WHEAT BERRY SALAD
- In a large pot combine the wheat berries and enough water to come 2 inches over the wheat berries. Bring to a boil and cook uncovered for 1 hour, or until tender. Drain and let cool. Toast the walnuts in a medium dry skillet over medium-high heat until fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes.
- In a large bowl, combine the wheat berries, walnuts, celery, dried cherries, scallions, parsley, olive oil and lemon juice. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper.
Eaten whole, wheat berries have a strong nutty flavor, making them an earthy alternative to rice, couscous and quinoa. They can be soaked overnight so they'll cook faster and have a lighter, softer texture, but it's not necessary. A great way to prepare them is in tabbouleh, as a substitute for bulgur wheat. Suddenly, what is often only a small part of a Middle-Eastern mezze platter is elevated to a main dish.
Provided by Jeff Schwarz And Greg Kessler
Categories side dish
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Add wheat berries, 4 cups of water and a tablespoon of salt to a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and bring to a simmer, then cook for 45 to 50 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Place the cucumber, tomatoes and scallions in a large bowl.
- Finely chop the parsley and mint together, and add them to the large bowl.
- Add the cooled wheat berries to the mixture, and mix in the olive oil and lemon juice.
- Add remaining salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve at room temperature.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 270, UnsaturatedFat 9 grams, Carbohydrate 40 grams, Fat 11 grams, Fiber 8 grams, Protein 7 grams, SaturatedFat 2 grams, Sodium 551 milligrams, Sugar 4 grams
WHEAT BERRY SALAD
This hearty salad is bursting with harvest flavors and healthful omega-3s. The chewy wheat berries, sweet-tart dried cherries and crunchy walnuts make a winning combination.-Nancy Lange, Phoenix, Arizona
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 6 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Place wheat berries in a large saucepan; add water to cover by 2 in. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, about 1 hour or until tender. Drain; transfer to a large bowl. Cool completely., Add celery, cherries, walnuts, parsley and green onion to wheat berries. In a small bowl, whisk oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper until blended; add to salad and toss to coat. If desired, serve over greens.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 323 calories, Fat 14g fat (2g saturated fat), Cholesterol 0 cholesterol, Sodium 112mg sodium, Carbohydrate 45g carbohydrate (7g sugars, Fiber 7g fiber), Protein 8g protein.
OLD-SCHOOL BEAN SOUP WITH WHEAT BERRIES
- Place ham bone in a slow cooker. Pour in enough water to cover. Cook on Low until you have a fragrant stock, 12 to 15 hours.
- Place navy beans, cranberry beans, and wheat berries in a large container and cover with several inches of cool water; let soak, 8 hours to overnight. Drain.
- Remove ham bone from stock. Add beans and wheat berries. Stir in celery salt, thyme, oregano, Worcestershire sauce, and black pepper. Cook on High until beans are tender yet firm to the bite, about 4 hours.
- Stir lentils into the slow cooker. Cook on High until tender, about 1 hour. Season with salt and black pepper. Serve soup topped with diced tomatoes, avocado, and green onions.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 721.5 calories, Carbohydrate 144.7 g, Fat 5.7 g, Fiber 35.2 g, Protein 33.1 g, SaturatedFat 0.9 g, Sodium 398.2 mg, Sugar 2.5 g
VEGAN WHEAT BERRY-STUFFED PEPPERS
This vegan stuffed peppers recipe came about when my friend decided she wanted to eat vegan. It's made from things I (a meat eater) had on hand. It's pretty good! It's open to interpretation, so use it as you like and I hope you enjoy it. Ingredient substitutions are highly encouraged!
Provided by Helen Stachiotti
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Place wheat berries in a pot; cover with 2 inches water. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer until tender, about 40 minutes. Drain.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Pour about 1 inch water in a microwave-safe dish with a cover. Stand the peppers upright; cover and microwave on high for 5 minutes. Drain.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, and garlic; cook and stir until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add curry powder, thyme, salt, and pepper. Toss mixture with the cooked wheat berries; add a small amount of water if filling seems dry. Add cranberry sauce, walnuts, and parsley; stir to combine.
- Stuff the peppers with the filling and place in a casserole. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake in the preheated oven until peppers are tender and heated through, about 30 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 321.5 calories, Carbohydrate 58.6 g, Fat 9.3 g, Fiber 9.5 g, Protein 6.2 g, SaturatedFat 1.1 g, Sodium 67 mg, Sugar 24 g
CORN AND BERRY COUSCOUS
"My husband, Doug, wowed me with Confetti Couscous the first time he cooked for me while we were dating. It's still one of my favorite dishes," relates Laurel Porterfield from Bristow, Virginia.
Provided by Taste of Home
Categories Side Dishes
Yield 4-6 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 7
- In a large saucepan, bring the broth, butter and salt to a boil. Stir in the corn, cranberries and cinnamon. Cover and return to a boil; cook for 2 minutes. Stir in couscous. , Remove from the heat; cover and let stand for 5 minutes or until broth is absorbed. Fluff with a fork.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 270 calories, Fat 3g fat (1g saturated fat), Cholesterol 5mg cholesterol, Sodium 570mg sodium, Carbohydrate 56g carbohydrate (12g sugars, Fiber 4g fiber), Protein 8g protein.
