Years ago, when we visited relatives on the eastern coast of North Carolina, they served this dish. I asked for the recipe and it became one of our favorite meals. -Edna Boothe, Richmond, Virginia
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 2 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 10
- In a skillet, saute the green pepper, onion, celery and garlic in oil until tender. Add the tomato sauce, oregano and bay leaf. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes. , Stir in the shrimp; cook 3 minutes longer. Discard bay leaf. Serve over rice.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 228 calories, Fat 6g fat (1g saturated fat), Cholesterol 172mg cholesterol, Sodium 1163mg sodium, Carbohydrate 17g carbohydrate (6g sugars, Fiber 3g fiber), Protein 27g protein.
AUTHENTIC SHRIMP CREOLE
- Cook onion, celery and garlic in hot oil until tender but not brown.
- Add tomatoes, tomato sauce and seasonings.
- Simmer uncovered about 45 minutes.
- Mix cornstarch and 2 teaspoon water, stir into sauce.
- Add shrimp, simmer until done (about 5 minutes).
- Serve with yellow rice.
- Peel shrimp. Make a shallow cut lengthwise down back of each shrimp; wash out vein. Cover and refrigerate.
- In 3-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Cook onions, bell peppers, celery and garlic in butter about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until onions are tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except rice and shrimp. Heat to boiling; reduce heat to low. Simmer uncovered 10 minutes.
- Stir in shrimp. Heat to boiling; reduce heat to medium. Cover and cook 4 to 6 minutes, stirring occasionally, until shrimp are pink and firm. Remove bay leaves. Serve shrimp mixture over rice.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 400, Carbohydrate 57 g, Cholesterol 160 mg, Fat 1, Fiber 3 g, Protein 22 g, SaturatedFat 4 1/2 g, ServingSize 1 Serving, Sodium 1860 mg, Sugar 6 g, TransFat 0 g
SPICY SHRIMP CREOLE
"For more than 35 years, this has been our favorite shrimp dish," says Sharon Larson of Knoxville, Illinois. The tender shrimp combined with a slightly spicy chunky tomato and green pepper mixture makes a hearty portion of this classic.
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 2 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 14
- In a large skillet, saute the onion, celery and green pepper in oil until tender. Add garlic; saute 1 minute longer. Stir in the tomatoes, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, sugar, salt, chili powder and pepper sauce. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 20-25 minutes or until thickened. , Add shrimp; cook 4-5 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink. Serve with rice if desired.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 253 calories, Fat 8g fat (1g saturated fat), Cholesterol 168mg cholesterol, Sodium 1673mg sodium, Carbohydrate 24g carbohydrate (13g sugars, Fiber 6g fiber), Protein 22g protein.
- Melt bacon fat in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in the flour and cook until browned, stirring constantly to make a brown roux (see Editor's Note). Stir tomatoes, tomato sauce, minced onion, green pepper, parsley, garlic, water, salt and pepper into the roux. Bring sauce to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer for 20 minutes. Add shrimp to mixture and cook until the shrimp turn pink, and have turned opaque in the center.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 209.9 calories, Carbohydrate 30.5 g, Cholesterol 149.2 mg, Fat 1.6 g, Fiber 4.3 g, Protein 20.5 g, SaturatedFat 0.3 g, Sodium 3144.9 mg, Sugar 11.6 g
- Heat a large heavy Dutch oven over medium heat. Add oil. Cook garlic, onions, celery, and green bell peppers. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in cayenne and let caramelize. Add the seafood stock, tomatoes, Worcestershire, hot sauce, and bay leaves. Season with salt and pepper. Simmer for 35 minutes. Add shrimp and cook about 4 more minutes, until they are bright pink and cooked through. Garnish with green onions.
- In a large heavy kettle cook garlic, onions, celery, and bell peppers in oil over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until softened. Add all remaining ingredients except shrimp and simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes, or until thickened. Stir in shrimp and cook, covered, over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until shrimp are cooked through, about 5 minutes.
- Serve shrimp and sauce over coked rice.
LOUISIANA SHRIMP CREOLE II
Tomatoes and shrimp cooked up with garlic and onions - this Gulf Coast tradition will have you dreaming of the bayou. This recipe can either be a main dish or a side dish. You can make it as hot as you want, just add more chili powder and hot sauce. Serve over hot rice.
