ULTIMATE VEGAN HAGGIS
As a native Scotsman with a vegan food blog, it gives me great pleasure to share my recipe for the ultimate vegan haggis.
Provided by The Pesky Vegan
Categories Main Course
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Heat the butter in a pan. Add the onion and carrot and cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Add in the finely diced mushrooms and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Add the lentils, white pepper, and nutmeg and stir through for a couple of minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (360°F).
- To the pan, add the pinhead oats, Marmite, and veg stock. Cook for 15 minutes on a low heat, stirring regularly. The mix should become quite thick, but add a splash more water if it seems too thick.
- After 15 minutes, turn off the heat and stir through the chopped sunflower seeds.
- Spoon the mix into a greased loaf tin and bake in the oven for approx. 30 minutes. To make the outside extra crispy, turn up the heat slightly towards the end.
- Once cooked, remove from the oven and allow to stand for five minutes. Serve with neeps, tatties, cabbage or kale, and vegan whisky cream sauce. If you have any leftovers, why not treat yourself to a vegan haggis toastie, haggis fritter, or haggis quesadilla?
Nutrition Facts : Calories 517 kcal, Carbohydrate 81 g, Protein 28 g, Fat 11 g, SaturatedFat 2 g, Sodium 562 mg, Fiber 21 g, Sugar 4 g, ServingSize 1 serving
Celebrate Burns Night properly with this delicious veggie haggis filled with lentils, mushrooms and seasoning. Serve with golden neeps and tatties
Provided by Miriam Nice
Categories Dinner, Main course, Supper
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Pour the oil into a large non-stick frying pan and fry the onion gently over a low heat until it is very soft, this may take up to 15 mins. Add the garlic, grated carrot, chopped mushrooms and sunflower seeds. Season with salt and black pepper then add the other spices. Let it cook down for 5 mins to reduce some of the moisture from the vegetables. Add the Marmite and pearl barley and 200ml water. Bring to the boil, cover and cook for 30 mins or until all the liquid has been absorbed and the pearl barley is tender. Take the pan off the heat and tip the mixture out onto a large roasting tin so it can cool quickly. Once cold stir in the lentils, oats and vegetable suet.
- When you want to cook the haggis spread it out on a large piece of baking parchment. Roughly shape it into a log then roll the paper up and twist the ends so it is completely sealed. Wrap up in muslin and tie the ends securely with string.
- Heat a large pan of boiling water then slowly lower the haggis into it. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook gently for 1hr. Unwrap the parcel and serve with neeps and tatties.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 313 calories, Fat 18 grams fat, SaturatedFat 6 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 26 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 4 grams sugar, Fiber 6 grams fiber, Protein 8 grams protein, Sodium 0.22 milligram of sodium
A great recipe for winter!
Provided by lennigeorge
Yield Serves 6
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Gently fry the onion, carrot and mushrooms in a large frying pan or wok
- Cook the lentils in the stock and reduce the liquid to about 250 ml
- Add the cooked lentils, borlotti beans, hazelnuts and almonds to the onion mixture.
- Gently fry the buckwheat and rolled oats for a few minutes, then add to the other mixture with the soy sauce, lemon juice, suet, gravy browning and black pepper simmer for a few minutes until the liquid begins to disappear
- Turn into an oven proof dish and allow to stand for 20 mins then cook in a medium oven for 30 mins
'Fair fa' your honest, sonsie face, Great chieftain o' the puddin-race!' Here's a tasty vegetarian version of The Robbie Burns Night sausage, passed on to me by some friends from Cape Breton.
Provided by NORTHERNLIGHT1
Number Of Ingredients 17
- Heat the vegetable oil in a saucepan over medium heat, and saute the onion 5 minutes, until tender. Mix in carrot and mushrooms, and continue cooking 5 minutes. Stir in broth, lentils, kidney beans, peanuts, hazelnuts, soy sauce, and lemon juice. Season with thyme, rosemary, cayenne pepper, and mixed spice. Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low, and simmer 10 minutes. Stir in oats, cover, and simmer 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Lightly grease a 5x9 inch baking pan.
- Stir the egg into the saucepan. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking pan. Bake 30 minutes, until firm.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 162.7 calories, Carbohydrate 22.5 g, Cholesterol 18.6 mg, Fat 5.6 g, Fiber 5.4 g, Protein 6.6 g, SaturatedFat 0.9 g, Sodium 175.6 mg, Sugar 2.1 g
WILL'S VEGAN HAGGIS
A recipe for Miller... For those of you who cannot find yeast extract, use soy sauce. Traditionally served with bashet neeps and mashet tatties. Make a sauce of sautéed onions, whiskey, and cream to top the haggis; vegans can use other sauces, soya-cream, nothing at all. NB: if served on Burns Night (25 Jan.), Robert Burns's "Address to a Haggis" must be read before anyone is allowed to eat! That's the rules.
Provided by Missy Wombat
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 18
- In one pan, boil the barley for 30 minutes.
- In another, boil green and red lentils for 30 minutes.
- Drain both barley and lentils well and reserve separately.
