ORIGINAL PONHAWS - PANNHAS - PONHAUS - SCRAPPLE
An heirloom, butchering-time recipe impractical for most modern cooks. Thrifty farmers of the time used everything but the squeal. This is very similar to the more familiar scrapple. Oatmeal scrapple may be made using this recipe subbing that grain for the cornmeal. From the Pennsylvania Dutch chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947. Posting it as a historical novelty.
Provided by Molly53
Yield 6 pounds
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Separate pig head into halves.
- Remove eyes and brains.
- Scrape head and clean thoroughly.
- Place in a large kettle, cover with water and simmer gently for 2 or 3 hours (or until meat falls off the bone).
- Skim grease from the surface; remove meat, chop finely and return to broth.
- Season with salt, pepper and sage to taste.
- Sift in corn meal, stirring constantly, until the mixture is thickened to the consistency of soft mush.
- Cook very slowly for one hour over low heat.
- When sufficiently cooked, pour into greased loaf pans and store in a cool place until ready to use.
- To serve, cut into 1/2" slices and fry until crisp and brown.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 224.8, Fat 2.2, SaturatedFat 0.3, Sodium 1588.1, Carbohydrate 47.9, Fiber 4.9, Sugar 0.4, Protein 5.1
This recipe is a low dutch version of scrapple, often made after butchering a hog. It was given to me by my exhusband's grandmother and was a family favorite for years.
Provided by Earthsaverlou
Yield 6 pints, 24 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 5
- Boil the meat until it falls off the bones, generally in a dutch oven on top of the stove.
- About 2 hours.
- Reserve cooking liquid.
- Remove meat from bones and grind, fat and all in meat grinder.
- Cook old fashioned oats in the cooking liquid, adding enough oats to make a texture like oatmeal.
- Mix ground meat with oatmeal mixture and add allspice, salt and pepper"to taste".
- I used a fair amount of allspice, 1-2T for a batch.
- Refrigerate or freeze in serving sized batches.
- Prepare by spoon frying, with a little butter or oil, until a browned coating forms.
- Eat for breakfast or on bread as a sandwich.
Nutrition Facts :
More about "original ponhaws pannhas ponhaus scrapple recipes"
HOMEMADE SCRAPPLE - A COALCRACKER IN THE KITCHEN
PONHAUS - PINTEREST
SCRAPPLE - TRADITIONAL - MEATS AND SAUSAGES
16 BEST SCRAPPLE, PONHAUS, PAN PUDDING, WHATEVER IDEAS | SCRAPPLE ...
PONHAAS (SCRAPPLE) - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
ORIGINAL PONHAWS - PANNHAS - PONHAUS - SCRAPPLE - PLAIN.RECIPES
ROSA'S YUMMY YUMS: CORNED BEEF SCRAPPLE OR PONHAWS
PENNSYLVANIA DUTCH SCRAPPLE RECIPE - GRIT
PON HAUS (VRP 153) - VINTAGE RECIPE PROJECT
IS PON HAUS AND SCRAPPLE THE SAME THING? - TIMBERLANEMUSIC.ORG
PAN HAUS - TASTY GERMAN RECIPES
PONHAWS (CORNMEAL SCRAPPLE) - TASTY GERMAN RECIPES
BEST AMERICAN RECIPES: ORIGINAL PONHAWS - PANNHAS - PONHAUS
OLD FASHIONED SCRAPPLE RECIPE - LEARNTOMAKEAGIFTBASKET.COM
MY MIND IS FREE VERSE: OCTOBER 2012
ASTRAY RECIPES: SCRAPPLE ( PONHAWS )
10 BEST PORK SCRAPPLE RECIPES | YUMMLY
PON HAUS RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD - STEVEHACKS
DIFFERENCE BETWEEN PONHAUS AND SCRAPPLE - THERESCIPES.INFO
MAKING PON HAUS MY WAY~ A FAMILY FAVORITE - A PROVERBS 31 WIFE
SCRAPPLE RECIPE - GRIT
TRADITIONAL SCRAPPLE RECIPE RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
PON HAUS (SCRAPPLE) - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
PENNSYLVANIA DUTCH - SCRAPPLE / PANHAAS (TWO RECIPES)
PON HOSS VS SCRAPPLE - THERESCIPES.INFO - THERECIPES
ORIGINAL PONHAWS - PANNHAS - PONHAUS - SCRAPPLE RECIPE
PANNHAAS : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST - BESTDOGWIKI
VENSION SCRAPPLE - AWESOME PON HAUS RECIPE - YOUTUBE
MAPLE SYRUP : SCRAPPLE
10 BEST PORK SCRAPPLE RECIPES | YUMMLY
CHEESY SAUSAGE AND RICE BAKE - AMISH 365
PANHAUS RECIPE : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST - BESTDOGWIKI
WHERE TO BUY SCRAPPLE IN CHICAGO - GERI TILLERY
PAN HAUS: A DELICIOUS GERMAN BREAKFAST LEGACY – RECIPE INCLUDED
You'll also love