PORTOKALOPITA (GREEK ORANGE PHYLLO CAKE)
Portokalopita is a deliciously different cake, and a must-try for anyone who is afraid of phyllo. Why? Because here the phyllo is shredded to bits - the messier the better! The gorgeous orange and cinnamon syrup ensures this cake stays beautifully moist.
Provided by Diana Moutsopoulos
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Combine 2 cups sugar, water, and cinnamon in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Squeeze in orange juice and add juiced halves. Bring to a boil and boil vigorously for 8 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool while you prepare the cake.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13-inch baking pan with some olive oil.
- Remove phyllo sheets from the package. Tear each sheet roughly into shreds and pile up in the baking pan. Let shredded phyllo dry out a little while you prepare the remaining ingredients. Cut 1 orange in half, and slice 1 half into very thin half-moons to garnish the cake. Zest and juice the remaining 2 1/2 oranges.
- Combine orange juice, orange zest, eggs, yogurt, olive oil, 1/2 cup sugar, and baking powder in a blender or food processor. Blend together on high speed until frothy, about 2 minutes. Pour orange and egg mixture over the shredded phyllo in the baking pan. Stir everything together gently to ensure that the egg mixture is evenly distributed. Garnish top of the cake with the orange slices.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the top is golden and the filling set, about 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and immediately pour the cooled syrup over the hot cake. Set aside for at least 1 hour, until most of the syrup has soaked in. Slice into squares and serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 465.4 calories, Carbohydrate 67.7 g, Cholesterol 81.3 mg, Fat 19.5 g, Fiber 1.9 g, Protein 6.7 g, SaturatedFat 3.9 g, Sodium 305.4 mg, Sugar 46.7 g
PORTOKALOPITA - GREEK - SWEET ORANGE PIE
This recipe has been posted for play in ZWT9 - Greece. This recipe is from website: Realgreekrecipes.blogspot.ca. A delicious, refreshing pie for the hot summer months! It can be served warm, or cold with ice cream. Please Note: Time is not included for filo pastry to dry out.
Provided by Baby Kato
Yield 1 pie
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Leave the sheets of filo pastry out, separated and uncovered, to dry for a few hours.
- Crumble the sheets of filo.
- Put the olive oil and eggs in a mixing bowl and whisk well with a metal whisker.
- Add the yoghurt, sugar and baking powder and continue whisking until you have a smooth cream.
- Add the crumbled filo pastry and mix in well with your hands.
- Put in an oven dish and bake in a preheated oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes until it turns a golden colour.
- In the meantime, prepare the syrup - boil the syrup ingredients in a pan for 5 minutes.
- After the pie is cold, cut into portions and spread the warm syrup on top.
- Eat and Enjoy!
PORTOKALOPITA - GREEK ORANGE PIE
This version of Portokalopita is different from the others on this site. The recipe is an old family recipe and, not having made the others, I feel this one is probably richer and more flavorful.
Provided by Jostlori
Yield 10 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 12
- In a saucepan over medium-high heat combine the water, sugar, honey and strips of orange zest. Bring to a boil and cook for about 15 minutes. Cover the saucepan and set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F Lightly oil an 8x11 baking dish.
- Unfold the phyllo dough and tear it into large pieces. Set aside, uncovered, while preparing the rest of the pie.
- In a large bowl lightly whisk the eggs. Add the oil, sugar, vanilla, orange zest, yogurt and baking powder and whisk well.
- Pour the mixture into the baking dish then add the torn pieces of phyllo, pushing some pieces down slightly to coat.
- Bake the pie until set and golden on top, about 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and score lightly into pieces with a sharp knife. Pour the cooled syrup over the top. Let cool it completely before serving.
- Serving suggestion: place a piece of portokalopita on a plate and sprinkle with diced candied walnut pieces.
PORTOKALOPITA RECIPE BY TASTY
Learn how to make Madame Ginger's authentic portokalopita, or Greek orange phyllo pie. Fresh orange batter entwined with buttery phyllo dough brings you to a custardy heaven you never thought possible.
Provided by Jasmine Pak
Yield 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (180°C). Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper. Grease a 9 x 13-inch (22 x 33 cm) baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Tear the phyllo sheets into uneven pieces, separating the layers, and evenly spread across the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until the phyllo is lightly toasted and hardened. Set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, use a whisk or electric hand mixer on medium-high speed to whip the sugar and the eggs together until doubled in volume, pale yellow, and thick, about 5 minutes.
- Add the sunflower oil, baking powder, vanilla, orange zest, and Greek yogurt. Beat for 1-2 minutes, until smooth.
- Crush the toasted phyllo into small pieces, then use a rubber spatula to fold into the egg mixture until well incorporated.
- Transfer the orange pie mixture to the prepared baking dish and spread in an even layer.
- Bake for about 40 minutes, until the top is golden and the filling is set. If the surface is browning too quickly, cover the pan with foil.
