TRULY COCONUTTY CREAM PIE
I love coconut cream pie, but oftentimes, I feel like the coconut flavor is lost in the vanilla pastry cream filling. This coconut cream pie recipe enhances the coconut flavor and texture by utilizing it throughout the recipe.
Provided by Sobie
Number Of Ingredients 20
- To make the crust, combine the flour, salt, cold butter, and cold shortening in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the butter and shortening are the size of small peas. Transfer the mixture to a bowl. Add the coconut water and rum 1 tablespoon at a time, tossing with a fork to mix. When the mixture can be squeezed into a ball, wrap it with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Grease an 8-inch pie pan. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface into a 12-inch circle. Carefully transfer the dough to the pie pan. Trim the edges and fold the dough under itself; crimp the crust. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Prick the bottom and sides of the pie dough with a fork. Line the dough with parchment paper or aluminum foil and weigh it down with pie weights or dried beans (see Editor's Note). Bake until the edges of the crust are golden and the bottom of the crust is just beginning to color, 15 to 20 minutes. Remove the crust from the oven, carefully remove the foil and beans, and set aside.
- Combine the coconut milk, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 cup toasted coconut, and the scraped vanilla bean seeds and pod in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir occasionally to dissolve the sugar. Bring the mixture to a boil and remove from the heat.
- Whisk the remaining 1/2 cup sugar with the cornstarch. Whisk the eggs and egg yolk together in a large heat-proof bowl; whisk in the milk and the cornstarch mixture. Gradually pour the hot coconut milk into the egg mixture, whisking constantly. Return the custard mixture to the saucepan.
- Cook the custard over medium heat, stirring constantly with a spatula or wooden spoon. Bring the mixture to a boil and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. The mixture will thicken. Remove the pan from the heat and discard the vanilla bean pod. Whisk in the butter. Pour the custard into the cooled pie crust. Chill the pie for 1 hour.
- Place a mixing bowl and beaters in the freezer for 15 minutes to chill. Whip the cream on high speed until it begins to thicken; gradually add the confectioner's sugar, vanilla, and lemon juice. Continue beating until stiff. Pipe or spread the cream onto the chilled pie and sprinkle with the remaining toasted coconut.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 723.1 calories, Carbohydrate 58 g, Cholesterol 174.8 mg, Fat 53.1 g, Fiber 2.3 g, Protein 7.1 g, SaturatedFat 35.9 g, Sodium 221.8 mg, Sugar 35.5 g
CLASSIC TOASTED COCONUT CREAM PIE
Provided by Lori Longbotham
Yield Serves 8 to 10
Number Of Ingredients 18
- 1. To make the crust: Whisk together the flour, sugar, and salt in a medium bowl. Cut in the butter with a pastry blender or two knives used scissors-fashion until the butter is the size of small peas. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the water over the mixture, stirring with a fork to moisten it evenly. Continue adding water until the dough just begins to come together when a small bit is pressed between your fingers; do not overwork the dough. Press the dough together into a ball and knead lightly. Shape the dough into a disk, wrap in wax paper, and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or for up to 2 days.
- 2. Position a rack in the middle of the oven and preheat the oven to 425°F.
- 3. Roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface to a 12- to 13-inch round. Transfer the dough to a 9-inch glass pie plate and gently press the pastry against the bottom and up the sides of the plate. Turn the overhang under and crimp the edges. Prick the bottom and sides of the shell with a fork.
- 4. Line the pie shell with a piece of heavy-duty aluminum foil, pressing it snugly into the bottom and against the sides, and fill with uncooked rice or beans. Bake the crust for 12 minutes. Remove the foil and rice and bake for 8 to 10 minutes longer, or until the crust is golden brown. Let cool to room temperature on a wire rack.
- 5. To make the filling: Bring the coconut milk just to a boil in a large heavy saucepan over medium heat. Remove the pan from the heat and cover to keep warm.
- 6. Beat the sugar and egg yolks with an electric mixer on medium-high speed in a large deep bowl until very thick and pale and the volume has increased at least three times. Reduce the speed to medium and beat in the flour, cornstarch, and salt, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. While beating, gradually pour in the warm coconut milk. Return the mixture to the saucepan and cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, until it comes to a boil and thickens, then boil for 1 minute, whisking constantly. Remove the pan from the heat, add the butter, and whisk until melted. Add 3/4 cup of the coconut and 1/2 teaspoon of the vanilla.
- 7. Transfer the pastry cream to a bowl and let cool to room temperature, whisking occasionally. Cover the surface with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming and refrigerate for about 2 hours, until thoroughly chilled and set, or for up to 1 day.
- 8. Beat the heavy cream with the confectioners' sugar with an electric mixer on medium-high speed in a large deep bowl until it holds stiff peaks when the beaters are lifted. Beat in the remaining vanilla. With a rubber spatula, fold about one-quarter of the whipped cream into the pastry cream.
- 9. Transfer the pastry cream to the crust and smooth the top with a small offset spatula. Spread the remaining whipped cream over the top with the clean offset spatula. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or for up to 4 hours, before serving.
