Summer squash is a Southern tradition- but we always steam ours, instead of cooking in oil. Use small, tender squash, and enjoy!
Provided by Kizzikate
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 5
- Combine sliced squash & chopped onion in a wire steamer basket, place over gently boiling water. Cover, & let steam.
- 10-12 minutes, until squash is fork-tender. Remove squash and onion to a large serving dish.
- Immediately stir in margarine, pepper, and sugar. Serve hot.
STEAMED YELLOW SQUASH WITH VIDALIA ONIONS
I hesitated to post this recipe because it is so simple. But I didn't see anything like it on recipezaar, so here it is. It uses up things that are often in abundance in the garden, and is really simple and quick...bringing out the best flavors of the vegetables.
Provided by breezermom
Yield 4-5 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 5
- Wash and quarter the squash. Steam in a skillet or saucepan over water until al dente. (Time depends on the size of your squash -- usually about 4-5 minutes.).
- Heat the butter in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Saute the onions until translucent. Add the steamed squash and season with salt and pepper to taste.
SAUTEED YELLOW SQUASH
- Preheat skillet over medium high heat. Add oil, then butter. When butter melts, add red peppers and squash. Saute 12 to 14 minutes until squash is tender. Add salt, pepper and parsley. Add chives or scallions if you would like a layer of light onion flavor on the dish as well.
MASHED YELLOW SQUASH
- Slice and steam or boil squash until tender. Pour off any remaining water.
- Mash the squash slightly. In a medium size pot place mashed squash, onion, butter, milk, salt and pepper. Mix well and heat over a medium flame. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 73.1 calories, Carbohydrate 8.2 g, Cholesterol 10.1 mg, Fat 3.8 g, Fiber 2.2 g, Protein 3.4 g, SaturatedFat 2.3 g, Sodium 37 mg, Sugar 5.8 g
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Trim ends from zucchini. Cut each one in half, then cut each half lengthwise into quarters.
- Place zucchini and garlic into a steamer basket, then place the steamer basket into the pot. Steam for 10 to 15 minutes, or until the zucchini are tender.
- Transfer zucchini to a large bowl. Mash the garlic and put it in the bowl with the zucchini. Drizzle the olive oil into the bowl and toss until the vegetables are coated with oil and garlic.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 59.5 calories, Carbohydrate 6.2 g, Fat 3.7 g, Fiber 2.4 g, Protein 2.4 g, SaturatedFat 0.5 g, Sodium 6.2 mg, Sugar 3.2 g
STEAMED BROCCOLI AND SQUASH
Writes Dorothy Smith of Eldorado, Arkansas, "This hot side dish pairs two colorful vegetables and a savory dressing. I never have leftovers."
Provided by Taste of Home
Categories Side Dishes
Yield 4 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 5
- Combine the broccoli and squash in a steamer basket; place in a saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and steam for 5-8 minutes or until crisp-tender. Meanwhile, combine the remaining ingredients. Remove vegetables from steamer; drizzle with oil mixture and toss to coat.
Nutrition Facts :
More about "steamed yellow squash recipes"
HOW TO STEAM YELLOW SQUASH | LIVESTRONG
- Rinse the yellow squash thoroughly, using a vegetable brush to remove dirt and grit. Cut off both ends of the squash. Don't remove the peel because it contains most of the flavor and nutrients.
- Cut the squash into the desired sizes. You can slice it into rounds or cut it into quarters or chunks; cut the squash into fairly uniform pieces so it cooks evenly.
- Place the squash in a steamer basket or large, heatproof colander. Place the steamer basket in the saucepan. Be sure the water is below the bottom of the basket.
- Cover the saucepan and turn the burner to medium-high so the water continues to boil gently. Steam the squash until you can easily pierce the squash with a fork or the tip of a knife.
- Remove the steamer basket. Let the squash drain, then serve it hot or incorporate it into recipes such as squash casserole. If you don't plan to serve the squash immediately, store it in the refrigerator and use it within three to four days.
STEAMED YELLOW SQUASH RECIPE | MYRECIPES
Servings 4Calories 36 per servingTotal Time 4 mins
STEAM YELLOW SQUASH INSTANT POT - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING ...
