ROASTED AND CURRIED BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
This is my original recipe and can be either vegetarian or meat based. It also freezes well - just thaw, heat and add cream or yoghurt before serving. It's delicious and well worth the extra steps of roasting and pureeing. Enjoy!
Provided by lcpgh
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Place squash halves and onion onto the prepared baking sheet. Wrap garlic in foil and set with other vegetables.
- Roast in the center of the oven for 45 to 60 minutes, until the squash is tender. Remove from oven and set aside until cool enough to handle.
- Squeeze garlic cloves out of their skin like paste into a food processor. Scrape the flesh from the squash and place into the food processor along with the roasted onion. Puree until smooth. Add vegetable broth if necessary. Transfer the pureed mixture to a stockpot and stir in vegetable broth. Season with the bay leaf, brown sugar, curry powder, oregano, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil and simmer gently for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in yogurt.
- Remove bay leaf and serve hot. Garnish with fresh parsley if desired.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 142.4 calories, Carbohydrate 31.1 g, Cholesterol 1.8 mg, Fat 1.2 g, Fiber 4.9 g, Protein 4.9 g, SaturatedFat 0.4 g, Sodium 376.8 mg, Sugar 10.1 g
ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
- For the soup:
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until hot. Add the onion, celery, carrot, and cinnamon stick and saute until soft but not brown, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken stock and the coriander, if using, and bring to a boil. Simmer for several minutes. Stir in the squash until smooth, then simmer gently to let the flavors meld, about 10 minutes. Discard the cinnamon stick.
- Puree the soup in a blender until smooth. (The soup can be made ahead to this point, cooled, covered, and refrigerated for several days or frozen for about 1 month. It will thicken as it cools and may need thinning with stock or water when reheating.)
- Return the soup to the pan and reheat gently. Add the half-and-half, if using. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. Keep warm until service.
- To serve:
- Ladle the soup into serving bowls. Garnish evenly, with the cheese and pumpkin seeds, if desired.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Peel the squash with a vegetable peeler. Halve lengthwise, discard the seeds, then cut into 1-inch dice. Place in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. When the butter ceases to foam and has turned a light brown, pull the pan off the heat and immediately add the sage, sugar, vinegar (stand back so as not to get splattered), molasses and toasted spice rub. Mix well and let simmer over medium-low heat for 1 to 2 minutes to meld the flavors.
- Pour the vinegar mixture over the squash and toss well, then transfer to a heavy rimmed baking sheet or baking dish large enough to hold the squash in a single layer. Place in the oven and roast, tossing at least once, until very tender and caramelized, about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Set aside until cool enough to handle but still warm, so the liquids are runny.
- Working in batches, if necessary, transfer the warm squash and all the cooking liquids to a food processor and process until smooth. Use immediately, refrigerate for up to 5 days, or freeze for up to 2 months.
- Serving suggestions: Serve the puree on its own as a side dish for roast chicken, turkey, or pork; stir into polenta just before the end of cooking; use as a stuffing for ravioli; make into a soup; or use to flavor pastina. Or omit the sage, season with ground cinnamon and freshly grated nutmeg to taste, and use as a substitute for canned pumpkin in your favorite pumpkin pie recipe.
- Toast the fennel seeds, coriander seeds, and peppercorns in a small, heavy pan over medium heat. When the fennel turns light brown, work quickly. Turn on the exhaust fan, add the red pepper flakes, and toss, toss, toss, always under the fan. Immediately turn the spice mixture out onto a plate to cool.
- Put mixture into a blender with the chili powder, salt, and cinnamon and blend until the spices are evenly ground. If you have a small spice mill or a coffee grinder dedicated to grinding spices, grind only the fennel, coriander, pepper, and chili flakes. Pour into a bowl and toss with the remaining ingredients. Keep the spice mix in a glass jar in a cool, dry place, or freeze.
