Experience the traditional Russian dish called, "Shashlik" Throughout the Middle East, South Russia, and Siberia this meal has been a favorite for centuries. Most of the western world knows this dish by its' Middle Eastern version called, "Shish Kabob." But on the Crimean peninsula and the steps of south Russia, Shashlik is a unique variant of the Shish Kabob dish most Americans know. It's a sweet/tart version of shish-kebab.
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Trim away all fat from meat. Cut into 2 inch chunks. Place in small bowl together with onion, garlic, shallot, parsley, cayenne pepper and pomegranate juice. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove meat from marinade and pat dry. Skewer the meat, using four substantial skewers. Brush with oil. Broil under very high heat, turning often until done. Some prefer it slightly pink (12 minutes). Well done will take about 20 minutes. Remove from skewers and serve on a heated plate with Kasha. VARIATIONS: Include 2 green peppers cut into 12 chunks, 4 tomatoes cut into quarters, and 4 small, white onions, peeled and cut in half. Skewer alternate chunks of vegetable and meat chunks. Proceed according to recipe.
Nutrition Facts :
RUSSIAN SHASHLIK RECIPE (Шашлык)
- In a large bowl, combine the lamb, sliced onions, bay leaves, salt, oil and water. Using your hands, mix them all together set aside in the fridge to marinate overnight. If in a hurry then for minimum 4 hours.
- Thread the meat pieces onto metal skewers, about 6 per skewer, with any fat positioned towards the outside of the skewer.
- Prepare the mangal. Place charcoals in the mangal, and light and allow to burn for about 30 minutes, or until the charcoal is all white. Your mangal is ready.
- Place the skewers on the mangal and cook until the meat is cooked. The length of time is determined by the heat and height from the charcoal. Don't burn your meat! Keep turning the shashlik as it cooks, so it doesn't burn. I like to add hot paprika spice directly on the skewer for a spicy kick.
TENDER BEEF KABOBS (SHASHLIK)
- Combine all of your marinade ingredients in a large glass or plastic bowl (do not use aluminum) and stir to combine.
- Slice meat and transfer it into the marinade bowl, stirring well to coat. Marinate beef in the refrigerator 6 hours, or overnight (the longer the better), stirring 3 times while marinating to make sure meat is evenly marinated. Sometimes after long periods of refrigeration, the oil in the marinade can firm up a bit; it will liquify again if you let the marinated meat sit at room temp 30 minutes before skewering.
- Soak bamboo or wooden skewers at last 30 min before skewering. After the meat is done marinating, slice veggies and skewer them with meat onto Bamboo skewers. Brush/ pour remaining marinade over skewers.
- Grill steak kabobs over med/high heat for about 8-10 minutes or until you've reached the desired doneness, rotating every 2-3 minutes for even grilling. Remove kebobs from grill and let them rest at least 5 minutes before eating. If you cut into them right away, they will juice out and end up dry.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 535.6, Fat 46.7, SaturatedFat 6.9, Sodium 478.4, Carbohydrate 37, Fiber 11.9, Sugar 2.7, Protein 4
RUSSIAN/GEORGIAN PORK SHASHLYK
I'd like to say this is a Russian recipe, but it's not really true. Shashlyk, a type of kebabs, came to Russia from the Caucasus, primarily from Georgia. But it's immensely popular all over Russia and is considered by my countrymen to be a quintessential "man's food", meaning, it should be prepared by men, who otherwise cook much less frequently than women do in Russia. As the hero of the Oscar-winning 1980 movie Moscow Does Not Believe In Tears says: "Shashlyk does not take women's hands". This is primarily because shaslyk in Russia is traditionally cooked in "mangals" - wood burning grills - during camps, open air parties, etc., where men dominate all elements of the show, from chopping the wood to cooking the meat. Every household in Russia will have their own recipe for shashlyk. Mine is developed via years of experimentation and is shown to produce good results even if you are not a dominating Russian male :) Shaslyk can be made of any meat, as well as from chicken and fish, but my favorite is pork shashlyk. If prepared correctly, it will produce the most succulent, juicy and tender pieces of meat. It MUST be cooked on a grill and ideally a wood or coal-burning version, as the smoky flavor is a quintessential element of shashlyk's taste. As for the meat, my favorite is fatty country ribs, but center loin roast or tenderloin will work too.
Provided by Andrei_Utkin
Yield 6-8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Put all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix thoroughly using your hands. The marinade should cover most of the meat. If it doesn't, add more vinegar and pomegranate juice in a 50/50% proportion.
- Cover and refrigerate for 3-4 hours.
- Thread pieces of meat onto wooden or metal skewers leaving at least 1/2 inch between the pieces. You can also alternate meat with onion rings, cherry tomatoes or other vegetables if you like.
- Grill for 15-20 minutes over hot ashes or charcoal (a gas grill will also produce acceptable results), turning skewers every five minutes and brushing the top with the marinade after each turn. Test for readiness by cutting through the meat - it must be medium-well to well done, very juicy and not overcooked.
- Serve with sliced tomatoes, peppers, raw onion rings, radishes and whole springs of parsley and cilantro.
- You will end up with a lot of leftover sliced onions from the marinade. It's delicious fried on a pan or grilled and may be served as a side for your shashlyk.
RUSSIAN SHASHLIK WITH RHUBARB SAUCE
These Russian kebabs are made with succulent lamb and a vibrant rhubarb sauce. They make an ideal sharing platter for a spring dinner with friends
Provided by Diana Henry
Categories Dinner, Main course, Supper
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Grate the onion and crush the garlic cloves, then put in a bowl with all the shashlik ingredients except the lamb and half the olive oil, and mix together. Put the lamb in the mixture, turning it with your hands, then cover with cling film and put in the fridge to marinate for a few hours or overnight.
- For the rhubarb sauce, put the vinegar and sugar in a pan and bring to the boil, stirring a little to help the sugar dissolve. Add the cinnamon and ginger, and simmer for 10 mins. Add the onion and continue to simmer, uncovered, for 10 mins. Add the rhubarb and simmer gently for about 4 mins more or until the rhubarb is only just tender. Don't overcook the fruit as you want the pieces to remain intact. Add the mint and leave to cool. The mixture will thicken a little more.
- Lift the lamb out of the marinade, shaking off the excess. Thread the meat onto skewers. Brush a griddle pan with some of the remaining oil and cook the skewers, seasoning them well and turning for 5-7 mins until brown all over - you may have to do this in batches. Serve with the rhubarb sauce, flatbreads and yogurt.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 459 calories, Fat 20 grams fat, SaturatedFat 6 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 40 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 39 grams sugar, Fiber 2 grams fiber, Protein 27 grams protein, Sodium 0.2 milligram of sodium
GRANDPA NICK'S GEORGIA SHASHLIK
This shashlik recipe was brought over from what is now the Republic of Georgia in the early 1900s. Traditionally, the men gathered to "put down" the lamb, enjoying friendship along with the leftover wine. They used family heirloom skewers (designated by their unique twisted handles) to grill the meat over wood coals. This amazing, yet simple recipe, was served at my wedding. It is rich in flavor, memories, and traditions. I hope you enjoy and start your own traditions.
Provided by Kristine
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Cut lemon in half and juice. Cut 2 rinds into chunks.
- Place lemon juice and rinds into a large glass or ceramic bowl with red wine, onion, garlic, salt, and pepper; mix well. Add lamb and toss to evenly coat. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 8 hours or up to 18 hours.
- Remove lamb from the marinade and shake off excess. Discard the remaining marinade. Thread lamb on to skewers.
- Preheat an outdoor grill for medium heat and lightly oil the grate.
- Cook skewers, turning occasionally, on the preheated grill until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of the meat reads at least 130 degrees F (60 degrees C) for medium, about 15 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 186.4 calories, Carbohydrate 3.7 g, Cholesterol 61.8 mg, Fat 6.5 g, Fiber 0.7 g, Protein 19.3 g, SaturatedFat 2.3 g, Sodium 286.5 mg, Sugar 0.6 g
More about "russian shashlik recipes"
SHASHLIK: THE CLASSIC SOVIET COOKOUT MEAL - RUSSIA BEYOND
Estimated Reading Time 4 mins
3 CLASSIC RUSSIAN SHASHLIK RECIPES - DELI-BERLIN
Cuisine RussischCategory BBQ & Grillen, Fleisch & GeflügelServings 4Total Time 3 hrs 20 mins
SHASHLIK CAUCASIAN - FROM THE RUSSIAN TEA ROOM - BIGOVEN
RUSSIAN STYLE SHISH KEBAB RECIPE! (SHASHLIK) - YOUTUBE
MTSVADI (THE BEST GEORGIAN SHASHLIK) - LAVENDER & MACARONS
SHASHLIK (RUSSIAN SHISH KEBABS) - IN.PINTEREST.COM
RUSSIAN STYLE SHISH KEBAB RECIPE! (SHASHLIK) | A WORLD OF FOOD
TENDER BEEF KEBABS (SHASHLIK) RECIPE
RUSSIAN BEEF SHASHLIK RECIPE – SLAVIC RECIPES
7 MOST DELICIOUS RUSSIAN WAYS TO MARINADE YOUR BBQ …
RUSSIAN SHASHLIK RECIPE - MYRUSSIANFOODS
PORK SKEWERS, OR RUSSIAN SHASHLIK - WITH PICTURES ON STEPS
CHICKEN SHASHLIK RECIPE: HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN SHASHLIK RECIPE
SHASHLIK - AUTHENTIC AND TRADITIONAL CAUCASIAN RECIPE | 196 FLAVORS
PORK KABOBS (SHASHLIK) - MOMSDISH
RUSSIAN SHASHLIK: SAUCES AND MARINADES - RUSSIANFOODS …
RUSSIAN PORK SHASHLIK RECIPE : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST - BESTDOGWIKI
SHASHLIK CAUCASIAN - FROM THE RUSSIAN TEA ROOM RECIPE
RUSSIAN SHASHLIK - WHITE BBQ CHICKEN | JAMES & EVERETT
SHASHLIK - GRILLED PORK KEBABS ~SWEET & SAVORY
RUSSIAN SHASHLIK RECIPE – MARINATED LAMB SKEWERS OVER CHARCOALS
LAMB SHASHLIK RECIPE (RUSSIAN SHASHLIK) - COOKING COUNTY
RUSSIAN SHASHLIK RECIPE - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
SHASHLIK (RUSSIAN SHISH KEBABS) | THE DOMESTIC MAN
RUSSIAN PORK SHASHLIK RECIPE - THERESCIPES.INFO
GRILLED LAMB SHASHLIK KEBAB RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
RUSSIAN STYLE BEEF & PORK KEBAB (SHASHLIK RECIPE)
SHASHLIK – EASY BASIC MARINADE – RUSSLANDJOURNAL.DE ENGLISH
SHASHLIK - CHEF'S PENCIL
RUSSIAN PORK KABOBS (SHASHLIK) | SILK ROAD RECIPES
RUSSIAN LAMB SHASHLIK RECIPE - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
RUSSIAN SHASHLIK - DISCOVER RUSSIA
RUSSIAN SHASHLIK FROM THE BARBECUE BIBLE BY STEVEN RAICHLEN
PORK SKEWERS (SHASHLIK) RECIPE - NATASHASKITCHEN.COM
SHASHLYK – RUSSIAPEDIA OF RUSSIAN ORIGIN - RT
AUTHENTIC SHASHLYK RECIPE - YOUTUBE
20+ RUSSIAN RECIPES YOU MUST TRY BEFORE YOU DIE
You'll also love