THE BEST BEEF STEW
Our stew has tons of flavor thanks to the herbs, red wine and balsamic vinegar. -Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 6 servings (2-1/4 quarts).
Number Of Ingredients 19
- In a small bowl, toss beef and 1/4 teaspoon salt. In a large bowl, combine 4 tablespoons flour and paprika. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and toss to coat. , In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil over medium heat. Stir in tomato paste, herbes de Provence and garlic; cook until fragrant and color starts to darken slightly. Add wine; cook until mixture just comes to a boil. Simmer until reduced by half, about 5 minutes. Stir in broth, 1 teaspoon rosemary and bay leaves. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until meat is almost tender, about 1-1/2 hours., Add potatoes, onions and carrots. Cover; simmer until meat and vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes longer., Discard bay leaves. In a small bowl, combine remaining 1/2 teaspoon rosemary, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and remaining 2 tablespoon flour. Add cold water and vinegar; stir until smooth. Stir into stew. Bring to a boil; add peas. Cook, stirring, until thickened, about 2 minutes. If desired, top with additional fresh rosemary.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 366 calories, Fat 11g fat (3g saturated fat), Cholesterol 71mg cholesterol, Sodium 605mg sodium, Carbohydrate 40g carbohydrate (9g sugars, Fiber 6g fiber), Protein 28g protein. Diabetic Exchanges
THE BEST BEEF STEW
The deep flavors in our beef stew come from browning the chuck roast in batches and cooking the onions and garlic until they're sweet. Cooking low-and-slow in the oven allows the meat to become completely tender in its rich red wine-laced sauce. This is a great dish to make ahead as its complex flavors intensify overnight.
Provided by Food Network Kitchen
Yield 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 17
- Arrange a rack in the lower third of the oven and preheat to 275 degrees F. Tie the parsley, thyme, rosemary and bay leaves together with kitchen twine.
- Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven or other heavy pot over medium-high heat. Working in batches, cook the beef in a single layer spaced about an inch apart, turning a few times, until the pieces are browned on at least three sides, 8 to 10 minutes per batch. As the beef finishes browning, transfer to a large plate.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Add the onion and garlic to the pot and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are tender and beginning to brown, about 6 minutes. Add the carrots and celery and continue to cook until they are brightly colored and fragrant, about 4 minutes. Stir in the wine, scraping up any browned bits on the bottom of the pot, and cook until it evaporates, about 4 minutes. Sprinkle the vegetables with the flour, stir to evenly coat them and cook for 1 minute. Add the broth, potatoes, tomatoes and the reserved beef with any accumulated juices. Season with 3 tablespoons salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Add the herb bundle and bring the stew to a simmer.
- Cover the pot and then transfer to the oven. Bake until the beef is tender but still holds its shape, 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Let the stew cool for 30 minutes before serving. Discard the herb bundle and serve topped with chopped parsley.
THE BEST BROWNED BEEF STEW EVER
I originally found this recipe at Recipe Goldmine but have added and subtracted after trial and error. The original recipe called for a 10 oz pkg of frozen peas to be added during the last 15 minutes of cooking. I usually add a little rosemary and cayenne. Can add the spices you wish. This is very good!
Provided by Christina Chavez
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Put flour, salt and pepper in a large ziploc bag.
- Heat oil over medium heat in a large dutch oven.
- Place meat in bag with the flour and shake until well coated.
- Shake off meat pieces and add them to the oil and stir until slightly browned, Add remaining flour from the bag and the finely chopped onion.
- Stir until well browned.
- Add finely chopped carrot and next 4 ingredients.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 1 1/2 hours (stirring every 15 minutes).
- Add diced potatoes, carrots, and onions, cook for another 45 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
More about "the best beef stew recipes"
BEST EVER BEEF STEW RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE BEEF STEW
5/5 (61)Calories 275 per serving
- Season with salt and pepper. Add garlic and tomato paste and cook until garlic is fragrant and tomato paste has darkened, 2 minutes.