CHEF JOHN'S ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
My favorite fall soup of all time, roasted butternut squash soup is cheap, easy, nutrition, and absolutely delicious. If you're feeling like something a bit more substantial, try this topped with a handful of crispy bacon or diced ham.
Provided by Chef John
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Drizzle olive oil into large roasting pan. Add onion, carrots, garlic cloves, and a pinch of salt. Toss until coated in oil. Place squash halves flesh side up on the chopped vegetables. Sprinkle squash with additional salt.
- Roast in preheated oven until squash is tender and easily pierced with the tip of a knife, about 1 hour. Allow vegetables to cool a bit.
- Melt butter over medium heat. Butter will foam, and start to turn a golden brown. Reduce heat to low. When butter turns from golden to a light, nutty brown, remove pan from heat and immediately add sage leaves. Stir to infuse the butter with sage.
- Scoop out squash flesh and place in roasting pan with roasted chopped vegetables. Transfer mixture into large stock pot. Stir in chicken broth, brown sage butter, and maple syrup. Place pot over high heat and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low; slowly simmer to blend flavors, 45 to 60 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Blend until very smooth with an immersion blender, 3 or 4 minutes. Pass mixture through a strainer to remove any remaining fibrous bits.
- If soup seems too thick, add a few tablespoons of water or chicken broth. Stir in apple cider vinegar, a pinch of salt (or to taste), and cayenne pepper. Garnish servings of soup with a dollop of creme fraiche and chopped chives.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 315.3 calories, Carbohydrate 42.1 g, Cholesterol 48.5 mg, Fat 16.5 g, Fiber 6.3 g, Protein 5.2 g, SaturatedFat 8.8 g, Sodium 1838 mg, Sugar 13.5 g
ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND STILTON SOUP
Warming and creamy soup with a glorious orange colour. Subtle flavour of Stilton.
Provided by davidnunn1
Yield Serves 6
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Slice the butternut squash lengthways. Spoon out and discard the seeds. Pour a little olive oil into each seed cavity and use a pastry brush to brush the oil liberally all over the cut surfaces. Place two whole garlic cloves into each cavity. Place the squash halves, cut surface up, on a baking tray, and bake for around 20 mins in an oven preheated to 180 deg C. The squash will start to brown very slightly.
- When the butternut squash has cooked, remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes. Scoop out the softened flesh into a bowl. Squeeze the flesh of the garlic into the bowl as well (e.g. place on a slotted spoon and squeeze with another spoon to push the garlic brought the slotted spoon).
- Finely dice the onion and celery. Heat some olive oil in a pan, and cook the onion and celery until they start to brown. Add the butternut squash and garlic and cook for a couple of minutes before adding the stock. Stir, bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 30mins. Add the turmeric, ginger, bay leaf and rosemary sprigs whilst the soup is simmering. Remove the bay leaf and rosemary sprigs, then blend to a smooth consistency with a hand blender. Add lemon juice and season to taste.
- When ready to eat, gently reheat (if made in advance) and stir in the Stilton. Keep stirring until fully melted and combined.
- Serving suggestions - add some toasted pumpkin seeds, and serve with warm crusty bread.
More about "roasted butternut squash and stilton soup recipes"
ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP - FEELGOODFOODIE
5/5 (24)Total Time 1 hr 5 minsCategory SoupCalories 202 per serving
- Cut the butternut squash into large 2 inch chunks, and transfer them to the prepared baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper and cinnamon, Then drizzle with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and maple syrup. Toss to combine.
- While the butternut squash is roasting, heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a large soup pot. Add the onions and season with salt and pepper. Cook the onions until they soften and become translucent, about 4-5 minutes. Then add the garlic, and stir frequently until fragrant, about 30 seconds to one minute.
ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP - RECIPES, PARTY FOOD ...
Reviews 54Calories 369 per servingCategory Autumn, Dinner
- Preheat oven to 400º. On a large baking sheet, toss butternut squash and potatoes with 2 tablespoons olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Roast until tender, 25 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large pot over medium heat, melt butter and remaining tablespoon olive oil.
ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP - COOKIE AND KATE
4.8/5 Calories 155 per servingCategory Soup
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the butternut squash on the pan and drizzle each half with just enough olive oil to lightly coat the squash on the inside (about 1/2 teaspoon each). Rub the oil over the inside of the squash and sprinkle it with salt and pepper.
- Turn the squash face down and roast until it is tender and completely cooked through, about 40 to 50 minutes (don’t worry if the skin or flesh browns—that’s good for flavor). Set the squash aside until it’s cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large soup pot, warm 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat until shimmering (if your blender has a soup preset, use a medium skillet to minimize dishes.) Add the chopped shallot and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring often, until the shallot has softened and is starting to turn golden on the edges, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute, stirring frequently. Transfer the contents to your stand blender (see notes on how to use an immersion blender instead).
- Use a large spoon to scoop the butternut squash flesh into your blender. Discard the tough skin. Add the maple syrup, nutmeg and a few twists of freshly ground black pepper to the blender. Pour in 3 cups vegetable broth, being careful not to fill the container past the maximum fill line (you can work in batches if necessary, and stir in any remaining broth later).
THE BEST BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP RECIPE! | GIMME SOME OVEN
4.8/5 (387)Total Time 50 minsServings 6-8
- Add vegetable stock, garlic, carrot, apple, butternut squash, sage, onion, salt, pepper, cayenne, cinnamon and nutmeg to a small (4-quart) slow cooker or large (6-quart) slow cooker. Toss to combine.
- Add vegetable stock, garlic*, carrot, apple, butternut squash, sage, onion*, salt, pepper, cayenne, cinnamon and nutmeg a large stockpot. Toss to combine.
BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND STILTON PIE RECIPE | CHRISTMAS ...
5/5 (72)Category DinnerCuisine BritishTotal Time 1 hr 45 mins
PIEDAY FRIDAY RECIPE – BUTTERNUT SQUASH & STILTON SOUP ...
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
BUTTERNUT SQUASH RECIPES | JAMIE OLIVER RECIPES | JAMIE OLIVER
RECIPE - ROASTED SQUASH & PARSNIP SOUP WITH STILTON TOASTS
CREAMY ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP RECIPE - SAVORY NOTHINGS
5/5 (2)Calories 248 per servingCategory Lunch, Main Course
- Roast vegetables: Heat oven to 400º. On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss all vegetables with oil, salt and pepper. Roast in the hot oven until tender, about 25-30 minutes.
- Prepare soup: Once vegetables are done, melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add cumin and thyme and cook for 1-2 minutes, until fragrant. Add roasted vegetables, then add chicken broth. Simmer for 10 minutes on low heat.
- Finish: Blend soup until creamy using an immersion blender. Add cream to taste, then simmer for another few minutes. Adjust seasoning and cream to taste before serving.
ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP - A BEAUTIFUL PLATE
4.6/5 (17)Total Time 1 hr 10 minsCategory Soups And StewsCalories 323 per serving
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit (220 C). Trim the ends of the squash - so that it can stand flat on your cutting board - and carefully slice lengthwise in half. Scoop out and discard the seeds and membranes. Brush the cut sides with extra virgin olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and place cut-side down on a half sheet pan. Roast for 45 to 55 minutes, or until very tender and caramelized. Let cool slightly, then scoop out the flesh (discarding the skin). Set aside for later.
- Meanwhile, combine the butter and olive oil in a large soup pot and place over low heat. Once lightly bubbling, add the leeks and a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the leeks are very soft, about 10-12 minutes. Add a splash of water if necessary so that the leeks do not gain color.
- Add the garlic and sage to the pot and cook for an additional minute, stirring frequently, or until fragrant. Add the reserved roasted butternut squash and chicken broth, and bring to a simmer. Simmer for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the flavors have melded together. Remove from the heat.
