ORIGINAL RECIPE FOR DANISH AEBLESKIVER (PANCAKE BALLS)
Original recipe for Danish Aebleskiver also known as Danish Pancake Balls. These traditional pancake balls are traditinal served during Christmas. However, they are also perfect the rest of the year.
Provided by NordicFoodLiving.com
Categories Dessert Nordic Christmas
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Separate the egg whites and yolks in separate bowls.
- Whisk the sugar and egg whites fluffy and stiff. The bowl must be completely clean and dry. A tiny bit of water will make the eggs whites impossible to whisk stiff. Set aside.
- Mix the egg yolks, all-purpose flour, natron (baking soda), salt and vanilla sugar together in a separate bowl.
- Use a hand mixer to mix the ingredients while gradually adding the buttermilk. Keep mixing until the batter is uniform.
- Melt the butter and let it cool off a bit. Slowly add the cooled butter to the buttermilk mixture while whisking.
- Use a wooden spoon or similar to slowly mix the stiff eggs whites in the batter.
- You need a special Aebleskive pan for frying. You can get one online or maybe at your local kitchen store.
- Heat up the Aebleskive pan at medium heat and add a small piece of butter in each hole. Fill the holes 3/4 with the Aebleskive batter.
- When the batter starts to get firm and you can turn them over without cracking, then turn the Aebleskiver 90 degrees (using a wooden stick or similar) and let the batter flow into the pan.
- At this point there is a hole in the side of the Aebleskive. Pour a little extra batter into the hole and turn the Aebleskive another 90 degrees so that the hole gets closed.
- When the Aebleskiver have a solid surface turn them regularly so they get an even and light-brown crust.
AEBLESKIVER (DANISH PANCAKE BALLS)
Based on a recipe from Sunset's Breakfast & Brunches cookbook. You will need an ebelskiver (aebleskiver or aebelskiver) pan to make this; we purchased our NordicWare one at L.L. Bean's in Freeport, Maine. "The tender ball-shaped pancakes the Danish call "aebleskiver" derive their roundness from the iron in which they're cooked.... To make perfectly round aebleskiver, you must frequently lift and turn the baked section of each ball. They will eventually seal themselves, creating a hollow in each center. Serve with your favorite jam or preserves." When we make these, we experiment by placing the jam, preserves, or chocolate inside the aebleskivers!
Provided by mersaydees
Categories High In...
Yield 12-15 pancake balls
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Sift flour with salt, baking powder, granulated sugar, and cardamom in medium-size bowl. Combine egg, milk, and 2 tablespoons of butter in small bowl. Add wet mixture to dry combination and stir until blended and smooth.
- Note: If your ebelskiver pan is new and isn't Teflon coated, season it by preheating it to medium-hot - until water dripped onto the surface sizzles. Brush entire cooking surface generously with salad oil. Continue to heat just until oil smokes, then remove from heat and let cool completely. Wipe clean and your ebelskiver is ready for use. If your old ebelskiver seems to stick, wash its cooking surface in soapy water. Then season as directed above.
- Place a seasoned aebleskiver pan over medium heat until water sprinkled in pan sizzles. Brush each cup lightly with some of the remaining butter. Fill each cup approximately 2/3 full with batter. About 30 seconds later, a thin shell forms on the bottom of each pancake ball. Coerce unbaked batter to flow out by sticking a slender wooden or metal skewer into baked portion and gently pulling shell almost halfway up.
- Continue to rotate each pancake ball about every 30 seconds as the shell begins to set, pulling up the baked shell to let remaining batter flow out into cup. After about four turns, the ball should be almost formed and you can turn it upside down to seal.
- Continue baking, rotating the balls frequently until they are an even golden brown and a skewer inserted in center comes out clean. Using skewer, lift balls from pan when baked. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Serve immediately, or keep warm for as long as 30 minutes in a bun warmer or cloth-lined basket on an electric warming tray. Dust with powdered sugar. Break each ball in half, fill with jam, and eat out-of-hand.
AEBLESKIVER (DANISH PANCAKE BALLS)
A recipe for Aebleskiver, Danish Pancake Balls - a favorite pastry in both Denmark and in Danish-American communities.
Provided by Kari Diehl
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Gather the ingredients.
- In a medium-size pan, lightly sauté apple pieces in 2 tablespoons of butter until softened but still firm. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Separate the egg whites from yolks and beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In a different bowl, whisk egg yolks and sugar together until creamy. Set aside.
- In a medium-size bowl, sift together flour and baking powder. Set aside.
- Gradually stir in half-cups of flour at a time, alternating with half-cups of buttermilk, into the egg mixture. Mix well until all buttermilk and flour are combined into the eggs.
- Gently fold beaten egg whites into batter.
- Heat up aebleskiver pan over high heat. Once very hot, reduce the heat to medium.
- Place 1/8 teaspoon of butter into each well to grease, using a pastry brush to coat the round surface entirely.
- Spoon about 1 teaspoon of batter into each well, filling half-way, and place an apple chunk on the batter. Immediately spoon enough additional batter over the apples to cover and fill well to the top.
