SPELT PIE CRUST
Makes 2 pie crusts. The secret to flaky crust is to mix the dough just enough to incorporate the ingredients then stop. Often I add a dash of vinegar in the ice water, it's a matter of personal preference.
Provided by Spud Nut
Yield 2 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 5
- Sift together flour and salt.
- Cut in butter and shortening with pastry knife until pieces are size of small peas.
- Sprinkle in 1 tbsp water at a time. Gently mix. Repeat until all is moist and forms a ball.
- For 2 pie crusts, cut ball in half - one for each pie crust.
- On lightly floured surface, flatten ball with rolling pin and roll to desired thickness.
- Transfer to pie tin or this dough also may be filled with meats/or fruit.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 572.4, Fat 64.8, SaturatedFat 27.9, Cholesterol 81.3, Sodium 1381.2, Protein 0.3
EASY VEGAN SPELT PIE CRUST
- In a food processor add the 3 cups of spelt flour and salt. Process for a minute to incorporate the flour and salt.
- Combine the non-dairy milk and light oil in a cup and mix well. I use a whisk to do this. Then feed the milk-oil mixture through the feeding tube in the food processor and into the flour mixture. The dough should be in large crumbles. At this point, stop the machine and feel the dough. It shouldn't be sticky or dry, but a little oily and hold together well. Try not to handle the dough too much as it tends to toughen the dough.
- Once you have the right consistency remove the dough crumbles onto a prepared surface to roll out your dough. I use a large plastic sheet, but waxed paper can also be used. I try to avoid using a floured surface as it will make the dough dry. I have found that with this dough that it isn't necessary.
- Shape the dough into a disc and cut it in half. Reshape the first piece of dough into a disc and roll it out. I wrap the dough around my rolling pin then place it onto the pie pan and unroll. Once I have the dough in place I position it carefully but do not stretch it, it will shrink. I prick the sides and bottom of the bottom crust.
- Fill the pie with the desired ingredients and roll out the second disc of dough and put it on top.
- Flute the edges with a fork and then trim the pie crust edges. Brush the pie with some of the non-dairy milk and then make slits in the top crust to let out the steam.
- Bake according to the type of pie you are making.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 8, Fat 0.3, Sodium 299.1, Carbohydrate 0.8, Fiber 0.2, Sugar 0.1, Protein 0.7
SPELT PIZZA DOUGH
The 'ancient grain' spelt is related to modern wheat, but it's actually an entirely different species. From what I hear, it's easier to digest, higher in protein and fiber, and to me at least, has a much better flavor and texture than other whole-wheat flours. Top with favorite pizza toppings!
Provided by Chef John
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Whisk 1 cup flour, water, honey, and yeast together in a bowl. Let stand until yeast softens and mixture is bubbly, about 20 minutes.
- Stir remaining flour, olive oil, and salt into yeast mixture. Beat mixture in a bowl with an electric mixer fitted with a dough hook attachment, adding more flour as necessary, until a soft and tacky dough forms, 3 to 4 minutes. Place dough in mixing bowl with a little olive oil, cover bowl with a plate, and let rise until doubled in size, 90 minutes.
- Punch dough down and transfer to a lightly floured work surface. Divide into 4 balls; cover each and let rest until dough rises slightly, 30 to 45 minutes. Roll into desired shapes and thickness.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 346.9 calories, Carbohydrate 66.7 g, Fat 5 g, Fiber 3.4 g, Protein 12.7 g, SaturatedFat 0.5 g, Sodium 485.8 mg, Sugar 6.1 g
More about "spelt pie crust recipes"
THE BEST SPELT PIE CRUST RECIPE - MY NATURAL FAMILY
5/5 (3)Category DessertCuisine Clean EatingCalories 127 per serving
- Add the butter and break into small pieces with a pastry cutter. Alternately, you may pulse the dough in a food processor.
- Add the milk and incorporate by hand just until a dough forms. You will know it is done when you hold a small piece between your two fingers and it sticks together. You want to be able to see small chunk of butter because they will form layers when you are baking the crust and make it nice and flaky.
