SOUTHERN BUTTER PECAN CAKE
- Preheat oven to 350. Generously grease 2 9-inch cake pans with shortening and lightly dust with flour. Set aside.
OLD SOUTHERN CHOCOLATE PECAN SHEET CAKE
I received this recipe from an old Southern cook, a copy of a copy of a typed-up sheet from long ago, annotated with her notes (which included the word oleo instead of margarine). I've never seen another chocolate cake recipe like it, which instructs the cook to heat part of the cake batter on the stove, and pour the cooked icing over a hot cake. The result is a wonderfully rich (yet surprisingly light) chocolate sheet cake topped with a cooked chocolate and pecan frosting. This cake has an incredible homemade taste, yet is foolproof! Will make you forget Duncan Hines®!
Provided by Leslie41
Number Of Ingredients 17
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease bottom and sides of a 9x13-inch pan.
- Mix 2 cups white sugar, flour, and salt in a mixing bowl.
- Combine water, vegetable shortening, margarine, and 3 tablespoons cocoa powder in a saucepan. Bring mixture to a boil over medium heat, stirring frequently. Pour liquid into flour mixture and stir well. Return saucepan to stove and set it aside.
- Dissolve baking soda in buttermilk in a large liquid measuring cup and stir in eggs and vanilla extract. Pour egg mixture into cake batter and mix until fully combined. Transfer batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake the cake in preheated oven until cake springs back when touched lightly with a finger or a tester comes out clean, 25 to 30 minutes.
- While cake is baking, prepare icing using reserved saucepan. Combine confectioners' sugar, 3 tablespoons cocoa powder, butter, milk, vanilla, and pecans in saucepan. Cook and stir over medium heat until hot but not boiling. Pour icing over hot cake immediately after it comes out of the oven. Allow cake to cool completely on a wire rack.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 324.8 calories, Carbohydrate 45.1 g, Cholesterol 24.3 mg, Fat 15.9 g, Fiber 1.2 g, Protein 2.6 g, SaturatedFat 4.7 g, Sodium 185 mg, Sugar 35.7 g
TEXAS PECAN CAKE
Can't decide between Mama's Pecan Pie recipe and Grandma's Icebox Fruitcake this holiday season? Don't fret. The Lonestar State has your back. Meet our Texas Pecan Cake, a simple recipe that guarantees pecan fans will leave the feast satisfied. This pound-cake-meets-fruit-cake confection combines both worlds to create the ultimate holiday treat. In true Texas style, this recipe goes big with the state's official nut, calling for 2 cups of chopped pecans. Pecan lovers will be pleased when they're served a slice that's studded with nuts inside and out. If you want to take this rich, dense dessert to the next level, consider adding a glaze. Or, for an easier addition, serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side. If it's just too much to finish (especially after a holiday feast), you can cover and eat on the leftovers for up to three days.
Provided by Southern Living Editors
Yield Serves 12 (serving size: 1 wedge)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Preheat oven to 325°F. Beat butter and sugar with a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment on medium-high speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir together baking powder, salt, and 3 1/2 cups of the flour in a bowl. Gradually add flour mixture and lemon extract to butter mixture, beating on medium speed until just combined. Stir together pecans, raisins, and remaining 1/2 cup flour in a separate bowl; stir into batter until combined.
- Coat a 10-inch tube pan with baking spray with flour. Spoon batter into prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, 1 hour, 15 minutes to 1 hour, 30 minutes. Cool in pan 15 minutes. Remove from pan; let cool completely on a wire rack, about 1 hour.
SOUTHERN PECAN CAKE
Because pecan trees are such an iconic symbol in Texas, this recipe is a classic in any Southern home. I remember eating this cake as a baby, even picking the pecans myself from the trees in my grandmother's backyard. When I chose to enter it in at the County Fair, my grandmother gave her coveted recipe secrets to me. And, now, this award-winning cake can be enjoyed in your home, too!
Provided by Satira
Number Of Ingredients 17
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour two 8-inch round cake pans.
- Mix butter, milk, coconut milk, and vanilla extract together in a large bowl. Combine flour, sugar, cornstarch, baking powder, and salt in a separate bowl. Slowly mix into the milk mixture. Add egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Divide batter between the prepared cake pans.
- Bake cakes in the preheated oven until tops are golden yellow and spring back when lightly pressed, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Prepare frosting while cakes are baking. Combine sugar, evaporated milk, butter, egg yolks, and flour in a saucepan. Heat over medium-low, stirring constantly, until mixture starts to thicken. Add vanilla and stir for 1 minute. Pour in pecans; cook and stir for 2 minutes more.