- 10. Sprinkle the top of the pie with the remaining toasted coconut. Serve cut into wedges.
COCONUT CREAM PIE
A rich and smooth pie. It takes a half hour to make, but is well worth the effort! Top with whipped cream and toasted coconut, if desired.
Provided by Mary
Categories Coconut Pie
Number Of Ingredients 9
- In a medium saucepan, combine sugar, flour and salt over a medium heat; gradually stir in milk. Cook and stir over medium heat until the mixture is thick and bubbly. Reduce heat to low and cook 2 minutes more. Remove the pan from heat.
- Place a strainer over a clean mixing bowl; set aside.
- Beat the egg yolks slightly. Gradually pour 1 cup of the hot custard mixture into yolks, whisking constantly. Return the egg mixture to the saucepan and bring the entire mixture to a gentle boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes before removing the pan from heat. Immediately pour custard through the strainer.
- Stir butter, vanilla, and coconut into the hot mixture. Pour the hot filling into the baked pie crust. Cool and refrigerate until set, about 4 hours.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 398.5 calories, Carbohydrate 51.1 g, Cholesterol 121.2 mg, Fat 18.8 g, Fiber 1.5 g, Protein 6.9 g, SaturatedFat 9.1 g, Sodium 293.4 mg, Sugar 32.9 g
More about "lories ultimate coconut cream pie recipes"
LORIE'S ULTIMATE COCONUT CREAM PIE : RECIPES - COOKING …
5/5 (2)Category Dessert
ULTIMATE COCONUT CREAM PIE (CREAMY & EASY!) - DINNER, …
COCONUT CREAM PIE RECIPE - LAURA IN THE KITCHEN
COCONUT CREAM PIE RECIPE - A SPICY PERSPECTIVE
HOMEMADE COCONUT CREAM PIE - SALLY'S BAKING ADDICTION
COCONUT CREAM PIE (THE BEST) - RICARDO
OLD-TIME MILE HIGH COCONUT CREAM PIE | TASTY KITCHEN: …
THE WORLD'S BEST COCONUT CREAM PIE RECIPE EVER
THE BEST COCONUT CREAM PIE - BUNNY'S WARM OVEN
HOMEMADE COCONUT CREAM PIE - SPEND WITH PENNIES
THE BEST COCONUT CREAM PIE - MOM ON TIMEOUT
ALL-AMERICAN OREO COCONUT CREAM PIE
COCONUT CREAM PIE - SUGAR SPUN RUN
CLASSIC COCONUT CREAM PIE RECIPE (+VIDEO) | LIL' LUNA
RECIPE DETAIL PAGE | LCBO
LORIE’S ULTIMATE COCONUT CREAM PIE - RICE AND BEANS PRINTABLE …
BEST EVER HOMEMADE COCONUT CREAM PIE - THE DOMESTIC REBEL
ULTIMATE COCONUT CREAM PIE TURNIPS 2 TANGERINES
THE ULTIMATE COCONUT CREAM PIE - MY COUNTRY TABLE
LORIE'S ULTIMATE COCONUT CREAM PIE--AWARD WINNING! | RECIPE
OLD-FASHIONED COCONUT CREAM PIE RECIPE - THE FARMER'S LAMP
LORIE'S ULTIMATE COCONUT CREAM PIE | RECIPE | COCONUT CREAM PIE, …
LORIE'S ULTIMATE COCONUT CREAM PIE--AWARD WINNING! | RECIPE
LUSCIOUS COCONUT CREAM PIE - CATHERINE'S PLATES
MILE HIGH COCONUT CREAM PIE - MELISSASSOUTHERNSTYLEKITCHEN.COM
MRS LORI'S COCONUT MERINGUE PIE - YOUTUBE
THE BEST COCONUT CREAM PIE | MYRECIPES
THE ABSOLUTE BEST COCONUT CREAM PIE - ALL WE COOK
BEST COCONUT CREAM PIE RECIPE - THE PIONEER WOMAN
THE BEST VELVETY SMOOTH COCONUT CREAM PIE RECIPE
OLD-FASHIONED COCONUT CREAM PIE RECIPE - TASTES BETTER FROM …
THE BEST COCONUT CREAM PIE RECIPE - UNCLE BILL'S KITCHEN
ULTIMATE COCONUT CREAM PIE - DIXIE CRYSTALS
BEST COCONUT CREAM PIE RECIPE - SO CREAMY! - PIP AND EBBY
BEST COCONUT CREAM PIE - PLUM STREET COLLECTIVE
BEST EVER COCONUT CREAM PIE (FROM SCRATCH) - MISS ALLIE'S KITCHEN
HOME STYLE COCONUT CREAM PIE - CHEF LORIOUS
LORIE’S ULTIMATE COCONUT CREAM PIE – RECIPES NETWORK
LORIE'S ULTIMATE COCONUT CREAM PIE--AWARD WINNING!
THE WORLD'S BEST COCONUT CREAM PIE RECIPE EVER - MASTERCOOK
MISSISSIPPI KITCHEN: LORIE'S ULTIMATE COCONUT CREAM PIE
You'll also love