Provided by Katrina Berry
Number Of Ingredients 12
- In a 2 quart saucepan, melt butter or margarine over medium heat. Add onion, green pepper, celery, and garlic; cook until tender.
- Mix in cornstarch. Stir in stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, and red pepper sauce. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. Stir in shrimp, and cook for 5 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 192.8 calories, Carbohydrate 14.3 g, Cholesterol 156.6 mg, Fat 8.1 g, Fiber 2.4 g, Protein 16.8 g, SaturatedFat 4.7 g, Sodium 677.3 mg, Sugar 6.3 g
AUTHENTIC SHRIMP CREOLE
- Peel and devein shrimp, reserving the peel. Place peels in a small saucepan, add water to cover. Bring to a boil, let cook for 15 minutes. Strain and remove broth. Discard peels. Place oil in large heavy pot and place over medium heat. Add onions, green peppers and celery. Saute, stirring until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in tomates, salt, peppers, bay leaves, thyme, sugar and shrimp stock. Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally. Stir in shrimp, cook until they turn pink, 5 to 7 minutes. (Do NOT overcook) Discard bay leaves. Stir in the green onions and parsley. Serve over steaming, fluffy rice.
More about "shrimp creole recipes"
BEST SHRIMP CREOLE RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE SHRIMP CREOLE
5/5 (19)Occupation Senior Food EditorCuisine CajunTotal Time 50 mins
- Season with salt and pepper. Add garlic, paprika, thyme, oregano, and cayenne and cook until fragrant, 1 to 2 minutes more.
EASY SHRIMP CREOLE | THE RECIPE CRITIC
5/5 (1)Category Main CourseServings 4Total Time 20 mins
- In a medium sized skillet over medium high heat add the olive oil. Add in bell pepper, onion and celery and cook until tender.
- Add in stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, chili powder, and Worcestershire sauce. Add shrimp and cover and let simmer for about 5-7 minutes until the shrimp are cooked through.
- Mix together the cornstarch and water and stir into the sauce and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes to let the sauce thicken.
MAKE THE BEST RECIPE FOR SHRIMP CREOLE EVER! | I'D RATHER ...
4.8/5 (4)Total Time 1 hr 30 minsCategory Main CourseCalories 571 per serving
- In a high-sided pot, add in the bacon fat over medium-high heat. When it has melted and is shimmering, add in the shallots and salt. Stir and cook for 4-5 minutes or until the shallots start to turn translucent.
- Add in the cornmeal. Stir and add in the chicken stock. Stir occasionally for the next 5-8 minutes or until the cornmeal absorbs the stock. Then add in the butter and stir until melted. Reduce the heat to low.
- Add in the cream and stir occasionally until the polenta is soft and delicious tasting. Add in the balsamic vinegar and stir. Taste, adjust your seasonings and then set aside.
- In a saute pan, add in the bacon fat over high heat. When the fat shimmers in the pan, add in the celery, green pepper and onion. Give it a good pinch of salt as well. Stir and allow to sweat for 7-10 minutes or until the vegetables have softened.
EMERIL'S SHRIMP CREOLE | EMERILS.COM
EASY SHRIMP CREOLE RECIPE - TASTES BETTER FROM SCRATCH
5/5 (36)Calories 316 per servingCategory Main Course
- Add butter to a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, celery, bell pepper, and garlic and sauté until veggies are lightly browned.
- In a small bowl whisk together the thyme, salt, pepper, cayenne and flour. Stir into onion mixture and cook for 2 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with wine (if using) and then add chicken stock, tomatoes, bay leaves and hot sauce. Reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
THE BEST SHRIMP CREOLE - A CLASSIC NEW ORLEANS-STYLE DISH!
Ratings 135Calories 179 per servingCategory Fish And Seafood
- Reduce heat to medium and cook approximately 10-12 minutes or until vegetables are very soft, adjusting heat as necessary so vegetables don't burn.
SHRIMP CREOLE RECIPE - A CEDAR SPOON
Reviews 3Category SeafoodServings 4Total Time 25 mins
- Place the olive oil, melted butter, shrimp, rice, diced tomatoes, bell peppers, onion, celery, thyme, old bay or cajun seasoning and paprika in a large mixing bowl.
