- Rinse the stomach thoroughly and soak overnight in cold salted water.
- Rinse the liver, heart, and tongue. In a large pot of boiling, salted water, cook these parts over medium heat for 2 hours. Remove and mince. Remove any gristle or skin and discard.
- In a large bowl, combine the minced liver, heart, tongue, suet, onions, and toasted oats. Season with salt, pepper, and dried herbs. Moisten with some of the cooking water so the mixture binds. Remove the stomach from the cold salted water and fill 2/3 with the mixture. Sew or tie the stomach closed. Use a turning fork to pierce the stomach several times. This will prevent the haggis from bursting.
- In a large pot of boiling water, gently place the filled stomach, being careful not to splash. Cook over high heat for 3 hours.
- Serve with mashed potatoes, if you serve it at all.
A distant cousin of the Great Chieftain o' the Scottish Puddin' Race. The lamb, liver and oats are a 21st century substitute for the now extinct feathered haggis once ferociously hunted by Geronimo MacDonald and his clan in the Adirondack Mountains. Recent research by a team of Poughkeepsie scientists suggests that they may be able, at some future date, be able to clone the feathered haggis from DNA found in fossils of the animal. Until then, you'll have to live with this recipe.
Provided by Millereg
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- Grease an 8½ by 4½ inch loaf pan.
- In a food processor fitted with the chopping blade, process together half of the lamb, the liver, water, onion, egg, salt, pepper, sugar, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg until well combined.
- Add the remaining half of the lamb and the oats, and process again until well combined.
- Spoon the lamb mixture into the greased pan and pat the surface to level it.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until center feels firm when gently pressed.
- Cool for 5 minutes in the pan, and then turn out onto a hot serving platter; slice and serve with bashed neeps and tatties.
- ***Just like its distant American cousin, the meatloaf, haggis loaf freezes very well after it's cooked- I recommend freezing it in individual serving-size slices.
NORTH AMERICAN HAGGIS
I have not tried this Haggis recipe, but could not resist posting it. Apparently it is difficult to get proper ingredients in North America for the real Haggis, this is supposed to be a 2nd best.
Provided by Derf2440
Categories Beef Organ Meats
Yield 1 haggis in a pan
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease an 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch loaf pan.
- In food processor with chopping blade, process together half of the lamb, the liver, water, onion, egg, salt, pepper, sugar, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg until well combined.
- Add the remaining half of the lamb and the oats, process until well combined.
- Spoon lamb mixture into greased pan, pat surface to level.
- Bake 45 to55 minutes or until centre feels firm when gently pressed.
- Cool 5 minutes in pan, unmold onto platter, slice and serve.
'Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face, Great chieftain o' the puddin-race!' Here's a tasty vegetarian version of The Robbie Burns Night sausage, passed on to me by some friends from Cape Breton.
Provided by NORTHERNLIGHT1
Number Of Ingredients 17
- Heat the vegetable oil in a saucepan over medium heat, and saute the onion 5 minutes, until tender. Mix in carrot and mushrooms, and continue cooking 5 minutes. Stir in broth, lentils, kidney beans, peanuts, hazelnuts, soy sauce, and lemon juice. Season with thyme, rosemary, cayenne pepper, and mixed spice. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in oats, cover, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease a 5x9 inch baking pan.
- Stir the egg into the saucepan. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking pan. Bake 30 minutes, until firm.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 162.7 calories, Carbohydrate 22.5 g, Cholesterol 18.6 mg, Fat 5.6 g, Fiber 5.4 g, Protein 6.6 g, SaturatedFat 0.9 g, Sodium 175.6 mg, Sugar 2.1 g
More about "haggis loaf recipes"
RECIPES FOR HAGGIS: 32 IDEAS FOR USING HAGGIS - SCOTTISH …
- Haggis, Neeps & Tatties Stack. We’ll start with the traditional and most common, haggis, neeps and tatties – haggis in its most purist form. The neeps (swede) and tatties (potato, in this case mashed) are perfect accompaniments to the star of the show.
- Haggis Shepherds Pie. Like many of the recipes that see haggis fit in perfectly a haggis shepherds pie simply replaces mince with either just haggis or a mix of Scotch lamb mince and haggis.
- Haggis, Neeps, & Tatties Pie. Continuing the neeps and tatties theme, If you want to take your shepherds pie a step further then add some neeps to your mashed tatties for a haggis neeps and tatties pie.
- Haggis Parcels. These tasty parcels make a great starter or party food if you make mini ones. Cut filo pastry into squares. Lay down one square and brush with melted butter.
- Balmoral Chicken. Chicken Balmoral is simple a chicken breast sliced down one side, almost the whole way through but not quite, stuff it full of haggis and then wrap it in bacon.