SPELT PIE CRUST - EVERYDAY PIE
5/5 (3)Category BasicsCuisine Pie DoughTotal Time 10 mins
ALL-BUTTER WHOLE GRAIN SPELT FLOUR PIE CRUST | FOODAL
Reviews 11Category PieCuisine DessertTotal Time 1 hr 30 mins
BASIC SPELT PIE CRUST RECIPE FOR NORDIC PIES AND QUICHE
3.5/5 (50)Total Time 2 hrsCategory Dessert, Pies, PieCalories 133 per serving
HEALTHY PIE CRUST | NATURALLY OIL-FREE & VEGAN - A VIRTUAL VEGAN
MAPLE PECAN PIE WITH CINNAMON SPELT CRUST - GATHER & FEAST
SPELT PIZZA DOUGH - THE CONSCIOUS PLANT KITCHEN - TCPK
EASY SPELT PIE CRUST | RECIPE | PIE CRUST, RECIPES, FOOD PROCESSOR …
SPELT PIE CRUST RECIPE | SPARKRECIPES
VEGAN SPELT PIE CRUST - 84TH&3RD
SPELT PIE CRUST — CAKE, COOKIE, PIE FEST
PEAR PIE WITH GINGER CARAMEL AND SPELT CRUST - CLOUDY KITCHEN
PUMPKIN PIE WITH SPELT FLOUR CRUST RECIPE - VERY GOOD COOK
OIL-FREE SPELT ALMOND FLOUR PIE CRUST - VIDAL SPEAKS
HOW TO MAKE A PIE CRUST WITH SPELT (SHORTCRUST PASTRY
CHICKEN AND VEGETABLE PIE WITH A SPELT CRUST | THE HEALTHY …
SPELT PIE CRUST WITH VIDEO | RECIPE | SPELT RECIPES, SPELT FLOUR ...
SPELT CRUST RECIPE: GET HEALTHY PIZZAS AT HOME - CHATELAINE
APPLE PIE WITH SPELT CRUST | LEMONS + ANCHOVIES
SPELT FLOUR PIE CRUST - NATURE'S LEGACY
SPELT PIE CRUST | RECIPES WIKI - FANDOM
BEST SPELT PIE CRUST RECIPE - MSN
SPELT PIE CRUST – NEW COOKERY RECIPES
BEST SPELT RECIPES AND SPELT COOKING IDEAS - THE DAILY MEAL
SPELT FLOUR PIE CRUST - A RED SPATULA
HONEY-SWEETENED APPLE PIE WITH SPELT CRUST - NOURISHING DAYS
THE BEST SPELT PIE CRUST RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
PEACH PIE WITH SPELT CRUST - NATURE'S LEGACY
SPELT FLOUR PIE CRUST RECIPE – NEW COOKERY RECIPES
SPELT SOUR CHERRY PIE RECIPE BY SHANNON DARNALL - THE DAILY MEAL
SPROUTED WHOLE GRAIN SPELT PIE CRUST - SECOND SPRING
HOW TO MAKE A FROM-SCRATCH PIE CRUST - LIVE SIMPLY
WHOLE SPELT PIE CRUST - 84TH&3RD
SPELT PIZZA CRUST RECIPE : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST - BESTDOGWIKI
TRADITIONAL APPLE PIE WITH SPROUTED SPELT CRUST - SECOND SPRING
SPELT PIE CRUST - EVERYDAY PIE | RECIPE | PIE CRUST, SWEET PIE, …
SPELT PIE CRUST - EVERYDAY PIE | RECIPE | SPELT RECIPES, PIE CRUST ...
BUCKWHEAT PIE CRUST - LIFE WITH JANET
TRADITIONAL TOURTIERE PIE WITH FLAKY SPELT PIE PASTRY
SPELT SOUR CHERRY PIE FOR MARK - WEST OF THE LOOP
SPROUTED SPELT PIE CRUST - PURELIVING
SPELT FLOUR PIZZA CRUST : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST - BESTDOGWIKI
SPELT PIE CRUST - UNDER A TIN ROOF
#30-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #preparation #for-1-or-2 #5-ingredients-or-less #pies-and-tarts #desserts #easy #crusts-pastry-dough-2 #number-of-servings
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you make spelt flour pie crust?Use this spelt flour pie crust recipe for a quiche base, savoury tart, sweet tart or fruit flan. PASTRY mix the flour and butter together with your fingertips until it looks like small breadcrumbs. Then add in the water and egg until combined into a firm dough. You can use your stand mixer but I find that the result by hand is far superior.
Can You overwork a spelt pie crust?Overworking the pastry results in a pie crust that is too dense. If you decide to use a food processor instead of mixing the ingredients by hand, chill the food processor bowl and blade and only use the pulse function to prevent overprocessing. Like all pie crusts, this spelt crust needs to be chilled for at least 30 minutes before rolling it out.
How do you make a spelt cake with oat flour?Combine the oat flour, spelt flour, baking powder, coconut sugar and salt in large mixing bowl. Cut the butter into small pieces with a knife then add to the dry mix and work it with either a pastry cutter or pulse it with a food processor until it resembles fine crumbs. Add the milk and mix by hand or with the food processor.
How do you make cubed butter with spelt flour?Whisk together the spelt flour and salt in a large bowl. Use a pastry cutter to cut and mix the cubed butter into the flour and salt mixture, mixing it quickly to keep the butter cold, until each bit of butter is entirely coated in flour.