I got this from the About.com web site. Their Source: Home Sausage Making by Charles G. Reavis (Storey Books) Reprinted with permission. Haven't made it yet, but I now know how to create a lower-sodium hot dog than those you purchase at the store. Will post an update after I try them; however, I'm currently looking for an easier way to handle the casings stuff. Wish me luck!! I really don't know how long this will take to make, so I posted a guestimate.
Provided by Wineaux
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Prepare the casings (see instructions below). In a blender or food processor, make a puree of the onion, garlic, coriander, marjoram, mace, mustard seed, and paprika.
- Add the pepper, egg white, sugar, salt, and milk and mix thoroughly.
- Grind the pork, beef, and fat cubes through the fine blade separately. Mix together and grind again. Mix the seasonings into the meat mixture with your hands. This tends to be a sticky procedure, so wet your hands with cold water first.
- Chill the mixture for half an hour then put the mixture thorough the fine blade of the grinder once more. Stuff the casings and twist them off into six-inch links. Parboil the links (without separating them) in gently simmering water for 20 minutes. Place the franks in a bowl of ice water and chill thoroughly. Remove, pat dry, and refrigerate. Because they are precooked, they can be refrigerated for up to a week or they can be frozen.
- Preparing the Casing.
- Snip off about four feet of casing. (Better too much than too little because any extra can be repacked in salt and used later.) Rinse the casing under cool running water to remove any salt clinging to it. Place it in a bowl of cool water and let it soak for about half an hour. While you're waiting for the casing to soak, you can begin preparing the meat as detailed above.
- After soaking, rinse the casing under cool running water. Slip one end of the casing over the faucet nozzle. Hold the casing firmly on the nozzle, and then turn on the cold water, gently at first, and then more forcefully. This procedure will flush out any salt in the casing and pinpoint any breaks. Should you find a break, simply snip out a small section of the casing.
- Place the casing in a bowl of water and add a splash of white vinegar. A tablespoon of vinegar per cup of water is sufficient. The vinegar softens the casing a bit more and makes it more transparent, which in turn makes your sausage more pleasing to the eye. Leave the casing in the water/vinegar solution until you are ready to use it. Rinse it well and drain before stuffing.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 381.6, Fat 27.3, SaturatedFat 12.5, Cholesterol 100.2, Sodium 477.3, Carbohydrate 3, Fiber 0.4, Sugar 1.4, Protein 29.2
Another recipe out of, "The Sausage Making Cookbook". This is a good way to impress your friends. Have a cook out,using your homemade hot dogs.
Provided by L. Duch
Yield 24 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Combine all ingredients, mix well and stuff into sheep casings (pork casings will work too, but will end up a little fatter frank).
- Smoke for 2-3 hours at 115 deg or until a rich orange color is reached (you can freeze them at this point, until you want to boil them).
- Then cook in water heated to 160-170 until franks float.
- Cooking time depends on thickness of the hot dog.
- You can simply just grill them as well.
- Again, the yield depends on how long and thick your links are.
FRANKFURTERS IN HOMEMADE ROLLS
Cheap, easy to make hot dog-style snack that everyone loves!
Provided by olcia_rom
Yield Makes Rolls
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Mix flour, yeast, salt, sugar together, add water and olive oil and knead until forms a smooth ball.
- Roll out the pastry on floured surface, to a thickness of about 0.5cm, cut with knife into 10 rectangulars of the same length as your frankfurters. Using your fingers, swaddle franfurters in the pieces of dough, making sure all the edges stick together.
- Place all of them on the baking tray, lined with baking paper. Leave for about 30mins until they double their size.
- Bake in the oven for about 20-25mins in 200C.
- Serve hot with ketchup.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Melt butter in a skillet over medium heat. Saute onions in butter until tender. Stir in the baked beans and sliced frankfurters. Season with brown sugar, mustard and celery salt. Transfer to a 2 quart casserole dish.
- Bake for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 355.6 calories, Carbohydrate 25.5 g, Cholesterol 42.6 mg, Fat 23 g, Fiber 3.2 g, Protein 12.7 g, SaturatedFat 8.6 g, Sodium 1350.1 mg, Sugar 14.5 g
- 1. Cut a gash in the side of each frankfurter. Spread prepared mustard inside; add a strip of cheese and push the frankfurter back in shape. Wrap a strip of bacon around it. Fasten with a toothpick. Grill until cheese melts and bacon is crisp.
- 2. Cut gashes in the frankfurters and spread the inside with garlic butter to which you have added chopped chives and parsley. Wrap with bacon strips and grill.