STEAMED BROCCOLI AND SQUASH RECIPE
STEAMED ZUCCHINI AND SQUASH RECIPE - CREATE THE MOST ...
STEAMED YELLOW SQUASH AND VIDALIA ONION: IN THE KITCHEN ...
SAVORY STEAMED YELLOW SQUASH WITH ... - PLAIN.RECIPES
10 BEST YELLOW CROOKNECK SQUASH RECIPES | YUMMLY
STEAMED SQUASH RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
RECIPE: PAN-STEAMED YELLOW SQUASH - RECIPELINK.COM
HOW TO COOK SUMMER SQUASH | BETTER HOMES & GARDENS
STEAMED YELLOW SQUASH WITH VIDALIA ONIONS RECIPES - FOOD NEWS
STEAMED YELLOW SQUASH RECIPE - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT ...
HOW TO COOK YELLOW SQUASH - 4 EASY WAYS - FAVORITE …
STEAMED YELLOW SQUASH | EATS & RECIPES
STEAMED YELLOW SQUASH WITH VIDALIA ONIONS - 200,000+ FREE ...
CARBS IN STEAMED YELLOW SQUASH RECIPES | SPARKRECIPES
SQUASH AND ONIONS RECIPE : TASTE OF SOUTHERN
HOW YOU CAN STEAM YELLOW SQUASH - PROPER NUTRITION ...
SQUASH STEAMED - SUMMER/YELLOW SQUASH STEAMED CALORIES ...
MEXICAN STEAMED SQUASH | AUTHENTIC MEXICAN FOOD RECIPES
STEAMED YELLOW SQUASH RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
HOW TO SAUTE SUMMER SQUASH WITH RECIPE - $5 DINNERS
STEAM SAUTEED SUMMER SQUASH - REAL MOM KITCHEN - SIDES
STEAMED YELLOW SQUASH - RECIPES | COOKS.COM
DEEP SOUTH DISH: SMOTHERED SUMMER SQUASH AND ONIONS
HOW TO COOK SUMMER SQUASH~HEALTHY STEAMED YELLOW …
PAN-STEAMED ZUCCHINI AND YELLOW SQUASH NOODLES | DIABETIC ...
STEAMED SUMMER SQUASH & ZUCCHINI RECIPE - CUISINART.COM
MICROWAVE YELLOW SQUASH - BEEYONDCEREAL
STEAMED YELLOW SQUASH RECIPE | EAT YOUR BOOKS
BROCCOLI SPEARS AND YELLOW SQUASH RECIPE | CDKITCHEN.COM
STEAMED SQUASH AND ZUCCHINI - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
STEAMED YELLOW SQUASH WITH VIDALIA ONIONS RECIPE - TEXTCOOK
HOW TO STEAM SQUASH (WITH A DUTCH OVEN OR MICROWAVE)
ALI - YELLOW SQUASH STEAMED CALORIES, CARBS & NUTRITION ...
STEAMED BUTTERNUT SQUASH RECIPE | EATINGWELL
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you steam yellow squash?Steaming yellow squash, either whole, sliced or cut into pieces, is a simple cooking method that preserves much of the vegetable's flavor and nutrient content. Yellow and green steamed squash in a red steamer. Step 1. Rinse the yellow squash thoroughly, using a vegetable brush to remove dirt and grit.
How to cook yellow squash in the microwave?This Steamed Yellow Squash recipe is the definition of quick and easy. Place squash and water in a microwave-safe dish. Cover and cook at HIGH 2 to 2 1/2 minutes or just until squash is tender; drain. Toss with salt, pepper, and butter.
How long to cook squash in boiling water?Combine sliced squash & chopped onion in a wire steamer basket, place over gently boiling water. Cover, & let steam. 10-12 minutes, until squash is fork-tender.
How to cook squash on the stove top?1 Combine sliced squash & chopped onion in a wire steamer basket, place over gently boiling water. Cover, & let steam. 2 10-12 minutes, until squash is fork-tender. Remove squash and onion to a large serving dish. 3 Immediately stir in margarine, pepper, and sugar. Serve hot.