APPLE SQUASH SOUP
I add a little ginger and sage to this creamy butternut squash apple soup. My family loves it when autumn rolls around. -Crystal Ralph-Haughn, Bartlesville, Oklahoma
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 5 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 10
- In a large saucepan, heat butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and sage; cook and stir 2-4 minutes or until tender. Add broth, apples and water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 12 minutes., Add squash, ginger and salt; return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10 minutes to allow flavors to blend. Remove from heat; cool slightly., Process in batches in a blender until smooth; return to pan. Add milk; heat through, stirring occasionally (do not allow to boil). Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally; add broth if necessary.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 119 calories, Fat 5g fat (3g saturated fat), Cholesterol 15mg cholesterol, Sodium 641mg sodium, Carbohydrate 18g carbohydrate (8g sugars, Fiber 3g fiber), Protein 3g protein. Diabetic Exchanges
WINTER SQUASH SOUP
Provided by Ina Garten
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Heat the butter and oil in a heavy - bottomed stockpot, add the onions, and cook over medium - low heat for 10 minutes, or until translucent. Add the pumpkin puree, butternut squash, chicken stock, salt, and pepper. Cover and simmer over medium - low heat for about 20 minutes, until the butternut squash is very tender. Process the mixture through the medium blade of a food mill. Return to the pot, add the half - and - half, and heat slowly. If the soup needs more flavor, add another teaspoon of salt. Serve hot with garnishes, if desired.
- Cook's Note: To serve with croutons, remove the crusts from 2 slices of white bread, cut them in 1/2-inch cubes, and saute them in 1 tablespoon of butter until browned. Season with salt and pepper.
ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH, GARLIC, AND APPLE SOUP
Butternut squash, sweet potato, carrot, and garlic roasted in large pieces and then added to onion, celery, apple, and vegetable broth. Immersion blender does the trick for thickening without adding fat. Use curry powder in place of cayenne if you prefer more savory flavors than spicy. Apple juice can also be used in place of cider, and chicken broth in place of vegetable.
Provided by Nancy A.
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Arrange butternut squash halves, carrot chunks, sweet potato chunks, and whole garlic head onto the prepared baking sheet. Drizzle 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil over the vegetables; season with rosemary, salt, and black pepper.
- Roast in preheated oven for 20 minutes, turn the carrot and sweet potato chunks, and continue roasting until everything is tender, 20 to 30 minutes more. Set aside to cool.
- Use a spoon to remove flesh of squash from skin. Cut carrot and sweet potato into small pieces. Squeeze roasted garlic from skin.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large pot over medium heat; add celery and onion. Season the celery mixture with nutmeg and cayenne pepper; saute until the celery and onion are tender, about 8 minutes. Add apple and continue to cook and stir until apples begin to get hot, about 2 minutes more.
- Pour vegetable broth and apple cider into the pot; bring just to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook at a simmer for 30 minutes.
- Stir squash, carrot, sweet potato, and garlic to the pot. Blend soup with an immersion blender until smooth.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 219.8 calories, Carbohydrate 44.5 g, Fat 4.9 g, Fiber 8.7 g, Protein 3.8 g, SaturatedFat 0.7 g, Sodium 277.7 mg, Sugar 15.8 g
ROASTED WINTER SQUASH AND APPLE SOUP
This Roasted Winter Squash and Apple Soup is the an amazing fall dish, with both savory and sweet tastes mixing together for the perfect flavor profile. This recipe has been adapted from Dr. Andrew Weil's book "The Healthy Kitchen" (Knopf, 2005).
Provided by Martha Stewart
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large roasting pan, toss squash, onions, garlic, and apples with oil to coat. Season well with salt and chile powder. Roast, stirring every 10 minutes, until vegetables are fork-tender and lightly browned, about 40 minutes.