- Allow the pancake to cook until the sides begin to brown and pull away from the sides of the wells.
- Lightly run a knife or, in the traditional fashion, a knitting needle around the edge of each ball to loosen and then flip over to cook through for about 2 minutes.
- Remove the aebleskiver to a plate and sprinkle with powdered sugar, if using, to serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 64 kcal, Carbohydrate 10 g, Cholesterol 17 mg, Fiber 1 g, Protein 2 g, SaturatedFat 1 g, Sodium 59 mg, Sugar 2 g, Fat 2 g, ServingSize serves 28, UnsaturatedFat 0 g
AEBLESKIVER (DANISH PANCAKES)
As a young girl, I constantly craved Saturdays and Sundays when my mother would prepare these small delicious pancakes. Now as a college student, I still look forward to Christmas time when our family is together and my mother and I prepare an overwhelming amount to feed family members! Definitely add in any kind of jam, peanut butter, honey, Nutella®, chocolate chips, fruit (diced apples, blueberries, etc.); the possibilities are endless and so delicious!
Provided by ellie
Categories 100+ Breakfast and Brunch Recipes Pancake Recipes
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Stir the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves together in a large bowl; mix in the egg, milk, butter, and vanilla until just combined.
- Heat an aebleskiver pan over medium heat; prepare with cooking spray.
- Pour the batter into each cup to about 2/3 full. Allow the batter to cook in the bottom of the cup 3 to 4 minutes until golden brown. Don't forget which cup you placed the batter in first, it's all about rotation! Use a long skewer or knitting needle to lift one edge and give it a 1/4 turn. The uncooked batter will spill over into the cup, and cook. Continue lifting and turning the edges until the batter is fully cooked into a golden brown ball. Drain on paper towels.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 127.2 calories, Carbohydrate 18 g, Cholesterol 34.2 mg, Fat 4.8 g, Fiber 2.2 g, Protein 4.1 g, SaturatedFat 2.7 g, Sodium 361.5 mg, Sugar 5 g
Years ago, a friend returned from visiting her family in Denmark and brought back her family recipe for aebleskiver. After hearing her rave about these tasty Danish pancake balls sold in bakeries and at street markets there, I ordered an aebleskiver pan. I've been making them ever since. -Kristine Chayes, Smithtown, New York
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield about 3 dozen.
Number Of Ingredients 8
- In a large bowl, whisk egg yolks and buttermilk until blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Stir into egg mixture just until moistened. In a small bowl, beat egg whites on high speed until stiff but not dry. With a rubber spatula, gently stir a fourth of the egg whites into batter. Fold in remaining egg whites. Place a greased aebleskiver pan over medium heat. In batches, pour 1 tablespoon batter into each cup. Top with a peach piece and another 1 tablespoon batter. Cook until bubbles on top begin to pop and bottoms are golden brown. Turn; cook until second side is golden brown. Serve warm with confectioners' sugar. Freeze option: Freeze cooled pancakes between layers of waxed paper in a freezer container. To use, place pancakes on an ungreased baking sheet, cover with foil and reheat in a preheated 375° oven until heated through, 5-10 minutes. Or, place on a microwave-safe plate and microwave on high until heated through, 45-90 seconds.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 160 calories, Fat 2g fat (1g saturated fat), Cholesterol 64mg cholesterol, Sodium 530mg sodium, Carbohydrate 27g carbohydrate (5g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 7g protein. Diabetic Exchanges
AEBLESKIVER (ROUND, FILLED DANISH PANCAKES)
This Danish delicacy is served in many Danish-American homes, including mine. A special pan is needed; even though new pans are available, many cooks favor the old cast-iron pans, which are handed down from generation to generation. You can get them at many scandanavian specialty stores, and can also order them online. In Denmark, aebleskiver is served as a dessert with sugar or marmelade. On the island of Aero, a small sliver of prune is put in the middle as they are cooked. There are many different recipes, and this one is my family's favorite. We put a little jam, preferably lingonberry preserves, in the middle of our aebleskivers as they are cooking, before turning them, and we eat them with sweetened cinamon-sugar applesauce. You will need a little practice in turning these doughnut-like treats. A fork works, but some practiced "turners" use a knitting needle, preferably wooden, or a similar device such as an ice pick. Even a toothpick will do.
Provided by AB_Fan
Yield 24 aebleskivers, 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Beat egg whites until stiff; set aside.
- Beat egg yolks and buttermilk together.
- Sift dry ingredients together and add to liquid mixture.
- Add the melted butter and mix together until smooth.
- Fold in beaten egg whites.
- Fill pan cups about 1/4 full of oil and heat.
- Fill pan cups with batter. If you are adding jam, jelly, or applesauce to the middle add it now, only about a 1/4 teaspoons
- Bake until the edges are bubbly.
- Turn (using a fork, knitting needle, or toothpick) and continue turning until evenly browned and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
More about "aebleskiver danish pancake balls recipes"
DANISH PANCAKE BALLS (AEBLESKIVER) RECIPE | MYRECIPES
5/5 (8)Calories 88 per servingServings 12-13
- In a bowl, mix flour with sugar, baking powder, cardamom, and salt. In a small bowl, beat egg to blend with milk and 2 tablespoons butter. Add liquids to dry ingredients and stir until evenly moistened.
