LENTIL & BACON SOUP
Blend your storecupboard pulses with cumin, turmeric and garlic to create this robust soup with crispy pancetta topping
Provided by Caroline Hire - Food writer
Categories Lunch, Soup
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the onion, 1 pack of pancetta and the carrot. Cook on a low to medium heat for 10 minutes until the onions are soft.
- Add the cumin, turmeric, garlic and chilli and cook for a further 1 - 2 minutes until the aromas are released.
- Pour in 1.25 litres of boiling water, crumble in the stock cubes and add the lentils. Bring to a simmer and cook for 20 mins, stirring occasionally to ensure the lentils aren't sticking.
- Meanwhile, fry the remaining lardons in a small frying pan for about 10 minutes until crispy. You don't need to add any oil as plenty will run from the pancetta.
- Serve the soup with a sprinkle of crispy lardons on top.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 493 calories, Fat 19.1 grams fat, SaturatedFat 6.6 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 50.6 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 7.3 grams sugar, Fiber 7.7 grams fiber, Protein 29.5 grams protein, Sodium 1.6 milligram of sodium
SMOKED BACON AND LENTIL SOUP
This hearty and satisfying soup takes the chill off of any wintry evening. I like to serve it with Tabasco sauce on the side but if you want less heat, a few drops of vinegar will work nicely. Serve with lots of warm crusty bread. Recipe originally to be found in Delia Smith's "Complete Cookery Course" and her "Complete Illustrated Cookery Course".
Provided by FlemishMinx
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Heat oil in a large soup pot and fry the bacon until the fat begins to run.
- Add carrots, onion, celery and cook over high heat and stirring as needed until the edges of the vegetables begin to brown.
- Add lentils, tomatoes, garlic and stock.
- When this comes to a boil, put the lid on and reduce heat, allowing to simmer as gently as possible.
- Simmer for 45 minutes, then add the cabbage.
- Cook an additional 15 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings with salt and pepper.
- Stir in parsley, and serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 296.1, Fat 9, SaturatedFat 2.3, Cholesterol 16, Sodium 645.3, Carbohydrate 36.6, Fiber 11.4, Sugar 9.9, Protein 17.9
HEARTY LENTIL SOUP WITH BACON AND HERBS
- Combine onion, celery, carrot, bacon and garlic in heavy Dutch oven. Stir over medium-high heat 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low; cover and cook until vegetables are tender, about 7 minutes. Uncover; add 7 cups broth, lentils, thyme and bay leaf and bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until lentils are tender, stirring occasionally, about 45 minutes. Discard thyme sprigs and bay leaf.
- Transfer half of soup to processor; cool slightly. Puree until smooth. Return puree to Dutch oven. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
- Bring soup to simmer, thinning with more broth, if desired. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper.
- Combine parsley and chives in small bowl. Ladle soup into bowls. Sprinkle parsley mixture over and serve.
More about "smoked bacon and lentil soup recipes"
A SUPER EASY RED LENTIL AND SMOKY BACON SOUP
5/5 (1)Total Time 50 minsCategory SoupCalories 518 per serving
- Add the bacon and cook for a further 5 minutes, or until the fat starts to release and the bacon is browned. I like scrape the onion to one side in the pot as I find the bacon browns better this way. You can also remove the onion from the pot whilst browning the bacon if you prefer.
FRENCH LENTIL SOUP - ONCE UPON A CHEF
Cuisine FrenchTotal Time 1 hrCategory SoupsCalories 318 per serving
- Fry the bacon in a large pot over medium heat, stirring frequently, until the fat is rendered and the bacon is crisp, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the olive oil, onions, celery, carrots, and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Do not brown; reduce heat if necessary. Add the tomatoes (with their juices), broth, lentils, thyme, bay leaves, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Cover partially, reduce the heat to low, and simmer until the lentils are tender, 45 to 50 minutes (less for common lentils). Fish out the bay leaves and discard.
- Use an immersion blender to purée the soup until the broth is slightly thickened, or to desired consistency. (Be careful not to purée too much or the soup will get too thick, and you'll lose the integrity of the lentils.) If you don't have an immersion blender, transfer about 2 cups of the soup to a blender and purée until smooth, then return the blended soup to the pot. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley if desired and serve. (Note: The soup may thicken as it sits; thin with a bit of water if necessary.)
- Freezer-Friendly Instructions: The soup can be frozen for up to 3 months. Defrost the soup in the refrigerator for 12 hours and then reheat it on the stovetop over medium heat until hot.
SMOKY LENTIL AND BACON SOUP • MY POCKET KITCHEN
4.8/5 (10)Servings 6Cuisine AllCategory Dinner, Lunch
- Add stock and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and continue to simmer for 20-30 minutes or until lentils are desired tenderness.
SMOKY BACON & LENTIL SOUP RECIPE | EATINGWELL
Total Time 55 minsCalories 261 per serving
- Cook bacon in 2 batches in a large pot over medium heat until crisp, 5 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate, reserving 2 Tbsp. drippings in the pot. Crumble the bacon and reserve for the topping.
- Add garlic, onion, carrot, and chard stems to the pot; cook over medium heat until softened, 5 to 6 minutes. Add broth, lentils, smoked paprika, cumin, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low. Tie rosemary sprigs together with butcher's twine or secure in a cheesecloth bag. Add the rosemary to the soup, gently pressing into the liquid and stirring. Cover, leaving the lid slightly ajar to allow steam to escape and prevent the lentils from boiling over. Simmer until the lentils are tender, about 20 minutes. Remove and discard the rosemary sprigs.
