ORANGE AND ALMOND SPANISH CAKE
The first time I tasted this cake I couldn't believe it was possible to make a cake that is so light and yet holds up so well without any flour. The syrup makes it very moist as well. It would be perfect as a gourmet birthday cake for anyone with gluten or flour allergies. When they are in season, Seville oranges are recommended.
Provided by Sackville
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Preheat the oven to 180 C or 350 F.
- Line a 23 cm spring-form tin on the bottom and sides with greaseproof paper.
- Keeping 1 tbsp of caster sugar aside for later, mix the egg yolks and sugar together until pale.
- Then add the almonds and zest.
- Beat the egg whites and remaining tablespoon of sugar until stiff.
- Carefully fold into the sugar-egg mixture, trying not to knock the air out of the whites.
- The egg yolk/sugar mixture will seem quite stiff at first, but keep folding in the egg whites and it will soon loosen up.
- Gently ease the batter into the lined tin.
- Place on the middle shelf of your oven and bake for 60-70 minutes until it is golden on top and firm to touch.
- While the torte is in the oven, make the syrup by placing the orange juice, lemon juice and cinnamon in a saucepan with a handful of sugar.
- Bring to a gentle boil and simmer for about five minutes.
- The syrup should be quite tart.
- Cool and place in the fridge.
- When the torte is ready, remove from the oven and cool completely on a rack before opening the springform tin.
- Transfer to a plate and pierce four small holes in the top of the cake.
- Pour half the syrup over the top and serve with the rest of the syrup on the side.
- If you are making the cake ahead of time, I usually wait until a few hours before serving to pour the syrup over.
SPANISH ORANGE AND ALMOND CAKE
Made with whole oranges - simmered until very tender and then finely chopped - and ground almonds, this classic Spanish cake has a moist, light texture and a wonderful fresh flavour.
Provided by tottenhamrich
Yield Serves 10
Number Of Ingredients 0
- Prep:1hr › Cook:55min › Ready in:1hr55min Put the chopped oranges in a small saucepan, discarding any pips. Add 1 tbsp water, then cover and cook gently for 30 minutes or until the oranges are soft and excess liquid has evaporated. Leave to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC (350ºF, gas mark 4). Line the bottom and sides of a 23 cm (9 in) springform cake tin with baking parchment. Finely chop the oranges in a food processor or blender, or with a large knife. Put the egg whites in a large bowl and whisk until they form stiff peaks. Gradually whisk in half the caster sugar, then whisk for 1 minute. Using the same whisk, whisk the egg yolks with the remaining caster sugar in another bowl for 2-3 minutes or until pale and quite thick. Whisk in the finely chopped oranges, then carefully fold in the ground almonds.
- Stir in 3 spoonfuls of the whisked egg white to loosen the mixture, then gently fold in the remaining whites with a large metal spoon. Transfer the mixture to the prepared tin and level the top. Sprinkle with the flaked almonds.
- Bake for 50-55 minutes or until the cake is golden and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Check the cake after 20 minutes and again at 30 minutes, and cover lightly with foil if it is browning too quickly. Leave the cake to cool in the tin, then turn it out, peel away the lining paper and transfer to a serving plate. Dust with icing sugar before serving. The cake can be kept in an airtight tin for up to 2 days.
ORANGE ALMOND CAKE
- Place orange in a saucepan. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer until orange is soft, about 30 minutes. Drain.
- Cut orange into chunks and discard seeds.
- Mix almond flour with 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8-inch cake pan and coat the pan with a handful of the almond-sugar mixture.
- Combine orange chunks and 1 cup sugar in a food processor; pulse until pureed. Add almond flour mixture and butter; process until smooth. Add eggs; mix until smooth. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; process until just combined. Pour batter into the prepared cake pan.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 35 to 45 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 428.3 calories, Carbohydrate 43 g, Cholesterol 139.1 mg, Fat 25.3 g, Fiber 3.7 g, Protein 10.8 g, SaturatedFat 7.5 g, Sodium 396.2 mg, Sugar 31.5 g
CLAUDIA RODEN'S ORANGE AND ALMOND CAKE
Moira Hodgson rooted this classic out of Claudia Roden's terrific cookbook, "Everything Tastes Better Outdoors," and brought it to The Times in 1987: a flourless orange and almond cake that goes beautifully with blueberries or peaches, and is the perfect thing to carry along on a picnic. Extremely moist, it consists of two seeded oranges (peel and all), ground almonds, sugar and eggs - and no flour. Baked in a hot oven, it will be done in just about an hour or so, longer if the orange pulp is extremely wet. Opening the oven door to check will not harm it.
Provided by Moira Hodgson
Categories cakes, times classics, dessert
Yield 10 servings
Number Of Ingredients 5
- Wash the oranges and simmer them, unpeeled, in water to cover for 2 hours. Cool, cut them open and remove the seeds. Puree the oranges, including the peel, in a food processor.
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Beat the eggs in a food processor or large bowl. Add the remaining ingredients, including the orange puree, and mix thoroughly. Pour into a buttered and floured cake tin, with a removable base if possible.
- Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in the pan before turning out.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 274, UnsaturatedFat 11 grams, Carbohydrate 32 grams, Fat 14 grams, Fiber 4 grams, Protein 8 grams, SaturatedFat 2 grams, Sodium 73 milligrams, Sugar 27 grams, TransFat 0 grams
More about "orange and almond spanish cake recipes"
DELICIOUS SPANISH ORANGE AND ALMOND CAKE RECIPE
Reviews 28Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
SPANISH ALMOND ORANGE CAKE | SURREYFARMS. A SERENE …
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
SPANISH ORANGE AND ALMOND CAKE…..A DELICIOUS MOIST …
SPANISH ALMOND CAKE (TARTA DE SANTIAGO RECIPE)
DELICIOUS SPANISH ORANGE AND ALMOND CAKE RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
SPANISH ORANGE AND ALMOND CAKE RECIPE - PINTEREST
JAFFA BITES | CHOCOLATE ORANGE CAKE | JAFFA CAKE RECIPE | EGGLESS ...
SPANISH ORANGE AND ALMOND CAKE | RECIPE | ORANGE AND ALMOND …
SPANISH ALMOND AND ORANGE CAKE - INSIDE OUT HEALTH
EGYPTIAN ORANGE AND ALMOND CAKE - ANNABEL LANGBEIN – RECIPES
HAIRY BIKERS' ORANGE AND ALMOND CAKE - ASDA GOOD LIVING
MALLORCAN SPANISH ALMOND CAKE RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
SPANISH ORANGE AND ALMOND CAKE RECIPE - ALL RECIPES UK | ALMOND …
TARTA DE SANTIAGO (SPANISH ALMOND CAKE)- THE BOSSY KITCHEN
SPANISH ALMOND CAKE (TARTA DE SANTIAGO) | EL MUNDO EATS
SPANISH ORANGE AND ALMOND CAKE - STAGE.BESTHEALTHMAG.CA
BEST ORANGE ALMOND FLOURLESS CAKE - HEALTHY WORLD CUISINE
SPANISH ALMOND CAKE (TARTA DE SANTIAGO) - BAKES BY BROWN SUGAR
SPANISH ORANGE-ALMOND FLAN RECIPE- THE BOSSY KITCHEN
SICILIAN ORANGE CAKE RECIPE | "PAN D'ARANCIO" - RECIPES FROM ITALY
SPANISH ALMOND CAKE - TARTA DE SANTIAGO - VISIT SOUTHERN SPAIN
BEST LEMON OLIVE OIL CAKE - SPANISH SABORES
MY SPANISH KITCHEN MEETS HISTORY: ORANGE ALMOND CAKE
SPANISH ORANGE AND ALMOND CAKE | ORANGE AND ALMOND CAKE, …
THE ONE & ONLY TARTA DE SANTIAGO | THE FAMOUS SPANISH ALMOND …
ORANGE AND ALMOND CAKE RECIPE - BBC FOOD
ORANGE AND ALMOND CAKE RECIPE – BRINDISA SPANISH FOODS
SPANISH ORANGE AND ALMOND CAKE | ORANGE AND ALMOND CAKE, …
SPANISH ALMOND CAKE RECIPE (TARTA DE SANTIAGO) - HAPPY FOODS …
SPANISH ALMOND CAKE (TARTA DE SANTIAGO) | OLDWAYS
ORANGE AND ALMOND SPANISH CAKE RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
CLAUDIA RODEN'S ORANGE AND ALMOND CAKE - THE GUARDIAN
ORANGE AND ALMOND SPANISH CAKE RECIPE - FOOD.COM
SPANISH ORANGE CAKE | GLUTEN FREE AND FAT FREE | RECIPES'R'SIMPLE
SPANISH ORANGE AND ALMOND CAKE RECIPE | YUMMLY
ALMOND SPANISH CAKE : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST - BESTDOGWIKI
ORANGE AND ALMOND CAKE - SOUVLAKI FOR THE SOUL
#weeknight #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #occasion #desserts #eggs-dairy #fruit #spanish #oven #european #vegetarian #cakes #nuts #eggs #dietary #low-sodium #gluten-free #low-saturated-fat #free-of-something #low-in-something #citrus #lemon #oranges #taste-mood #sweet #equipment #4-hours-or-less
You'll also love