EASY SHRIMP CREOLE - SPICY SOUTHERN KITCHEN
4.3/5 (9)Total Time 45 minsCategory Main CourseCalories 260 per serving
- In a large pan coated with a little oil, cook bacon until brown and crispy. Remove bacon to a paper-towel lined plate.
- Add 1 tablespoon Vegetable oil to bacon drippings. Heat over medium heat and add green pepper, onion, and celery.
SHRIMP CREOLE - IMMACULATE BITES
5/5 (17)Total Time 40 minsCategory MainCalories 391 per serving
- Lightly season the shrimp with creole spice. Heat about 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat in a heavy bottomed Dutch.
- Add remaining oil followed by onions, celery, green pepper, thyme and garlic. Stir for about a 2-3 minutes. Then add bay leaf creole spice, followed by tomatoes, chicken broth, and Worcestershire sauce.
SHRIMP CREOLE RECIPE - ANNA PAINTER | FOOD & WINE
4/5 (2)Category Seafood Recipes, Shellfish Recipes, ShrimpServings 4Total Time 1 hr
- In a large saucepan, melt the butter. Add the onion and garlic to the saucepan and season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, over moderate heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the celery and peppers and cook until softened, 7 minutes. Pour the chicken broth and tomatoes into the saucepan, then add the Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce and Aleppo pepper. Bring the to a boil, then reduce the heat to moderately low and simmer until the sauce has thickened and the peppers are very soft, 15 minutes longer.
- Garnish the shrimp creole with thinly sliced scallions and serve warm with steamed rice. Pass lemon wedges and additional hot sauce at the table.
BEST DANG SHRIMP CREOLE - RECIPES FROM A PANTRY
Ratings 12Calories 316 per servingCategory Brunch, Dinner, Main Course
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan on medium heat. Add the onion, celery and peppers, and soften with a small pinch of salt, stirring often, for about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic, red peppers, creole seasoning, and cayenne pepper and cook for about 30 seconds, stirring regularly, until the aroma is released.
- Bring the sauce to the boil, then simmer, with the lid slightly off, for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until reduced and thickened. Season to taste.
SHRIMP CREOLE - SKINNYTASTE - DELICIOUS HEALTHY RECIPES ...
4.8/5 (18)Total Time 55 minsCategory DinnerCalories 212 per serving
CLASSIC SHRIMP CREOLE RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
4.1/5 (40)Total Time 1 hr 55 minsCategory Entree, Dinner, LunchCalories 411 per serving
SHRIMP CREOLE RECIPE - LOUISIANA COOKIN'
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
SHRIMP CREOLE RECIPE | SOUTHERN LIVING
5/5 (1)Category Food, Sea Food, ShrimpServings 4Total Time 45 mins
SHRIMP CREOLE - REAL CAJUN RECIPES - LACAJUNFOODS.COM
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
SHRIMP CREOLE - CAROLINE'S COOKING
SHRIMP CREOLE RECIPES : FOOD NETWORK | FOOD NETWORK
#60-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #occasion #north-american #main-dish #seafood #vegetables #american #southern-united-states #holiday-event #shrimp #stove-top #creole #dietary #spicy #low-saturated-fat #low-calorie #low-carb #low-in-something #shellfish #tomatoes #mardi-gras-carnival #taste-mood #equipment
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you make creole sauce for shrimp?Shrimp Creole. Reduce heat to low and add onion, garlic, green onion, and bell pepper. Stir well, and cook until softened, 4 to 6 minutes. Stir in tomato sauce, thyme, bay leaves, oregano, and lemon juice. Increase heat to medium, and bring sauce to a simmer. Add 2½ cups water, cayenne, and salt, and simmer until thickened, 30 to 45 minutes.
What makes shrimp creole a New Orleans dish?Shrimp creole is a classic New Orleans dish made with the same technique as many other Cajun dishes. Usually Cajun or Creole meals will start off by cooking down the Cajun Trinity (onions, bell pepper, celery). This dish is no exception…
What's the best way to cook Cajun shrimp?First, in a large high sided skillet or a medium Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add in the onions, bell pepper, celery, and parsley. Cook this down until the onions are translucent and tender, stirring occasionally.
What kind of vegetables are in shrimp creole?(Nutrition information is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate.) This shrimp Creole is a classic Louisiana dish, made with a tomato-based Creole sauce with the traditional "Holy Trinity" of vegetables: onions, bell peppers, and celery.