SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS
- Heat 2 tablespoons butter plus 2 tablespoons oil in each of 2 skillets over medium heat.
- Put the onion and pepper slices in one skillet and cook until browned and caramelized, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the seasoned salt, lemon pepper, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, black pepper and 1/2 cup of the flour in a pie plate. Dredge the pork chops in the flour mixture.
- Fry the chops in batches in the other skillet until well browned, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Remove the chops from the skillet and set aside.
- To this skillet, add the remaining 3 tablespoons butter and 3 tablespoons flour. Stir and cook until the roux gets some color on it, about 2 minutes. Whisk in the stock a bit at a time, working out all the lumps, then add the cream. Add the onions and peppers, coating them in the sauce.
- Serve with plenty of sauce and the caramelized onions/peppers and accompany with the Smashed Red Potatoes.
- Put the potatoes in a glass or microwavable bowl and microwave according to the manufacturer's instructions, 5 to 10 minutes. Carefully remove the bowl and smash the potatoes with a fork. Add the butter, salt and pepper, then smash again. Cover with a towel until ready to serve.
OBIE'S SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS
From the cookbook, "Harlem Really Cooks" by the late Harlem historian and gourmand Sandra Lawrence. "Obie" was a friend of hers who owned a nightclub/restaurant and smothered chops were one of the many specialties made there. The use of pancake mix in lieu of plain flour gives this dish a slight sweetness along with the sugar as well. The only change I made was the addition of mushrooms to the gravy. Serve with recipe #299114 - I hope you like it. And please, do buy the book. *Note: If you don't eat pork for religious or health reasons, turkey chops are a fine substitute.
Provided by Glutton
Categories < 4 Hours
Yield 6 chops, 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Rinse chops, then pat them dry. Sprinkle with spices mentioned above. Then dredge into pancake mix.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place the chops into the skillet. Brown the chops on both sides. Remove from the skillet and place in a roasting pan.
- In the skillet, now saute the onions and mushrooms with the salt, pepper and sugar until slightly browned.
- Stir in the flour until absorbed. Gradually add the boiling water, stirring constantly, until the gravy thickens and boils.
- Place chops in the pan; cover tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Bake for 1 hour and twenty minutes; the chops and gravy should be a rich golden brown.
- Place chops on a serving platter; either place gravy on top, or strain through sieve and put gravy in a gravy boat; skim fat off top and serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 643.5, Fat 29.9, SaturatedFat 9.4, Cholesterol 207.7, Sodium 1435.1, Carbohydrate 24.8, Fiber 2.4, Sugar 7.3, Protein 65.5
SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS WITH COLLARD GREENS
Provided by Food Network
Yield Yield: 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Season each chop with salt and pepper, then dust with flour. Heat a cast iron skillet just large enough to hold the pork over a medium heat. Add the reserved pork fat and brown the pork chop well-approximately 4 minutes per side. Remove the chops from the pan and set aside. If the pan is dry, add another tablespoon of fat. Add the onions and peppers. Increase the heat to medium high in order to brown the vegetables well. Sprinkle flour over the vegetables and cook, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes. Remove pan from the flame and stir in the hot hock stock until thickened and smooth. Bury the pork chops in the gravy. Cover the skillet and place in a 300 degree oven. Cook 2 hours, or until pork is very tender;
- Collard Greens: Place hock stock in a large sauce pot over a medium high heat. Bring hock stock to a rapid simmer. Pack collards into the stock with the onion and jalapeno. Simmer 2 hours. Season to taste with salt, pepper and malt vinegar.;
- Ham hock stock: Place ham hocks in a stock pot large enough to hold the hocks, leaving 6 inches of free space at the top of the pot. Pour enough cold water over the hocks to cover by 3 inches. Bring to a rapid simmer over a medium high heat. A thick foam will build on the top of the stock. Carefully remove all of the foam. Reduce heat to low and simmer 6 hours. Constantly skim the clear fat that builds at the top of the stock. Reserve the fat for cooking.
SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS FROM BIRDS EYE®
- Season pork chops, if desired, with salt and black pepper. Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat and cook pork chops turning once, 10 minutes or until golden brown. Remove chops from skillet; set aside.
- Add Recipe Ready Chopped Seasoning Blend and cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes or until vegetables are softened.
- Stir in soup and milk; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and add back pork chops. Simmer 5 minutes or until pork is cooked through.* Serve over hot cooked noodles or mashed potatoes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 343.5 calories, Carbohydrate 11.3 g, Cholesterol 72.6 mg, Fat 17.8 g, Protein 30.2 g, SaturatedFat 5.6 g, Sodium 574.7 mg, Sugar 2.5 g
OBIE GREEN'S SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS
I started making this delicious dish almost 40 yrs ago when I found the recipe in a Woman's Day magazine. They are truely the best pork chops I have ever tasted or made. Anyone who has had them always give them rave reviews. The original recipe calls for 1 inch thick pork chops but I never make it with ones that thick. I have even used thin ones or whatever I have on hand. You just have to adjust the cooking time. I also always double the gravy ingredients, except the onions, so we have lots for the mashed potatoes. These pork chops turn out so moist and delicious.