- Using an immersion blender (or transfer the soup to a high-powered blender, then transfer back to the pot), blend the soup directly in the pot until very smooth and creamy. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
ROASTED PEAR-BUTTERNUT SOUP WITH CRUMBLED STILTON RECIPE ...
5/5 (60)Calories 228 per serving
- Combine pears, squash, tomatoes, leek, garlic, oil, 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper in a large bowl; toss to coat. Spread evenly on a large rimmed baking sheet. Roast, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are tender, 40 to 55 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Place half the vegetables and 2 cups broth in a blender; puree until smooth. Transfer to a large saucepan. Puree the remaining vegetables and 2 cups broth. Add to the pan and stir in the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Cook the soup over medium-low heat, stirring, until hot, about 10 minutes. Divide among 6 bowls and garnish with cheese and chives (or scallion greens).
ULTRA CREAMY VEGAN BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP - CONNOISSEURUS VEG
5/5 (4)Total Time 1 hr 10 minsCategory SoupCalories 215 per serving
- Place the butternut squash into a large bowl and drizzle it with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Stir or toss the squash with your hands to evenly coat it with the oil.
- Arrange the squash on the baking sheets. Place them into the oven and bake the squash for 30 to 35 minutes, until tender.
- While the squash bakes, begin the soup. Coat the bottom of a large pot with the remaining tablespoon of oil and place it over medium heat.
BEST BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE BUTTERNUT ...
5/5 (2)Servings 6Cuisine American, Comfort FoodTotal Time 55 mins
- Roast for 35–40 minutes on a lower oven rack, tossing things around with a spatula a couple of times during cooking.
ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND LEEK SOUP • RECIPES • SUPER ...
Reviews 8Estimated Reading Time 4 minsCategory Dinner, Soup
- While squash roasts, begin the soup by adding oil to a large heavy saucepan or Dutch oven over medium low heat.
BEST BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE ROASTED ...
Category Autumn, DinnerTotal Time 40 mins
- Preheat oven to 200ºC. On a large baking sheet, toss butternut squash and potatoes with 2 tablespoons olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Roast until tender, 25 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large pot over medium heat, melt butter and remaining tablespoon olive oil.
HOW TO ROAST BUTTERNUT SQUASH - BBC GOOD FOOD
Estimated Reading Time 4 mins
MARY BERRY'S BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP RECIPE - BBC FOOD
Servings 8Category Light Meals & Snacks
30 BEST BUTTERNUT SQUASH RECIPES | IDEAS FOR COOKING ...
BUTTERNUT SQUASH RECIPES SOUP - BROCCOLI AND STILTON SOUP ...
BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP RECIPES | MARTHA STEWART
ACE FIT | ROASTED PEAR-BUTTERNUT SOUP WITH CRUMBLED STILTON
ROAST BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND CHESTNUT SOUP - THE PEOPLE'S FRIEND
12 FABULOUS FALL DINNERS STARRING BUTTERNUT SQUASH ...
ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH & SWEET POTATO SOUP | CANADIAN LIVING
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to cook butternut squash soup with onions?While the butternut squash is roasting, heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil in a large soup pot. Add the onions and season with salt and pepper. Cook the onions until they soften and become translucent, about 4-5 minutes. Then add the garlic, and stir frequently until fragrant, about 30 seconds to one minute.
What to do with Stilton and butternut squash?This Stilton and butternut squash quiche makes for an unforgettable vegetarian Christmas. Especially served with golden sprouts. Read more about sharing. Preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6. Toss the squash in a bowl with the oil, a pinch of salt and black pepper.
Is butternut squash soup low carb?This roasted butternut squash soup recipe is vegan, low carb and around 200 calories a serving. It takes just 10 minutes prep with a handful of ingredients and is so flavorful and warming. This is the best fall soup and made with no added refined sugar.
How to cook butternut squash in the oven?Place the squash halves, cut surface up, on a baking tray, and bake for around 20 mins in an oven preheated to 180 deg C. The squash will start to brown very slightly. STEP 2 When the butternut squash has cooked, remove from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes.