ATAIF / ATAYIF BIL ISHTA -- ARAB PANCAKES FILLED WITH CREAM.
Ataif / Atayif are famous throughout the Arab world & are eaten most often during Ramadan. They are a little fiddly & time consuming to make but are certainly worth it! This recipe is an old one but very similar to the version Arabic Bites blog : http://arabicbites.blogspot.com/2007/06/ataif-bil-ashta.html - take a look at the step by step pictures :)
Provided by Um Safia
Yield 25-35 ataif approx
Number Of Ingredients 12
- To make the filling:.
- Mix corn flour gradually with milk and sugar then bring it to boil in a medium sized, heavy bottomed pan.
- Stir continually until the mixture thickens, add the remaining ingredients & remove from heat. Spoon mixture into a bowl & refrigerate until cold.
- To make the dough:.
- Mix all the ingredients and allow to sit for 30-40 minutes.
- Ladle approximately 2 tablespoons of the mixture at a time onto a lightly greased, hot frying pan / skillet & cook until full of bubbles - only cook ONE side.
- After cooking all of the pancakes, let them cool a little.
- To assemble, gently fold in half & pinch the bottom half edge together - so that you have an opening to place the cream but the rest is sealed.
- Using a piping bag, fill each pancake with the cooled cream (ishta), before dipping the open ends in the chopped pistachios.
ATAIF (ARAB FILLED PANCAKES)
- Dissolve yeast in sugar and 1/2 cup of water. let it froth for 10 minutes.
- Put the flour in a large bowl. Add the yeast mixture and remaining water gradually.
- Beat vigorously into a creamy lump-free batter.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and leave in a warm place for an hour.
- To make the syrup, bring the water to a boil with sugar and lemon juice. Simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in the rose water and simmer for a few more seconds. Allow to cool.
- Heat an oiled skillet until it is very hot. Reduce the heat to medium.
- Pour a half ladle of batter into the skillet, allowing it to spread. fry only one side of the pancake. when little holes appear, lift them out and set them on a platter to be stuffed.
- Put a heaping tablespoon of stuffing in the middle of each pancake. fold in half and pinch the edges tightly to allow no filling to escape.
- Deep fry a few at a time in medium hot oil about 1 inch deep. Remove when they turn pale brown.
- Drain on paper towels. Dip, while hot, in the syrup. pour the remaining syrup over the top of all of them and serve either hot or cold.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 359.9, Fat 12.9, SaturatedFat 1.2, Sodium 3.1, Carbohydrate 60.1, Fiber 2, Sugar 46.7, Protein 4.6
QATAYEF ASAFIRI (STUFFED SEMOLINA PANCAKES)
Qatayef are synonymous with Ramadan. It is during this month that bakeries start making the pastry for these stuffed pancakes, and the lines spill into the street as people wait their turn to buy them. Golden underneath and speckled with bubbles on top, qatayef are cooked only on one side. They can be large or small. The large ones are normally stuffed with nuts or cheese and folded over, then fried or baked, and drenched in sugar syrup. The small ones, called qatayef asafiri (or little bird qatayef), are stuffed with a creamy filling, only half closed, then dipped in pistachio and drizzled with thick, faintly floral sugar syrup. The batter is very simple; the key is to make sure it is the right consistency, like that of heavy cream.
Provided by Reem Kassis
Categories pancakes, pastries, dessert
Yield About 30 pieces
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Prepare the syrup: In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, lemon juice and 1/4 cup water. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Lower heat and simmer until slightly thickened, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool completely, then stir in 1/2 teaspoon orange blossom water and 1/2 teaspoon rose water.
- Make the batter: Add 1 1/4 cups plus 2 tablespoons water to a blender or food processor. Add all the batter ingredients and process until smooth. The batter should be quite loose, similar to heavy cream in consistency. Set aside to rest for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the filling: Place the mascarpone, heavy cream, confectioners' sugar, 1/2 teaspoon orange blossom water and 1/2 teaspoon rose water in a small bowl. Use a handheld electric mixer to whip into stiff peaks. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Cook the qatayef: Place a medium nonstick skillet or griddle over medium heat until hot. Mix the batter to ensure it is smooth, then pour separate 1-tablespoon portions of batter into the pan, fitting about 4 circles. Cook qatayef until the entire surface is covered in small bubbles and the center loses its sheen, about 30 to 45 seconds. (You might be able to cook off more at a time once you've determined the right temperature and consistency of the batter.) If the bubbles are large and sparse, then your batter is too thick; stir 1 tablespoon of water into the batter to thin. Qatayef cook only on one side; the base should be uniformly golden and the top covered in small bubbles. If the disks brown too quickly - or unevenly - underneath before the batter loses its sheen on top, lower the heat slightly.
