COD FISH CAKES
- Place the potatoes in a large pot of water, bring the water to a boil. Let the potatoes cook until they are almost tender.
- Add the fish to the pot and let the fish and potatoes cook until they are both soft. Drain well and transfer the potatoes and fish to a large mixing bowl.
- Add butter, onion, parsley, and egg to the bowl; mash the mixture together. Mold the mixture into patties.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over a medium-high heat. Fry the patties on both sides until golden brown. Drain on paper towels before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 350.7 calories, Carbohydrate 38.8 g, Cholesterol 98.4 mg, Fat 12.5 g, Fiber 4.3 g, Protein 21 g, SaturatedFat 3.8 g, Sodium 131.1 mg, Sugar 2.3 g
Cod cakes are terrific with cod, but can be made with any white-fleshed fish. Poach the fillets in bay-leaf-scented water, then flake the cooled meat into a New Englandish mirepoix of sautéed onions and celery. Eggs and cracker crumbs will help bind everything together below a drift of spice. Make sure to leave some time to chill the resulting patties in the refrigerator - the cold will help them set up so they don't fall apart in the sauté pan. A light smear of mayonnaise on the exterior of the cakes before you fry them will encourage the most glorious crust. Serve with a thatch of green salad, a bowl of chowder or a neat pile of slaw.
Provided by Sam Sifton
Categories cakes, appetizer, main course
Yield 4 to 6 servings as a main course, 6 to 8 servings as an appetizer
Number Of Ingredients 17
- Fill a shallow, wide pan with high sides with about an inch of water, and set it over high heat. Add the peppercorns, bay leaf and 1 section of the lemon to the water, and allow it to come to a bare simmer. Place the fish into this poaching liquid, and cook, barely simmering, until the flesh has just begun to whiten all the way through, approximately 6 to 8 minutes. Using a wide spatula, carefully remove the fish from the water, and set aside to cool.
- Empty the pan, and return it to the stove, over medium-high heat. Add the butter, and allow it to melt, swirling it around the pan. When the butter foams, add the celery, onions and garlic, and sauté, stirring often, until the vegetables soften and the onions turn translucent, then transfer them to a large bowl.
- In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, mustard, eggs, salt, pepper and seasoning salt (or paprika and hot-pepper flakes), then add this mixture to the bowl with the sautéed vegetables, pour the crushed saltines or bread crumbs over them and stir to combine. Add the parsley, and stir again.
- Flake the cooked fish into the binding sauce carefully, keeping the flakes as whole as you can manage, then gather them into small balls, and form them into patties, 4-6 for a main course, 6-8 for an appetizer. Place them on a sheet pan or platter, cover loosely with plastic wrap and transfer them to the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes to set.
- Set a large sauté pan over high heat, and add to it the neutral oil. When the oil is shimmering, remove the fish cakes from the refrigerator, and carefully sauté the patties until they are golden brown, approximately 4 to 5 minutes a side. Work in batches if necessary. (A small smear of mayonnaise on the exterior of the patties will give them a crisp crust.) Serve them alone, or with greens dressed in a lemony vinaigrette, with the remaining wedges of lemon.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 361, UnsaturatedFat 13 grams, Carbohydrate 28 grams, Fat 19 grams, Fiber 3 grams, Protein 21 grams, SaturatedFat 4 grams, Sodium 443 milligrams, Sugar 2 grams, TransFat 0 grams
SCRUMPTIOUS SALMON CAKES
- Mix salmon, panko, parsley, eggs, green onions, seafood seasoning, black pepper, garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, Parmesan cheese, Dijon mustard, and creamy salad dressing together in a large bowl; divide and shape into eight patties.
