with plastic wrap. Let sit 10-20 minutes (doing this extends the cooking and softens the skins). Remove skins from peppers and scoop out seeds; discard. Tear or slice peppers into large pieces and place in a clean medium bowl. Add vinegar, paprika, and 1/4 cup oil and finely grate 1 garlic clove into bowl. Season with salt and toss well to coat peppers.
- Return grill to high heat. Finely grate remaining 2 garlic cloves into a large bowl; stir in remaining 1/4 cup oil. Pat squid dry, then add to oil mixture; toss well to coat. Working in batches, grill squid on wire rack on grill until marks appear on bodies and tentacles begin to crisp around the edges, 45-60 seconds per side. Transfer to a clean large bowl and season with salt.
- Place onion and mint in a small bowl. Finely grate zest from lemon half over, then squeeze in juice. Season with salt and toss to combine.
- Divide marinated peppers and squid among plates. Spoon hazelnuts over and top with mint salad.
The key to preparing calamari is to either cook it really fast or really slow; anything in between will leave you with a chewy texture. Serve this in a big bowl as part of an antipasti spread or as individual servings.From the book "Lucinda's Rustic Italian Kitchen," by Lucinda Scala Quinn (Wiley).
Provided by Martha Stewart
Yield Makes 4 appetizer servings
Number Of Ingredients 7
- In a serving bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, and salt. Stir in the garlic and whole oregano sprigs.
- Heat a grill pan over the high heat. (Alternatively, you can cook the squid on the grill.) When very hot, add the squid and char each side for 1 minute. Remove from the pan and slice crosswise into 1/4-inch rings, including the tendrils. Add the squid to the lemon sauce. Crack freshly ground pepper over and serve immediately.
GRILLED SQUID WITH CHAMOMAYO
- Preheat the grill to high heat.
- For the chamomayo: Heat the oil and chamomile flowers over low heat until the chamomile aromatizes and turns golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Strain the oil, discarding the chamomile flowers, and let cool.
- Combine the vinegar, mustard, salt, sugar and egg yolk in the bowl of a food processor and blend for about 30 seconds. Add the thoroughly cooled oil through the emulsion tube. Voila. Chamomayo. Imagine the possibilities! Darjeeling Mayo! Matcha mayo! Earl Grayo!
- Now for the squids. Slice the squid bodies open lengthwise, and lay flat on a cutting board with the outsides facing up. Gently score the squid with the tip of your knife in a crosshatch pattern, then sprinkle each side with salt and pepper... say one sprinkled pinch per. Don't be shy.
- Toss the squid in a large bowl with the olive oil, then grill these guys for 2 to 4 minutes per side. I like mine a little under-done, but I'm a weirdo like that.
- Transfer all the squids to a cutting board. Cut them into 1/2-inch rings. You can serve them in a pile and with the mayo on the side. If you want to get fancy and plate these up, slide a chopstick or iced-tea spoon up the middle of the rings to plate them in a neater fashion. Serve with lemon wedges, if desired.
GRILLED SQUID SALAD
- Start a charcoal or gas grill; fire should be quite hot, with rack no more than 4 inches from heat source. If using wood skewers, soak them thoroughly in water.
- Toss squid with 2 tablespoons oil, juice of 1 lemon, garlic, salt and pepper. Let sit while grill heats, tossing occasionally. Skewer squid on parallel skewers to facilitate turning. When fire is hot, grill squid until nicely browned, turning once. Total cooking time will be about 5 minutes.
- Toss greens with remaining olive oil, juice of 1 or 2 lemons (to taste), salt, pepper and shallots. Top with squid, drizzle all with a little more lemon juice and serve.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 389, UnsaturatedFat 17 grams, Carbohydrate 12 grams, Fat 21 grams, Fiber 2 grams, Protein 37 grams, SaturatedFat 3 grams, Sodium 727 milligrams, Sugar 2 grams
GRILLED BABY SQUID
- Start a charcoal or wood fire or preheat a gas grill; the fire should be quite hot (on a gas grill, as hot as you can get it) and the rack no more than 4 inches from the heat source and preferably less. Or preheat a heavy pan over high heat (and turn on an exhaust fan if you have one) for about 5 minutes.
- If you need to clean the squid, pull off the head and tentacles and separate them by cutting just behind the head; save the tentacles and discard the head. Rinse out the inside of the bodies and dry well.
- Sprinkle the squid with coarse salt and toss them lightly with a tablespoon or two of olive oil. If you are grilling, skewer the squid. Grill or pan-grill the squid quickly, about 1 minute per side; they should brown nicely but remain moist inside.
- Put the squid on a plate. Drizzle with a little more olive oil and sprinkle with lemon juice or vinegar and a bit more salt. Serve immediately.
