SALSA RECIPE - AUTHENTIC MEXICAN SALSA ROJA
Salsa Recipe - Authentic Mexican Salsa Roja made with fresh ingredients is a perfect appetizer or snack to enjoy this summer.
Provided by Charbel Barker
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Blend the tomato, garlic, and jalapeno in a blender.
- Separately, dice the onions and the cilantro.
- Add the tomato, garlic, jalapeno mixture to a frying pan with a small amount of olive oil.
- Heat over medium high heat until it begins to boil, and then remove from heat.
- Put the salsa in a bowl, add the cilantro and onion, and stir well.
- Add salt to taste.
Nutrition Facts : ServingSize 2 tbsp, Calories 2 kcal
Here's a simple recipe for a fiery, concentrated batch of Salsa Roja.
Provided by Mexican Please
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Start by roasting the tomatoes in a 400F oven.
- Use a damp towel to wipe off any dusty crevasses on the dried chiles. To de-seed them it's easiest to cut off the stem and make a slit lengthwise, then use your hands to pull out the ribs and seeds.
- Saute 1/2 onion and 3 whole garlic cloves in a dollop of oil over medium heat. When the onion starts to soften add the dried chiles. (It's worth cutting the chiles into smaller pieces before adding them to the pan.)
- Let the chiles cook for a few minutes and then add the roasted tomatoes to the pan along with: 1/2 teaspoon Mexican oregano, 1 teaspoon salt, freshly cracked black pepper, 2.5 cups water. (I also add 1 chipotle in adobo and 1 tablespoon of adobo sauce but this is optional.)
- Simmer for 5 minutes or so and then add everything to a blender and combine well.
- Strain the sauce over a mixing bowl and discard the leftover solids. You might have to use a spoon or spatula to push the sauce through the strainer.
- Taste for salt level. I added another pinch of salt along with a splash of cider vinegar.
- Serve immediately or store in an airtight container in the fridge (in a squeeze bottle!).
Nutrition Facts : Calories 21 kcal, ServingSize 1 serving
- Place the chiles, cilantro, garlic and onion in a medium Dutch oven. Pour in enough water to cover the ingredients, 5 to 6 cups. Bring the water to a boil and allow everything to bubble for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove the pot from the heat and cover. Steep until the chiles have softened and the liquid has cooled, about 45 minutes.
- Transfer the contents of the Dutch oven to a blender using tongs and a ladle. Process everything until well combined, about 1 minute. Remove the lid of the blender and add the tomatoes and olive oil. Blend for another 30 seconds.
- Place a mesh strainer over the Dutch oven and pour the puree into it. Use the back of a spoon or spatula to slowly help all of the liquid through the strainer. Discard the pulp. Bring the strained roja to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and allow it to cool completely.
- Stir in the salt, black pepper and lime juice. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks. Enjoy with tortilla chips or anything that needs a little kick.
Preparing homemade salsa lets you alter the flavor to fit your palate. Whip this easy snack together and serve with fresh veggies or. my favorite, lime tortilla chips. -Amber Massey, Coppell, Texas
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 7 cups.
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Place the first 10 ingredients in a food processor; cover and process until chopped. Add cilantro and lime juice; cover and pulse until combined. , Transfer to a bowl; stir in avocados. Serve with tortilla chips.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 42 calories, Fat 2g fat (0 saturated fat), Cholesterol 0 cholesterol, Sodium 381mg sodium, Carbohydrate 6g carbohydrate (3g sugars, Fiber 2g fiber), Protein 1g protein.
- To make salsa: If using fresh tomatoes, place in a pot of simmering water and let cook until soft, about 15 minutes. Drain, remove stem ends, and purée with a blender.
- In a skillet, heat oil until shimmering. Add chilies, onion, garlic, cloves and canela (or spices), sprinkle with salt and cook over medium-low heat, stirring, until softened and golden, about 8 minutes. Add tomato purée or canned tomatoes and simmer, stirring often, until thickened and slightly sweet, about 15 minutes. Taste for salt. Purée with a blender until smooth.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 98, UnsaturatedFat 6 grams, Carbohydrate 8 grams, Fat 7 grams, Fiber 2 grams, Protein 2 grams, SaturatedFat 1 gram, Sodium 399 milligrams, Sugar 5 grams, TransFat 0 grams
SALSA ROJA CHICKEN
Quick pan-seared chicken breasts served with salsa, cotija cheese, and cilantro for a wonderful south-of-the-border taste. The whole family loves this! Easy and quick. Garnish with chopped avocado and sour cream if you like. Serve with Mexican rice and a tossed green salad.
Provided by Sherbg
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Place chicken between 2 sheets of heavy plastic on a solid, level surface. Firmly pound chicken with the smooth side of a meat mallet to 1/2-inch thickness.
