SOUTHERN LIVING'S COUNTRY FRIED STEAK
- sprinkle salt and pepper evenly over steaks.
- Set aside.
- combinecracker crumbs, 1 cup flour, baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and red pepper.
- whisk together 3/4 cup milk and eggs.
- Dredge steaks in cracker crumb mixture; dip in milk mixture, and dredge in cracker mixture again.
- POUR oil into a 12-inch skillet;heat to 360 degrees.
- Do not use a nonstick skillet.
- I like to use a cast iron skillet for this.
- Fry steaks 10 minutes.
- Turn and fry 4 to 5 more minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove to a wire rack on a jellyroll pan.
- Keep steaks warm in a 225 degree oven.
- Carefully drain hot oil, reserving cooked bits and 1 tablespoon drippings in skillet.
- whisk together remaining 1/4 cup flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper, and 4 cups milk.
- Pour mixture into reserved drippings in skillet; cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, 10 to 12 minutes, or until thickened.
- Serve gravy with steaks and mashed potatoes.
- Sprinkle with parsley, if desired.
COUNTRY FRIED STEAK
- Whisk together the egg and milk in a shallow bowl; set aside.
- Whisk together the flour, crushed saltines, seasoned salt, onion powder, garlic powder, and steak seasoning. Dip the steaks in the egg mixture, then press each steak in the flour mixture. Pat the flour mixture into the steaks to coat them completely.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, and fry the steaks until they are golden brown, firm, hot in the center, and just turning from pink to grey, about 4 minutes per side. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read 160 degrees F (70 degrees C).
Nutrition Facts : Calories 467.9 calories, Carbohydrate 50.9 g, Cholesterol 75.6 mg, Fat 18.6 g, Fiber 2.1 g, Protein 22.7 g, SaturatedFat 4.4 g, Sodium 1109.2 mg, Sugar 1.6 g
COUNTRY FRIED STEAK
I know there are several recipes on here for country fried steak. I didn't see any here the way I make mine, so I decided to post it. Please don't let the long list of instructions bother you, it's easier than it looks. If you try it I hope you enjoy it! posted on January 27th 2006.
Provided by Chef shapeweaver
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Mix together egg and milk in a medium sized shallow bowl; set aside.
- Preheat oil in a medium sized skillet over medium heat.
- While oil is heating, place flour on a sheet of aluminum foil or a flat plate.
- Take a piece of steak covering each side with flour.
- Press flour into meat with palm of your hand.
- Place flour covered meat one piece at a time in egg, making sure meat is covered with egg mixture.
- Repeat step 5.
- Repeat steps 5, 6, and 7 with remaining steak.
- Place each piece of meat in skillet, sprinkle each piece with 1/4 teaspoon of each seasoning salt and pepper (can add more seasoning salt and pepper if desired).
- Lightly brown each side of steak for 5 to 6 minutes or until desired brownness is reached.
- Serve with your favorite gravy and your favorite sides.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 363.1, Fat 29.9, SaturatedFat 3.1, Cholesterol 57.1, Sodium 330.3, Carbohydrate 19.2, Fiber 0.8, Sugar 0.1, Protein 5
SOUTHERN-FRIED BAKED STEAK
When our family gets together, they often ask me to prepare this main course. They love its down-home flavor.-Howard Haug, Hewitt, Texas
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 6 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Pound steak to tenderize; cut into serving-size pieces. Season with salt and pepper. Dust with flour. Combine milk and egg; dip meat into egg mixture and back into flour. , In a large skillet, brown meat on both sides in oil. Place onion in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Place meat over onion. Pour broth over all. Cover tightly and bake at 350° for 1-1/2 hours. Uncover; bake 20 minutes longer.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 467 calories, Fat 21g fat (3g saturated fat), Cholesterol 117mg cholesterol, Sodium 606mg sodium, Carbohydrate 27g carbohydrate (2g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 39g protein.
COUNTRY FRIED STEAK AND GRAVY RECIPE BY TASTY
This hearty and indulgent country-fried steak and gravy recipe will have your family and friends asking for seconds. To ensure the steaks cook perfectly, pound them out to ¼-inch thick before dredging and frying. After frying, pour out the oil and use the same pan to make the gravy. Don't throw away the brown bits at the bottom, they are full of flavor!
