SPOON BREAD TAMALE BAKE
"This is a favorite comfort food for my family on winter nights-and all year round! Make it ahead for convenience, then pop in the oven to bake about an hour before dinner," suggests Marjorie Mersereau of Corvallis, Oregon.
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 8 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 19
- In a Dutch oven coated with cooking spray, cook the beef, onion, green pepper and garlic over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain. Stir in the tomatoes, corn, olives, chili powder, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes., Combine cornmeal and water until smooth; gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Transfer to a 2-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray., In a small saucepan, bring 1 cup milk to a boil. Combine the cornmeal, salt and remaining milk; slowly whisk into boiling milk. Cook and stir until mixture returns to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 3-4 minutes or until slightly thickened., Remove from the heat; stir in cheese and butter until melted. Stir in egg substitute. Pour over meat mixture. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 30-40 minutes or until topping is lightly browned.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 331 calories, Fat 12g fat (6g saturated fat), Cholesterol 55mg cholesterol, Sodium 754mg sodium, Carbohydrate 30g carbohydrate (7g sugars, Fiber 4g fiber), Protein 25g protein. Diabetic Exchanges
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Heat the oil in a 10-inch cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Add the beef, onions, garlic and 1 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring and breaking up any clumps with a wooden spoon, until the meat is brown and the onions are softened, about 6 minutes. Add the tomato paste, chili powder and cumin and cook, stirring, about 1 minute. Stir in the enchilada sauce, beans, corn and cilantro and season with salt. Bring to a simmer. Remove from the heat and sprinkle with the cheese.
- Add the cornmeal to a mixing bowl. Mix in the buttermilk and oil. You want the mixture to be thick but pourable. Stir in the scallions. Pour on top of the meat mixture in the skillet and spread in an even layer. Bake until the meat is bubbling and the cornbread is golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
CORNBREAD TAMALE PIE
This recipe came to The Times in a 2006 magazine article about the 75th anniversary edition of The Joy of Cooking, the soup-to-nuts cookbook found on practically every home cook's shelf since its first publication in 1931. Like many of the book's beloved recipes, this dish is a crowd-pleasing, homespun classic that is incredibly simple to put together. First, make a quick chili of beef, black beans, corn, green pepper and onion seasoned with chile power and cumin. Spread that in a baking dish, top with a simple cornbread batter and pop it into the oven. In about a half hour: tamale pie. Serve with hot sauce, a dollop of sour cream and a few slices of avocado. If you're trying to eat less red meat, ground turkey or chicken would make a fine substitute for the beef.
Provided by Jennifer Steinhauer
Categories dinner, main course
Yield 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 18
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Grease a 3-quart high-sided casserole dish with cooking spray. In a large skillet, saute the beef and onion over medium-high heat until the meat is brown and the onion translucent, about 10 minutes. Then add the beans, corn, tomato sauce, broth, bell pepper (if using), chili powder, cumin, 1 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper. Simmer for 15 minutes. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder and teaspoon salt. In a small bowl whisk together the egg, milk and oil until combined. Whisk the milk mixture into the flour mixture until combined. Spread the meat mixture into the casserole dish and cover with the corn bread topping. The topping will disappear into the meat mixture but will rise during baking and form a layer of corn bread. Bake until the corn bread is brown, 20 to 25 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 445, UnsaturatedFat 14 grams, Carbohydrate 37 grams, Fat 24 grams, Fiber 5 grams, Protein 21 grams, SaturatedFat 7 grams, Sodium 678 milligrams, Sugar 8 grams, TransFat 1 gram
SPOON BREAD TAMALE PIE RECIPE
Provided by á-49759
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Brown ground beef. Add onion and garlic, cook until tender. Add corn, salsa, chili powder, salt, pepper and Worcestershire. Cook until thickened. Prepare topping: Bring to a boil 1 cup milk, 1/2 tsp salt dash chili powder, 2 tbsp butter. Gradually stir in 1/3 cup yellow cornmeal. Cook and stir until thick. Stir in lightly beaten egg and 1 cup shredded cheddar. Mix thoroughly. Turn meat into 1 1/2 qt shallow casserole. Top with spoonbread topping. Bake at 375 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until browned and bubbly.
SPOON BREAD TAMALE PIE
One of favourite comfort food! Flavourful meat base with smooth cheesy spoon bread topping - yum. I don't know where the recipe came from but it's been with me for more than 30 years. I like to double the topping for a real comforting meal. The dish can be prepared and stored in the fridge ready to pop into the oven for a delicious after work meal.
Provided by Jill Johnston
Yield 6-8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Brown the meat, sauté the onions and peppers. Add the garlic, salt, pepper, tomatoes, corn and chili powder and simmer for 5 minute Stir in 1/2 c cornmeal and 1 c water. Transfer to a casserole dish.
- Heat the milk with the 1 tsp salt and butter and stir in 1/2 c cornmeal. Cook until thick. Stir in the cheese and beaten eggs. Pour over the meat mixture.
- Bake uncovered at 350°F for 1 hour or until he topping is cooked to a cake-like consistency.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 537.5, Fat 29, SaturatedFat 12.9, Cholesterol 173.3, Sodium 904, Carbohydrate 38.1, Fiber 4.8, Sugar 6.6, Protein 33.2
SOUTHWEST TAMALE PIE
I found this in a quick cooking magazine and it is so good and so easy. Most tamale pies seem dry but not this one. It is cheesy and tasty!
Provided by children from A to Z
Categories Savory Pies
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- In a large skillet, cook beef and onion until beef is no longer pink; drain.
- Measure 1/2 cup green chile sauce sauce; set aside.
- Add remaining sauce to ground beef. Stir in taco seasoning and water. Bring to a boil.
- Stir in corn and olives. Spoon into a greased deep dish pie plate or a 1.5 quart casserole dish. Sprinkle with 1 cup of cheese.
- In a bowl, combine corn bread mix, egg and the reserved chile sauce; mix well.
- Spoon over cheese layer.
- Bake 400 degrees for 25 minute or until corn bread is done.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese. (I use extra cheese for the top).
Nutrition Facts : Calories 741.2, Fat 41.3, SaturatedFat 18, Cholesterol 175.6, Sodium 1127.2, Carbohydrate 53.6, Fiber 5.7, Sugar 2, Protein 38.9
ONE-PAN TAMALE PIE
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Mix cornbread mix, milk, and egg together in a bowl until smooth.
- Combine ground beef, onion, and jalapeno pepper in a large oven-proof skillet; cook and stir until beef is browned, about 5 minutes. Stir in enchilada sauce, salsa, corn, and chipotle pepper until heated through, about 5 minutes. Pour cornbread batter on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven until top is golden brown, about 40 minutes. Sprinkle Cheddar cheese over the top. Continue baking until cheese is melted, about 5 minutes more. Let stand 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 557.3 calories, Carbohydrate 44.7 g, Cholesterol 140.1 mg, Fat 26.6 g, Fiber 3 g, Protein 34.4 g, SaturatedFat 9.4 g, Sodium 966.5 mg, Sugar 3 g
EASY TAMALE PIE
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Butter an 8-inch baking or casserole dish.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Cook and stir ground beef and onion in the hot skillet until beef is browned and crumbly, 5 to 7 minutes. Mix in corn, tomatoes, oil, chili powder, and cumin. Bring to a boil; remove from heat.
- Combine milk, cornmeal, and eggs in a large bowl. Stir in meat mixture. Mix in olives. Pour into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake in the preheated oven until golden and set, 50 to 60 minutes; mixture should not be mushy.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 367.1 calories, Carbohydrate 30.7 g, Cholesterol 93.9 mg, Fat 22.2 g, Fiber 4 g, Protein 13.7 g, SaturatedFat 6 g, Sodium 656.6 mg, Sugar 6.7 g
To accommodate the time constraints of modern life, more and more Thanksgiving dinner hosts are proposing potluck. The change has caused a subtle shift in the conversations about the approaching holidays. The traditional complaints -- "Aaugh! My mother-in-law's cooking!" -- have been updated: "She's asked everybody to bring something. Well, at least there'll be one thing we can eat."
Provided by Molly O'Neill
Categories casseroles, side dish
Yield 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 17
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly grease a 13-by-9-inch pan or a 5-quart casserole with 1 tablespoon butter.
- Puree corn and set aside. In a large heavy-bottomed pan, melt the pound of butter over medium heat. Add flour and cornmeal and stir until smooth. Using a wire whisk, beat in milk and eggs. Add corn puree and cook for 5 minutes, until thick.