- Haggis & Cheese Toastie. This one is self explanatory but dear lord it is sooooo good! Sonja first had this from a sandwich shop near Greyfriars Kirkyard in Edinburgh, and has been recreating it ever since.
- Haggis Baked Potato with Whisky Sauce. This doesn’t sound like it should work but on a hungover journey through the highlands Sonja discovered this in a small pub and it did wonders, although it’s great any other time too of course!
- Haggis Bolognese. For a delicious peppery bolognese sauce, use a mixture of haggis and scotch beef in your favourite bolognese recipe. We love the combination of the peppery haggis with the tomato sauce!
- Haggis Meatballs (with Two Sauce Options) Just like we made bolognese with haggis, we’ve also taken the classic meatballs and spaghetti dish and switched out some of the meat for haggis!
- Haggis Bon Bons. These may well be the perfect Scottish Canapé! Break your haggis up then roll it into balls and put it to one side. Get three bowls, one of flour one of beaten eggs and one of breadcrumbs – we like to add smokey paprika and parmesan to this.
HAGGIS MEATLOAF | LUCY WAVERMAN'S KITCHEN
Estimated Reading Time 1 min
EASIEST WAY TO MAKE FAVORITE ROBIN'S HAGGIS STUFFED MEATLOAF
RECIPE: HAGGIS MEATLOAF
HAGGIS MEATLOAF RECIPE
RECIPE: HAGGIS ANYONE?
HAGGIS WITH NEEPS AND TATTIES - MEAT FREE MONDAY
VEGAN HAGGIS RECIPE - THE SCOTS MAGAZINE
A DOZEN OF MY HAGGIS RECIPES FOR BURNS NIGHT
TRADITIONAL HAGGIS RECIPE - GREAT BRITISH CHEFS
HAGGIS MEATLOAF - THE GLOBE AND MAIL
ROMANIAN LAMB HAGGIS (DROB DE MIEL) RECIPE - CHEF'S PENCIL
HAGGIS, TATTIES, AND NEEPS RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
HAGGIS MEATLOAF - ZERO WASTE WARRIOR
VEGAN HAGGIS RECIPE
SIMPLIFIED HAGGIS - CAROLINE'S COOKING
ULTIMATE VEGAN HAGGIS (SCOTTISH RECIPE) - THE PESKY VEGAN
TASTY VEGETARIAN HAGGIS RECIPE - SCOTTISH SCRAN
HOW TO MAKE SCOTCH WHISKY-GLAZED HAGGIS MEATLOAF WITH BIG …
HOW TO COOK HAGGIS - SCOTTISH GOURMET USA
HOW TO MAKE HAGGIS FROM SCRATCH - GREAT BRITISH CHEFS
WHAT'S SO 'OFFAL' ABOUT HAGGIS AND WHY'S IT BANNED IN THE U.S.?
CLASSIC HAGGIS AUTHENTIC RECIPE | TASTEATLAS
ROBIN'S HAGGIS STUFFED MEATLOAF - PLAIN.RECIPES
HAGGIS LOAF - CHAMPSDIET.COM
HAGGIS - WIKIPEDIA
HAGGIS MEATLOAF - COMPLETERECIPES.COM
HAGGIS LOAF RECIPE - WEBETUTORIAL
HAGGIS MEATLOAF | RECIPE | RECIPES, MEATLOAF, FOOD
HAGGIS MEATLOAF - BIGOVEN.COM
A HAGGIS-FLAVOURED ROBBIE BURNS DINNER WITHOUT THE OFFAL
HAGGIS AUTHENTIC RECIPE | TASTEATLAS
HAGGIS RECIPE FROM SCRATCH @ NOT QUITE NIGELLA - FOOD NEWS
VEGAN HAGGIS & RED LENTIL NUT LOAF - TINNED TOMATOES
WHISKY SAUCE FOR HAGGIS MEATLOAF - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY ...
ASTRAY RECIPES: HAGGIS MEATLOAF
VEGAN HAGGIS WITH EASY INGREDIENTS - MY VEGAN MINIMALIST
ROLLED HAGGIS STUFFED LAMB MEATLOAF RECIPE
HOW TO COOK HAGGIS AND SOME RECIPES TO TRY - DELISHABLY
#weeknight #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #occasion #breakfast #lunch #main-dish #eggs-dairy #lamb-sheep #vegetables #oven #easy #european #dinner-party #heirloom-historical #holiday-event #scottish #grains #eggs #freezer #dietary #gifts #spicy #comfort-food #oamc-freezer-make-ahead #inexpensive #meat #pasta-rice-and-grains #taste-mood #equipment #number-of-servings #4-hours-or-less
You'll also love