- Transfer 2 cups of the soup to a blender. Remove the center piece of the lid (to let steam escape), secure the lid on the blender, and cover with a kitchen towel. Puree until smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids). Return the blended soup to the pan.
LENTIL AND BACON SOUP - COOKIDOO® – THE OFFICIAL THERMOMIX ...
4.8/5 (145)Category SoupsServings 6Total Time 55 mins See details »
SMOKED BACON AND LENTIL SOUP | RECIPES | DELIA ONLINE
Cuisine BritishCategory ChristmasServings 4-6Estimated Reading Time 1 min See details »
LENTIL SOUP RECIPE WITH SMOKED SAUSAGE - VINDULGE
3.6/5 (5)Category SoupCuisine AmericanTotal Time 1 hr 35 mins
- In large stock pot over medium heat, add olive oil and bacon. Cook bacon until crispy, about six minutes. Remove, set aside. Discard most of the bacon fat, leaving about 1 tablespoon worth in the pot.
BACON, CABBAGE, AND LENTIL SOUP – CHEFSVILLE
Cuisine French, Middle Eastern, SpanishCategory Main Dish, Soups N StewsServings 4Total Time 25 mins
- Heat a large saucepan or medium soup pot on medium heat for one minute. Then add olive oil, the onion, celery and carrot, letting them cook for about 4 minutes. Meanwhile, dice the garlic and prepare the herbs for use. Add garlic, bay leaf and thyme, then season with salt and pepper. Stir once every minute and allow the vegetables to sweat for about ten minutes total. Do not brown the vegetables.
- Next add the bacon, lentils, and tomatoes if you are using them. Stir, then add vegetable stock. Let this simmer until the lentils are cooked, about 8 minutes, adding some more water or stock if the liquid level drops too far.
- While the lentils are cooking, de-stalk and cut the cabbage leaves and add them to the soup. The water level should cover the cabbage leaves. Cover and simmer for about 5 minutes until the cabbage is cooked, but still nice and green.
SCOTTISH RED LENTIL SOUP WITH BACON - CARRIE'S KITCHEN
4.8/5 (4)Total Time 1 hrCategory Appetizer, SoupCalories 218 per serving
- After your lentils have soaked, heat the oil in your pot over a medium-high heat and add the bacon. Fry until just starting to crisp, then add the onions.
- When the onions are starting to soften, about 3-5 minutes, add the garlic and the rest of the vegetables and cook for another 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
SLOW COOKER LENTIL SOUP WITH BACON - THE LEMON BOWL®
4.3/5 (22)Total Time 4 hrs 15 minsCategory Appetizer, SoupCalories 172 per serving
- In a frying pan over medium-high heat, cook bacon slices until brown and crispy then remove from pan and set on a plate lined with paper towel to drain.
- Add all ingredients including the cooked bacon to the slow cooker and heat on Low for 8 hours or High for 4 hours.
RED LENTIL SOUP WITH SMOKED PAPRIKA RECIPE
4.2/5 (18)Total Time 40 minsCategory Dinner, Lunch, Appetizer, SoupCalories 345 per serving See details »
LENTIL AND BACON SOUP RECIPE - BBC FOOD
Servings 6Category Light Meals & Snacks See details »
A RECIPE FOR BACON AND LENTIL SOUP- WARMING AND DELICIOUS
Estimated Reading Time 1 min See details »
LENTIL SOUP WITH HOME SMOKED BACON - HAZARDOUS KITCHEN
See details »
38 EASY AND TASTY LENTIL AND BACON RECIPES BY HOME COOKS ...
See details »
EASY SPINACH LENTIL SOUP RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
See details »
LENTIL & SMOKED BACON - NEW COVENT GARDEN SOUP
See details »
LENTIL AND SMOKED SAUSAGE SOUP RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
See details »
SMOKED BACON AND LENTIL SOUP | RECIPE | SMOKED BACON, SOUP ...
See details »
LENTIL SOUP – JOURNEY FROM A POLISH KITCHEN
See details »
SMOKED BACON AND LENTIL SOUP - TFRECIPES.COM
See details »
LENTIL & SMOKED BACON SOUP - ORIGINAL FAMILY RECIPES
See details »
#bacon #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #preparation #main-dish #soups-stews #beans #pork #vegetables #dietary #lentils #meat #4-hours-or-less
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you make lentil and bacon soup?Put the olive oil in a large saucepan set over a low-medium heat and add the bacon, onion, carrot and celery. Cook gently for 10 minutes, until soft and sweet. Stir in the garlic and cook for 5 minutes more. Add the red lentils, followed by the tinned tomatoes and stock.
How do you make lentil soup with paprika?Add the cumin and paprika, cook, stirring constantly until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the rinsed lentils and 6 cups of broth or water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to maintain a steady simmer.
Can you freeze red lentil and bacon soup?Red Lentil & Smoky Bacon Soup. A simple, hearty red lentil and bacon soup that is perfect for the cooler weather. It can be made ahead and freezes well, so double the recipe and stock the freezer.
How long do you cook French lentil soup?They are definitely worth going out of your way to find but if you can’t get them, go ahead and use common green or brown lentils; Just watch the cooking time carefully as they can get mushy. Whereas the French green lentils will need to simmer for 45 to 50 minutes, common green or brown lentils will need just 20 to 25 minutes.