SWEET POTATOES AND MARSHMALLOWS
"When I make this, I feel like a kid in my mom's kitchen. The best part is watching the marshmallows bubble and toast."
Provided by Sunny Anderson
Yield 8 to 10 servings
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Melt the butter in a large pot. Stir in the brown sugar and 1/2 cup water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium and simmer, stirring, until reduced and thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile, peel the potatoes and cut them lengthwise, then lengthwise again, making long quarters. Cut the quarters into 1-inch pieces. Boil the potatoes until they give a bit when poked with a fork, about 5 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes and arrange in a single layer in a buttered 3-quart baking dish. Pour the syrup on top, making sure it covers the potatoes. Place the lemon slices on top and bake 35 minutes, spooning the syrup over the potatoes twice during that time. The potatoes are done when they are fork-tender.
- Remove from the oven, discard the lemon slices and stir in the pecans. Top with the marshmallows. Turn the oven up to 400 degrees F, place the baking dish back in the oven, and cook until the marshmallows puff and turn brown, about 10 more minutes.
MASHED SWEET POTATOES WITH MARSHMALLOWS
This is the traditional 'better than Boston Market®' recipe for mashed sweet potatoes. Easy to make and tastes great! If you're looking for the best recipe for this traditional holiday favorite, look no further.
Provided by Samantha
Number Of Ingredients 5
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Place sweet potatoes into a large pot and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes; drain. Transfer drained sweet potatoes to a baking sheet.
- Bake sweet potatoes in the preheated oven until dried, 3 to 4 minutes; transfer to a mixing bowl.
- Mash sweet potatoes with a potato masher until no large lumps remain; add sugar, allspice, and cinnamon. Continue mashing potatoes until evenly seasoned; spoon into a casserole dish. Spread miniature marshmallows in an even layer over the sweet potato mixture.
- Bake in oven until marshmallows just begin to brown, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Switch oven to broil; cook under broiler for 1 minute.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 189.5 calories, Carbohydrate 44.6 g, Fat 0.2 g, Fiber 3.3 g, Protein 2 g, Sodium 61 mg, Sugar 25.9 g
MASHED SWEET POTATOES
Believe it or not, not everyone wants their sweet potatoes topped with marshmallows or brown sugar. For them, here is a straightforward dish that lets the natural, earthy sweetness of sweet potatoes shine.
Provided by Robert Farrar Capon
Categories dinner, easy, vegetables, side dish
Yield 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 4
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake the sweet potatoes for 1 to 1 1/2 hours, or until thoroughly fork tender. (If you're making these for Thanksgiving, you can tuck the potatoes into corners of the oven at any time during the roasting of the turkey.)
- Cut each potato in half lengthwise, scoop the pulp into a bowl and mash with as much butter as you dare to use. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add more butter, if desired. Sprinkle with flaky sea salt, if using. Serve while still warm or reheat before serving.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 213, UnsaturatedFat 3 grams, Carbohydrate 26 grams, Fat 12 grams, Fiber 4 grams, Protein 2 grams, SaturatedFat 7 grams, Sodium 335 milligrams, Sugar 5 grams, TransFat 0 grams
MASHED SWEET POTATOES
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add potatoes and cook until tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
- With an electric mixer on low, blend potatoes, slowly adding milk, about 1/2 a cup at a time. Use more or less to achieve desired texture. Add butter and maple syrup to taste. Blend until smooth. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 352.5 calories, Carbohydrate 50.9 g, Cholesterol 43.1 mg, Fat 16.2 g, Fiber 3.3 g, Protein 2.9 g, SaturatedFat 10.2 g, Sodium 160.1 mg, Sugar 32.3 g
MASHED SWEET POTATOES WITH MAPLE AND BROWN BUTTER
This recipe is a grown-up take on sweet potatoes with brown sugar and marshmallows. A generous swirl of browned butter and maple syrup give the potatoes an earthy sweetness and great depth of flavor, while salted, toasted pecans sprinkled on top add a savory crunch. To save time on Thanksgiving, toast the pecans and make the brown butter up to a day in advance. Simply store the pecans in an airtight container, and the brown butter in the refrigerator. (Gently melt the butter in the microwave before using.)
Provided by Lidey Heuck
Categories dinner, vegetables, side dish
Yield 8 to 10 servings
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the sweet potatoes and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 15 to 20 minutes, until very tender when pierced with a fork.
- Meanwhile, toast the pecans (optional): Place the pecans in a medium sauté pan. Cook over medium-low heat, tossing often, for 3 to 5 minutes, until lightly toasted. Transfer to a cutting board, and roughly chop. Sprinkle generously with salt, and set aside. Wipe out the pan with a paper towel.
