QUICK FRESH SAUERKRAUT
This is a combination of recipes from "Eating Well" and "Everyday Food" and I figured that I would post, as there doesn't seem to be a really quick (as in doesn't take 6 weeks) sauerkraut recipe on here! It isn't quite like the real thing, but is very easy! I hope that you enjoy!
Provided by Dwynnie
Yield 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Heat oil in pan over medium-high heat and cook onion, stirring constantly, until it begins to soften and turn translucent.
- Add cabbage, cider, vinegar, water, salt and caraway seeds and bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer for approximately 30 to 45 minutes, until the cabbage is tender. Add a little water if it gets too dry.
- This can be kept in the fridge for 2 weeks.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 44.3, Fat 1.8, SaturatedFat 0.3, Sodium 889.7, Carbohydrate 5.3, Fiber 1.9, Sugar 2.8, Protein 1
QUICK SAUERKRAUT WITH GRILLED BRATS AND MUSTARD BAR
Provided by Valerie Bertinelli
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Preheat a grill for direct and indirect cooking.
- Toss the cabbage with the shallots, vinegar, brown sugar and 1 tablespoon salt in a large microwave-safe bowl. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and microwave on high for 5 minutes. Stir well and let stand for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, place the brats on the indirect heat portion of the grill and grill, turning occasionally, until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F, 15 to 18 minutes. Move the brats over to the direct side of the grill and cook, turning occasionally, until lightly browned on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- While the brats finish grilling, melt the butter in a large skillet placed directly on the grill. Add the caraway seeds and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the sauerkraut and stir until well coated. Stir in the dill if using.
- Serve the bratwursts with the sauerkraut and assorted mustards on the side.
This easy-to-make sauerkraut is a tasty hot dog topping. Use it to make our Classic Reubens and Pierogi with Sauerkraut and Mushrooms.
Provided by Martha Stewart
Categories Food & Cooking Healthy Recipes Gluten-Free Recipes
Yield Makes 6 cups
Number Of Ingredients 3
- In a medium saucepan, combine cabbage, vinegar, salt, and 1 1/4 cups water. Cover, and cook over medium, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is tender, 30 to 35 minutes (if bottom of pan starts to brown, add 1/4 cup more water). To store, refrigerate up to 2 weeks.
EASY HOMEMADE SAUERKRAUT
Sauerkraut has been a staple for hundreds of years. This is great on its own or as a topper for a variety of foods. Refrigerate or freeze sauerkraut once it is fermented.
Provided by Ellie
Categories Side Dish Sauces and Condiments Recipes Canning and Preserving Recipes Pickled
Number Of Ingredients 5
- Mix cabbage, onion, sea salt, and garlic together in a bowl. Firmly pack mixture into a large, clean, food-grade plastic bucket. The cabbage will start to make its own brine as the salt starts to draw out the water of the cabbage.
- Fill a large, clean, food-grade plastic bag with water and place over the salted cabbage mixture so none of the cabbage is exposed to air.
- Allow cabbage to ferment in a cool, dry place, 1 to 4 weeks (depending on how tangy you like your sauerkraut). The temperature of the room you ferment the sauerkraut in should not rise above 70 degrees F (21 degrees C).
Nutrition Facts : Calories 28 calories, Carbohydrate 6.5 g, Fat 0.1 g, Fiber 2.5 g, Protein 1.3 g, Sodium 677.8 mg, Sugar 3.4 g
This is a comfort food that reminds me of visiting my grandparents. They always had kielbasa and sauerkraut among the holiday feasts. Kielbasa tastes best when it is sliced thickly and placed on the bottom of the pot before you begin cooking.
Provided by onenickol
Categories Side Dish Vegetables
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Combine water, 1/2 of the vinegar, and onion in a pot over high heat; add cabbage, sea salt, celery seed, onion powder, garlic powder, and black pepper. Pour the remaining vinegar over cabbage mixture. Cover pot and bring water to a boil; cook mixture for about 3 minutes.
- Stir cabbage mixture and return lid to pot; cook, stirring occasionally, until cabbage is tender and wilted, 10 to 15 minutes more.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 45 calories, Carbohydrate 10.2 g, Fat 0.2 g, Fiber 4 g, Protein 2.1 g, SaturatedFat 0.1 g, Sodium 193.4 mg, Sugar 5.4 g
Serve this sauerkraut over the New York City Hot Dog.
Provided by Martha Stewart
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. When oil shimmers, add onions and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions are soft and translucent, 3 minutes.
- Add cabbage, apple cider vinegar, apple cider, and 1/2 cup water to saucepan and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer until cabbage is tender, 30-35 minutes.
HOW TO MAKE SAUERKRAUT
Try the simplest way to make classic sauerkraut using raw cabbage. This fermented food is great for your gut and goes very well with sausages and mustard
Provided by Jane Hornby
Yield Makes 4 x 450ml jars
Number Of Ingredients 4
- Thoroughly wash a large tub or bowl (we used on the size of a small washing-up bowl), then rinse with boiling water from the kettle. Make sure that your hands, and everything else coming into contact with the cabbage, are very clean. It's wise to use a container that will comfortably fit the softened cabbage, allowing several inches of room at the top to avoid overflow.
- Shred the cabbage thinly - a food processor makes light work of this. Layer the cabbage and the salt in the tub or bowl. Massage the salt into the cabbage for 5 mins, wait 5 mins, then repeat. You should end up with a much-reduced volume of cabbage sitting in its own brine. Mix in the caraway seeds and the peppercorns.