EASY CURRY COUSCOUS
- Pour couscous into a bowl. Mix chicken stock, curry powder, salt, pepper, olive oil, and raisins in a saucepan and bring to a boil; remove from heat. Pour the boiling liquid over the couscous. Seal the bowl with plastic wrap and allow to sit for 10 minutes. Fluff couscous with a fork. Top with cilantro and almonds.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 269 calories, Carbohydrate 39.4 g, Cholesterol 0.4 mg, Fat 9.8 g, Fiber 3.6 g, Protein 7.1 g, SaturatedFat 1.1 g, Sodium 1130.9 mg, Sugar 9 g
WHEAT BERRY COUSCOUS
- Place wheat berries in a large bowl and add enough water to cover by 2 1/2 to 3 inches. Transfer to a refrigerator and let soak overnight.
- Drain wheat berries and transfer to a medium pot with enough water to cover by 3 inches. Add bay leaf and 2 tablespoons salt. Place over medium heat and bring to a boil; immediately reduce to a simmer. Cook until wheat berries are al dente, 45 to 60 minutes. Drain and set aside until cooled to room temperature.
- Place wheat berries in a large bowl along with almonds, feta, raisins, peppers, lemon zest and juice, olive oil, mint, parsley, and cilantro; stir to combine. Serve immediately.
More about "wheat berry couscous recipes"
BERRY COUSCOUS | RECIPES - THE 10000 TOES CAMPAIGN
Estimated Reading Time 1 min
BASIC WHOLE WHEAT COUSCOUS - CUISINICITY
10 BEST WHEAT BERRIES RECIPES | YUMMLY
MEXICAN WHEAT BERRY SALAD WITH CHIPOTLES AND TOASTED …
COOKING WHEAT BERRIES | BOB’S RED MILL
5 AMAZING WHEAT BERRY RECIPES - FOOD NETWORK
EASY WHOLE-WHEAT COUSCOUS RECIPE | EATINGWELL
WHEAT BERRIES - 7 RECIPES YOU HAVE TO TRY | WHEAT …
VANILLA-BERRY WHOLE WHEAT COUSCOUS BREAKFAST PILAF
MEDITERRANEAN WHOLE WHEAT COUSCOUS RECIPE | LAND …
WHEAT BERRIES: TOP 6 BENEFITS OF WHEAT BERRY NUTRITION - DR. AXE
MARY BERRY: SUMMER COUSCOUS | DAILY MAIL ONLINE
HOW TO COOK WHEAT BERRIES RECIPE - LOVE AND LEMONS
23 EASY COUSCOUS RECIPES TO TRY TONIGHT - INSANELY GOOD
EASY MOROCCAN COUSCOUS RECIPE - SIMPLY WHISKED
WATERMELON AND COUSCOUS SALAD • SO REFRESHING!
HOW TO COOK WHOLE WHEAT COUSCOUS - MARTINO TASTE
CURRIED COUSCOUS SALAD - THE DARING GOURMET
10 BEST WHEAT BERRY SUBSTITUTES - SUBSTITUTE COOKING
WHEAT BERRY COUSCOUS FOOD- WIKIFOODHUB
13 COUSCOUS AND WHEAT BULGUR RECIPES IDEAS - PINTEREST
WHEAT BERRY RECIPE WITH BACON, CARAMELIZED ONIONS, AND PECANS
WHEAT BERRY MEAT LOAF - RECIPE PETITCHEF
34 COUSCOUS, QUINOA, & WHEATBERRY RECPIES IDEAS | RECIPES, …
MIXED BERRY BREAKFAST COUSCOUS (DAIRY FREE & GLUTEN FREE)
WHEAT BERRY SALAD WITH APPLES AND CRANBERRIES - CHEW OUT LOUD
SWEET AND SAVORY COUSCOUS RECIPE - TURNING THE CLOCK BACK
GUINOA | COUSCOUS | BULGER | WHEAT BERRIES
ALGERIAN WHOLE-WHEAT COUSCOUS WITH RED BEANS AND VEGETABLES
COUSCOUS CAKE WITH BERRY TOPPING – SWEETVEG
WHY WHOLE WHEAT COUSCOUS? PART 1 - HISTORY - BE STILL FARMS
RECIPE: BERRY COUSCOUS DUMPLINGS STEP BY STEP WITH PICTURES
WHOLE WHEAT COUSCOUS WITH LEMON, PEAS, AND CHIVES RECIPE
ROASTED GARLIC & HERB WHOLE WHEAT COUSCOUS | EASY VEGAN SIDE …
MIXED BERRY COUSCOUS SURPRISE RECIPE | EAT YOUR BOOKS
ROASTED VEGETABLE COUSCOUS - INQUIRING CHEF
NEW DELHI VEGETABLE CURRY WITH WHOLE WHEAT COUSCOUS
COUSCOUS RECIPES | BBC GOOD FOOD
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you cook couscous?Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan over high heat. Add couscous, stir and return to a simmer. Cover, remove from heat and let stand until the water is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
How to cook wheat berries?After the berries have been soaked for at least 12 hours, drain them into a bowl. Another optional step to ensure perfect wheat berries is to toast them before cooking the berries on the stovetop. Preheat your oven to 375°F, spread the berries on a parchment-lined baking sheet and toast for 10 minutes until fragrant.
How to cook wheat berries in a pressure cooker?Just add the wheat berries to the pot with about four times as much water, and let the pressure cooker do its thing! The entire process usually takes just over an hour, and the berries will be kept warm and tender once the water has evaporated.
Can couscous be made ahead of time?Add couscous, stir and return to a simmer. Cover, remove from heat and let stand until the water is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork. To make ahead: Cool, cover and refrigerate for up to 5 days.