- In the same pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Cook, watching carefully and stirring occasionally with a silicone spatula, until brown bits appear and the butter gives off a nutty aroma, about 3 minutes. Remove from the heat immediately. Carefully pour the melted butter into a small heatproof bowl, scraping the pan with a spatula to get all of the brown bits. Set aside.
- Drain the cooked potatoes, and add them to the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Add the milk, 3 tablespoons maple syrup, 2 teaspoons salt and pepper and mix on medium-low speed until the potatoes are creamy and smooth. Add the reserved brown butter and mix until just incorporated.
- Transfer the potatoes to a shallow serving bowl, sprinkle with the reserved pecans, and drizzle with maple syrup. Serve warm. (The potatoes may be kept warm, covered, in a low oven for up to 30 minutes. Add the pecans just before serving.)
EASY SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE WITH MARSHMALLOWS
- Place sweet potatoes in a saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes. Drain and mash.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a casserole dish.
- Combine mashed sweet potatoes, melted butter, egg, honey, and salt in a large bowl; beat using an electric mixer until smooth. Transfer mixture to the prepared casserole dish.
- Dot with cubed butter and top with marshmallows.
- Bake in the preheated oven until marshmallows are golden brown, about 15 minutes. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 374.8 calories, Carbohydrate 69.5 g, Cholesterol 47.6 mg, Fat 8.5 g, Fiber 3.4 g, Protein 2.8 g, SaturatedFat 5.1 g, Sodium 480.3 mg, Sugar 39 g
MASHED SWEET POTATOES
Don't wait until the holidays to enjoy the honeyed flavor and velvety texture of this colorful root vegetable. Serve mashed sweet potatoes as a side dish to your favorite main dish, and you'll have them perfected by the time the holidays roll around.
Provided by Martha Stewart
Yield Makes 3 cups
Number Of Ingredients 5
- Set a steamer basket in a large saucepan. Fill with enough water to come just below basket; bring to a boil, then reduce to a gentle simmer. Place sweet potatoes in steamer basket and cover; steam until tender, 15 to 25 minutes. Drain, and return to saucepan.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, bring half-and-half, butter, and brown sugar to a simmer, stirring to combine; remove from heat. Add to drained sweet potatoes, and mash just until smooth; season with salt and pepper.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 219 g, Fat 12 g, Fiber 2 g, Protein 2 g
MARBLED MASHED SWEET POTATOES
- Put the potatoes and sweet potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with cold water by 1 inch. Add a generous pinch of salt, bring to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are easily pierced with a knife, 35 to 40 minutes. Drain and let cool slightly. Peel the Yukon gold potatoes and transfer to a medium bowl. Peel the sweet potatoes and transfer to a separate bowl.
- Divide the butter between the 2 bowls. Add the heavy cream and sour cream to the Yukon gold potatoes and mash well with a potato masher; season with salt and black pepper. Add the brown sugar and cayenne to the bowl with the sweet potatoes and mash well; season with salt and black pepper.
- Dollop the potatoes and sweet potatoes into a warmed serving dish and swirl using a large spoon. (The potatoes can be made up to 2 hours ahead; set aside in a baking dish. Reheat, covered, at 350 degrees F, 15 to 20 minutes.)
MASHED SWEET POTATOES
I grew up eating sweet potatoes cooked this way. Granny knew it was my favorite and she always served them when I was visiting her. I leave out the nutmeg (personal preference).
Provided by ratherbeswimmin
Categories Yam/Sweet Potato
Yield 12 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Place potatoes and salt in a large pot.
- Add water to cover; bring to a boil; boil for 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender; drain.
- Let potatoes cool until you can handle them; peel and cut into chunks.
- Place potatoes, butter, half-and-half, cinnamon, nutmeg (if using), vanilla, and sugar in a large bowl.
- Beat using an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
- Spoon potato mixture into a lightly greased 13x9 inch baking dish.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes.
- Top with marshmallows; bake 15 more minutes or until golden.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 321.2, Fat 9, SaturatedFat 5.6, Cholesterol 24.1, Sodium 270.7, Carbohydrate 58.5, Fiber 4.7, Sugar 28.2, Protein 3.2
FAVORITE MASHED SWEET POTATOES
My family begs me to make mashed sweet potatoes at Thanksgiving and Christmas. I love this recipe because it can be made a day ahead and warmed up before the big meal. -Senja Merrill, Sandy, Utah
Provided by Taste of Home
Categories Side Dishes
Yield 8 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 5
- Place sweet potatoes in a 6-qt. stockpot; add water to cover. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook, uncovered, 10-15 minutes or until tender. Drain; return to pan. Mash potatoes, gradually adding orange juice, brown sugar, syrup and pie spice to reach desired consistency.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 117 calories, Fat 0 fat (0 saturated fat), Cholesterol 0 cholesterol, Sodium 10mg sodium, Carbohydrate 28g carbohydrate (15g sugars, Fiber 3g fiber), Protein 1g protein. Diabetic Exchanges
More about "mashed sweet potatoes with marshmallows recipes"
SWEET POTATOES CASSEROLE WITH MARSHMALLOWS - MELANIE …
EASY MASHED SWEET POTATOES RECIPE - DELISH
MASHED SWEET POTATOES RECIPE (WITHOUT MARSHMALLOWS!)