- Transfer half the vegetables and 2 cups stock to a food processor; puree until smooth. Repeat with remaining vegetables and broth. Return pureed mixture to pot, thinning soup with stock, if necessary. Season with salt and chile powder; bring to a simmer over medium-low heat. Serve immediately, garnished with Cilantro Walnut Pesto, if desired.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 205 g, Fat 7 g, Fiber 5 g, Protein 3 g
ROASTED WINTER SQUASH SOUP
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place squash on a baking sheet, cut side down. Bake until very tender, about 1 hour. Let cool slightly.
- While squash is roasting, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion, sage and allspice. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until onions are tender, about 10 minutes. Uncover. Stir in apple and broth. Bring to a simmer and cook until apple is tender, about 15 minutes.
- Scoop out the squash pulp and add it to the pan. Simmer for 5 minutes. Let soup cool slightly. Working in 2 batches, puree the soup in a blender, holding the lid down firmly with a kitchen towel to prevent the steam from pushing it off. Strain through a fine-mesh sieve.
- When ready to serve, heat soup over medium heat until it just reaches a simmer. Add lemon juice, salt and pepper. Ladle into hot soup bowls and garnish with walnuts.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 150, UnsaturatedFat 4 grams, Carbohydrate 19 grams, Fat 7 grams, Fiber 3 grams, Protein 5 grams, SaturatedFat 3 grams, Sodium 641 milligrams, Sugar 7 grams, TransFat 0 grams
ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
- For the soup:
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat until hot. Add the onion, celery, carrot, and cinnamon stick and saute until soft but not brown, about 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken stock and the coriander, if using, and bring to a boil. Simmer for several minutes. Stir in the squash until smooth, then simmer gently to let the flavors meld, about 10 minutes. Discard the cinnamon stick.
- Puree the soup in a blender until smooth. (The soup can be made ahead to this point, cooled, covered, and refrigerated for several days or frozen for about 1 month. It will thicken as it cools and may need thinning with stock or water when reheating.)
- Return the soup to the pan and reheat gently. Add the half-and-half, if using. Adjust the seasoning with salt and pepper. Keep warm until service.
- To serve:
- Ladle the soup into serving bowls. Garnish evenly, with the cheese and pumpkin seeds, if desired.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Peel the squash with a vegetable peeler. Halve lengthwise, discard the seeds, then cut into 1-inch dice. Place in a large bowl and season with salt and pepper.
- Heat the butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. When the butter ceases to foam and has turned a light brown, pull the pan off the heat and immediately add the sage, sugar, vinegar (stand back so as not to get splattered), molasses and toasted spice rub. Mix well and let simmer over medium-low heat for 1 to 2 minutes to meld the flavors.
- Pour the vinegar mixture over the squash and toss well, then transfer to a heavy rimmed baking sheet or baking dish large enough to hold the squash in a single layer. Place in the oven and roast, tossing at least once, until very tender and caramelized, about 45 minutes to 1 hour. Set aside until cool enough to handle but still warm, so the liquids are runny.
- Working in batches, if necessary, transfer the warm squash and all the cooking liquids to a food processor and process until smooth. Use immediately, refrigerate for up to 5 days, or freeze for up to 2 months.
- Serving suggestions: Serve the puree on its own as a side dish for roast chicken, turkey, or pork; stir into polenta just before the end of cooking; use as a stuffing for ravioli; make into a soup; or use to flavor pastina. Or omit the sage, season with ground cinnamon and freshly grated nutmeg to taste, and use as a substitute for canned pumpkin in your favorite pumpkin pie recipe.
- Toast the fennel seeds, coriander seeds, and peppercorns in a small, heavy pan over medium heat. When the fennel turns light brown, work quickly. Turn on the exhaust fan, add the red pepper flakes, and toss, toss, toss, always under the fan. Immediately turn the spice mixture out onto a plate to cool.
- Put mixture into a blender with the chili powder, salt, and cinnamon and blend until the spices are evenly ground. If you have a small spice mill or a coffee grinder dedicated to grinding spices, grind only the fennel, coriander, pepper, and chili flakes. Pour into a bowl and toss with the remaining ingredients. Keep the spice mix in a glass jar in a cool, dry place, or freeze.