- Transfer each cooked qatayef to a large tray lined with a dish towel and cover with another dish towel while you cook the remaining batter.
- Fill the qatayef: Fold each into a half-moon, bubble side on the inside, and pinch to seal the edges together halfway. Using a teaspoon or a piping bag, fill the opening with the cream, then dip the exposed cream filling into the ground pistachios.
- Arrange the filled qatayef on a serving platter. These can be covered in plastic wrap and refrigerated for several hours until ready to serve. To serve, drizzle the cooled syrup over the qatayef and offer guests more syrup to add to their individual plates, if they choose.
More about "ataif atayif bil ishta arab pancakes filled with cream recipes"
ATAYEF - SIMPLY LEBANESE
QATAYEF ASAFIRI WITH ASHTA - AMIRA'S PANTRY
QATAYEF ASAFIRI / ATAYEF BIL ASHTA (MIDDLE EASTERN CREAM …
5/5 (8)Total Time 1 hrCategory DessertCalories 129 per serving
QATAYEF ASHTA (LEBANESE FILLED PANCAKES | RAMADAN DESSERT)
16 BEST ARABIC SWEETS AND DESSERTS IDEAS | RECIPES, ARABIC SWEETS, …
ATAIF BIL ASHTA | THE FRESH LOAF, BABY FOOD RECIPES, SWEET RECIPES
ATAIF BIL ASHTA - THE FRESH LOAF
ATAYEF WITH CREAM CHEESE FILLING (ISHTA FILLING) - FOOD DOLLS
ATAYIF (STUFFED PANCAKES) RECIPE | MIDDLE EASTERN | HANNAFORD
ATAYEF: DOUBLE FRIED FILLED PANCAKES FOR CHANUKAH
ARAB PANCAKES (ATAYIF) | SAVEUR
ATAYEF (WALNUT- OR CLOTTED CREAM-FILLED PANCAKES) | SAVEUR
ATAIF (ARAB FILLED PANCAKES) - PLAIN.RECIPES
ATAIF ATAYIF BIL ISHTA ARAB PANCAKES FILLED WITH CREAM RECIPES
ATAYEF (MIDDLE EASTERN PANCAKES) - LITTLE SUNNY KITCHEN
ANITA’S BEST ATAYEF WITH ASHTA(PANCAKES FILLED WITH CREAM-ASHTA)
ATAIF / ATAYIF BIL ISHTA -- ARAB PANCAKES FILLED WITH CREAM. RECIPE ...
ATAYEF (MIDDLE EASTERN WALNUT STUFFED PANCAKES) - PLANT BASED FOLK
ATAIF BIL ASHTA - YUMMY FOOD
ATAIF BIL ASHTA | THE FRESH LOAF
ATAYEF RECIPE - WONDERFUL SWEET DISH TO ENJOY ANYTIME
QATAYEF ARABIC RICOTTA CREAM FILLED PANCAKES ... - THE HINT OF …
ATAYIF (STUFFED PANCAKES) RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
ATAYEF WITH ASHTA CREAM (SWEET PANCAKE STUFFED WITH CLOTTED CREAM)
CHEESE-FILLED ATAYEF (قطايف) — LADY SPATULA
ATAIF (ARAB FILLED PANCAKES) RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
ATAYEF RECIPE WITH WALNUT FILLING - WHEEL OF BAKING
MIDDLE-EASTERN PANCAKES (ATAYIF) - DESSERTS - TASTEGREATFOODIE
PIN ON BABY CAKES & DESSERTS - PINTEREST
ATAYEF BIL ASHTA (LEBANESE CUSTARD-FILLED PANCAKES)
THE ARAB IN ME. - PINTEREST.CA
ATAIF (ARAB FILLED PANCAKES) (KITCHENPC)
You'll also love