FAVOURITE MASHED SWEET POTATOES WITH MARSHMALLOWS RECIPE
Servings 12Calories 143 per servingTotal Time 45 mins
CANDIED SWEET POTATOES WITH MARSHMALLOWS - DINNER, THEN DESSERT
MASHED SWEET POTATO RECIPES - MASHED SWEET POTATOES
MASHED SWEET POTATOES WITH MARSHMALLOWS | RECIPESTY
SWEET POTATOES WITH MARSHMALLOW RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
MASHED SWEET POTATO RECIPES WITH MARSHMALLOWS?
RECIPE MASHED SWEET POTATOES WITH MARSHMALLOWS?
EASY MASHED SWEET POTATO RECIPE WITH MARSHMALLOWS?
HOW DO YOU MAKE MASHED CANDIED SWEET POTATOES?
MASHED SWEET POTATOES - SPEND WITH PENNIES
SAVORY MASHED SWEET POTATOES - COOKIE AND KATE
SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE WITH MARSHMALLOWS - THE SEASONED MOM
SWEET POTATO CASSEROLE WITH MARSHMALLOWS - I HEART EATING
MASHED SWEET POTATOES WITH MARSHMALLOWS RECIPE? – …
SLOW COOKER MASHED SWEET POTATOES WITH MARSHMALLOWS
MASHED SWEET POTATOES WITH MARSHMELLOWS RECIPES
20-MINUTE MASHED SWEET POTATOES - HEALTHY RECIPES BLOG
BEST MASHED SWEET POTATO RECIPE WITH MARSHMALLOWS?
MASHED SWEET POTATOES WITH MARSHMALLOWS | RECIPES WIKI | FANDOM
MASHED SWEET POTATOES WITH MARSHMALLOWS - GABRIELLA QUILLE
SLOW COOKER MASHED SWEET POTATOES RECIPE | MCCORMICK
MASHED SWEET POTATOES WITH MARSHMALLOWS RECIPE | SPARKRECIPES
MASHED SWEET POTATOES RECIPE - DINNER, THEN DESSERT
MAPLE MASHED SWEET POTATOES - ONCE UPON A CHEF
10 BEST MASHED SWEET POTATOES RECIPES | YUMMLY
MASHED SWEET POTATO RECIPE WITH MARSHMALLOWS?
THE BEST MASHED SWEET POTATOES - JUST A TASTE
SWEET POTATOES WITH MARSHMALLOWS - MY RECIPE TREASURES
WHIPPED MASHED SWEET POTATOES BEST RECIPES
10 MASHED SWEET POTATO RECIPES TO MAKE ALL SEASON LONG
FLUFFY MARSHMALLOW SWEET POTATOES RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
STEVE'S MASHED SWEET POTATOES WITH MARSHMALLOWS | RECIPE - RACHAEL RAY SHOW
MASHED SWEET POTATOES RECIPE - COOKING CLASSY
BEST MASHED SWEET POTATO RECIPE WITH MARSHMALLOWS
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to bake sweet potatoes and marshmallows?Mash sweet potatoes with a potato masher until no large lumps remain; add sugar, allspice, and cinnamon. Continue mashing potatoes until evenly seasoned; spoon into a casserole dish. Spread miniature marshmallows in an even layer over the sweet potato mixture. Bake in oven until marshmallows just begin to brown, 10 to 15 minutes.
How to make mashed sweet potatoes?Place sweet potatoes in a large saucepan with enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat, drain, and mash. Place mashed sweet potatoes in large bowl, and use an electric mixer to blend with the margarine, brown sugar, orange juice, and cinnamon. Spread evenly into a 9x13 inch baking dish.
What do you put on a baked sweet potato?Chopped sweet potatoes are baked with brown sugar, caramel topping and butter, then finished with a layer of roasted marshmallows. In this traditional Thanksgiving recipe, sweet potatoes become even sweeter with a topping of baked marshmallows.
How long to cook sweet potatoes in the oven?Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Place sweet potatoes into a large pot and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until tender, about 20 minutes; drain. Transfer drained sweet potatoes to a baking sheet.