- While the pie is baking, make the orange syrup: In a medium saucepan, combine the orange juice, water, lemon juice, orange peel, and sugar. Bring to a low boil over medium low heat and cook until the sugar is dissolved and the syrup is slightly thickened, 10-12 minutes.
- Remove the orange pie from the oven and poke the surface all over with a fork.
- Slowly ladle the orange syrup over the cake, letting the pie soak up the syrup.
- Let the pie sit for about 1 hour to fully absorb the syrup, then slice and serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 635 calories, Carbohydrate 91 grams, Fat 26 grams, Fiber 4 grams, Protein 12 grams, Sugar 52 grams
More about "portokalopita greek orange pie recipes"
PORTOKALOPITA - GREEK ORANGE PIE - REAL GREEK RECIPES
4.2/5 (39)Category DessertCuisine GreekCalories 546 per serving
- Before you start making the pie you will have to prepare the syrup. So it will be at room temperature once the pie is baked and you'll drizzle it on top.
PORTOKALOPITA / GREEK ORANGE PIE - MYGREEKITCHEN
Estimated Reading Time 40 secs
ORANGE CAKE | PORTOKALOPITA - NIKKIGLEKAS
GREEK ORANGE CAKE - THE OLIVE AND THE SEA
TRADITIONAL GREEK ORANGE PHYLLO CAKE “PORTOKALOPITA” - SIFTNWHISK
PORTOKALOPITA-GREEK ORANGE CAKE WITH SYRUP - MY BAKING SAGA
PORTOKALOPITA ORANGE PIE : GREEK RECIPES COOKBOOK @ YIAHARA!
RECIPE: PORTOKALOPITA, A SYRUPY ORANGE-FLAVORED PIE
PORTOKALOPITA - GREEK ORANGE PHYLLO CAKE - GOURMANDELLE
PORTOKALOPITA - FIGS & PIGS
PORTOKALOPITA - GREEK ORANGE CAKE - SOUVLAKI FOR THE SOUL
“PORTOKALOPITA” – GREEK ORANGE PIE | CUISINOVIA
GREEK ORANGE FILO PIE WITH SYRUP PORTOKALOPITA
PORTOKALOPITA RECIPE - GREEK ORANGE PIE - STAYLEFKADA.COM
TRADITIONAL GREEK ORANGE CAKE WITH SYRUP (PORTOKALOPITA)
JUICY GREEK ORANGE FILLO CAKE - SKILLET PORTOKALOPITA
THE ONLY PORTOKALOPITA RECIPE YOU’LL EVER NEED BY TASSOS ANTONIOU
ORANGE CREAM PIE RECIPE - THERESCIPES.INFO
PORTOKALOPITA RECIPE (GREEK ORANGE CAKE) | OLIVEMAGAZINE
GREEK SWEET ORANGE PIE (PORTOKALOPITA), RECIPE PETITCHEF
PORTOKALOPITA, ORANGE PIE, - THE GREEK CHEF
GREEK ORANGE PIE (Πορτοκαλόπιτα)
PORTOKALOPITA (ORANGE PIE WITH PHYLLO) - KOPIASTE..TO GREEK …
GREEK ORANGE PIE (PORTOKALOPITA) | AKIS PETRETZIKIS - YOUTUBE
PORTOKALOPITA RECIPE (GREEK ORANGE PHYLLO CAKE)
PORTOKALOPITA - GREEK ORANGE CAKE - ANNABEL & GRACE
ORANGE FILO PIE (PORTOKALOPITA) RECIPE : SBS FOOD
PORTOKALOPITA: GREEK STYLE ORANGE PHYLLO PUDDING CAKE
GREEK ORANGE PIE WITH SHREDDED PHYLLO | AKIS PETRETZIKIS
Πορτοκαλόπιτα - Άκης Πετρετζίκης
GREEK RECIPE: PORTOKALOPITA (GREEK ORANGE PHYLLO CAKE) BY
GREEK PORTOKALOPITA. ORANGE PIE - RECIPES, COOKING TIPS, AND FOOD …
GREEK ORANGE PHYLLO CAKE (PORTOKALOPITA) | OLIVE & MANGO
ORANGE FILLO PIE ‘PORTOKALOPITA’ - EVERYDAY GOURMET
PORTOKALOPITA (GREEK ORANGE AND PHYLLO CAKE) RECIPE | SIDECHEF
PORTOKALOPITA (GREEK ORANGE PHYLLO PIE) RECIPE - KOUZOUNAS KITCHEN
GREEK ORANGE FILO CAKE | PORTOKALOPITA | GREEK DESSERTS - YOUTUBE
PORTOKALOPITA - MYGREEKITCHEN
PORTOKALOPITA GREEK SWEET ORANGE PIE RECIPES - FOOD NEWS
PORTOKALOPITA - GREEK ORANGE PHYLLO CAKE - THE GREEK FOODIE
PORTOKALOPITA (GREEK ORANGE & PHYLLO CAKE) – MOSTLY GREEK
GREEK PORTOKALOPITA. ORANGE PIE - PLAIN.RECIPES
You'll also love