- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 9x12 inch casserole dish.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add cabbage and onion and cook for about 20 minutes, or until tender, stirring often. Add milk and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Gently pour in eggs, stirring constantly. Stir in 3/4 of the cracker crumbs, and the salt and pepper; mix well. Pour into casserole dish and top with remaining cracker crumbs. Dot with butter.
- Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until golden brown and heated through.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 203.3 calories, Carbohydrate 21.2 g, Cholesterol 139.1 mg, Fat 9.8 g, Fiber 3.4 g, Protein 9.4 g, SaturatedFat 4.4 g, Sodium 623.3 mg, Sugar 8.5 g
ESCALLOPED CABBAGE CASSEROLE
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9-by-9-inch baking dish.
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Slice the cabbage into 4 wedges. Remove the hard inner core. Parboil the wedges for 1 to 2 minutes. Drain very well, then arrange in the prepared baking dish.
- In a medium skillet over medium heat, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and cook for a minute or 2. Whisk in the milk, add a pinch of salt and pepper and cook until beginning to thicken. Turn off the heat and stir in the processed cheese and pepper Jack.
- Pour the cheese mixture over the cabbage. Dot with the jalapeno rounds and sprinkle on some paprika. Bake until golden and bubbly, about 20 minutes.
My grandparents always had a large garden and every summer we kids would have to help pick and can. Nobody liked to eat cabbage so Grandma would fix Scalloped Cabbage - we never complained again!
Provided by CindiJ
Yield 8-12 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Cut cabbage up into bite size pieces.
- Par-boil approximately 3-5 minutes, drain well.
- Place cabbage in greased 9x13 casserole.
- Set aside.
- Melt butter in large saucepan.
- Stir in flour and allow to cook 2-3 minutes over medium heat while stirring constantly (I also add salt & pepper to my white sauce to season - approximately 1/4 teaspoons of each).
- Stir in half n half making a thick white sauce. Make your white sauce as thick as you prefer. The thinner the sauce, the more "soupy" the dish will be.
- Cut up Velveeta cheese and stir to melt.
- Season cabbage with salt and pepper to taste.
- Pour cheese sauce over cabbage and bake covered with foil in 350º oven approximately 30-45 minutes till bubbly and cabbage is tender.
- If using the crushed crackers, use saltines or Ritz style crackers accordingly to your tastes. Sprinkle over the top and bake an additional 10 minutes.
- *Updated 7/14/11 - I added 1/4 cup chopped onion to the cabbage while boiling. This went totally undiscovered but did enhance the flavor!
- If you are frying chicken or pork chops to serve with this, use your seasoned flour for the white sauce before coating the meat.
SCALLOPED CABBAGE CASSEROLE
I've taken this dish to many church dinners and receive good comments every time. If your children won't eat cabbage, try making this recipe for them (but don't tell them what's in it!).
Provided by Taste of Home
Categories Side Dishes
Yield 8-10 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Place 1 in. of water, cabbage and carrots in a large skillet; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until crisp-tender. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, saute the onion in 3 tablespoons of butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper; cook until bubbly. Gradually add milk; cook and stir until thickened. , Drain cabbage and carrots; place half in a greased 2-1/2-qt. baking dish. Top with half of the sauce; sprinkle with half of the cheese. Repeat layers. , In a small skillet, melt remaining butter. Add the crumbs, marjoram and thyme; cook and stir until lightly browned. Sprinkle over casserole. , Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until the cabbage is tender and the top is browned.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 193 calories, Fat 13g fat (8g saturated fat), Cholesterol 36mg cholesterol, Sodium 538mg sodium, Carbohydrate 14g carbohydrate (6g sugars, Fiber 2g fiber), Protein 7g protein.
BETH'S SCALLOPED CABBAGE
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 2 quart casserole dish.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook cabbage in boiling water until barely tender, about 10 minutes; drain.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat. Blend in flour, milk, and salt. Cook and stir until slightly thickened, and then fold in cheese.
- Transfer cabbage to prepared casserole dish, and stir in cheese sauce. Sprinkle cracker crumbs on top.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until top is browned.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 238.7 calories, Carbohydrate 22.6 g, Cholesterol 25.2 mg, Fat 13.9 g, Fiber 3 g, Protein 7.3 g, SaturatedFat 6.4 g, Sodium 606.6 mg, Sugar 6.9 g
My mother always made this dish as a special treat, and now I do, too. The combination of ingredients is just right-the white sauce and cheese complement the flavor of the cabbage so well that even people who don't care for cabbage like it!
Provided by Taste of Home
Categories Side Dishes
Yield 6 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Place cabbage in a greased 2-qt. casserole; set aside. In a saucepan, heat oil over medium. Stir in flour, salt and pepper; cook until bubbly. gradually stir in milk; cook and stir until thickened. Fold in cheese. Pour over cabbage. Combine bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle on top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-30 minutes or until bubbly. Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts :
My Aunt Jenny made this for family dinners every Christmas and Thanksgiving when I was growing up. I make it now for my family.
Provided by Christine Chamberlain
Categories Side Casseroles
Number Of Ingredients 7
- 1. Place cabbage in a 4-qt pan, cover with water and boil 5 minutes, until tender crisp. Drain.
- 2. Melt butter with flour, stirring until thickened, about 1 minute. Slowly stir in milk, adding gradually. Add shredded cheese and stir until melted.
- 3. Place cabbage in a 9x13 pan, pour sauce over the cabbage.
- 4. Melt 1/2 cup butter in a pan, stir in cracker crumbs until coated. Sprinkle over the top of the sauce.
- 5. Bake 350 for 30 mins. until the crackers are golden and the sauce is bubbly.
MARY'S CHEESY SCALLOPED CABBAGE
- 1. Cut cabbage into wedges and cook uncovered until tender (about 25 minutes). Add salt to water just before cooking is completed. Drain cabbage, add butter.
- 2. For white sauce: in a saucepan, melt butter over low heat, add flour and salt, stir until combined. Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly until thickened.
- 3. Layer the cabbage, cheese, and white sauce in a 2-1/2 qt. casserole dish. Repeat layers.
- 4. Top with buttered bread crumbs.
- 5. Bake at 375 for 25 minutes, or until bread crumbs are browned.
- 6. A good side dish with ham, pork, sausage, or as a vegetarian main dish. A picture of the lady who is responsible for this recipe: Mary Armstrong Bales, God bless her!
SCALLOPED CABBAGE CASSEROLE
This is our New Year's Day cabbage dish. My husband, who is not a cabbage lover, will actually eat this and ask for seconds.
Provided by ratherbeswimmin
Yield 8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 11
- In a pot of salted boiling water, cook cabbage and carrots until crisp-tender.
- In a sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat; saute onions until tender.
- Add in flour, salt, and pepper; stir and cook until bubbly.
- Gradually add milk; cook and stir until thickened.
- Drain cabbage and carrots; place half in a greased 2 1/2 to 3 quart baking dish.
- Top with half of the sauce.
- Sprinkle with half of the cheese; repeat layers.
- In a smaller skillet, melt remainder of butter.
- Add bread crumbs, marjoram, and thyme.
- Cook, stirring, until lightly browned.
- Sprinkle over casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until cabbage is tender and bread crumb topping is browned.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 162.5, Fat 9.5, SaturatedFat 5.7, Cholesterol 25.6, Sodium 231.1, Carbohydrate 16.6, Fiber 2.8, Sugar 4.4, Protein 4.2
SCALLOPS WITH CABBAGE AND CAPERS
- Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle in the sugar and cook until it just turns golden.
- Add the cabbage and 1/2 teaspoon salt, cover and cook until wilted, about 5 minutes. Add the broth and continue cooking, covered, until crisp-tender, another 15 minutes. Preheat the broiler to high.
- Transfer the cabbage to a flameproof casserole dish. Wipe out the skillet, then add the remaining 6 tablespoons butter and melt over medium heat. Brush the scallops with some of the butter and season with salt and pepper; arrange in a single layer over the cabbage in the casserole dish and broil until firm, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, continue cooking the butter over low heat, swirling the pan occasionally, until toasted and fragrant, 5 minutes. Add the capers, raisins and vinegar (be careful - the butter may foam and bubble); swirl the pan until the raisins are plump. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide the scallops and cabbage among plates. Add the parsley to the sauce and spoon over the scallops.
More about "scalloped cabbage recipes"
SCALLOPED POTATO AND CABBAGE CASSEROLE - PLANT-BASED COOKING
4.3/5 (11)Total Time 55 minsCategory Plantricious, Side DishesCalories 461 per serving
- Peel the potatoes if not organic and slice thinly. Place in cold water if you're not going to use them soon.
- In a large skillet or dutch oven, add a little water and saute the cabbage and onion for about 10 minutes or until they wilt. Add the sliced potatoes and stir carefully. Be sure to drain the potatoes if they are in water).
DEEP SOUTH DISH: SCALLOPED CABBAGE CASSEROLE
Estimated Reading Time 7 minsTotal Time 50 mins
SCALLOPED CABBAGE RECIPE | MYRECIPES
Servings 6Total Time 55 mins
- Cook cabbage and 1 teaspoon salt in 2 cups boiling water 8 minutes. Remove from heat, and drain. Place cabbage in a lightly greased 2-quart baking dish.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan over medium-high heat; whisk in flour. Slowly whisk in milk until smooth. Remove from heat, and whisk in remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and cheese, whisking until cheese is melted. Pour cheese mixture evenly over cabbage. Sprinkle evenly with crushed crackers, if desired.