Provided by Katie Aubin
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Preheat the oven to 225˚F (110˚C).
- Set a steak in the center of a cutting board and cover with a piece of plastic wrap. Using a meat mallet, pound the steak evenly to ¼-inch (½ cm) thick. Season with salt and pepper on both sides. Repeat with the remaining meat.
- In a wide, shallow dish, whisk together the eggs and 1 cup (240 ml) of milk. In a separate shallow dish, mix together the 1 ½ cups (190 g) of flour, pepper, salt, garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika.
- Dredge the steaks in the flour mixture, then dip in the egg mixture, letting any excess egg drip off. Coat again in the flour mixture. Set aside for 10-15 minutes, until the coating has dried out a bit.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a 10-inch (25.5 cm) pan over medium-high heat until it reaches 375˚F (190˚C).
- Fry the steaks, 2 at a time, for 3 minutes, until golden brown and crispy. Flip and cook on the other side for 3 minutes more, until golden brown and cooked through when the internal temperature reaches 155˚-165˚F (170˚-175˚C). Transfer the steaks to a paper towel-lined plate or baking sheet and immediately season with salt. Once all of the steaks are done frying, transfer to the oven while you prepare the gravy.
- Pour the hot oil into a heatproof bowl and let cool before discarding. 9. Leave any browned bits in the pan.
- In the same pan, without wiping it out, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the remaining 3 tablespoons of flour, whisking to incorporate. Cook for 2-3 minutes, until the roux is a light brown color. Add the heavy cream and remaining milk. Bring to a simmer and cook, whisking constantly, until thickened, 5-7 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Ladle the gravy over the steaks and serve with your favorite side dishes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 1067 calories, Carbohydrate 35 grams, Fat 96 grams, Fiber 1 gram, Protein 21 grams, Sugar 7 grams
SOUTHERN LIVING MAGAZINE'S CHICKEN-FRIED STEAK
A Southern tradition you can make in 40 minutes.
Provided by Allrecipes Member
Number Of Ingredients 13
- SPRINKLE salt and pepper evenly over steaks. Set aside.
- COMBINE cracker crumbs, 1 cup flour, baking powder, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, and red pepper.
- WHISK together 3/4 cup milk and eggs. Dredge steaks in cracker crumb mixture; dip in milk mixture, and dredge in cracker mixture again.
- POUR oil into a 12-inch skillet; heat to 360 degrees. (Do not use a nonstick skillet.) Fry steaks 10 minutes. Turn and fry 4 to 5 more minutes or until golden brown. Remove to a wire rack on a jellyroll pan. Keep steaks warm in a 225 degree oven. Carefully drain hot oil, reserving cooked bits and 1 tablespoon drippings in skillet.
- WHISK together remaining 1/4 cup flour, 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper, and 4 cups milk. Pour mixture into reserved drippings in skillet; cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, 10 to 12 minutes, or until thickened. Serve gravy with steaks and mashed potatoes. Sprinkle with parsley, if desired.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 2323 calories, Carbohydrate 64.6 g, Cholesterol 186.9 mg, Fat 211.8 g, Fiber 2.2 g, Protein 44.4 g, SaturatedFat 41.2 g, Sodium 1658.2 mg, Sugar 14 g
More about "southern livings country fried steak recipes"
CHICKEN-FRIED STEAK RECIPE - SOUTHERN LIVING
1/5 (5)Category Steak
- Combine ¼ cup of the flour and next 2 ingredients; sprinkle both sides of steaks with flour mixture. Combine the egg and 2 tablespoons of the milk in a shallow dish. Dip the steaks in egg mixture; dredge in cracker crumbs.
- Cook the steaks in hot oil in a large heavy skillet over medium 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer, turning occasionally, 15 minutes or until tender. Remove the steaks, and drain on paper towels, reserving 3 tablespoons drippings in the skillet, Keep the steaks warm.
- Whisk remaining 3 tablespoons into the hot dripping until smooth. Cook 1 minute, whisking constantly. Gradually add the broth and remaining ½ cup milk; cook over medium, whisking constantly, 3 minutes or until thickened and bubbly. Stir in the Worcestershire sauce and hot sauce; add salt and pepper to taste. Serve gravy with steaks.
