Kombucha is a lightly fizzy, fermented tea drink that's making waves for its probiotic benefits and tart flavor. Making kombucha at home is quite simple: make sweetened tea, add it to a jar with a scoby (symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast) and let it ferment for about a week. The scoby is a pancake-shaped living culture that eats most of the sugar in the tea, turning it into a tangy and delicious fermented beverage.
Provided by Sonja Overhiser
Categories Healthy Vegan Drink Recipes
Number Of Ingredients 5
- Bring water to a boil in a large pot. Once boiling, remove from heat and stir in sugar, then add tea bags.
- Allow the tea to cool to room temperature, 2 to 3 hours. Remove the tea bags, then pour the tea into a 1-gallon glass jar. Gently pour scoby and starter kombucha into the jar.
- Cover the jar with a paper towel or clean tea towel and affix it with a rubber band. Place the jar in a warm (the ideal temperature is 75 degrees F), dark location until it is tangy and fruity, about 8 days. Avoid cool locations, which can lead to mold. Note: During fermenting, the scoby may float on top or sink to the bottom and, after a few days, a new scoby layer will form.
- After 8 days, taste the kombucha for doneness. If it tastes sweeter than you prefer, allow the kombucha to ferment for another day or two. If necessary, continue tasting for up to 14 days until the desired flavor is reached.
- When the kombucha is done, remove the scoby and place it in sealable container with 1 cup of the kombucha to store. (Store it, refrigerated, for up to 2 weeks until you're ready to make the next batch of kombucha. If, over time, the scoby grows several layers thick, remove a layer and discard it, or share it with a friend.)
- Pour the kombucha through a fine-mesh strainer into a pitcher or large measuring cup(s) to filter out any sediment. Using a funnel, pour the kombucha into sealable glass bottles.
- Close the bottles and return them to the warm, dark storage location until carbonated, 1 to 2 weeks.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 67.9 calories, Carbohydrate 17.5 g, Sodium 9.6 mg, Sugar 7 g
Discover how to make kombucha and the 'scoby', or 'symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast' that forms the base of this fermented drink - then try a secondary fermentation with added flavours
Provided by Alice Johnston
Yield Makes 2 litres
Number Of Ingredients 4
- For essential information on brewing safely, our top recipe tips and fun flavours to try, read our guide on how to make kombucha. Pour 1.8 litres boiled water into a saucepan, add the teabags and sugar (depending on how sweet you like it or the bitterness of your tea), stir to dissolve the sugar and leave for 6-10 mins to infuse.
- Remove and discard the teabags without squeezing them. Leave the tea to cool completely before pouring into a large 2.5- to 3-litre glass jar. Add the scoby and its starter liquid, leaving a minimum of 5cm space at the top of the jar.
- Cover the jar with a thin tea towel or muslin cloth so the scoby can 'breathe'. Secure with an elastic band and label the jar with the date and its contents.
- Leave to ferment for one to two weeks at room temperature and away from radiators, the oven or direct sunlight. Do not put the jar in a cupboard, as air circulation is important.
- After the first week, taste the kombucha daily - the longer you leave it, the more acidic the flavour will become. When ready, pour the kombucha into bottles, making sure to reserve the scoby and 100-200ml of starter fluid for the next batch.
- The kombucha is ready to drink immediately, or you can start a 'secondary fermentation' by adding flavours such as fruit, herbs and spices to the drawn-off liquid and leaving it bottled for a few more days before drinking. Will keep in the fridge for up to three months.Lemon & ginger kombucha Add the zest and juice of 1 lemon and 1-2 tsp grated ginger to 750ml kombucha and mix well. Pour into a flip-top bottle and seal. Leave at room temperature for two to four days, tasting daily, until it has reached the desired level of carbonation and flavour. Strain and chill to serve.Berry kombucha Add a handful of chopped strawberries, blueberries or bashed raspberries to 750ml kombucha and mix well. Pour into a flip-top bottle and seal. Leave at room temperature for two to four days, tasting daily, until it has reached the desired level of carbonation and flavour. Strain and chill to serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 33 calories, Carbohydrate 8 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 8 grams sugar, Protein 0.1 grams protein
To make this effervescent fermented tea, you will need a symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast that is known by its acronym, Scoby. Also some already-brewed kombucha that you will most likely receive from the same source as the Scoby - a friend or the Internet. You'll need very clean glass jars in which to brew your sweetened tea and ferment it with your Scoby, and very clean clamp-top bottles into which to funnel it when you're done. You'll need flavoring agents for that second fermentation. Start with apple juice, perhaps, and ginger. With later batches you can try turmeric, pomegranate, cayenne, orange, whatever you like. Welcome to the kombucha lifestyle.