- Place an aebleskiver pan over medium-low heat. When pan is hot enough to make a drop of water dance, brush pancake cups lightly with melted butter and fill each to slightly below the rim with batter.
- In about 1 1/2 minutes, thin crusts will form on bottoms of balls (centers will still be wet); pierce the crust with a slender wood skewer and gently pull shell to rotate the pancake ball until about half the cooked portion is above the cup rim and uncooked batter flows down into cup. Cook until crust on bottom of ball is again firm enough to pierce, about another minute, then rotate ball with skewer until the ridge formed as the pancake first cooked is on top. Cook, turning occasionally with skewer, until balls are evenly browned and no longer moist in the center, another 10 to 12 minutes. Check by piercing center of last pancake ball added to pan with skewer--it should come out clean--or by breaking the ball open slightly; if balls start to get too brown, turn heat to low until they are cooked in the center. Lift cooked balls from pan and serve hot (see notes). Repeat to cook remaining batter.
AEBLESKIVER - THE ORIGINAL RECIPE FOR DANISH PANCAKE BALLS
Author Tina MøllerTotal Time 1 hr 30 minsCategory DessertCalories 57 per serving
AEBLESKIVER (DANISH PANCAKES) – LOW COST RECIPE WEBLOG
FILLED PANCAKE PAN - THERESCIPES.INFO
ÆBLESKIVER - WIKIPEDIA
AEBLESKIVER DANISH PANCAKES (BLUEBERRY MINI PANCAKE BALLS)
TRADITIONAL DANISH AEBLESKIVER | FAVORITE FAMILY RECIPES
AEBLESKIVER (DANISH PANCAKE BALLS) RECIPE - FOOD.COM
ÆBLESKIVER (DANISH PANCAKES) - TRUE NORTH KITCHEN
DANISH AEBLESKIVER: DANISH PANCAKE BALLS L PANNING THE GLOBE
SOURDOUGH æBLESKIVER RECIPE – SIMPLE DANISH PANCAKE BALLS
AEBLESKIVER - TRADITIONAL DANISH PANCAKE RECIPE | 196 …
DANISH PANCAKE BALLS "AEBLESKIVER" - SIMMER + SAUCE
AEBLESKIVER / DANISH PANCAKE BALLS – FOODIE TRAIL
DANISH PANCAKE BALLS (AEBLESKIVER) RECIPE -SUNSET MAGAZINE
AEBLESKIVER (DANISH PANCAKES) – CHEAP RECIPE BLOG
ORIGINAL RECIPE FOR DANISH AEBLESKIVER PANCAKE BALLS
AEBLESKIVER (DANISH PANCAKE BALLS) - DUMMIES
DANISH PANCAKE BALLS (AEBLESKIVER) - BLYTHES BLOG
AEBLESKIVER DANISH PANCAKES – MODERN HONEY
AEBLESKIVER DANISH PANCAKE BALLS WITH STRAWBERRY
AEBLESKIVER (DANISH PANCAKE BALLS) - BIGOVEN
HOW TO MAKE AEBLESKIVER-DANISH PANCAKES - JOY OF EATING THE WORLD
AEBLESKIVER: THE BEST RECIPE FOR DANISH PANCAKES - COOKIST.COM
THE CUTEST ROUNDEST PANCAKE BALLS YOU’LL EVER MAKE AND EAT: …
AEBLESKIVER DANISH PANCAKES - IMMACULATE BITES
AEBLESKIVER (DANISH PANCAKE BALLS) RECIPE
DANISH PANCAKE BALLS (AEBLESKIVER) RECIPE | SAY MMM
DANISH AEBLESKIVER (PANCAKE BALLS) RECIPE | SPARKRECIPES
ÆBLESKIVER DANISH PANCAKE BALLS | RECIPE & GADGET TEST
AEBLESKIVER (DANISH PANCAKE BALLS) RECIPE - RECIPELAND.COM
LOW-CARB AEBLESKIVER PANCAKE BALLS - YELLOW GLASS DISH
AEBLESKIVER | DANISH PANCAKES - HOUSE OF NASH EATS
DANISH AEBLESKIVER PANCAKES – WHAT STEVE EATS
DANISH PANCAKE BALLS | AEBLESKIVER | EASY - YOUTUBE
RECIPE: DANISH PANCAKE BALLS (æBLESKIVER) - SCANDIKITCHEN
AEBLESKIVER (DANISH PANCAKE BALLS) RECIPE - FOOD.COM
AEBLESKIVER (DANISH PANCAKE BALLS) - BIGOVEN.COM
DANISH PANCAKES AEBLESKIVER RECIPE - THERESCIPES.INFO
DANISH AEBLESKIVER BUT EASIER AND FASTER. (FLUFFY PANCAKE BALLS).
Are you curently on diet or you just want to control your food's nutritions, ingredients? We will help you find recipes by cooking method, nutrition, ingredients...Check it out »
You'll also love