CHICKEN WITH RICE AND GRAVY
- Place rice in a saucepan with 4 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes or until rice is tender. Prepare chicken while the rice is cooking.
- In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, paprika, and thyme. Use a finger to grind the thyme to a powder in the palm of your hand before adding. Coat the chicken breasts in the flour mixture. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the flour mixture for the gravy.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Place chicken in the skillet, and cook for about 10 minutes on each side, until the chicken is golden brown, and the juices run clear. Remove chicken from the pan, leaving the drippings and crusty bits in.
- Whisk together 3/4 cup water, 2 tablespoons of the flour mixture, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Whisk into the skillet, scraping the browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thick and bubbly. Add additional water 1 tablespoon at a time if the gravy is too thick. Serve chicken alongside rice topped with gravy.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 658.5 calories, Carbohydrate 98 g, Cholesterol 91.3 mg, Fat 11 g, Fiber 2.2 g, Protein 37.2 g, SaturatedFat 6.1 g, Sodium 579.5 mg, Sugar 0.2 g
SOUL SMOTHERED CHICKEN
You can't just go to any restaurant and get smothered chicken like you would if you went down to the urban neighborhoods in Houston. This meal of browned chicken in a savory chicken gravy sauce is best when served over a bed of white rice.
Provided by Veronica Rockett
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season chicken pieces with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Dredge in 3/4 cup flour, place in the skillet, and brown on all sides. Set chicken aside, and drain skillet, reserving about 1 tablespoon butter.
- Reduce skillet heat to medium-low, and stir in onions, celery, garlic, and carrots. Cook 5 minutes, until tender. Stir in the flour, and cook 5 minutes more. Pour in the chicken broth, season with cayenne pepper, and remaining salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, and reduce heat to low.
- Return chicken to the skillet, cover, and continue cooking 30 minutes, until chicken juices run clear and gravy has thickened.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 371.9 calories, Carbohydrate 21.7 g, Cholesterol 78.9 mg, Fat 23.1 g, Fiber 2.7 g, Protein 19 g, SaturatedFat 10.3 g, Sodium 1471.3 mg, Sugar 5 g
SMOTHERED CHICKEN WITH GRAVY AND RICE
ABSOLUTELY DELICIOUS! Your family will kiss the cook for this dish! This dish makes very good gravy. Easy and Simple! Just add a vegetable and you have your entire meal.
Provided by Seasoned Cook
Categories Chicken Breast
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 7
- Place chicken breasts in a baking dish. Sprinkle with Ms. Dash, salt and pepper.
- Mix cream of mushroom soup and sour cream. Pour over chicken breasts.
- Bake covered in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes. Remove and place on onion rings. Bake uncovered for 15 minutes.
- Serve chicken breasts and gravy over cooked rice. Makes a pretty dish.
SMOTHERED CHICKEN WITH RICE
This is definitely one of my favorite recipes to prepare for my family! Everyone loves it, and it's so easy to throw together! ***Disclaimer - 99% of the dishes represented by the photographs are shot with a Pro SLR camera and owned by me. The appearance of the dishes are an accurate result of my recipes, and are usually taken...
Provided by Megan Flores
Categories Other Main Dishes
Number Of Ingredients 10
- 1. Preheat oven to 350F.
- 2. Prepare rice according to package, enough to cover the entire bottom of a deep 9x13 glass baking dish (3 servings).
- 3. In the meantime, in a large skillet heat enough Olive Oil to cover the bottom..coat chicken thighs on both sides with Olive oil as well. Use desired amounts of salt, pepper and garlic powder to flavor.
- 4. When the Olive Oil is hot, turn heat down to medium to medium-high and add minced garlic to the oil. Let Garlic sauté in the oil for about 1 min, then add Chicken..skin down in the pan.
- 5. Brown for 15 minutes each side until chicken is golden brown (this locks the flavor into the chicken itself).
- 6. While chicken is cooking, prepare Cream of Mushroom soup by adding 2-3 cans to a bowl, 1 1/2 cups milk, salt/pepper to taste , garlic powder, 1 tsp minced garlic and finally sliced fresh mushrooms.
- 7. With a paper towel, brush a small amount of Olive oil around the bottom and sides of the baking dish...add rice and spread out to cover the bottom..add chicken to the baking dish on top of the rice and pour sauce mixture over all.
- 8. Cover with foil and cook for about 45-50 minutes...uncover, and cook for an additional 20 minutes.
- 9. I like to make fresh rolls with it..sometimes I'll make my own from scratch, and sometimes I'll buy that Rhodes frozen white roll dough and let it rise all day... A fresh roll with butter really just completes the dish!
- 10. Serves 4-8 depending on the household appetite!