Provided by Sam Sifton
Categories non-alcoholic drinks, project
Yield 1 gallon
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Bring the water to a boil in a pot, then remove from heat, and whisk in the sugar until dissolved.
- Add the tea, and allow it to steep on the countertop until the sweetened tea is almost room temperature, at least an hour. Discard the tea bags.
- Strain the sweetened tea into a very clean 1-gallon glass or ceramic jar (or 2 half-gallon jars), followed by the kombucha (divided equally if using 2 jars).
- Using very, very clean hands, gently place the Scoby into the jar (if you're using half-gallon jars, you can cut your Scoby in two with scissors or a knife that has been thoroughly cleaned and rinsed in hot water). Cover with a clean dish towel, and secure with a rubber band or a length of string.
- Set the jar or jars somewhere dark and cool, and allow to ferment 8 to 14 days, tasting occasionally after 1 week. The longer the tea ferments, the more sugar will be eaten by the Scoby and the less sweet it will be. Aim for a light fermentation and a slightly vinegary taste.
- Using very, very clean hands, transfer the Scoby to a jar, then pour 2 cups of the fermented kombucha on top. (You can save this mixture for the first fermentation process of another batch. You could also peel off the newer second layer from the Scoby, separating the "child" from the mother to double your production of kombucha, give it to a friend or discard it, as you like.) Strain the remaining fermented kombucha through a fine-mesh sieve or cheesecloth into a large bowl for use in the second fermentation.
- Strain kombucha again, and whisk in the juice. Pour it through a funnel into 4 very clean quart-size fermentation bottles with swing-top caps.
- Add 1 piece of peeled ginger to each bottle, and seal tight.
- Let sit somewhere dark and cool for 3 to 7 days, checking after 3 to taste how bubbly the kombucha has become, then place in the refrigerator until ready to drink, to stall fermentation.
More about "kombucha recipes"
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
13 CREATIVE KOMBUCHA RECIPES FOR A FLAVORFUL HEALTH BREW
Estimated Reading Time 6 mins
18 BEST KOMBUCHA RECIPE FLAVORS | CRAFT A BREW BLOG
2020-10-27 Sweet Potato Pie Kombucha Brew kombucha per our instructions. On bottling day, add the following ingredients to each 12-16 oz bottle & top …
Estimated Reading Time 9 mins
Estimated Reading Time 9 mins
BEST KOMBUCHA RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE KOMBUCHA - DELISH
2019-02-13 To make kombucha Bring water to a boil. In a clean, 4-cup wide-mouth glass jar, combine tea and hot water and let steep at least 5 minutes. Strain out tea or remove tea bag, then stir in sugar. Let...
5/5 (3)Total Time 337 hrs 10 mins
5/5 (3)Total Time 337 hrs 10 mins
KOMBUCHA RECIPE FLAVORS – BEST SECOND FERMENTATION
2019-08-15 Kombucha Recipe Flavors. When creating kombucha recipes, we first think of involving something that contains enough sugar to create carbonation. Then, we think about whether there are any herbs or vegetables we would like to add. Finally, we take a look at miscellaneous add-ins. Let’s take a look at some popular examples in each category. Sugar
KOMBUCHA RECIPE - BBC FOOD
Recipe tips Method First wash your jar, jug or bowl and funnel thoroughly in hot soapy water. Rinse well under very hot water and leave to air dry. Put the tea bags and sugar in a very large...