- Grilled Baby Squid, Japanese Style
- Here the grill is requisite, because the soy sauce coating would burn on a griddle: After cleaning the squid, marinate them briefly in a mixture of 1/4 cup soy sauce and 2 tablespoons mirin (or 1 tablespoon honey mixed with 1 tablespoon white wine). Grill and garnish with toasted sesame seeds (page 596). (Black sesame seeds are more commonly used here, and they look nice against the white squid, so if you can find them, by all means use them. Look in Japanese, Chinese, or Indian stores.)
More about "grilled squid recipes"
GRILLED SQUID WITH GARLIC, CHILI & PARSLEY - IRENA MACRI
4.8/5 (5)Total Time 22 minsCategory MainCalories 366 per serving
- Using a sharp knife, score the tops of the squid tubes in a few places and cut away the tenticle pieces. Using a paper towel, pat dry the squid really well to remove any surface moisture. This will help to cook the squid faster and prevent it from becoming chewy. Set aside and prepare the aromatics.
- Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a large frying pan over high heat. Once really hot (this is important), add the squid and cook for 2 minutes on each side. Remove from the pan and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Add the garlic, chilli and most of the parsley to the pan and sauté in olive oil for a minute until the garlic is golden brown. Add the squid pieces back in and stir through. Cook together for 20-30 more seconds and drizzle with a little lemon juice (about 1/4 of a lemon).
HOW TO COOK THE BEST GRILLED SQUID - EAT LIKE PINOY
Cuisine FilipinoTotal Time 45 minsCategory Main CourseCalories 8 per serving
GRILLED SQUID TUBES RECIPE | EAT SMARTER USA
GARLICKY GRILLED SQUID WITH PEPPERS RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
SQUID RECIPE: 10 DIVERSE DISHES WITH SQUID - FINE DINING …
GRILLED SQUID SKEWERS RECIPE | EAT SMARTER USA
CHARGRILLED WHOLE SQUID | SEAFOOD RECIPES | JAMIE OLIVER …
GRILLED SQUID SALAD | JAMIE OLIVER RECIPES
GRILLED WHOLE SQUID WITH ROASTED RED PEPPER AND GARLIC
GRILLED SQUID STUFFED WITH FETA CHEESE | SO DELICIOUS
SIMPLE GRILLED SQUID – WE ARE NOT FOODIES
GRILLED CALAMARI - LIDIA
RECIPE: GRILLED SQUID - ITEM - WORLD OF WARCRAFT - WOWHEAD
10 BEST GRILLED SQUID SAUCE RECIPES | YUMMLY
10 BEST GRILLED CALAMARI RECIPES | YUMMLY
HOW TO GRILL SQUID FILIPINO STYLE - RESTAURANT STELLA
KOREAN GRILLED SQUID RECIPE (OJINGUH GUI) RECIPE
INIHAW NA PUSIT (GRILLED JUMBO SQUID) - KAWALING PINOY
CHARGRILLED SQUID WITH SMOKED PAPRIKA - THE FOOD BEAVER
GRILLED SQUID RECIPE: A DELIGHTFUL SEAFOOD DISH WITH A UNIQUE FLAVOR
RECIPE: GRILLED SQUID TENTACLES STEP BY STEP WITH PICTURES
GRILLED SQUID RECIPE - SIMPLE CHINESE FOOD
GRILLED SQUID SALAD RECIPE - QUICK FROM SCRATCH ITALIAN | FOOD
RECIPE: GRILLED SQUID - ITEM - TBC CLASSIC
GRILLED STUFFED SQUID – DIANE'S FOOD BLOG
GREEK GRILLED SQUID | CANADIAN LIVING
GRILLED SQUID, THE INFALLIBLE RECIPE - FOOD WITH KID APPEAL
BEST GRILLED SQUID SKEWERS RECIPES | FOOD NETWORK CANADA
GRILLED CALAMARI - LEARN HOW TO PREPARE FRESHLY GRILLED CALAMARI …
SPICY GRILLED SQUID - DELIGHTFUL PLATE
GRILLED STUFFED SQUID RECIPE | PANLASANG PINOY MEATY RECIPES
RECIPE: GRILLED SQUID - ITEM - CLASSIC WORLD OF WARCRAFT
GRILLED SQUID SALAD RECIPE - ALTON BROWN
14 BEST SQUID RECIPES -TOP RECIPES
GRILLED SQUID SALAD RECIPE | EATINGWELL
INIHAW NA PUSIT (GRILLED STUFFED SQUID) RECIPE - YOUTUBE
HEALTHY RECIPE FOR GRILLED SQUID - SPAIN ON A FORK
THAI GRILLED SQUID – LA TOURANGELLE
BEST GRILLED CALAMARI RECIPES | QUICK AND EASY | FOOD NETWORK …
#60-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #for-1-or-2 #main-dish #seafood #asian #vietnamese #no-shell-fish #squid #number-of-servings
You'll also love