- Remove frosting from heat and let cool. Remove cakes from the oven and set aside to cool, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Place 1 cooled cake layer on a serving plate. Cover with some of the cooled frosting. Top with the second cake layer. Frost top and sides with remaining frosting.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 617.5 calories, Carbohydrate 59.5 g, Cholesterol 152.8 mg, Fat 41.2 g, Fiber 3 g, Protein 6.9 g, SaturatedFat 14.8 g, Sodium 159.7 mg, Sugar 40.7 g
BUTTER PECAN CAKE
My husband has a sweet tooth and I enjoy making great desserts like this cake for him! We have two farms - both of which are wonderful - but I also love being in the kitchen. I collect cookbooks and have written one myself.
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 12 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Pour melted butter in a baking pan. Stir in pecans. Toast at 350° for 10 minutes. Set aside to cool. , In a bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add 1 egg at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine flour, baking powder and salt; add to creamed mixture alternately with milk. Stir in vanilla and 1 cup toasted pecans. Pour batter into 2 greased and floured 8-in. round baking pans. Bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely. , Meanwhile, for frosting, cream butter and sugar. Add milk and vanilla, beating until light and fluffy. Add additional milk if needed. Stir in remaining toasted pecans. Spread between the layers and over the top and sides of the cake.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 534 calories, Fat 27g fat (11g saturated fat), Cholesterol 80mg cholesterol, Sodium 280mg sodium, Carbohydrate 71g carbohydrate (51g sugars, Fiber 2g fiber), Protein 5g protein.
SOUTHERN PECAN PRALINE CAKE
- Grease and flour three nine-inch round cake pans and preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream the butter with both granulated sugar and light brown sugar until very light and fluffy, then add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift the flour with the baking powder, baking soda and salt and add to the batter alternately with the milk, beginning and ending with the dry mixture. Stir in the vanilla extract.
- Divide batter evenly among the prepared pans and bake in the center of the preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center of the layers comes out clean. Cool layers in their pans over a rack for ten minutes, then loosen and turn out layers directly onto racks for cooling. Cool layers thoroughly before icing.
- For the icing, melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Remove from heat, then stir in granulated sugar and light brown sugar. (Sugars will not dissolve).
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks with the evaporated milk until smooth, then whisk this mixture into the saucepan with the sugar mixture. Return saucepan to a medium heat setting and cook, whisking constantly, until mixture is thick, shiny and caramel-like, about 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract and pecans.
- Cool icing to a good spreading consistency (about 30 minutes), then spread evenly between cooled cake layers and over the top and sides of the cake.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 1007.8, Fat 55.5, SaturatedFat 25.2, Cholesterol 246.9, Sodium 576.2, Carbohydrate 119.3, Fiber 3.1, Sugar 83.2, Protein 13
THE BEST BUTTER PECAN CAKE
This cake is a bit of work, but it's so worth it! Top with your favorite brand of butter pecan ice cream and you'll think you've died and gone to heaven!
Provided by yooper
Yield 12-16 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Prepare the pecans: Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Put the 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) of butter in a shallow baking pan with the chopped pecans and put the pan in the oven for 15- 20 minutes, stirring the pecans and melted butter every few minutes, until the fragrance is wonderfully toasty.
- Watch carefully near the end to avoid burning.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Grease and flour three 8 or 9-inch round layer cake pans.
- Prepare the cake: In the large bowl of an electric mixer, cream the 3/4 cup (1 1/2) sticks of butter.
- Beat in the 2 cups of sugar, creaming well.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add the 2 teaspoons of vanilla to the milk.
- Beat the flour mixture into the batter in thirds, alternating with the milk mixture.
- Fold in 1 1/3 cups of the butter-toasted pecans into the cake batter.
- Divide batter equally into the prepared pans.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Cool and remove from pans.
- Prepare the frosting: Melt 1 1/2 tablespoons of the butter in a medium saucepan over low-medium heat and stir in the flour.
- Stir until all of the flour has been moistened or at least colored a little by the butter.
- Stir in the milk just a little at a time, stirring constantly and incorporating all the milk each time before adding more, working to incorporate all the flour and avoid lumps.
- Continue until all the milk is in and the mixture is thickened and smooth.
- Transfer to the small bowl of an electric mixer, and beat to remove any lumps you missed.
- Cool completely.
- When the flour mixture is cool, beat in the teaspoon of vanilla, then the softened butter.
- Add the 1 cup of sugar, and beat 2 minutes at medium speed, until the mixture is fluffy and no graininess from sugar remains.
- Fold in the fat-free Cool Whip and the remaining 2/3 cup of butter-toasted pecans.
- Fill and frost the top of the cake.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 702, Fat 39.6, SaturatedFat 17.2, Cholesterol 137.2, Sodium 461.8, Carbohydrate 81.2, Fiber 2.7, Sugar 51, Protein 8.9
More about "southern pecan cake recipes"
BUTTER PECAN CAKE RECIPE - TASTE OF SOUTHERN
Servings 12-16Total Time 1 hr 15 minsCategory Desserts
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes, or until lightly toasted. Stir often, do not allow to burn.
