BACON CLAM CHOWDER
Chopping the clams into tiny pieces adds big flavor to this full-bodied chowder from Betty Lineaweaver. "Everyone says it's the best they've ever tasted," she writes from her Paradise, California home. "I like to serve it with garlic bread or a side salad."
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 3 cups.
Number Of Ingredients 12
- In a small saucepan, combine the first six ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 10-12 minutes or until potato is tender., Meanwhile, drain clams, reserving juice. Place clams in a small food processor; process until finely chopped., In a small bowl, mix cornstarch and cream until smooth; stir into pan. Add reserved clam juice. Bring to a boil; cook and stir 2 minutes or until soup is thickened. Stir in butter, cayenne and clams; heat through. Top servings with bacon.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 220 calories, Fat 5g fat (2g saturated fat), Cholesterol 50mg cholesterol, Sodium 416mg sodium, Carbohydrate 21g carbohydrate (5g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 20g protein. Diabetic Exchanges
NEW ENGLAND CLAM CHOWDER
For a bowl of creamy comfort, try Dave Lieberman's New England Clam Chowder recipe from Food Network, perfect with homemade baguette croutons.
Provided by Dave Lieberman
Yield 6 to 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 14
- Heat the butter in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and celery and saute until softened, mixing often. Stir in the flour to distribute evenly. Add the stock, juice from 2 cans of chopped clams (reserve clams), cream, bay leaves, and potatoes and stir to combine. Bring to a simmer, stirring consistently (the mixture will thicken), then reduce the heat to medium-low and cook 20 minutes, stirring often, until the potatoes are nice and tender. Then add clams and season to taste with salt and pepper, cook until clams are just firm, another 2 minutes.;
- Melt the butter in a large skillet and toss the bread cubes in the butter until browned and toasted, about 2 to 3 minutes. Add parsley and season with salt and pepper.;
CONTEST-WINNING NEW ENGLAND CLAM CHOWDER
This is the best New England clam chowder recipe, ever! In the Pacific Northwest, we dig our own razor clams and I grind them for the chowder. Since these aren't readily available, the canned clams are perfectly acceptable. -Sandy Larson, Port Angeles, Washington
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 5 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 13
- In a Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels to drain; set aside. Saute celery and onion in the drippings until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the potatoes, water, clam juice, bouillon, pepper and thyme. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, until potatoes are tender, 15-20 minutes., In a small bowl, combine flour and 1 cup half-and-half until smooth. Gradually stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes., Stir in clams and remaining half-and-half; heat through (do not boil). Crumble the cooked bacon; sprinkle over each serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 260 calories, Fat 4g fat (1g saturated fat), Cholesterol 22mg cholesterol, Sodium 788mg sodium, Carbohydrate 39g carbohydrate (9g sugars, Fiber 3g fiber), Protein 13g protein. Diabetic Exchanges
NEW ENGLAND CLAM CHOWDER I
- Place diced bacon in large stock pot over medium-high heat. Cook until almost crisp; add onions, and cook 5 minutes. Stir in water and potatoes, and season with salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, and cook uncovered for 15 minutes, or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Pour in half-and-half, and add butter. Drain clams, reserving clam liquid; stir clams and 1/2 of the clam liquid into the soup. Cook for about 5 minutes, or until heated through. Do not allow to boil.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 395.8 calories, Carbohydrate 24 g, Cholesterol 101.4 mg, Fat 22.5 g, Fiber 2.2 g, Protein 24.1 g, SaturatedFat 11.5 g, Sodium 706.2 mg, Sugar 2 g
NEW ENGLAND RAZOR CLAM CHOWDER
Thick New England clam chowder using razor clams. My family likes to harvest razor clams on the Washington coast. We clean and freeze our clams. You might be able to use canned clams. My husband like thick clam chowder. If you do not want it as thick omit flour, and/or use milk instead of cream. Serve with bread and salad.
Provided by Candia Mathieson
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Cook and stir bacon in a large pot over medium-high heat until browned, about 10 minutes. Remove bacon with a slotted spoon to a plate lined with paper towel, reserving drippings in the pot.
- Cook and stir potatoes, onion, and garlic in the hot bacon drippings until onions are translucent, 7 to 10 minutes. Stir flour into the potato mixture; cook together for about 1 minute. Add evaporated milk, heavy cream, liquid from clams, and bay leaf to the potato mixture; stir.