RECIPES AND JOY: HOW TO MAKE KOMBUCHA AT HOME
2022-05-11 Directions. Fill gallon jug with water (to help measure the water you need) and then pour that water into your pot. Bring water to a boil and remove from heat. Add sugar and tea. Stir and allow to steep with the lid off. Cool to room temperature. Once water has cooled transfer back to gallon jar. Stir in the 1/2 cup of kombucha.
SECOND FERMENTION KOMBUCHA: THE COMPLETE GUIDE - GROW YOUR …
2020-01-27 Fruity Second Ferment Recipes Hibiscus kombucha Inspired by The Organic Goatlady, this recipe is great and we would recommend checking them out for more information: The Organic Lady Ingredients 4 tsp. dried hibiscus petals 1 tbsp. freshly squeezed lemon juice 16 oz raw kombucha Instructions Measure out the kombucha into the glass bottle and ...
HOW TO MAKE KOMBUCHA WITH A SCOBY - HOMEMADE KOMBUCHA …
2018-07-19 Add the tea and steep 5 to 10 minutes. Remove tea bags and stir in the sugar until completely dissolved. Transfer tea liquid to your gallon …
LOCAL HOP KOMBUCHA RECIPE | RéVOLUTION FERMENTATION
Let it infuse for 30 minutes, then filter and pour the infusion into the jar. Add the maple syrup and stir until dissolved. Add 2.5 litres of cold water. Add the kombucha scoby and its liquid culture. Cover the opening with the cloth and the rubber band. Let it …
10 BEST KOMBUCHA COCKTAILS - INSANELY GOOD
2021-12-01 10 Best Kombucha Cocktails Ingredients Kombucha Mojito Cocktail Kombucha Cranberry Bourbon Smash Pomegranate Kombucha Mimosa Spiced Apple Kombucha Cocktail Elderberry Kombucha Margaritas Kombucha Dark and Stormy Kombucha Mezcal Cocktail Blackberry Kombucha Gin Fizz Kombucha Sangria Kombucha Moscow Mule Directions …
HOMEMADE KOMBUCHA: THE SIMPLE GUIDE TO KICKASS …
2021-05-07 Strain kombucha and funnel into bottles, leaving about 1 1/2 inches at the top (3.8 cm). Add your chosen sweetener and seal tightly with lid. Let ferment somewhere dark and room temperature for 3 to 10 days. If desired, strain out fruit before serving. Place in fridge to slow the carbonation process. Things to note about the second fermentation:
RISE KOMBUCHA RECIPES - CREATE YOUR NEW FAVOURITE KOMBUCHA!
Sweet Potato Noodle Salad with Coconut Lime Dressing. Paired with Peach and Mango. Crispy Tofu with Mango Salsa & Coconut Rice
51 UNIQUE KOMBUCHA FLAVORS AND RECIPES - GROW YOUR …
2019-11-21 Mixing kombucha with ginger, crushed ice, and vodka gives a perfect afternoon cocktail. The drink relies on the mixture of flavors to tone down the burning taste of vodka and the tartness of kombucha. The resulting brew is gingery and sparkly with a slight hint of mint, which is added to balance the taste.
HOW TO MAKE KOMBUCHA | BBC GOOD FOOD
2019-02-06 Basic kombucha recipe. This ‘batch method’ is an easy way to get started. You make a batch, use it all except for enough liquid to provide for the starter liquid and then make a fresh batch. There is no standard so we have included a broad range for sugar, we tend to go for between 55-80g per litre, so midway is a good place to start. More ...
HOW TO FLAVOR KOMBUCHA (19 BEST KOMBUCHA FLAVORS!)
2019-12-08 Pour kombucha into fermentation bottles, leaving a little space at the top to add your flavors and to allow breathing space. Add flavors, like fruit, sugar, honey, or table sugar. Seal tightly. An airtight seal is important for creating carbonated and fizzy kombucha.