- Pour two-thirds of the corn mixture into the prepared pan. Put in oven and bake until the top is brown and set, about 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a skillet, saute onion and pepper in the oil until soft. Add the beef and cook until brown, about 5 minutes. Drain excess oil from skillet. Add tomatoes, beans, Tabasco, cumin, cayenne, oregano and salt. Cook, stirring, for about 5 minutes and remove from heat.
- Remove cornmeal mixture from oven and, with a slotted spoon, top with the meat mixture. Using a spatula, spread remaining uncooked cornmeal mixture over the meat. Return to oven and bake until the top is light brown and set, about 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let rest about 15 minutes before cutting. Casserole can be stored, covered, in the refrigerator for a week. Reheat for 15 minutes in a 350-degree oven before serving.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 1124, UnsaturatedFat 28 grams, Carbohydrate 86 grams, Fat 75 grams, Fiber 11 grams, Protein 33 grams, SaturatedFat 39 grams, Sodium 1202 milligrams, Sugar 14 grams, TransFat 3 grams
More about "spoon bread tamale pie recipes"
TAMALE PIE WITH JIFFY CORN MUFFIN MIX RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
BEST TAMALE PIE RECIPE FOR YOUR NEXT CAMPOUT - MARIE BOSTWICK
CORNBREAD TAMALE PIE IS THE GREATEST RECIPE OF ALL TIME
MEXICALI SPOON BREAD CASSEROLE RECIPE
SPOONBREAD TAMALE PIE - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
TAMALE PIE WITH SPOON BREAD | CHICKENS IN THE ROAD
Reviews 6Estimated Reading Time 4 mins
BEST WESTERN FOOD RECIPES: SPOON BREAD TAMALE PIE
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST TAMALE PIE CASSEROLE - MAMAGOURMAND
TAMALE PIE RECIPE - FOOD CHANNEL
TAMALE PIE - KITCHEN DREAMING
TAMALE PIE WITH SPOON BREAD | CHICKENS IN THE ROAD
SPOONBREAD TAMALI PIE - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
TAMALE PIE WITH SPOON BREAD | RECIPES, HOMEMADE HAMBURGER …
TAMALE PIE - THE SEASONED MOM
TAMALE PIE - FARM BELL RECIPES
SIMPLE SKILLET TAMALE PIE RECIPE - ANAFFAIRFROMTHEHEART.COM
TAMALE PIE RECIPE - DINNER AT THE ZOO
RECIPE: SPOON BREAD TAMALE PIE - RECIPELINK.COM
THE BEST TAMALE PIE. - THE 2 SPOONS
EASY TAMALE PIE - 2TEASPOONS
ONE PAN TAMALE PIE | EASY DINNER RECIPE FOR FAMILY
TAMALE PIE | KING ARTHUR BAKING
TAMALE PIE RECIPE WITH CORNMEAL RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
TAMALE SPOON BREAD CASSEROLE RECIPE - RECIPEZAZZ.COM
IMG_1925 | SPOON BREAD, TAMALE PIE, SPOONBREAD RECIPE
TAMALE PIE - PRACTICALLY HOMEMADE
WHAT TO SERVE WITH TAMALE PIE? 9 BEST SIDES – HAPPY MUNCHER
SPOON BREAD TAMALE PIE - CHAMPSDIET.COM
BEST CORNBREAD TAMALE PIE RECIPE - THE ANTHONY KITCHEN
TAMALE PIE (FREEZER FRIENDLY!) - SPEND WITH PENNIES
TAMALE PIE FOR A CROWD - THERESCIPES.INFO
TAMALE PIE! | FEASTING AT HOME
TAMALE PIE - ONION RINGS & THINGS
TAMALE PIE - CAMPBELL SOUP COMPANY
TAMALE PIE WITH CORNBREAD CRUST RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
TAMALE PIE | CARNATION® - BAKING AND SAVORY RECIPES
BEST TAMALE PIE - HOW TO MAKE TAMALE PIE | DINNER FOR TWO
#time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #north-american #casseroles #main-dish #beef #eggs-dairy #american #southwestern-united-states #oven #easy #cheese #eggs #dietary #gluten-free #inexpensive #ground-beef #free-of-something #meat #equipment #3-steps-or-less #4-hours-or-less
You'll also love