- Melt 50 g margarine in a very large saucepan; then add barley, oats, and yeast extract.
- Sauté for three minutes or so; then reserve in a bowl.
- Chop onion and mushrooms fine or pop them in the food processor.
- Melt the other 50 g margarine in the saucepan; then add onion, mushrooms, and fake beef.
- Cook for 2 or 3 minutes.
- Then add lentils and the oat/barley mixture.
- Mix up this lot well.
- Gradually add vegetable stock till the mixture has a slightly juicy consistency -.
- but not too watery!
- This can be trial-and-error.
- I find that roughly 300 ml works for me.
- But I always make up about 500 ml, just in case.
- You can also splash in a little extra olive oil if you think it is needed.
- Mix in spices, whiskey, juice, and Worcestershire sauce?.
- and do a bit of a taste test.
- Once satisfied with the taste, cook the lot for about 5 extra minutes, stirring frequently.
- Then transfer to a casserole dish, cover with foil, mash down, and place in an oven pre-heated to Gas Mark 4/ 180°C/ 350°F.
- Keep an eye on it in 20- to 30-minute intervals, and add stock if it dries out.
- Cook this for about an hour or an hour and a quarter.
- Times may vary greatly.
- Refrigerates or freezes well.
- Re-heat in microwave or else wrap well and tight (and waterproof) in foil or other heat-sturdy casing, then cover with water and boil for about 45 minutes.
More about "vegan haggis recipes"
VEGAN HAGGIS RECIPE - THE SCOTS MAGAZINE
Estimated Reading Time 2 mins
VEGAN HAGGIS RECIPE | FERGHAN MHOR VEGAN BED AND …
Estimated Reading Time 4 mins
VEGAN HAGGIS WITH EASY INGREDIENTS - MY VEGAN MINIMALIST
5/5 (24)Total Time 1 hr 10 minsCategory Main CourseCalories 188 per serving
VEGGIE HAGGIS - VEGETARIAN SOCIETY
RECIPE OF SUPER QUICK HOMEMADE VEGAN HAGGIS – A COOKING DAY …
MEERA SODHA'S RECIPE FOR VEGAN HAGGIS KHEEMA AND TATTIE ROTIS
VEGAN HAGGIS AND TATTIES BURNS SUPPER | SIMON HOWIE RECIPES
A QUICK AND EASY VEGAN HAGGIS RECIPE – KAT THE FLEXI COOK
VEGETARIAN HAGGIS RECIPE! (VEGAN, GLUTEN-FREE, EASY TO MAKE, …
BEST 35 VEGETARIAN HAGGIS RECIPES - HOME, FAMILY, STYLE AND ART …
EASY VEGAN HAGGIS | TINNED TOMATOES
RECIPES FOR HAGGIS: 32 IDEAS FOR USING HAGGIS - SCOTTISH …
VEGETARIAN HAGGIS RECIPE - GREAT BRITISH CHEFS
VEGAN HAGGIS QUESADILLA (USING LEFTOVERS) - THE PESKY …
BURNS NIGHT 2021: HOW TO MAKE VEGAN HAGGIS | THE INDEPENDENT
HOW TO COOK THE PERFECT VEGETARIAN HAGGIS
THE ULTIMATE VEGAN WELLINGTON - VEGAN HUGGS
VEGAN HAGGIS RECIPE
JAMIE BEETS — VEGAN HAGGIS
TASTY VEGETARIAN HAGGIS RECIPE - SCOTTISH SCRAN
VEGAN HAGGIS RECIPE RECIPES ALL YOU NEED IS FOOD
VEGAN HAGGIS RECIPE - VEGANS 247
SCOTTISH VEGAN CHEF’S RECIPE / VEGAN FOOD IN SCOTLAND
VEGAN HAGGIS - PLANTBASED MAGAZINE
VEGAN HAGGIS - PETA UK
VEGAN HAGGIS RECIPE
VEGAN HAGGIS SAUSAGE ROLLS | TINNED TOMATOES
VEGAN HAGGIS - THE HAGGIS BOX
WILLS VEGETARIAN (BUT AUTHENTIC) HAGGIS | VEGWEB.COM, THE …
HAGGIS | THE VEGAN SOCIETY
VEGETARIAN HAGGIS AND MUSHROOM WELLINGTON - EASY CHEESY …
VEGAN HAGGIS - OH MY VEGGIES
RECIPES | VEGETARIAN FOR LIFE
GLUTEN-FREE VEGAN HAGGIS - FRIFRAN
TASTY VEGETARIAN HAGGIS RECIPE
VEGAN HAGGIS | PETA
VEGAN HAGGIS - ETHIVEGAN BY EDWARD DANIEL
ULTIMATE VEGETARIAN HAGGIS RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE DINNER
VEGETARIAN HAGGIS SHEPHERD’S PIE - DELISHABLY
VEGETARIAN HAGGIS RECIPE - BBC FOOD
VEGETARIAN HAGGIS | HAGGIS RECIPE | TESCO REAL FOOD
You'll also love