SOUTHERN PECAN PRALINE CAKE RECIPE - THE ANTHONY KITCHEN
PECAN PIE CAKE - SOUTHERN PLATE
SOUTHERN PECAN POUND CAKE RECIPE - EASY AND YUMMY DESSERT!
SOUTHERN PECAN PRALINE CAKE WITH BUTTER SAUCE
SWEET ALABAMA PECAN CAKE - THERESCIPES.INFO
SOUTHERN PECAN POUND CAKE - FOOD GARDENING NETWORK
40 CHARMINGLY DECADENT SOUTHERN CAKE RECIPES | TASTE OF …
SOUTHERN BUTTER PECAN POUND CAKE - SOULFULLY MADE
SOUTHERN PECAN POUND CAKE (+VIDEO) - THE COUNTRY COOK
SOUTHERN PECAN PRALINE CAKE WITH BUTTER SAUCE (+VIDEO)
MK HENNIGAN'S SOUTHERN PECAN CARAMEL CAKE - SCHERMER PECANS
25 BEST SOUTHERN DESSERTS - INSANELY GOOD RECIPES
NANA’S SOUTHERN PECAN PRALINE SHEET CAKE - ERMHEARTS
PECAN PIE CAKE - SPICY SOUTHERN KITCHEN
SOUTHERN PRALINE CAKE | IMPERIAL SUGAR - RECIPES
SOUTHERN UPSIDE-DOWN PECAN CAKE - KITCHEN FUN WITH MY 3 SONS
SOUTHERN PECAN CAKE - RECIPES | COOKS.COM
SOUTHERN BUTTER PECAN POUND CAKE > CALL ME PMC
SOUTHERN BUTTER PECAN CAKE - YOUTUBE
BROWN SUGAR PECAN POUND CAKE (A SOUTHERN FAV!) - DINNER, THEN …
BROWNED BUTTER PECAN LAYER CAKE - THERESCIPES.INFO
SOUTHERN PECAN PRALINE CAKE – CAN'T STAY OUT OF THE KITCHEN
BOURBON CAKE RECIPE: AUTHENTIC SOUTHERN STYLE - RESTLESS CHIPOTLE
SOUTHERN PECAN PRALINE SHEET CAKE RECIPE - DIY JOY
EASY SOUTHERN PECAN BREAD RECIPE | COOKIES AND CUPS
SOUTHERN CARMEL NUT CAKE — IN THE CURIOUS KITCHEN
BUTTERMILK PECAN COFFEE CAKE - SOUTHERN BITE
SOUTHERN BUTTER PECAN PRALINE CAKE RECIPE - SWEET PEA'S KITCHEN
SOUTHERN PECAN BUTTERMILK POUND CAKE | SYRUP AND BISCUITS
SOUTHERN PECAN PRALINE CAKE | GRITSANDPINECONES.COM
SOUTHERN BUTTER PECAN POUND CAKE WITH MAPLE GLAZE
SOUTHERN PECAN PRALINE CAKE - BAKECELLENCE
SOUTHERN BUTTERMILK CAKE : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST - BESTDOGWIKI
BUTTER PECAN CAKE WITH PECAN FROSTING | SOUTHERN LIVING
SOUTHERN PRALINE BUNDT CAKE - SPICY SOUTHERN KITCHEN
SOUTHERN PECAN PRALINE SHEET CAKE - YUMMY RECIPES
CARAMEL PECAN UPSIDE-DOWN CAKE - SOUTHERN BITE
SOUTHERN PECAN CINNAMON CAKE - TEECCINO
RUM SOAKED SOUTHERN COCONUT PECAN CAKE - NOT ENTIRELY AVERAGE
SOUTHERN PECAN PRALINE CAKE RECIPE - KITCHEN FUN WITH MY 3 SONS
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you make a pecan cake?Preheat oven to 325F degrees. Spray a 12-cup Angel Food Cake Pan with nonstick cooking spray. In a small bowl, combine 1 cup chopped pecans with 1 tablespoon flour. Stir well then set aside. In a medium bowl, combine 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour and 1 teaspoon baking powder. Set aside.
What is a Southern Pecan pound cake?This classic Southern Pecan Pound Cake Recipe is a moist and tender brown sugar pecan pound cake packed with butter pecan flavor! It's a perfect blend of traditional pound cake filled with crunchy toasted pecans in every bite! Butter pecan anything is so popular in the south, and for good reason. It's simply delicious!
How to make pecan butter cookies?In a small bowl, combine 1 cup chopped pecans with 1 tablespoon of flour. Stir well then set aside. In a medium bowl, combine 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour and 1 teaspoon of baking powder. Set aside. In the bowl of an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar together until fluffy.
How do you make granulated pecans in the oven?Preheat oven to 325°. In a small bowl toss pecans with ¼ cup flour Beat butter on medium speed with a stand or hand mixer. Gradually add in granulated and brown sugar and beat until light and fluffy (3 to 5 minutes). Add eggs in 1 at a time, beating until just blended. Stir in vanilla.