- In a med frying pan place gizzards on med heat.
- Add sliced mushrooms, onions, garlic powder and celery salt.
- Add mushroom soup and cover.
- Simmer for 2-3 hours or until the soup thickens to a thick gravy (may need to remove cover to allow soup to thicken).
- Serve hot over noodles or rice.
- Sometimes I eat them cold or slightly warm with saltine crackers.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 249.1, Fat 10.6, SaturatedFat 2.5, Cholesterol 185, Sodium 1081.2, Carbohydrate 18.3, Fiber 1.9, Sugar 6.1, Protein 21.9
SMOTHERED AND COVERED CHICKEN AND GRAVY
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Combine the flour, onion powder, paprika and cayenne pepper in a shallow dish. Season with salt and black pepper and stir to combine.
- Heat the oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium-high heat until shimmering. Pat the chicken dry and place in the flour-spice mixture, turning to dust on both sides. Shake off the excess. Add the coated chicken to the hot oil and sear until brown, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Remove to a plate.
- Add the onions to the oil remaining in the skillet and reduce the heat to medium. Season the onions with salt and black pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, 45 to 60 seconds.
- Tip the remaining flour mixture into the onions and stir to coat and combine. Stir in the warmed chicken stock and increase the heat to medium high. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat until the mixture simmers. Add the reserved chicken with any accumulated juices, nestling it into the onions, and the thyme and bay leaf. Transfer the skillet to the oven and cook until the juices of the chicken run clear when pierced with a knife and the temperature reads 165 degrees F when measured with an instant-read thermometer, about 30 minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning with salt and black pepper. Discard the thyme sprigs and bay leaf. Serve the chicken immediately.
SAY-MY-NAME SMOTHERED CHICKEN AND GRAVY
- Season the chicken with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Place the flour in a large bowl. Roll the chicken in the flour to coat, shaking off excess flour. Transfer 3 tablespoons of the flour to a medium bowl and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook, turning halfway during cooking, until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Pour off all but 3 tablespoons of the oil from the skillet. Reduce the heat to medium. Add the onions, celery, and garlic and cook, stirring often, until tender, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle with the reserved flour and stir well. Gradually stir in the broth and bring to a simmer.
- Return the chicken to the skillet. Reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and shows no sign of pink when pierced at the bone, about 35 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a deep platter and cover with foil to keep warm. Bring the sauce to a boil over high heat and cook, stirring often, until thickened, about 5 minutes. Season the gravy with salt and pepper and pour over the chicken. Serve hot.
More about "smothered chicken with gravy and rice recipes"
EASY CREAMY SMOTHERED CHICKEN AND GRAVY RECIPE - CHEF ...
4.7/5 (6)Servings 8Cuisine American, SouthernCalories 440 per serving
- Combine the flour, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, cayenne salt, and black pepper in a medium bowl. Take three tablespoons from the flour mixture and set aside.
- Wash the chicken and pat dry then dredge in the flour-spice mixture. Shake off excess flour and set aside.
- Heat the oil in a large pan over medium to high heat. Add the chicken and sear until brown. About 4 minutes on each side. Remove to a plate. Remove excess oil from the pan and leave about 3 tablespoons.
- Add the sliced onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until they are golden brown. About 5 minutes. Add the garlic, bay leaf, thyme, and butter. Cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
SOUTHERN SMOTHERED CHICKEN | I HEART RECIPES
4.9/5 (40)Total Time 1 hrCategory Dinner
- Pour 1 1/2 cup flour into a large bowl, and add in seasonings : garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper, celery seed, poultry seasoning, and smoked paprika. Mix until well incorporated.
EASY SMOTHERED CHICKEN AND GRAVY RECIPE | DIETHOOD
5/5 (11)Total Time 30 minsCategory DinnerCalories 348 per serving
- Pat dry the chicken breasts with paper towels, then season chicken breasts with seasoning salt, paprika, and pepper.
- Add chicken to skillet and sear for 5 to 7 minutes per side, or until golden brown and cooked through. Chicken is cooked through when internal temperature reaches 165˚F. Please use an Instant Read Meat Thermometer for accuracy. The thicker the chicken, the longer it will take to cook. If skillet isn't big enough, cook the chicken in batches.
SMOTHERED CHICKEN RECIPE WITH DELICIOUS BROWN GRAVY
Cuisine AmericanCategory EntreeServings 8Total Time 1 hr 15 mins
- In a large deep skillet heat vegetable oil over low heat until hot, about 4 to 5 minutes. Place chicken in hot vegetable oil and over medium-low heat, fry chicken until golden brown turning frequently. Remove chicken from skillet.