People also searched
More about "roasted winter squash and apple soup recipes"
ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH APPLE SOUP « CLEAN & DELICIOUS
Estimated Reading Time 6 mins
- Divide squash, onions and apples amongst two rimmed baking sheets. Drizzle one tablespoon of olive oil over each tray of fruit and veggies and seasons with salt and pepper. Gently toss all the ingredients together until they all have a light coating of olive oil and seasonings.
- Once the ingredients cool to room temperature, put them in the blender (one tray at a time) and add two cups of chicken broth and tsp. curry powder. Blend for 30-60 seconds or until the soup is rich and creamy.
ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND APPLE SOUP WITH THYME, PECANS ...
Estimated Reading Time 5 mins
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line two large baking sheets and one small baking sheet with aluminum foil. Spread chopped butternut squash in a single, even layer on the two large baking trays. Spread chopped apple in a single layer on the small baking sheet. Drizzle squash and apples with 2-3 tablespoons olive oil. Season generously with Kosher salt and toss to coat. Roast squash in oven for 20-30 minutes, until tender. Roast apples for only 15-20 minutes, until tender.
- In a large stockpot, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Add red onion and shallot, season with Kosher salt, and cook until softened, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes. Add roasted squash, roasted apple, thyme, and stock. Season with Kosher salt. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20-30 minutes.
- Using an immersion blender, blend soup until very smooth. Alternatively, place soup in a blender (in batches if necessary), and blend until smooth (just be sure to securely hold top on blender with hot soup in there!).
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine creme fraiche, apple cider vinegar, and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Season with Kosher salt.
ROASTED WINTER SQUASH SOUP RECIPE - COUNTRY LIVING
Servings 20Total Time 1 hr 10 minsEstimated Reading Time 1 min
- Preheat oven to 400°F. In a large bowl, toss butternut squash, onions, garlic, curry powder, salt, and pepper with vegetable oil to coat.
BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND APPLES RECIPE - ROAST 'EM UP! - PIP ...
Estimated Reading Time 5 mins
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large, rimmed baking sheet with foil and coat with cooking spray. Add the squash and apples in a single layer. Drizzle the butter over the top and toss to coat. Sprinkle with the cinnamon.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 25 minutes, stirring once or twice throughout. Sprinkle with extra cinnamon, if desired, and serve immediately!
ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP WITH APPLE • CIAOFLORENTINA
Estimated Reading Time 4 mins
- Preheat your oven to 400 F. In a large baking dish toss the apples, butternut squash, carrot slices, red pepper flakes, bay leaf, sea salt, pepper and thyme with 1 tbs of melted butter or olive oil. Roast uncovered for 45 minutes or until tender.
- Heat up the 3 tablespoons of butter or olive oil over medium-low heat in a cast iron pot. Saute the diced onions with a pinch of sea salt until translucent. Add the wine and let it reduce by half.
- Add the roasted squash and apples to the pot together with the vegetable stock. Bring to a simmer and allow to cook together for 5 minutes. Discard the bay leaf and using a hand held blender puree the soup until smooth. Add the heavy cream or coconut cream and cook an additional 3 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings and serve hot with a drizzle of cream, snipped chives and a pinch of freshly grated nutmeg.
ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP - COOKIE AND KATE
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Place the butternut squash on the pan and drizzle each half with just enough olive oil to lightly coat the squash on the inside (about 1/2 teaspoon each). Rub the oil over the inside of the squash and sprinkle it with salt and pepper.
- Turn the squash face down and roast until it is tender and completely cooked through, about 40 to 50 minutes (don’t worry if the skin or flesh browns—that’s good for flavor). Set the squash aside until it’s cool enough to handle, about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large soup pot, warm 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat until shimmering (if your blender has a soup preset, use a medium skillet to minimize dishes.) Add the chopped shallot and 1 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring often, until the shallot has softened and is starting to turn golden on the edges, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute, stirring frequently. Transfer the contents to your stand blender (see notes on how to use an immersion blender instead).