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE KOMBUCHA BY JESSE LANE WELLNESS
2014-09-01 1 SCOBY. 1 cup white sugar. ½ cup kombucha. Instructions. Brew at least 2 liters of tea. It can be black, white or green but it must be unflavored. Dissolve 1 cup of sugar into the tea while it is still hot. Let the tea cool to body temperature or add additional water until the tea has reached body temperature.
HOW TO MAKE KOMBUCHA AT HOME - SIMPLY RECIPES
2022-01-20 Secure the caps and leave the kombucha at room temperature for one to five days to carbonate. Each batch of kombucha will ferment at a slightly different rate based on how much sugar is still in the kombucha, the temperature, and whether you added any flavorings. Check each day by opening up one of the bottles.
CHERRY KOMBUCHA RECIPE - FERMENTAHOLICS
2021-06-25 This cherry kombucha recipe is for one 16 fluid-ounce bottles. For a gallon batch, make seven bottles. To scale this recipe to a gallon batch, multiply the ingredients by seven, saving any excess ingredients for future batches. Before bottling your kombucha, remove the SCOBY pellicle along with 12-16 ounces of kombucha starter tea from your ...
BEST GINGER KOMBUCHA RECIPES - HOW TO MAKE GINGER KOMBUCHA
The Best Ginger Kombucha Recipes. The basic Ginger Kombucha recipe below can be blended with any other flavors that inspire you. We’ve provided our 5 favorite variations. For these recipes we have provided both 16oz bottle (½ liter) and 1 Gallon (4 liter) measurements for each flavoring agent. The amounts of each flavor do not scale exactly ...
18 KOMBUCHA IDEAS | KOMBUCHA, KOMBUCHA TEA, KOMBUCHA RECIPE
See more ideas about kombucha, kombucha tea, kombucha recipe. Mar 28, 2017 - Explore Jessi Wandler's board "kombucha", followed by 127 people on Pinterest. See more ideas about kombucha, kombucha tea, kombucha recipe. Pinterest. Today. Explore. When autocomplete results are available use up and down arrows to review and enter to select. Touch device …
HOMEMADE KOMBUCHA RECIPE | WELLNESS MAMA
2016-08-15 Pour the finished kombucha into the smaller jars until about 1 inch from the top. Make sure to leave about ½ cup brewed kombucha in the jar with the SCOBY. Once the kombucha is poured off, pour the SCOBY and remaining juice into a clean bowl. Repeat the steps above for the first fermentation to start another batch.
REMEDY RECIPES | KOMBUCHA RECIPES | REMEDY DRINKS
2021-04-14 STEP 1. Bring 3.5 litres filtered water to the boil. Add black tea and steep for 3 minutes. Add green tea and steep for a further 3 minutes. “Black tea has a beautiful, rich profile but green tea is full of polyphenols,” says Remedy Founder, Emmet Condon. Strain tea into a 4-litre wide open mouthed jar and add sugar.
KOMBUCHA RECIPE: 1 GALLON "SHORTCUT" METHOD | KOMBUCHA KAMP
The Lucky 13 Step Kombucha Recipe Boil 4 cups (1 liter) of purified water. Add hot water & tea bags to pot or brewing vessel. Steep 7-15 minutes, then remove tea …
TOP 30 KOMBUCHA FLAVORS (+ FOOLPROOF FLAVORING FORMULA) - BREW …
2020-04-01 This Mint Lime Mojito Kombucha recipe is refreshing, zesty, and makes for a fun non-alcoholic cocktail (but of course, you can sneak in some booze too!) Get the Recipe 1.4K shares. 4 thoughts on “Top 30 Kombucha Flavors” Natalie Lorenz-Anderson. June 23, 2020 at 2:56 pm Thanks for all of these. My latest batch had some amazing taste results. One 32 oz …
SIMPLE KOMBUCHA RECIPE: ONE-GALLON - FERMENTERS KITCHEN
How to Make Kombucha: To start the kombucha recipe you will need a starter kombucha, a SCOBY, plain black tea or green tea, sugar, and a pot to boil water in; as well as a one-gallon or larger container to ferment in with a cloth and rubber band to cover it. Begin by brewing a gallon of sweet tea. I use 1 cup of sugar for one gallon (16 cups ...
