SICILIAN STEAMED LEEKS
I love the challenge of developing recipes for my garden leeks, a delicious underused vegetable. This Italian-flavored dish is a family favorite. -Roxanne Chan, Albany, California
Provided by Taste of Home
Categories Side Dishes
Yield 6 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 11
- In a Dutch oven, place steamer basket over 1 in. of water. Place leeks in basket. Bring water to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a low boil; steam, covered, until tender, 8-10 minutes. Meanwhile, combine the next 9 ingredients. Transfer leeks to a serving platter. Spoon tomato mixture over top; sprinkle with cheese.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 83 calories, Fat 2g fat (0 saturated fat), Cholesterol 0 cholesterol, Sodium 77mg sodium, Carbohydrate 16g carbohydrate (6g sugars, Fiber 3g fiber), Protein 2g protein. Diabetic Exchanges
QUICK STEAMED SPINACH
- Wash spinach in several changes of cold water until free of sand. Remove stems.
- Place a metal steamer in a medium saucepan filled with 1 inch of water. Bring to a boil. Add spinach, cover, and steam for about 3 minutes, or until just wilted. Remove from steamer; season with lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Toss with butter if desired.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 35 g, Cholesterol 3 g, Fat 1 g, Fiber 3 g, Protein 3 g
STEAMED LEEKS & PEAS WITH HERBY VINAIGRETTE
Honey, mustard and herbs add flavour to simple steamed vegetables - a healthy side dish that's low fat and easy to make in just 15 minutes
Provided by Sara Buenfeld
Categories Side dish
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Trim the outer leaves from the leeks and cut off the top down to where the leaves split. Cut the leeks into 3-4 chunks, then wash really well to remove any grit. Heat a steamer, add the leeks and cook for 8 mins. Tip in the peas and cook for 2-3 mins more until both are tender.
- Meanwhile, whisk the oil, vinegar, honey, mustard and seasoning together in a serving bowl to make the vinaigrette. Add the hot vegetables and herbs, and mix well.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 112 calories, Fat 5 grams fat, SaturatedFat 1 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 8 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 4 grams sugar, Fiber 7 grams fiber, Protein 5 grams protein, Sodium 0.1 milligram of sodium
POTATO, LEEK, AND SPINACH SOUP
- Put leeks in a bowl with enough water to cover completely. Soak until you're ready to cook them.
- Heat a large pot over medium-high heat. Fry bacon in hot pot until crisp, 5 to 7 minutes. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon to a plate lined with paper towel to drain. Remove all but 2 tablespoons bacon drippings from the pot.
- Drain leeks and shake vigorously to dry. Fry leeks and garlic in the reserved bacon drippings until translucent, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir potatoes with the leeks; add bay leaves. Pour the carton of chicken stock over the potatoes; bring to a simmer and cook until the potatoes are tender, 10 to 15 minutes. Season soup with salt and pepper.
- Scoop about half the potatoes, leeks, and garlic into a food processor bowl with enough liquid to cover; process until pureed. Stir puree, bacon, spinach, and half-and-half into the soup; continue heating until again hot, 1 to 2 minutes. Add chicken broth from the can or half-and-half to achieve your desired consistency.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 232.3 calories, Carbohydrate 24.5 g, Cholesterol 30.2 mg, Fat 10.8 g, Fiber 2.6 g, Protein 10.3 g, SaturatedFat 4.5 g, Sodium 1171.1 mg, Sugar 2.8 g
STEAMED LEEKS & SPINACH
Spinach & leeks are a great flavor combination. You may want to adjust the lemon with the oil to suit your taste. Season with salt & pepper just before serving or leave it up to the individual to do it at the table. If you don't want to steam or microwve this recipe make it in a Wok or skillet -Pour 1/2 cup of chicken stock or wine into the wok medium heat, add leeks & tarragon cover with a lid. It will steam and brown nicely (apprx 7 minutes). Three minutes before serving add the spinach. You may need to add a bit more moisture, squeeze on the lemon juice cover for 3 minutes or until the spinach is wilted and hot through - Mix well with the leeks. Enjoy. My two photos shown are using a wok to prepare this recipe. I do not use any oil with this recipe just the lemon juice.
Provided by Bergy
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Place the leeks in a steamer with the tarragon and steam for 7 minutes.
- Add spinach and continue to steam for 3 more minutes or until the spinach is wilted and hot Whip the oil& lemon juice together.
- Place leeks and spinach on a platter and drizzle with the oil/lemon.
LEEKS & SPINACH
- Trim the leeks, leaving only the white and pale green parts.
- Slice them in half lenthwise, then in short slices crosswise.
- Wash them again and drain them well.