- Heat enough olive oil in a large skillet to cover the cooking surface over medium heat. Fry salmon patties in batches until browned, 5 to 7 minutes per side. Repeat with more olive oil, as needed.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 262.6 calories, Carbohydrate 10.8 g, Cholesterol 94.7 mg, Fat 12.3 g, Fiber 0.4 g, Protein 27.8 g, SaturatedFat 2.8 g, Sodium 781.6 mg, Sugar 1.5 g
SALMON AND COD FISHCAKES
- Bring the potatoes to the boil, adding a pinch of salt. Turn down heat and cook for 20 minutes. Drain and mash thoroughly to get rid of lumps. Add 4 tablespoons butter, salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Combine the oil, vinegar, salt and pepper in a small bowl to make a marinade. Dip the fish in it and wrap each piece in foil, with a sprig of parsley. Put parcels in fish kettle or on baking sheet. Add boiling water and steam for 10 to 12 minutes until the juices flow. Remove from silver foil and check for bones. Flake it into big chunks and combine with the mashed potatoes in a big bowl.
- In a frying pan, saute the chopped shallot, scallions, chives, parsley, fennel, dill, garlic and chile in 4 tablespoons butter and olive oil until soft. Combine with potatoes and fish. Cover with cling-film and leave to chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes, see Cook's Note*.
- Remove and form the fishcakes using a dessertspoon and pat them into shape. Dust with flour. Heat sunflower oil in frying pan until very hot and fry the cakes for 3 or 4 minutes on each side until golden brown. Dry them on paper towels.
- Garnish with parsley and slices of lemon.
THE BEST SALMON FISH CAKES
A fail-safe recipe for a speedy fish supper - flaked salmon flavoured with parsley, dill and some secret ingredients
Provided by Good Food team
Categories Dinner, Main course
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Heat the grill.
- Place 450g floury potatoes, cut into chunks, in a pan of water, bring to the boil, cover and cook for 12-15 mins until tender. Drain and leave to steam-dry, then mash.
- Meanwhile, season 350g salmon fillet and grill for 5-6 mins until just cooked. Cool for a few mins, then break into large flakes.
- Mix the potato, 2 tsp tomato ketchup, 1 tsp English mustard, the zest of ½ lemon, 1 heaped tbsp chopped parsley, 1 heaped tbsp chopped dill and some seasoning. Lightly mix in the salmon, taking care not to break it up too much.
- Shape into 4 large fish cakes.
- Put 3 tbsp plain flour, 1 beaten egg and 100g dried breadcrumbs in 3 shallow dishes. Dip the cakes into the flour, dust off any excess, then dip in the egg, and finally coat in breadcrumbs.
- Heat 4 tbsp sunflower oil in a large pan. Fry the cakes over a medium-low heat for 3-4 mins each side until deep golden and heated through.
- Serve with salad and lemon wedges.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 506 calories, Fat 23 grams fat, SaturatedFat 3 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 48 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 2 grams sugar, Fiber 4 grams fiber, Protein 26 grams protein, Sodium 0.9 milligram of sodium
SALMON AND COD FISH CAKES
I had a little salmon and cod to use up, not enough to make a meal out of either, so I came up with this recipe the other night, to use them both together. We really enjoyed them served over salads and I made a tangy mayonnaise relish to go over the top of the cakes which went well with them. The amounts listed below for the fish are just what I had in my fridge and I am sure could be adjusted slightly.
Provided by The Flying Chef
Categories < 60 Mins
Yield 6-8 Patties
Number Of Ingredients 17
- Mayonnaise Relish.
- Combine all the ingredients together in a bowl and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Fish Cakes.
- In a large bowl combine all the ingredients down to the panko flakes, add a few tablespoons of panko flakes to the mix to bind ingredients together.
- Shape into patties, you will get about 6 large or 8 medium patties from this.
- Pour more panko flakes onto a plate, coat the outside of each pattie with panko flakes.
- Heat a little oil in a pan, add patties and cook both sides, until browned and crisp on the outside.
- Serve on buns or over salad as I did and top with relish.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 251.4, Fat 11.7, SaturatedFat 2.2, Cholesterol 138.8, Sodium 333.7, Carbohydrate 10.1, Fiber 0.9, Sugar 4.5, Protein 25.9
ZESTY ROAST SALMON & COD
Roasting is a foolproof way of cooking fish. This salmon dish stays sweet and moist - a great main for a dinner party
Provided by Lesley Waters
Categories Dinner, Supper
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Place the fish in a large bowl, add 2 tbsp of the olive oil, orange zest and season well. Carefully toss the fish to coat, cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for 1-2 hours. Put the raisins into a small bowl, pour over the orange juice and set to one side. Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6.