- Cover the surface of the cabbage entirely with a sheet of cling film, then press out all the air bubbles from below. Weigh the cabbage down using a couple of heavy plates, or other weights that fit your bowl, and cover as much of the cabbage as possible. The level of the brine will rise to cover the cabbage a little. Cover the tub and leave in a dark place at a cool room temperature (about 18-20C) for at least five days. It will be ready to eat after five days, but for maximum flavour leave the cabbage to ferment for anywhere between 2-6 weeks (or until the bubbling subsides).
- Check the cabbage every day or so, releasing any gases that have built up as it ferments, giving it a stir to release the bubbles. If any scum forms, remove it, rinse the weights in boiling water and replace the cling film. You should see bubbles appearing within the cabbage, and possibly some foam on the top of the brine. It's important to keep it at an even, cool room temperature - too cool and the ferment will take longer than you'd like, too warm and the sauerkraut may become mouldy or ferment too quickly, leading to a less than perfect result.
- The cabbage will become increasingly sour the longer it's fermented, so taste it now and again. When you like the flavour, transfer it to smaller sterilised jars. Will keep in the fridge for up to six months.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 33 calories, Carbohydrate 5 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 5 grams sugar, Fiber 3 grams fiber, Protein 1 grams protein, Sodium 2.1 milligram of sodium
More about "quick sauerkraut recipes"
QUICK SAUERKRAUT RECIPE (WITH STEP-BY-STEP PHOTOS)
4.8/5 (14)Total Time 30 minsCategory CondimentCalories 16 per serving
- Add water to the cabbage and start mixing and squeezing everything with your hands for a few minutes to bruise the vegetable and release the juices.
QUICK SAUERKRAUT RECIPE -SUNSET MAGAZINE
3/5 (30)Estimated Reading Time 40 secsServings 3Total Time 25 mins
QUICK SAUERKRAUT RECIPE | MYRECIPES
Servings 3Total Time 25 mins
OMA'S GERMAN RECIPE FOR SAUERKRAUT
QUICK SAUERKRAUT RECIPE - GOOD HOUSEKEEPING
40 RECIPES THAT USE SAUERKRAUT - TASTE OF HOME
10 BEST SAUERKRAUT CASSEROLE RECIPES | YUMMLY
A SUPER EASY SAUERKRAUT RECIPE - I'D RATHER BE A CHEF
BEST MILD HOMEMADE SAUERKRAUT RECIPE (THAT …
THE EASIEST HOMEMADE SAUERKRAUT RECIPE IN A MASON JAR
21 EASY RECIPES USING SAUERKRAUT · HIDDEN SPRINGS …
EASY FERMENTED SAUERKRAUT RECIPE | FERMENTAHOLICS
OMA'S GERMAN SAUERKRAUT CASSEROLE WITH HAM OR …
EASY SAUERKRAUT RECIPE - THE SEASONED MOM
QUICK SAUERKRAUT RECIPE - COOKCREWS.COM
HOW TO COOK SAUERKRAUT FROM A JAR (7 COOKING METHODS FOR …
EASY SAUERKRAUT RECIPE - BBC FOOD
WHAT TO DO WITH SAUERKRAUT: 37 AMAZING RECIPES
HOW TO MAKE SAUERKRAUT - THE DARING GOURMET
EASY HOMEMADE SAUERKRAUT RECIPE - KITCHEN DIVAS
QUICK FRIED SAUERKRAUT [BEST RECIPE!] | POLONIST
HOMEMADE GERMAN SAUERKRAUT RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
QUICK FRIED SAUERKRAUT – FOR BREAKFAST OR DINNER
10 BEST SAUERKRAUT DINNER RECIPES | YUMMLY
HOW TO MAKE SAUERKRAUT AT HOME | TASTE OF HOME
AT THE IMMIGRANT'S TABLE: QUICK-PICKLED SAUERKRAUT
QUICK GERMAN SAUERKRAUT RECIPE - CTV
QUICK DILL SAUERKRAUT — 86 EATS
EASY HOMEMADE SAUERKRAUT (RAW + FERMENTED) - BAKED GREENS
QUICK OVERNIGHT SAUERKRAUT - MOMSDISH
SAUERKRAUT RECIPES - BBC FOOD
QUICK AND EASY SAUERKRAUT PASTA | HEARTFUL TABLE
QUICK FERMENTED SAUERKRAUT RECIPE, NO COOKING REQUIRED
SIMPLE SAUERKRAUT RECIPE | EATINGWELL
SAUERKRAUT RECIPE: IT CAN’T GET ANY EASIER FOR THE PERFECT ‘KRAUT!
EASY SAUERKRAUT RECIPE (JUST 2 INGREDIENTS!) | ELIZABETH RIDER
HOW TO MAKE THE EASIEST HOMEMADE SAUERKRAUT - YOUTUBE
SAUERKRAUT RECIPES - FOOD NETWORK
QUICK SAUERKRAUT DINNER - DEI FRATELLI
20 MINUTE HOW TO COOK CANNED SAUERKRAUT RECIPE - LOAVES AND …
Are you curently on diet or you just want to control your food's nutritions, ingredients? We will help you find recipes by cooking method, nutrition, ingredients...Check it out »
You'll also love