- Combine flour, salt, and ground black pepper in a shallow dish. Dredge chicken in flour mixture.
- Coat a large skillet with olive oil; heat over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium and add chicken; cook until golden brown, 5 to 6 minutes. Flip chicken and continue cooking until second side is golden brown, about 4 minutes more.
- Stir diced tomatoes, salsa, chili powder, and cumin into the skillet. Cook until flavors combine, 2 to 3 minutes. Add chicken stock and lime juice; stir to blend. Transfer chicken to a serving platter. Add 3 ounces cotija cheese and tortilla pieces to the sauce; simmer, about 1 minute. Spoon sauce over chicken on the platter.
- Garnish chicken with remaining 1 ounce cotija cheese and fresh cilantro.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 296.7 calories, Carbohydrate 13.8 g, Cholesterol 89.3 mg, Fat 12.1 g, Fiber 2.4 g, Protein 32.1 g, SaturatedFat 5 g, Sodium 698.7 mg, Sugar 3.4 g
- Tear all the chiles into large pieces and toast them in a large dry skillet over medium heat until they change color a bit, about 2 minutes. Add the spices and continue to toast for 2 to 3 minutes until everything is fragrant. Remove from heat and carefully add about 1 cup of hot water to just cover the chiles. Turn the heat to low and simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Preheat the broiler. Put the quartered tomatoes, sliced onion, and whole garlic cloves onto a roasting tray, spreading out evenly. Drizzle with plenty of olive oil and season well with salt and pepper and sprinkle with cilantro sprigs. Broil until everything is nicely charred, about 10 minutes (you want lots of deep rich color so don't be afraid if some of the edges get pretty black).
- Add the chile mixture to a blender and puree. Remove the tomato/onion mixture from the roasting pan and carefully add it to the blender, (it will be hot). Blend until smooth (you may need to work in 2 batches). Once everything is pureed, pour the mixture back into the pot over low heat adding a little water if the salsa is too thick. Stir in the sugar and lime juice and season with salt and pepper, to taste. Transfer to a large serving bowl and serve.
- Combine vegetable stock, ancho chiles, plum tomatoes, onion, red chile, garlic, brown sugar, vegetable oil, cumin, kosher salt, and black pepper in a saucepan; bring to a boil. Boil mixture for 2 minutes.
- Cover saucepan and remove from heat; let stand for 10 minutes.
- Pour mixture into a blender no more than half full. Cover and hold lid down; pulse a few times before leaving on to blend. Puree in batches until smooth. Transfer salsa to a bowl and stir in vinegar.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 21.9 calories, Carbohydrate 3.4 g, Fat 0.9 g, Fiber 1.1 g, Protein 0.7 g, SaturatedFat 0.1 g, Sodium 156.6 mg, Sugar 0.7 g
SALSA ROJA (SALVADORAN TOMATO SAUCE)
Don't let the name fool you! This is not the salsa that you know - the chunky dipping sauce that you may have with nachos. Salsa roja, a simple yet flavorful Salvadoran cooked tomato sauce. It is often served as a dip alongside other traditional South American dishes, such as pupusas and curtido. It is a lot like tomato sauce. Enjoy!
Provided by Nif_H
Yield 2 cups
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and chile and saute for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the onion is translucent.
- Stir in the tomatoes and oregano and simmer for about 10 minutes. Remove from heat and cool a bit.
- Puree the tomato sauce in a blender or with an immersion blender until smooth, adding a little water if needed. Add salt and pepper to taste, stir in cilantro if using and serve.
QUICK & EASY SALSA ROJA
- Place onions, jalapeno chile, and garlic into food processor. Pulse several times, until chopped fine.
- Place tomatoes into food processor.
- Place chopped cilantro, lime juice, salt, and sugar into food processor.
- Mince Serrano chile very fine, then saute for a few minutes, until soft, in olive oil. Place inside food processor, oil and all.
- Pulse all ingredients together until as smooth or chunky as you like. Taste, add salt if desired, serve with tortilla chips.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 85.6, Fat 3.7, SaturatedFat 0.5, Sodium 905.3, Carbohydrate 13.7, Fiber 1.7, Sugar 5.5, Protein 1.8
- In a large saucepan over medium-high heat, char the outside of the tomatoes, garlic, and chiles and then add the onion and cumin seeds, continue to cook about 3 minutes. Add the tomato juice, water, lime zest, lime juice, and salt and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. When the tomatoes have nearly lost their skins and the garlic is softened, puree the sauce in a blender briefly, leaving the final product slightly chunky. Slightly funky.
- Let cool completely, then store in an airtight container in the fridge.
- Do Ahead
- Salsa roja will keep for up to 7 days and is always better on day two!