- In a large skillet, saute the leeks in the butter until they soften and begin to fall apart, then stir in the flour.
- Add the stock and season lightly with salt and nutmeg stirring well.
- Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, wash the spinach and pick it over.
- Drain it well and chop it finely.
- Add the spinach to the leeks and simmer for a further 5 minutes, stirring to ensure the spinach is evenly cooked.
More about "steamed leeks spinach recipes"
STEAMED SPINACH WITH GARLIC AND LEMON - HEALTHY …
5/5 (72)Calories 78 per servingCategory Side Dish
SAUTéED SPINACH AND LEEKS - FAMILY FOOD ON THE TABLE
4.3/5 (44)Total Time 13 minsCategory Side DishesCalories 42 per serving
STEAMED CLAMS WITH LEEKS, GARLIC, THYME, WHITE WINE, AND ...
STEAMED FISH ON SPINACH RECIPE | EAT SMARTER USA
Servings 4Total Time 25 mins
STEAMED LEEKS WITH MUSTARD-SHALLOT VINAIGRETTE RECIPE ...
4/5 Total Time 35 minsServings 4
- In a saucepan fitted with a steamer basket, bring 1 inch of water to a boil. Add the leeks, cover and steam until just tender, about 5 minutes. Drain the leeks, pat dry and refrigerate until chilled, 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine the shallot with the mustard and the red wine and balsamic vinegars. Whisk in the olive oil and season with salt and black pepper.
- Mound the steamed leeks on plates. Drizzle them with the vinaigrette, sprinkle with the parsley and serve.
SAUTéED KALE WITH LEEKS | STEPHANIE IN THE KITCHEN
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
CHICKEN WITH CHEESE, LEEKS & SPINACH | THE ENGLISH KITCHEN
Servings 4Total Time 45 mins
STEAMED COD WITH LEEKS - LYDIA'S FLEXITARIAN KITCHEN
4.5/5 (2)Category Entree, SeafoodCuisine Spanish
SPICED SPINACH WITH WALNUTS RECIPE - 101 COOKBOOKS
Category Side Dish RecipesTotal Time 22 minsEstimated Reading Time 3 mins
HOW TO STEAM VEGETABLES - BBC GOOD FOOD | RECIPES AND ...
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
STEAMED SPINACH AND LEEKS (R T)
Reviews 1Servings 4Cuisine AmericanCategory Side Dish
STEAM SAUTEED LEEKS - DADCOOKSDINNER
Reviews 3Estimated Reading Time 4 mins
CREAMY COD AND SPINACH - PINCH OF NOM
Category DinnerCalories 232 per servingTotal Time 35 mins
7 WAYS TO USE LEFTOVER VEGETABLES - THE SPRUCE EATS
Occupation Food Writer And Cookbook AuthorEstimated Reading Time 4 mins
STEAMED LEEKS WITH SPINACH AND HALOUMI | RECIPE IN 2021 ...
SIMPLE STEAMED SPINACH
STEAMED LEEKS AND SPINACH RECIPES
STEAMED LEEKS WITH SPINACH AND HALOUMI RECIPE | EAT YOUR BOOKS
STEAMED LEEKS & SPINACH RECIPE - HEALTHY.FOOD.COM | RECIPE ...
STEAMED LEEKS RECIPES | RECIPEBRIDGE RECIPE SEARCH
CREAMED SPINACH LEEK CASSEROLE | CANADIAN LIVING
STEAMED LEEKS & SPINACH RECIPE - HEALTHY.FOOD.COM
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What is the best way to cook spinach and leeks?Heat olive oil in a large pan over medium-low heat. Add leeks and sauté for 3-4 minutes, until softened. Add garlic and sauté an additional 30 seconds. Add spinach and stir for 2-3 minutes until spinach is mostly wilted. Season with salt and pepper, to taste. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese, if using, and serve hot.
How do you cook leeks in boiling water?Place leeks in basket. Bring water to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a low boil; steam, covered, until tender, 8-10 minutes. Meanwhile, combine the next 9 ingredients. Transfer leeks to a serving platter. Spoon tomato mixture over top; sprinkle with cheese.
How to cook leeks in a Dutch oven?In a Dutch oven, place steamer basket over 1 in. of water. Place leeks in basket. Bring water to a boil. Reduce heat to maintain a low boil; steam, covered, until tender, 8-10 minutes. Meanwhile, combine the next 9 ingredients.
How do you make leeks salad dressing?Method Trim the outer leaves from the leeks and cut off the top down to where the leaves split. Cut the leeks into 3-4 chunks, then wash really well to remove any grit. Meanwhile, whisk the oil, vinegar, honey, mustard and seasoning together in a serving bowl to make the vinaigrette. Add the hot vegetables and herbs, and mix well.