WORLD'S BEST SAVORY BEEF STEW RECIPES | ALLRECIPES
Author Carl HansonEstimated Reading Time 5 mins
THE BEST BEEF STEW RECIPE | CLASSIC BEEF DINNERS
5/5 (120)Category EntreeServings 8
12 BEST BEEF STEW RECIPES | EASY BEEF STEW RECIPE IDEAS
THE BEST EVER BEEF STEW RECIPE (VIDEO) - TATYANAS EVERYDAY FOOD
PERFECT BEEF STEW - THE SALTY MARSHMALLOW
OLD FASHIONED BEEF STEW - THE DARING GOURMET
THE BEST BEEF STEW (CROCK POT OR INSTANT POT) | GIMME SOME OVEN
CLASSIC BEEF STEW RECIPE (VIDEO) - NATASHASKITCHEN.COM
35 BEST RECIPES USING BEEF STEW MEAT - 730 SAGE STREET
THE ULTIMATE BEEF STEW RECIPE | CANADIAN LIVING
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST BEEF STEW YOU'VE EVER HAD I RECIPE …
BEEF STEW | DINNER | THE BEST BLOG RECIPES
BASIC BEEF STEW RECIPES - THERESCIPES.INFO
EASY BEEF STEW RECIPE | JAMIE OLIVER STEW RECIPES
THE BEST BEEF STEW RECIPES | FOOD & WINE
THE 35 BEST STEW RECIPES - GYPSYPLATE
BEEF STEW WITH CARROTS & POTATOES - ONCE UPON A CHEF
BEEF STEW RECIPES | BBC GOOD FOOD
OUR 15 BEST STEW RECIPES OF ALL TIME ARE THE PERFECT COMFORT FOOD
OLD-FASHIONED BEEF STEW RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
THE BEST BEEF STEW RECIPE - TASTES BETTER FROM SCRATCH
BEST EVER ONE POT BEEF STEW - THE BUSY BAKER
15 RECIPES USING BEEF STEW MEAT - SELECTED RECIPES
BEEF STEW RECIPE - COOKING CLASSY
THE BEST BEEF STEW RECIPE - SWEET & SAVORY
THE BEST HOMEMADE BEEF STEW RECIPE - COOKIN' WITH MIMA
23 HEARTY BEEF STEW RECIPES | EPICURIOUS
HOMEMADE BEEF STEW, BEST BEEF STEW RECIPE | JENNY CAN COOK
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST BEEF STEW | CANADIAN LIVING
THE BEST BEEF STEW - COOP CAN COOK
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST BEEF STEW FROM SCRATCH | KITCHN
OLD FASHIONED STOVETOP BEEF STEW RECIPE - GRANNY'S IN THE KITCHEN
12 BEST RECIPES USING STEW BEEF CUBES (EASY BEEF STEW MEAT …
THE BEST PUB-STYLE BEEF CASSEROLE | IRISH STEW | BEEF ALE PIE | PUFF …
BEEF STEW - THE BEST RECIPE I'VE EVER TASTED BY FAR
HOW TO MAKE THE BEST BEEF STEW RECIPE | FEATURES | JAMIE OLIVER
OLD-FASHIONED BEEF STEW - INSANELY GOOD RECIPES
40 BEST BEEF RECIPES - FOOD.COM
50 EASY RECIPES FOR WHAT TO COOK WITH BEEF STEW MEAT
BEST EVER SLOW COOKER BEEF STEW | THE RECIPE CRITIC
THE BEST BEEF STEW RECIPE (3 WAYS!) + VIDEO - A SPICY PERSPECTIVE
OLD FASHIONED BEEF STEW - THE STAY AT HOME CHEF
CLASSIC STOVETOP BEEF STEW - VALERIE'S KITCHEN
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What is the best way to cook a beef stew?Add onion and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add vinegar and wine to the pan, cooking over medium-high heat, and scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Simmer for 10 minutes. Add beef broth, bullion, tomato paste, bay leaves, thyme and rosemary.
What are some good recipes to make stew?Our stew has tons of flavor thanks to the herbs, red wine and balsamic vinegar. — Taste of Home Test Kitchen In a small bowl, toss beef and 1/4 teaspoon salt. In a large bowl, combine 4 tablespoons flour and paprika. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and toss to coat. In a Dutch oven, brown beef in oil over medium heat.
What is the best meat to cook in stew?Cooking the carrots on the side lets them stay a beautiful orange and makes the stew look way more appealing. Beef — Boneless chuck roast is a top choice for beef stew because it is tender and retains its moisture during cooking Can You Double this Recipe?
How to cook beef stew with potatoes and carrots?Easy and hearty beef stew with potatoes, carrots and red wine. Cut the beef into 1 1/2-inch chunks. Preheat a large frying pan over medium-high heat and add a few tablespoons of oil. Once the pan is hot, add the cubed beef, season generously with salt and fry for 7 to 10 minutes, until well browned all over. Transfer the beef into a large soup pot.