INDIAN LENTILS AND RICE
Lentils are the "dahling" of Indian cuisine. Here, they're spiced up with ginger, red pepper, garlic and many other flavor-packed ingredients.
Provided by By Betty Crocker Kitchens
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Spray 3-quart saucepan with cooking spray. Cook onions, gingerroot, red pepper and garlic in saucepan over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender.
- Stir in 5 cups of the broth, the lentils, turmeric and salt. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 25 to 30 minutes, adding remaining broth if needed, until lentils are tender.
- Stir in tomato, coconut and mint. Serve over rice and with yogurt.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 340, Carbohydrate 61 g, Cholesterol 0 mg, Fiber 9 g, Protein 18 g, SaturatedFat 1 1/2 g, ServingSize 1 Serving, Sodium 1380 mg, Sugar 9 g, TransFat 0 g
INDIAN-SPICED RICE WITH LENTILS
- Rinse lentils; drain. Place in small bowl. Rinse rice; drain. Place in another small bowl. Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add cinnamon, cloves, and cumin; sauté about 2 minutes. Add garlic and ginger; sauté about 30 seconds. Add water, salt, sugar, and turmeric; bring to boil. Reduce heat; add lentils and cook 8 minutes. Increase heat to high. Add rice and boil 5 minutes. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until lentils and rice are tender and liquid is absorbed, about 8 minutes longer. Remove from heat; let stand covered 5 minutes. Transfer rice to large bowl. Remove cinnamon stick pieces and cloves. Mix in cilantro and lime juice.
- Basmati rice is available at Indian markets and some supermarkets.
INDIAN SPICED RICE
An Indian meal is not complete without rice to soak up some of the liquids of the other Indian dishes that is piled on and around it.
Provided by Karen From Colorado
Yield 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Cook green onion in butter in a saucepan until tender but not brown.
- Stir in rice, salt garam masala, red pepper and garlic.
- Cook and stir over medium heat for 1 minute.
- Add water.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes; do not lift lid.
- Remove saucepan from heat.
- Let stand covered for 10 minutes.
- To freeze: Place prepared rice in freezer bag. Seal, pushing out as much air as possible, label and freeze.
- To serve: Thaw in fridge. Place in baking dish and add 1 T.water for each cup of rice. Stir and reheat at 300 degrees for 35-40 minutes.
CREAMY INDIAN LENTILS AND RICE
This is a recipe from Cooking Light. It doesn't say what kind of lentils to use, but from the picture, I'd say brown, or puy.
Provided by Ppaperdoll
Categories Brown Rice
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 11
- In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium high heat. Saute onion in oil until golden brown (about 8 minutes).
- Add rice, curry powder, mustard seeds, salt and pepper and saute 1 minute more.
- Add water and lentils and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer 1 hour.
- Remove from heat. Add cilantro (coriander) and sour cream or yogurt. Stir through gently and serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 306.3, Fat 6.5, SaturatedFat 2.1, Cholesterol 7.9, Sodium 406.6, Carbohydrate 50.5, Fiber 12.2, Sugar 3.4, Protein 12.3
SPICED BASMATI RICE WITH LENTILS AND CARAMELIZED ONIONS
- Melt butter in 10-inch-diameter oven-proof nonstick skillet over medium-low heat. Add onions and stir 1 minute. Cover and cook until onions are tender, stirring occasionally, about 15 minutes. Uncover and sauté until onions are deep golden, about 5 minutes longer. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Remove from heat. Spread onions in even layer in same skillet; set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook lentils in pot of boiling water until almost tender but still firm to bite, about 20 minutes. Drain.
- Combine 2 1/2 cups water, cardamom, allspice, bay leaf and salt in heavy medium saucepan; bring to boil. Add rice and lentils; bring to boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer until rice is tender and water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Discard cardamom, allspice and bay leaf.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Spoon rice mixture atop onions in skillet, pressing with back of spoon to compact rice; smooth top. (Can be made 2 hours ahead. Cool. Cover and let stand at room temperature.)
- Cover skillet tightly with double layer of foil. Bake rice mixture until heated through, about 35 minutes. Remove foil; let stand 5 minutes. Place plate over skillet; invert skillet, releasing rice and onions onto plate and scraping any onions remaining in skillet onto rice. Spoon rice and onions onto plates and serve.