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees with rack in upper third. Put tomatoes, cut side up, on a rimmed baking sheet, along with onion, 2 jalapenos, and garlic. Drizzle with oil and roast until vegetables are blistered in places and wilting, 22 to 25 minutes. Remove from oven.
- Pulse remaining jalapeno in a food processor until finely chopped. Add roasted vegetables and any accumulated juices, along with cilantro, salt, lime juice, and broth. Pulse until smooth.
More about "salsa roja recipes"
EASY SALSA ROJA - FOOD BLOG WITH AUTHENTIC MEXICAN RECIPES
3.6/5 (66)Total Time 45 minsCategory SalsaCalories 24 per serving
SALSA ROJA RECIPE - MEXICO IN MY KITCHEN
SALSA ROJA RECIPE - MEXICAN RED TABLE SAUCE - CHILI …
SALVADORAN SALSA ROJA RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
SALSA ROJA RECIPE - GREAT BRITISH CHEFS
SALSA ROJA | - TASTES BETTER FROM SCRATCH
ROASTED SALSA ROJA - BETTER HOMES & GARDENS
ROASTED SALSA ROJA - JERRY JAMES STONE
MEXICAN SALSA ROJA RECIPE - MYSPICYKITCHEN
HOMEMADE SALSA ROJA RECIPE - SELF PROCLAIMED FOODIE
ROASTED SALSA ROJA - BAKE IT WITH LOVE
SALSA ROJA - EAT SOMETHING VEGAN
SALSA ROJA INGREDIENTES - THERESCIPES.INFO
SALSA ROJA RECIPE - LOUIS LAMBERT | FOOD & WINE
WHAT IS SALSA ROJA? ⋆ WE WANT THE SAUCE
SALSA ROJA — COOKS WITHOUT BORDERS
SALSA ROJA MEXICANA RECIPE - MARICRUZ AVALOS KITCHEN BLOG
SPICY SALSA ROJA RECIPE - MASHED
8 AUTHENTIC MEXICAN SAUCES AND CONDIMENTS - INSANELY GOOD
BEST HOMEMADE SALSA ROJA (MEXICAN RED SALSA) WITH ROASTED CHILES
GRILLED SALSA ROJA RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
SALSA ROJA - RESTAURANT STYLE SALSA RECIPE FOR THE INSTANT POT
MEXICAN RESTAURANT SALSA RECIPE
BEST AUTHENTIC MEXICAN SALSA RECIPE - LEMON BLOSSOMS
SIMPLE SALSA ROJA RECIPE (ROASTED TOMATO SALSA)
QUICK AND EASY SALSA ROJA - ENCHILLADA SAUCE OLIVE SUNSHINE
HOMEMADE SALSA ROJA - ERREN'S KITCHEN
SALSA ROJA (MADE IN THE BLENDER!) - DELISH KNOWLEDGE
HOW TO MAKE FRESH SALSA ROJA - RAW RED SALSA (EASY)
SALSA ROJA RECIPE | MYRECIPES
CHILE RELLENO RICE WITH SALSA ROJA - PATI JINICH
SALSA ROJA — MARK BITTMAN
SALSA ROJA PORK TAMALES RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
SALSA ROJA - SALSA RECIPES - DELISH
#30-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #occasion #north-american #low-protein #healthy #sauces #condiments-etc #vegetables #american #southwestern-united-states #tex-mex #barbecue #low-fat #salsas #food-processor-blender #dietary #spicy #low-cholesterol #low-saturated-fat #low-calorie #low-carb #healthy-2 #low-in-something #tomatoes #taste-mood #equipment #grilling #small-appliance
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to make homemade salsa roja?This easy homemade salsa roja recipe is the ultimate Mexican salsa, perfect for tortillas, tacos and burritos, with tomatoes, jalapeno, lime juice and more. 2 jalapeno peppers chopped – use Serrano peppers for a bit more heat! Add tomatoes, onion, peppers, garlic, cilantro and lime juice to a food processor. Process until fairly smooth.
How to cook salsa in a crock pot?Instructions Add tomatoes, onion, peppers, garlic, cilantro and lime juice to a food processor. Process until fairly smooth. Heat a large pot to medium heat and add olive oil. Add the salsa and it will sear quickly. Add cumin and bit of salt. Bring to a quick boil and reduce heat to a simmer. Simmer for 15-20 minutes.
How to make salsa at home?Add the tomato, garlic, jalapeno mixture to a frying pan with a small amount of olive oil. Heat over medium high heat until it begins to boil, and then remove from heat. Put the salsa in a bowl, add the cilantro and onion, and stir well. Add salt to taste. Tried this recipe? Mention @mylatinatable or tag #mylatinatable!
Is salsa roja the same as red table sauce?The same is true, if not MORE so, for Salsa Roja, or Mexican Red Table Sauce. If you've been to a Mexican restaurant, you've seen it.