CLASSIC COUNTRY-FRIED STEAK RECIPE | SOUTHERN LIVING
3/5 (1)Category Dinner
20+ SOUTHERN FRIED RECIPES THAT TASTE LIKE HOME
SOUTHERN CHICKEN FRIED STEAK (WITH VIDEO) - HOW TO FEED A LOON
ENJOY CHICKEN-FRIED STEAK FROM ‘SOUTHERN LIVING’S ALL-TIME FAVORITES’
CHICKEN FRIED STEAK RECIPE SOUTHERN LIVING - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT ...
SOUTHERN STYLE CHICKEN FRIED STEAK - COPYKAT RECIPES
THE BEST SOUTHERN STYLE CHICKEN FRIED STEAK RECIPE!
CUBE STEAK - QUICK AND EASY SOUTHERN COMFORT DINNER
COUNTRY STYLE STEAK - TASTE OF SOUTHERN
10 BEST SOUTHERN STEAK RECIPES | YUMMLY
COUNTRY-FRIED STEAK | SOUTHERN LIVING - YOUTUBE
SOUTHERN COMFORT FOOD RECIPES - THE BEST BLOG RECIPES
SOUTHERN LIVING'S COUNTRY FRIED STEAK RECIPE - FOOD.COM
CAJUN-STYLE COUNTRY-FRIED STEAK RECIPE | MYRECIPES
SOUTHERN LIVING COUNTRY FRIED STEAK - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING …
COUNTRY FRIED STEAK RECIPE | MYRECIPES
SOUTHERN LIVING CHICKEN FRIED STEAK - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING …
PIONEER WOMAN COUNTRY FRIED STEAK - FOOD FANATIC
COUNTRY FRIED STEAK AND GRAVY - JULIAS SIMPLY SOUTHERN
SOUTHERN LIVING'S COUNTRY FRIED STEAK RECIPE | CHAMPSDIET.COM
COUNTRY FRIED STEAK AND GRAVY - KITCHEN DREAMING
SOUTHERN LIVING - COUNTRY-FRIED STEAK - FACEBOOK.COM
SOUTHERN CHICKEN FRIED STEAK - SOUTHERN EATS & GOODIES
COUNTRY FRIED STEAK RECIPE - OLD FASHIONED FRIED STEAK
COUNTRY FRIED STEAK - MUST LOVE GARLIC
SOUTHERN COUNTRY FRIED STEAK - COOKING - ADD A PINCH
SOUTHERN LIVING'S COUNTRY FRIED STEAK RECIPE - FOOD.COM
SOUTHERN LIVING CHICKEN FRIED STEAK RECIPE
SOUTHERN STYLE CUBE STEAKS AND GRAVY - DEEP SOUTH DISH
SOUTHERN LIVING’S BEST FRIED CHICKEN RECIPE
COUNTRY FRIED STEAK RECIPE - COOP CAN COOK
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What is the recipe for chicken fried steak?Chicken Fried Steak Ingredients 1 1 1/2 cups buttermilk 2 2 pounds beef cube steaks (4 1/2 pound cube steaks) 3 1 teaspoon baking soda 4 2 cups all-purpose flour 5 1 egg 6 3/4 teaspoon salt 7 1 tablespoon hot pepper sauce 8 2 teaspoons baking powder 9 1 teaspoon black pepper 10 3 cups peanut oil (for frying) More ...
What is country fried steak?Country-fried steak, sometimes called smothered steak, is simply dredged through the flour and fried on both sides. At this point, many cooks remove the steaks from the pan, prepare a brown gravy from the pan drippings, put the steaks back in with the gravy, cover the pan and let it all simmer.
How to fry steak in a peanut oil Skillet?Heat the peanut oil in a deep cast-iron skillet to 325 degrees F. Dredge each steak first in the flour, then in the batter, and again in the flour. Be sure to pay flour mixture onto the steaks to make sure it is well covered. Fry the steaks until evenly golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Place fried steaks on a plate with paper towels to drain.
How to bake steak in a pan with buttermilk?Instructions Preheat the oven to 200 degrees F. Pound the steaks to about 1/4-inch thickness. Place 2 cups of flour in a pie pan. In a separate pie pan stir together the baking powder, baking soda, pepper, and salt. Than stir in the buttermilk, egg, and hot sauce to the baking powder mixture.