More about "indian spiced rice with lentils recipes"
INDIAN SPICED RICE & LENTIL SALAD - HOST THE TOAST
Reviews 5Estimated Reading Time 3 minsServings 6Total Time 1 hr
- In a large, heavy saucepan over medium heat, toast the almonds. Once they begin to brown and become fragrant, remove them from the pan and set aside.
- Add in the oil and saute the onion, garlic, ginger, and jalapeno until fragrant, about 1 minute. Mix in the garam masala and cumin and cook for 30 seconds. Pour in the water and stir in the salt and sugar. Bring the mixture to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simmer and add in the lentils. Cook the lentils for 5 minutes. Add in the rice and raisins and return to a boil. Boil, uncovered for 5 minutes. Reduce to a simmer and cover. Cook until the water is absorbed, about 8 minutes. Remove the rice from the heat and let it sit, covered, for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the tomato, cucumber, and reserved toasted almonds. Mix in the mint leaves and cilantro, reserving some to top.
INDIAN SPICED LENTILS WITH RICE - THE SCRAMBLE
Servings 8Total Time 1 hr 10 mins
INDIAN-SPICED RICE WITH LENTILS | IN THE KITCHEN WITH KATH
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
RICE AND LENTILS WITH INDIAN SPICES | THE PICKY EATER
SPICY LENTIL RICE | INDIAN | VEGETARIAN | RECIPE
SOUTH INDIAN RICE WITH LENTILS | HEALTHFUL PURSUIT
SPICY RED LENTILS AND RICE RECIPE - DELISH KNOWLEDGE
INDIAN-SPICED RICE WITH LENTILS RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
3.8/5 (9)Servings 6
KHICHDI (INDIAN SPICED LENTILS AND RICE) RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
KHICHDI (INDIAN SPICED LENTILS AND RICE) RECIPE - THE TELEGRAPH
LENTIL RICE | LENTIL RICE RECIPE | LENTILS AND RICE - INDIAN SPICE TIN
CURRIED RICE LENTILS RECIPE INDIAN RECIPES - FOOD NEWS
SLOW COOKER INDIAN-SPICED LENTILS - HOST THE TOAST
SPICED INDIAN LENTILS (DAL RECIPE) - IN 20 MINUTES - COOKED BY JULIE
FORBIDDEN RICE AND INDIAN SPICED LENTILS - COASTAL COOKING
MADRAS INSPIRED SPANISH RICE RECIPE WITH LENTILS - MAHATMA® RICE
TOP 43 INDIAN STYLE LENTILS RECIPE RECIPES
INDIAN SPICED RICE - INDIAN RECIPES
INDIAN RICE AND LENTILS WITH RAITA RECIPE - CHARMAINE SOLOMON
INDIAN SPINACH & LENTIL DAL WITH CUMIN-SPICED RICE – GABFOODS
SPICED LENTILS AND RICE - THE WASHINGTON POST
INDIAN-SPICED RICE WITH LENTILS RECIPE - COOKING INDEX
RECIPE: YUMMY SPICY INDIAN LENTIL CURRY WITH MIDNIGHT RICE
MUJADARA: SWEET SPICED LENTILS AND RICE - WEST OF THE LOOP
INDIAN SPICED RICE WITH LENTILS RECIPE - COOKEATSHARE
INDIAN SPICED LENTILS : TOP PICKED FROM OUR EXPERTS
MUJADDARA - SPICED LENTILS AND RICE RECIPE | CHEFDEHOME.COM
KITCHARI (SPICED INDIAN LENTILS AND RICE) - THE SAFFRON STORIES
A DOZEN DELICIOUS LENTIL AND RICE RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
INDIAN SPICED LENTILS
SPICY INDIAN LENTIL WITH SPINACH AND TOMATO | CULINARY BUTTERFLY
INDIAN SPICED LENTIL STEW WITH RICE- A VEGAN RECIPE
LENTIL RICE | LENTIL RICE RECIPE | LENTILS AND RICE - MUMBAI SPICE CLUB
MUJADARA: SWEET SPICED LENTILS & RICE – LENTILS.ORG
SLOW-COOKER INDIAN-SPICED LENTILS - OUR BEST BITES
INDIAN SPICY RICE - SUPPER PLATE-DELICIOUS DINNERS ON A BUDGET!
INDIAN SPICED LENTILS & KALE – FRESHFARM
INDIAN-SPICED LENTILS AND LAMB RECIPE | MYRECIPES
You'll also love