- Bring the mixture to a simmer, reduce heat to medium, and cook until the potatoes are soft, about 15 minutes. Add clams to the soup; cook until the clams are hot, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle bacon atop the soup. Season with salt and pepper to serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 574.9 calories, Carbohydrate 31.6 g, Cholesterol 112.3 mg, Fat 40.8 g, Fiber 3.1 g, Protein 20.5 g, SaturatedFat 17.6 g, Sodium 574 mg, Sugar 6.9 g
THICK AND CREAMY NEW ENGLAND CLAM CHOWDER
This is the BEST chowder I've ever had. I've had chowder at Legal Seafoods in Boston, which I have to say is good, but mine is BETTER! If you like thick chowder, you'll love this one!!
Provided by teen7043
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Add bacon to sauce pan and cook on medium low heat until crispy.
- Add onion and cook until translucent.
- Add clam juice from both cans.
- Add potatoes.
- Cook and cover until potatoes are fork tender, about 15-20 minutes.
- Stir occasionally so potatoes won't stick.
- Add clams, soup, cream, milk, and dill weed.
- Stir together.
- Add butter and let melt into the chowder.
- Cook for about 30-45 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir occasionally.
CLASSIC CLAM CHOWDER
- Start by making the clam broth: Put a large pot over medium heat, add the bacon and saute until the fat is rendered and the bacon is browned, about 5 minutes. Remove the cooked bacon pieces from the pot and reserve them for something else. Add a 1-count of olive oil, the onion, garlic, thyme, and bay leaf and cook, stirring, until the vegetables are translucent, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the clams, lemon juice, white wine, and water and bring to a low boil. Reduce the heat, cover the pot, and simmer for 10 or 15 minutes to steam open the clams. Remove the clams from the pot, discarding any that don't open. Strain the broth into a bowl. Pull the clams out of their shells, chop them, and set them aside separately; discard the shells. Set the broth aside.
- Heat the butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the bacon, onion, garlic, and thyme and cook until the bacon renders its fat and the vegetables are good and soft, 8 to 10 minutes. Dust the vegetables with flour and stir to coat everything well. Pour in the clam broth and bring to a boil. Add the cream and the potatoes, bring to a boil and boil hard for about 7 minutes, until the potatoes break down (this will help to thicken the soup and give it a good texture). Add the chopped clams and season with salt and pepper.
- Now add the 16 clams in their shells. Cover and simmer to open the clams, about 10 minutes. Stir in the parsley and serve hot, with the common crackers.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Put the crushed crackers in a bowl, add the oil and melted butter, and toss to coat the crackers with the fat. Spread on a baking sheet and bake until crisp and lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
- Yield: 2 cups
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Inactive Prep Time: none
- Ease of preparation: easy
BACON CLAM CHOWDER
- Drain clams, reserving juice; set aside.
- Place the clams in a food processor; cover and process until finely chopped; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, combine the broth, potato, celery, onion, bouillon, and thyme.
- Bring to a boil.
- Decrease heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10-12 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir in the reserved clam juice.
- Combine the cornstarch and cream until smooth; gradually stir into the soup.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in the butter, cayenne, and the clams.
- Cook and stir over medium heat for 3-4 minutes or until heated through.