- Place the peppers in a large shallow, ovenproof pan (approx 35cm diameter) or large shallow roasting tray and drizzle with the remaining olive oil. Season, toss together and roast in the oven for 30 mins. Toast the pine nuts on a baking tray on another shelf of the oven for 8-10 mins, until golden.
- Arrange the fish and raisins on top of the peppers and pour over the juices. Scatter the pine nuts over and season with a good pinch of salt. Cook in the oven for 12-15 mins until the fish is just cooked through. Scatter with parsley and bring to the table.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 407 calories, Fat 21 grams fat, SaturatedFat 3 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 15 grams carbohydrates, Fiber 2 grams fiber, Protein 41 grams protein, Sodium 0.3 milligram of sodium
SALMON AND COD CAKE
- For the salmon and cod cake: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly sprinkle the cod and salmon with salt, pepper and 2 tablespoons of the oil. Bake until cooked through, 4 to 5 minutes, then cool and place in a bowl. Add one-quarter of the panko, the mayonnaise, parsley, pimentos, zest and some salt and pepper. Mix together gently to prevent the fish from breaking too much. Form two 4-ounce patties. The cakes should be moist. Gently crust the outside of the patties with the remaining panko, which will prevent the patties from sticking to the pan.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons grapeseed oil in a medium pan, then place the cakes in the oil and pan-fry until warmed through and the outside is nicely browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
- For the remoulade: Mixing together the mayonnaise, pickles, lemon juice, mustard, parsley, scallions and some salt and pepper.
- For the salad: In a large bowl, mix the frisee, green beans, lemon juice, apples, olive oil and some salt and pepper.
- Lay down the remoulade on the plate, place the fish cake on top, and then garnish with the lump crab and salad.
More about "salmon and cod cake recipes"
SIMPLE FISH CAKE RECIPE | JAMIE OLIVER FISH RECIPES
Servings 4Total Time 1 hrCategory Healthy MealsCalories 186 per serving
- Peel the potatoes, cut into 2cm chunks, and cook in boiling salted water for 10 minutes (or use baked potatoes – scoop out the potato and discard the skin).Rub the salmon fillet all over with 1 teaspoon of oil and a pinch of sea salt and black pepper, then place in a colander and cover with tin foil.When the time's up on the potatoes, place colander directly over the pan of boiling potatoes.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the salmon and potatoes are both cooked through.
- Meanwhile, pick and finely chop the parsley leaves, discarding the stalks.Once cooked, remove the fish from the colander to a plate, and discard the skin.
- Drain the potatoes, and leave to steam dry for 1 minute, then tip back into the pan.Mash the potatoes, spreading the mash round the sides of the pan to help it cool down quickly.
QUICK AND EASY NOVA SCOTIA FISH CAKES RECIPE - BACON IS …
4.5/5 (22)Category CanadaServings 4Total Time 30 mins
- Over medium-low heat add vegetable oil to a heated sauce pan. Saute onion and celery until translucent, about 3-5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Cut potatoes into quarters and boil until cooked and drain. Return to pot. Add butter, garlic salt, sea salt, black pepper, sauteed onion and celery, and summer savoury (optional). Mash together to create mashed potatoes. Let cool in fridge
- Add fish and beaten egg and loosely combine. Form into patties and place on large plate or tray. Put in fridge for one hour to allow patties to cool.
- To cook heat sauce pan over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of oil or butter. Lightly flour patties and pan fry until golden, 2-3 minutes a side.
OATY SALMON AND COD FISHCAKES | TESCO REAL FOOD
4/5 (25)Category SnackCuisine BritishTotal Time 30 mins
IRISH COD FISH CAKES
5/5 (2)Calories 604 per servingCategory Main Course
- Pour the milk into a large saucepan and add the sliced onion and peppercorns. Bring the liquid to simmering point. Do not boil. Lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Add the cod fillets and simmer for 7 to 10 minutes depending on the thickness of your fish.
- Flake the fish into a large mixing bowl, taking care to remove all the bones. Pass the mashed potatoes through a sieve or food mill.