SCALLOPED CABBAGE | RICARDO
5/5 (12)Total Time 1 hr 20 minsCategory AppetizersCalories 295 per serving
- In a saucepan, melt the butter. Add the flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the milk and bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- In a large saucepan, brown the onions in the butter. Add the cabbage, bay leaf and pepper. Season with salt. Continue cooking for about 5 minutes or until the cabbage is slightly translucent. Add the potatoes and béchamel sauce. Adjust the seasoning.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, heat the oil. Add the breadcrumbs and cook over medium-high heat until golden brown and crispy. Remove from the heat. Add the garlic, cayenne pepper, mustard and parsley.
SCALLOPED CABBAGE RECIPE | MYRECIPES
- Cook shredded cabbage, covered, in a small amount of boiling salted water for 15 minutes or until cabbage is tender; drain well. Set cooked cabbage aside, and keep warm.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook mixture 1 minute, stirring constantly. Gradually stir in milk. Cook sauce over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Stir in pepper.
- Place one-third cracker crumbs in a lightly greased shallow 2 1/2-quart baking dish. Spoon half of cabbage over cracker crumbs. Pour half of sauce mixture over cabbage. Repeat layers, ending with cracker crumbs. Dot cracker crumb layers with 2 tablespoons butter. Cover and bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Serve warm in baking dish.
SCALLOPED CABBAGE - THIS MOM'S MENU
5/5 (3)Total Time 1 hrCategory Side DishCalories 211 per serving
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Meanwhile cut the cabbage into quarters and remove the core. Add 1 tsp of salt to the boiling water, then carefully add the cabbage. Cook until tender, about 10-15 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and grease a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish with butter or nonstick spray.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the almond milk, heavy cream and cream cheese. Stir frequently until the cream cheese is completely melted. Stir in cheddar cheese, and ground mustard.
EDNA MAE’S ESCALLOPED CABBAGE - RECIPES, COUNTRY LIFE ...
Servings 8Estimated Reading Time 4 minsCategory Thanksgiving, Main Dish, Side DishTotal Time 45 mins
SCALLOPED CABBAGE RECIPE - CLASSIC-RECIPES
Servings 6Total Time 35 mins
OLD FASHIONED ESCALLOPED CABBAGE - VINTAGE-RECIPES.COM
Cuisine AmericanTotal Time 30 minsCategory Side DishCalories 234 per serving
CROCK POT SAVORY SCALLOPED CABBAGE RECIPE | CDKITCHEN.COM
Servings 6Calories 95 per servingTotal Time 3 hrs
SCALLOPED CABBAGE - MY FOOD AND FAMILY RECIPES
Category RecipesTotal Time 45 mins
CREAMY SCALLOPED CABBAGE BAKE | RECIPELION.COM
Category CasserolesEstimated Reading Time 2 mins
SCALLOPED TURNIPS RECIPE - +18 COOKING DIRECTIONS ...
THE FARM STAND - SCALLOPED CABBAGE RECIPE! YUMMO! …
EASY MOZZARELLA CHICKEN LOWCARB CHICKEN PARMA : DOWNLOAD ...
SCALLOPED CABBAGE BY PIONEER WOMAN RECIPE
KETO SCALLOPED CABBAGE RECIPES - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT ...
#60-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #north-american #low-protein #main-dish #vegetables #american #dietary #low-calorie #low-carb #low-in-something
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to cook cheesy scalloped cabbage?How to Make Mary's Cheesy Scalloped Cabbage Cut cabbage into wedges and cook uncovered until tender (about 25 minutes). Add salt to water just before cooking is completed. Drain cabbage, add butter. For white sauce: in a saucepan, melt butter over low heat, add flour and salt, stir until combined.
What is the best way to cook cabbage in the oven?Place cabbage in a greased 2-qt. casserole; set aside. In a saucepan, heat oil over medium. Stir in flour, salt and pepper; cook until bubbly. gradually stir in milk; cook and stir until thickened. Fold in cheese. Pour over cabbage. Combine bread crumbs and butter; sprinkle on top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 20-30 minutes or until bubbly.
How to cook cabbage and cheese for pasta?Step-by-Step Cut cabbage into wedges and cook uncovered until tender (about 25 minutes). For white sauce: in a saucepan, melt butter over low heat, add flour and salt, stir until combined. Layer the cabbage, cheese, and white sauce in a 2-1/2 qt. casserole dish. Top with buttered bread crumbs.
How do you cook cabbage with jalapeno and cheese?Pour over the cabbage. Dot with the jalapeno slices, and sprinkle on some paprika. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden and bubbly. Note: This makes a good amount of cheese sauce, so could be enough for more cabbage if desired. This is a version of a recipe from my husband’s beloved grandmother, Edna Mae.