- Use a large spoon to scoop the butternut squash flesh into your blender. Discard the tough skin. Add the maple syrup, nutmeg and a few twists of freshly ground black pepper to the blender. Pour in 3 cups vegetable broth, being careful not to fill the container past the maximum fill line (you can work in batches if necessary, and stir in any remaining broth later).
ROASTED ACORN SQUASH AND APPLE SOUP - MAKING THYME FOR HEALTH
Estimated Reading Time 7 mins
- Preheat the oven to 400°F then line a baking sheet with parchment paper (or you can also use a shallow baking dish).
- Slice the top stem off of the acorn squash then cut it in half, lengthwise. Use a spoon to scrape out the seeds and softer pieces then rub the outer edges of the flesh with 1 teaspoon of oil. Place each half facing down onto the baking sheet and bake in the oven for about 45 minutes, or until tender. It should be pliable when lightly squeezed with an oven mitt. Turn off the oven and set it aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, warm the two tablespoons of olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion, celery and carrot and cook for 5 minutes. Next add the garlic, ginger, apples and spices. Continue to cook for 5-10 minutes, just until apples are slightly tender.
- Once the squash is cool enough to handle (or can be carefully handled using an oven mitt), use a spoon to scoop the cooked flesh into the pot. Pour in the vegetable broth then bring to a low boil and cook for 5-7 minutes, or until apples are soft.
GINGER ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH APPLE SOUP
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
- Preheat oven to 400F. Lay butternut squash, apples, and onion in a single layer on a baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with fresh minced sage. Roast butternut squash and apples at 400F 25-30 minutes or until apples and squash are very tender.
- Place apples and squash in a high speed blender. Pour warmed chicken stock over top and add ginger and nutmeg. Blend on high speed until completely smooth.
- Transfer soup to a medium saucepot and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and add half and half cream and salt and pepper to taste. Cover soup and let simmer 15-20 minutes to allow the flavors to meld.
DR. WEIL’S ROASTED WINTER SQUASH AND APPLE SOUP - THE DR ...
- Preheat oven to 400°F. In a large roasting pan, toss the squash, onions, garlic and apples with the oil to coat.
- Season well with the salt and chili.Roast, stirring every 10 minutes, until the vegetables are fork tender and lightly browned, about 40 minutes.Put half of the vegetables and 2 cups of the broth in a food processor and purée until smooth.
ROASTED PUMPKIN AND WINTER SQUASH SOUP RECIPE | MYRECIPES
- Combine first three ingredients in a large bowl; toss well. Place pumpkin mixture on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add onion; sauté 8 minutes or until tender. Add garlic; sauté 1 minute. Add pumpkin mixture, 4 cups water, and remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Place half of pumpkin mixture in a blender. Remove center piece of blender lid (to allow steam to escape); secure blender lid on blender. Place a clean towel over opening in blender lid (to avoid splatters). Blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl. Repeat procedure with the remaining pumpkin mixture.
RECIPE: WINTER SQUASH AND APPLE SOUP | WHOLE FOODS MARKET
See details »
HONEY ROASTED APPLE AND BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP - SLICE OF ...
Estimated Reading Time 9 mins See details »
ROASTED WINTER SQUASH & APPLE SOUP | RECIPES | ANDREW WEIL ...
Estimated Reading Time 1 min See details »
RECIPE: ROASTED APPLE AND WINTER SQUASH SOUP | KITCHN
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins See details »
WINTER SQUASH AND APPLE SOUP RECIPES WITH INGREDIENTS ...
See details »
ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH APPLE SOUP « CLEAN & DELICIOUS ...
See details »
ROASTED WINTER SQUASH AND APPLE SOUP RECIPES
See details »
BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND ROASTED APPLE SOUP ADAPTED FROM SAM ...
See details »
HONEYNUT SQUASH AND APPLE SOUP WITH FRESH GINGER RECIPE ...
See details »
ROASTED WINTER SQUASH AND APPLE SOUP | SAVORY APPLE ...
See details »
DR WEILS ROASTED WINTER SQUASH AND APPLE SOUP RECIPES
See details »
ROASTED WINTER ANNIHILATE SOUP RECIPE
See details »
You'll also love