SALMON FISH CAKES RECIPE - BBC FOOD
Servings 4Category Main Course
- Preheat the oven to 220C/200C Fan/Gas 7. Place the salmon fillets on a large sheet of kitchen foil and raise the edges slightly so it will hold a little liquid.
- Meanwhile, cook the potato in a saucepan of boiling salted water until tender. Drain, mash well with the butter and stir in the tartare sauce and lemon zest.
- Flake the salmon away from the skin and add to the potato mixture along with the peas and spring onions. Carefully fold the vegetables and salmon into the potato mixture until just combined (try not to the break up the salmon flakes).
- Meanwhile, place the egg, flour and breadcrumbs in three wide, shallow dishes. Preheat the oven to 220C/200C Fan/Gas 7 and line a baking tray with baking paper.
CRISPY COD FISH CAKES - PINCH AND SWIRL
Ratings 19Calories 167 per servingCategory Main Course
- Set out one large, clean plate or platter and one medium plate. Pour panko breadcrumbs onto medium plate.
- Place cooked fish into a large bowl and flake into small pieces with a fork. Add sour cream, egg, celery, capers, green onion, salt, and pepper; stir to combine. Scoop out 1/8 of the mixture and use your hands to gently pack into a patty. Place on plate with panko crumbs and gently coat all sides with crumbs; transfer to platter. Repeat with remaining mixture.
- Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat until hot. Place 4 fish cakes in skillet and cook until crumbs are crisp and golden brown, pressing down gently with spatula to compress; about 5 minutes per side (turn gently). Transfer cooked fish cakes to warm platter. Repeat process with remaining oil and fish cakes.
GARLIC HERB PAN-FRIED COD CAKES RECIPE - COTTER CRUNCH
3.5/5 (2)Total Time 49 minsCategory AppetizerCalories 138 per serving
- After chilling, scoop about 1/4 to 1/3 cup of the batter and roll into a ball. Then form the ball into a wide patty measuring between 2-3 inches wide. Repeat until you have 6-7 cakes.
KETO SALMON FISH CAKES RECIPE - TASTY LOW CARB FISH PATTIES
5/5 (13)Total Time 25 minsCategory Dinner, Lunch, Main CourseCalories 382 per serving
44 SALMON, COD CAKES IDEAS | COOKING RECIPES, FISH RECIPES ...
44 pins312 followers
SALMON AND COD FISHCAKES WITH SALSA VERDE RECIPE - BBC FOOD
Category Main Course
MR FOOD SALMON CAKES RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
100 SALMON AND CRAB CAKE MEAL PREP IDEAS IN 2021 | SEAFOOD ...
SALMON AND COD CAKE RECIPE
SIMPLE COD FISH CAKES RECIPES | DEPORECIPE.CO
10 BEST SALMON COD FISH RECIPES | YUMMLY
SALMON (COD) CAKES - FEED YOUR SOUL TOO
SALMON AND COD FISH CAKES RECIPES
SALMON AND COD CAKE RECIPES WITH INGREDIENTS,NUTRITIONS ...
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you make crispy cod fish cakes?Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat until hot. Place 4 fish cakes in skillet and cook until crumbs are crisp and golden brown, pressing down gently with spatula to compress; about 5 minutes per side (turn gently). Transfer cooked fish cakes to warm platter. Repeat process with remaining oil and fish cakes.
What's the best way to cook salmon and cod?Arrange the fish and raisins on top of the peppers and pour over the juices. Scatter the pine nuts over and season with a good pinch of salt. Cook in the oven for 12-15 mins until the fish is just cooked through. Scatter with parsley and bring to the table.
How do you make Oaty salmon and cod fishcakes?Mix the mash with the fish, mustard, oats, parsley and seasoning. Divide into 8 and mould into rounds. Heat half the oil in a frying pan and fry 4 of the fishcakes for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden. Remove and keep warm. Repeat with the remaining fishcakes. Serve with salad.
What to do with leftover cod fish cakes?Cod is such a versatile fish, you can sear it, bake it, grill it, or add it to chowders or curries. And if you end up with leftover cooked fish, this easy fish cake recipe is the perfect way to use them. Leftover halibut or salmon (like this Slow Roasted Salmon) also work well in this recipe.