KOMBUCHA RECIPES: OUR FAVORITE 17 DIY KOMBUCHA FLAVORS
2021-12-26 Using ripe strawberries and leaves of basil, this kombucha recipe is a guaranteed winner if you're looking to brew kombucha with a twist. In a saucepan, simmer your strawberries, basil, and sugar, then allow to cool. Once it's done, add to your homemade kombucha and let it rest for a few days. It's hard, but it's well worth the wait!
RECIPES USING KOMBUCHA - CULTURES FOR HEALTH
Kombucha Recipes Popular Recipes Making Black Tea | How To Brew with Kombucha SCOBY Super Flexible Kombucha Salad Dressing Grilled Gluten-Free, Vegan Sourdough Pizza Crème Fraiche Vinaigrette Julie’s Tomato-Free Marinara Sauce Easy Homemade Italian Sausage With Kombucha Mushroom, Apple, and Jarlsberg Salad Strawberries With Kombucha Mint Sauce
HOMEMADE KOMBUCHA RECIPE » LEELALICIOUS
2021-10-29 Combine your choice of loose leaf tea (black, green or white) in a pot or glass jar with white granulated sugar. Boil 2 cups of water and pour over the sugar tea mix. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Then, allow it to steep until the tea has cooled.
RISE KOMBUCHA RECIPE - RISE
Rise Kombucha Recipe - RISE 750ml of RISE Kombucha to start your SCOBY 6 teaspoons (18 grams) of loose green tea* OR 6-8 green tea bags 3 teaspoons (9 grams) of loose black tea* OR 3-5 black tea bags 1 ⅓ cup (300 grams) of cane sugar (the sugar will dissolve in 1L of water) 3L of filtered (boiling) water
KOMBUCHA SCOBY | HOW TO MAKE KOMBUCHA FROM A SCOBY WITH …
Add an active kombucha SCOBY. Cover the jar with a tight-weave towel or coffee filter and secure it with a rubber band. Allow the mixture to sit undisturbed at 68-85°F, out of direct sunlight, for 7-30 days, or to taste. The longer the kombucha ferments, the less sweet and more vinegary it …
5 OF THE BEST FRUIT FLAVORED KOMBUCHA RECIPES + HOW TO GET THAT …
Method: Place all ingredients in a saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and cook until blueberries are soft and mushy and a light syrup is created. Let cool completely before using. Strain out the pulp so you have the liquid only. Makes 1/2 cup of syrup which is perfect for a 1 liter bottle of kombucha.
HOW TO MAKE KOMBUCHA AT HOME - THE TEA KITCHEN
2022-05-12 Kombucha is renowned for its outstanding health benefits, including its probiotic-rich digestive support and its ability to give your immune system a boost. The drink can be mixed and flavored with any of your favorite blends without compromising the health benefits that you can gain and can be safely consumed between 1 and 3 times per day according to the …
KOMBUCHA RECIPES - LEARN TO BREW KOMBUCHA LIKE THE PROS
Flavored Kombucha Recipes. Try some of our favorite recipes below and become a master of a deliciously brewed ‘bucha. All you’ll need first is a batch of plain kombucha (our Starter Kits can help you out with that) and any additional fruits, hodtools spices or herbs the recipe calls for.. From grapefruit and ginger to spiced watermelon and tumeric tonic, these flavorful twists will …
HOW TO MAKE KOMBUCHA TEA AT HOME - KITCHN
2020-01-22 Kombucha can be made at home with just a handful of ingredients. In this tutorial, we'll show you exactly what to do in detailed step-by-step instructions. Yield Makes about 1 gallon Show Nutrition Ingredients 3 1/2 quarts water 1 cup sugar (regular granulated sugar works best) 8 bags black tea, green tea, or a mix (or 2 tablespoons loose tea)
RECIPES – CATHY KOMBUCHA
GENERIC KOMBUCHA RECIPE. GENERIC KOMBUCHA RECIPE Makes 1 gallon of Kombucha Ingredients: 1 Starter SCOBY (Symbiotic Culture of... See More. Moscow Mule. Switch up your classic Moscow Mule this Holiday Season with Cathy’s Kombucha. Swap out your sugar-filled gin... See More. SCOBY BONES (for dogs) Ingredients: SCOBY Beef of Chicken …
THE BEST HARD KOMBUCHA RECIPE | RéVOLUTION FERMENTATION
500 ml kombucha scoby (starter with high yeast content + kombucha scoby) Steps Brew tea in hot water for 15 to 45 minutes. Remove tea bag of tea leaves. Add sugar and stir to dissolve.