- 3. Mash blue cheese with a little grated onion and blend in chopped chives and parsley. Gash the frankfurters and stuff them with this mixture. Wrap with bacon strips and grill.
- 4. Cut frankfurters in 1-inch pieces. Alternate these on skewers with tiny whole tomatoes and strips of green pepper. Grill. Serve with a good hot Mexican chili.
CREAMY PASTA WITH FRANKFURTERS
Very rich full of fat - but delicious - only have as a rare treat!!!
Provided by tippytoes87
Yield Serves 2
Number Of Ingredients 0
- Heat a pot of water on a medium to high heat - Once at the simmer add the salt and oil - bring to the boil and add the pasta - Stir frequently to prevent sticking
- While the pasta cooks prepare your ingredients for the sauce - everything goes in pretty quick so pre prepared is best.
- Heat the oil in a non stick pan over a medium heat.
- Add the Garlic and Onion and cook for 1 minute
- Add the Frankfurter and Chirizo and fry until the Chirizo starts to release an orange coloured oil
- Add the chilli, basil (if using) and the black pepper. Add half the cream and half the parmesan - reduce to thicken
- Once it has thickened repeat with the remaining cream and cheese and reduce again
- Drain the pasta once cooked and add the sauce mixture - stir until all the pasta is coated and serve with a pinch of pepper and parmesan over the top
More about "homemade frankfurters recipes"
HOMEMADE FRANKFURTER / VIENNA SAUSAGES – A DELICIOUS …
- Cut your meat and back fat into strips. The size varies depending on how big your meat grinder is. The bigger the grinder, the bigger your pieces of meat can be.
- Put the meat in the freezer for 1-2 hours. This will help later on with the grinding process and the temperature.
- Now it's time to grind the meat. Grind the meat through the finest perforated disc (2mm). Let the meat through the meat grinder twice.The next steps will be easier this way.
A RECIPE TO MAKE HOMEMADE HOT DOGS - THE SPRUCE EATS
3.6/5 (270)Total Time 1 hr 35 minsCategory Entree, Dinner, LunchCalories 255 per serving
FRANKFURTER - MEATS AND SAUSAGES
EASY FRANKFURTERS RECIPE
BEEF FRANKFURTERS RECIPE | DEPORECIPE.CO
FRANKFURTER RECIPE HOMEMADE BEST RECIPES
HOMEMADE FRANKFURTER - RECIPES | COOKS.COM
FRANKFURTERS RECIPES | RECIPELAND
FILLED FRANKFURTERS RECIPES
HOMEMADE FRANKFURTERS ON BAKESPACE.COM
HOMEMADE FRANKFURTERS RECIPE - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
HOMEMADE FRANKFURTER RECIPE RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
10 BEST FRANKFURTERS IN FRANKFURT RECIPES | YUMMLY
RECIPE: HOMEMADE FRANKFURTERS (HOT DOGS) - RECIPELINK.COM
HOMEMADE HOT DOGS FRANKFURTERS - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING …
RYAN FARR'S NEW YORK-STYLE HOT DOGS RECIPE - SERIOUS EATS
FRANKFURTER RECIPES | RECIPELAND
SMOKED OLD FASHIONED FRANKFURTERS SAUSAGES RECIPE
RECIPE USING FRANKFURTER SAUSAGES BEST RECIPES
HOMEMADE FRANKFURTERS RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
FRANKFURTERS IN PUFF PASTRY - HAPPY FOODS TUBE
FRANKFURTER RECIPES - BBC FOOD
FRANKFURTERS WITH CONDIMENTS RECIPE | MYRECIPES
1,072 EASY AND TASTY FRANKFURTER RECIPES BY HOME COOKS
10 BEST FRANKFURTER SAUSAGE RECIPES | YUMMLY
A STEP-BY-STEP GUIDE TO HOMEMADE HOT DOGS - FOOD REPUBLIC
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE HOT DOGS - RECIPE - MEATGISTICS
HOMEMADE FRANKFURTER RECIPES RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
21 BEST HOT DOG RECIPES - AKPALKITCHEN.COM
1,466 EASY AND TASTY FRANKFURTER RECIPES BY HOME COOKS - COOKPAD
FRANKFURTERS RECIPE | DEPORECIPE.CO
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE HOT DOGS WITH RYAN FARR OF 4505 MEATS
HOMEMADE FRANKFURTER HOT DOGS RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
HOMEMADE FRANKFURTER RECIPE - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY …
HOW TO COOK HOT DOGS 4 WAYS - FREEFOODTIPS.COM
You'll also love