- Garnish with bacon.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 266.8, Fat 10.5, SaturatedFat 5.3, Cholesterol 54.3, Sodium 189, Carbohydrate 23, Fiber 2.1, Sugar 1.6, Protein 20
More about "bacon clam chowder recipes"
BACON CLAM CHOWDER RECIPE WITH BACON | NUESKE'S
5/5 (3)Servings 6-8Cuisine AmericanCategory Soup
HOW TO MAKE CLAM CHOWDER WITH BACON - CHEFS NOTES
Estimated Reading Time 6 mins
CLASSIC NEW ENGLAND CLAM CHOWDER RECIPE -- YANKEE …
BOB’S BACON POTATO CLAM CHOWDER - THE SPECKLED PALATE
CLAM CHOWDER WITH BACON RECIPE | JAMES BEARD FOUNDATION
MO'S CLAM CHOWDER RECIPE - BOWL ME OVER
SLOW COOKER CLAM CHOWDER - DINNER, THEN DESSERT
CLAM CHOWDER RECIPE – EASY NEW ENGLAND STYLE IN 30 …
RAZOR CLAM CHOWDER RECIPE WITH POTATOES AND BACON
10 BEST CLAM CHOWDER RECIPES | YUMMLY
TOMATO BACON CLAM CHOWDER - WINDSET FARMS®
EASY CLAM CHOWDER - DAMN DELICIOUS
CLAM CHOWDER WITH BACON AND CROUTONS | CANADIAN …
CREAMY NEW ENGLAND STYLE CLAM CHOWDER RECIPE
EMERIL'S BOSTON CLAM CHOWDER RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
AWARD WINNING CLAM CHOWDER WITH BACON - BAKING BEAUTY
EASY NEW ENGLAND CLAM CHOWDER - KITCHEN DREAMING
BEST HOMEMADE NEW ENGLAND CLAM CHOWDER RECIPE - LEMON …
CAULIFLOWER CLAM CHOWDER WITH CRISPY BACON - CHEZ US
CLAM CHOWDER RECIPE | SPOON FORK BACON
NEW ENGLAND CLAM CHOWDER - HOUSE OF NASH EATS
BOSTON CLAM CHOWDER RECIPE – STATE OF DINNER
PACIFIC RAZOR CLAM CHOWDER RECIPE - THERESCIPES.INFO
THE BEST CREAMY CLAM CHOWDER - FOODIE AND WINE
KETO CLAM CHOWDER RECIPE [SLOW COOKED WITH BACON]
CLAM CHOWDER RECIPE MADE WITH BACON - THE PREPARED PANTRY …
SEAFOOD & BACON CHOWDER | CANADIAN LIVING
SMOKY BACON-CLAM CHOWDER RECIPE | MYRECIPES
CLAM CHOWDER WITH BACON - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
NEW ENGLAND CLAM CHOWDER RECIPE - SUPERMAN COOKS
POTATO BACON CLAM CHOWDER - CLAM CHOWDER RECIPES
CLAM CHOWDER — BLESS THIS MESS
BACON CLAM CHOWDER RECIPE : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST
NEW ENGLAND CLAM CHOWDER - THE SEASONED MOM
21 CREAMY CLAM CHOWDER RECIPE WITHOUT BACON - SELECTED RECIPES
NEW ENGLAND CLAM CHOWDER - CULINARY HILL
NEW ENGLAND CLAM CHOWDER - SPEND WITH PENNIES
THE BAKER UPSTAIRS: BACON CLAM CHOWDER + 23 AMAZING SOUP …
CLAM & CORN CHOWDER RECIPE | EATINGWELL
BACON CLAM CHOWDER RECIPE | RECIPELAND
Bacon Clam Chowder in a Bread Bowl - PoorMansGourmet23K views-05:03
This scrumptious clam chowder has a bacon twist290 views-04:12
How to make Bacon Clam Chowder462 views-08:28
~ "New England" clam chowder with bacon and shrimp ~2.1K views-09:04
Clam Chowder with Bacon185 views-03:02
Keto Clam Chowder Recipe [Slow Cooked with Bacon]14K views-02:25
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you make the best clam chowder?Increase heat to medium high and add celery and onion. Saute for 5-7 minutes or until onions are soft. Add potatoes, garlic, red pepper flakes (if using) and sauté 30 seconds. Sprinkle in flour and cook an additional 1 minute. Stir in chicken broth, reserved 2 ½ cups clam juice, chicken bouillon, bay leaves and all seasonings.
What is the purpose of bacon in clam chowder?Bacon serves two purposes in our clam chowder recipe. Crispy bacon crumbs are a delicious topping to the soup, providing both texture and a salty flavor. We also cook the vegetables in the bacon drippings, which adds a wonderful layer of flavor to the chowder. Chop the raw bacon into bite-sized pieces, then cook over medium heat unti crispy.
How to cook bacon and clam broth?Directions Start by making the clam broth: Put a large pot over medium heat, add the bacon and saute until the fat is rendered and the bacon is browned, about 5 minutes. Remove the cooked bacon pieces from the pot and reserve them for something else. Heat the butter and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat.
How do you cook clams and potatoes?Stir in flour; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Pour in wine; cook for 2 minutes, scraping up browned bits. Add potatoes, carrots, 1 1/2 cups water and all of the clam juice; season with salt and pepper. Bring to boil; reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until vegetables are tender.