KOMBUCHA RECIPES FOR DIABETICS - BREW YOUR BUCHA
2019-10-24 First, the recipe call for juicing both the lemons and ginger, which will yield about a 3/4 cup and 2 tablespoons respectively. Moreover, the recipe instructs to mix a tablespoon of cayenne pepper with 1/4 cup of organic sugar. Now, the sugar can be omitted if you desire, but it does help the carbonation process.
KOMBUCHA RECIPES - REMEDY DRINKS
2021-03-29 1 tbsp (20ml) nut milk. Method. Melt dark chocolate in a heat-proof bowl in the microwave or over the top of a pot of simmering water on the stove, until liquid. In a bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients for nut butter caramel until smooth. Once the chocolate is melted, divide evenly between silicone egg cases and spread around using ...
WHAT IS KOMBUCHA? | ALLRECIPES
Kombucha tea is a popular fermented drink made with green or black tea, sugar, bacteria, and yeast historically consumed in China, Russia, and Germany. It is slightly effervescent, and store-bought bottles often come labeled "do not shake before opening." You may hear people refer to a "SCOBY" when discussing kombucha.
RECIPES – TONICA KOMBUCHA
While teaching yoga abroad, Zoey came across kombucha tea and was amazed by the incredible digestive boost she got from it. She began to share her then named “fairy’s tonic” kombucha with friends and yoga students. Since then, Tonica has continued to grow as a company, shipping to over 2,500 retailers across Canada.
HOW TO MAKE CONTINUOUS BREW KOMBUCHA (EASIEST RECIPE
2020-01-17 Once tea is completely cool, pour into glass jar, leaving about 20% of the room at the top. Pour in the correct amount of liquid from a previous batch of kombucha or if starting from a dehydrated SCOBY, pour in ½ cup from a store-bought bottle of kombucha. If you don't have starter liquid, vinegar can be used instead.
HOW TO MAKE KOMBUCHA TEA - IFOODREAL.COM
2021-07-10 Add tea and sugar, stir and let cool completely: place in a sink filled with cold water to speed things up, or let sit overnight. In a glass container, add SCOBY and 2 cups of starter tea (the one from growing a SCOBY in or store-bought kombucha). Pour cooled tea on top using a fine mesh strainer.
THE BEST HOMEMADE KOMBUCHA RECIPE: A HEALTHY FIZZY …
First, strain the tea into bottles, leaving about 1 1/2 inches of space at the top. Then add your sweetener of choice and close tightly with the lid. After that, allow 3 to 10 days for fermentation in a dark, room-temperature environment. Before serving, filter out the fruit, if preferred.
KOMBUCHA RECIPE | HOW TO MAKE KOMBUCHA TEA | TEA RECIPE
AKA The Sweet Tea and it will feed your Kombucha mushroom and in return, your kombucha mushroom will turn it into delicious Kombucha: Boil 4 cups of water. Add hot water & tea bags directly into your kombucha brewer (that’s what ever you chose to brew kombucha in!) Let the tea sit/swim/relax in the water anywhere between for 5-10 minutes.
Are you curently on diet or you just want to control your food's nutritions, ingredients? We will help you find recipes by cooking method, nutrition, ingredients...Check it out »
You'll also love