- Next add vegetables consisting of garlic, yellow and green onions to skillet, cook and stir until thoroughly browned. Remove skillet from heat.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, soy sauce, and chicken broth. Using a wire whisk stir until flour mixture is smooth.
SMOTHERED CHICKEN LIVERS IN BROWN GRAVY
Servings 4Total Time 30 mins
SMOTHERED STEAK AND GRAVY – OUR FAMILIES RECIPES
Category EntreeEstimated Reading Time 2 mins
SMOTHERED CHICKEN RECIPE (A SOUTHERN SPECIALTY!) - GONNA ...
5/5 (2)Total Time 1 hr 30 minsCategory Main CourseCalories 280 per serving
- Pat chicken pieces dry with paper towels. Sprinkle chicken pieces with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. In a shallow bowl, spread 3/4 cup all-purpose flour. Dredge chicken pieces, one at a time, in flour mixture, shaking off any excess.
- Heat vegetable oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add half the chicken pieces, skin side down, cooking 4-6 minutes until nicely browned. Remove browned chicken to a plate. Repeat with remaining chicken pieces, adjusting heat as need, so not to burn the flour.
- Pour off all but 3 tablespoons of the oil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the onions, celery, garlic, and carrots and cook until veggies are soft, 7-8 minutes. Sprinkle remaining 3 tablespoons of all-purpose flour over veggies and stir to combine. Continue to cook for 1 minute. Mix in broth, poultry seasoning, cayenne pepper, 2 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Nestle chicken pieces into sauce along with any accumulated juices. Partially cover and simmer chicken 30-40 minutes, or until cooked through and tender.
- Transfer chicken to a deep platter. Adjust gravy seasoning if needed, then pour over chicken. Sprinkle with parsley and serve.
SMOTHERED CHICKEN AND GRAVY - COOKING WITH TAMMY.RECIPES
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
- Add salt, ground black pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, paprika, Montreal chicken seasoning, and creole seasoning.
SMOTHERED CHICKEN RECIPE (CHICKEN AND GRAVY) - A SPICY ...
5/5 (4)Total Time 30 minsCategory Dinner, Main, Main CourseCalories 416 per serving
SOUTHERN SMOTHERED CHICKEN | I HEART RECIPES | RECIPE ...
4.9/5 (40)Estimated Reading Time 6 minsServings 4Total Time 1 hr
SMOTHERED CHICKEN WITH RICE | RECIPE | COOKING, RECIPES ...
4/5 (6)Estimated Reading Time 50 secsServings 6Total Time 1 hr 30 mins
OLD-FASHIONED SOUTHERN CHICKEN AND RICE - KEY TO MY LIME
5/5 (11)Total Time 50 minsCategory DinnerCalories 385 per serving
SMOTHERED CHICKEN THIGHS IN ONION GRAVY RECIPE
Cuisine AmericanCategory Dinner, EntreeServings 8Total Time 55 mins
SMOTHERED CHICKEN WITH GRAVY AND RICE RECIPES
SOUTHERN SMOTHERED CHICKEN AND RICE - ALL INFORMATION ...
INSTANT POT SMOTHERED CHICKEN BREAST - ALL INFORMATION ...
HOW TO MAKE SMOTHERED CHICKEN AND GRAVY RECIPE - YOUTUBE
HOW TO MAKE SMOTHERED CHICKEN WITH BROWN GRAVY RICE GREEN ...
SMOTHERED CHICKEN AND RICE RECIPES - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT ...
SMOTHERED CHICKEN WITH RICE AND GRAVY RECIPE, HOW TO MAKE ...
#time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #occasion #north-american #main-dish #poultry #american #chicken #comfort-food #meat #chicken-breasts #taste-mood #4-hours-or-less
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you cook smothered chicken in gravy?Smothered Chicken Recipe. Over medium heat, cook and stir with wire whisk until gravy begins to boil and thicken. If necessary add more broth if gravy is too thick. Return browned chicken to skillet, reduce heat to low, cover skillet with lid and simmer for 35-40 minutes, stirring gravy and turning chicken until done.
How to make smothered chicken with rice?How to Make Smothered Chicken with Rice. Prepare rice according to package..enough to cover the entire bottom of a deep 9x13 glass baking dish (3 servings)..in the meantime, in a large skillet heat enough Olive Oil to cover the bottom..coat chicken thighs on both sides with Olive oil as well.
How to cook chicken and rice with gravy?Directions. Prepare chicken while the rice is cooking. In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, paprika, and thyme. Use a finger to grind the thyme to a powder in the palm of your hand before adding. Coat the chicken breasts in the flour mixture. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the flour mixture for the gravy.
What goes well with smothered chicken?This southern smothered chicken is made with a rich onion and garlic gravy that goes great with potatoes of rice. This recipe is a delicious weeknight dinner!