Provided by Dee Stillwell @LILLYDEE
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Wipe chops with paper towels to dry off; sprinkle with 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/4 tsp white pepper; coat with pancake mix. Heat oil in large skillet; brown chops on both sides and place in casserole. I use a large lasagna pan, so that there's plenty of room for the gravy not to spill over) Saute/fry onions with remaining salt, pepper and sugar in same skillet, till lightly browned. Stir in flour; cook for at least 1 - 2 minutes to cook the flour taste out. Gradually add in boiling water while stirring with a whisk. Cook on medium heat, stirring constantly, till thickened and boils. Pour over chops and cover with foil. Bake at 350 for 1 hour 20 min. Remove chops to serving platter; keep hot. Strain gravy through a sieve, pressing onions with a spoon. (I skip this part bcuz I love the onion pieces in the gravy) Skim fat from gravy if necessary. Serve mashed potatoes and the gravy with chops. Yummo!
- Obie Green is the owner of a popular New York City Soul Food Restaurant.
- Note: I have tried making these in a slow cooker, and find you have to zig zag stack them and they have a tendency to fall apart...I like keeping them in a single layer,so they don't break up so much. If you are just cooking for two, and can put them in a single layer, that may work better. But personally, I love leftovers of this dish, and make alot of these yummy pork chops and mashies so we can have reruns. hehe
SOUTHERN SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS
This is the same recipe my grandma used to cook. Nothing fancy about it. No exotic ingredients. I updated it by using cooking spray instead of shortening but otherwise, it is the same. Just plain old down home comfort food. Sure is good with rice or mashed potatoes.
Provided by Sandy in Oklahoma
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Mix cornstarch and broth until smooth and set aside. Spray a skillet with the cooking spray and heat over medium heat.
- Season chops with garlic powder, salt and pepper and cook chops 10 minutes or until well browned on each side. Remove chops and set aside.
- Add the onion and cook over medium heat just until turning translucent but still crisp. Stir cornstarch mixture and add to skillet. Cook until it comes to a boil and thickens, stirring constantly.
- Return chops to pan, cover and cook over low heat for 10-12 minutes or until the chops are done. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS
- Saute onion and garlic in a non-stick skillet coated with vegetable spray until tender. Add pork chops, and brown on both sides. Add 1/2 cup of water, and bring to a boil.
- Whisk together, flour, chicken broth, and browning sauce until smooth. Add to skillet, stirring well. Cover and cook over low heat 30 to 45 minutes or until tender.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 187.3 calories, Carbohydrate 7.8 g, Cholesterol 59.4 mg, Fat 5.2 g, Fiber 0.5 g, Protein 25.8 g, SaturatedFat 1.7 g, Sodium 175.1 mg, Sugar 0.9 g
More about "obie greens smothered pork chops recipes"
OBIE GREENS SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS - BIGOVEN.COM
SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS AND RICE - NO DAIRY RECIPES DINNER
COOKS ILLUSTRATED SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS IN ONION GRAVY ...
SMOTHERED BAKED PORK CHOPS | RECIPE CART
RECIPE: OBIE GREEN'S SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS
COST OBIE GREEN'S SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS RECIPE - COOKEATSHARE
SOUTHERN SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS & GRAVY | I HEART RECIPES
OBIE GREEN'S SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS | RECIPE IN 2021 | PORK ...
SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS RECIPE - CHEF BILLY PARISI
ASTRAY RECIPES: OBIE GREEN'S SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS
OBIE GREEN'S SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS - THE …
OBIE GREEN'S SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS RECIPE - COOKEATSHARE
SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS - CAFE DELITES
EASY SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS - IMMACULATE BITES
SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS WITH GARLICKY COLLARD GREENS - SUNBASKET
ROSIE'S SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS | I HEART RECIPES
HONEY JALAPENO PORK CHOPS - THERESCIPES.INFO
SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS - DINNER, THEN DESSERT
SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS WITH ONIONS & GRAVY RECIPE - YOUTUBE
SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS RECIPE (VIDEO) COOKED BY JULIE
BEST PORK CHOP RECIPES - SUNDAY SUPPER MOVEMENT
10 BEST SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS CROCK POT RECIPES - YUMMLY
CLASSIC SOUTHERN SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS RECIPE
LEAN AND GREEN PORK CHOPS - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY ...
55 RECIPES - PORK CHOPS BONE-IN IDEAS IN 2022 | PORK CHOPS ...
SOUTHERN SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS RECIPE - GRANDBABY CAKES
SOUTHERN SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS | RECIPE CART
BAKED SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS RECIPE WITH ONION GRAVY ...
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What is a southern smothered pork chop recipe?This Southern Smothered Pork Chops Recipe is pure comfort food. Lightly breaded pork chops are smothered in a rich savory and well seasoned brown gravy resulting in the perfect Southern classic. A TRUE DELICACY OF THE SOUTH! Heat 4 tablespoons of oil in large pan over medium heat. Season pork chops with salt and pepper to taste.
How to cook pork chops in a pan?Mix cornstarch and broth until smooth and set aside. Spray a skillet with the cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Season chops with garlic powder, salt and pepper and cook chops 10 minutes or until well browned on each side. Remove chops and set aside. Add the onion and cook over medium heat just until turning translucent but still crisp.
Is smothered pork chops with onion gravy keto?These keto smothered pork chops with onion gravy are super easy to make – you’ll brown the pork, make the gravy, and then cook everything together to perfection. I can’t wait for you to try these! What Are Smothered Pork Chops? This recipe for baked pork chops smothers them in a delicious, creamy onion gravy.
What's in Kevin's smothered pork chops?Crock Pot Smothered Pork ChopsKevin Is Cooking bacon, Tabasco, fresh parsley chopped, salt, black pepper, soy sauce and 9 more Crock Pot Smothered Pork ChopsThe Seasoned Mom