PERFECT ROAST CHICKEN
For the perfect roast chicken dinner every time, try this popular recipe from Ina Garten, Food Network's Barefoot Contessa.
Provided by Ina Garten
Yield 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Remove the chicken giblets. Rinse the chicken inside and out. Remove any excess fat and leftover pin feathers and pat the outside dry. Liberally salt and pepper the inside of the chicken. Stuff the cavity with the bunch of thyme, both halves of lemon, and all the garlic. Brush the outside of the chicken with the butter and sprinkle again with salt and pepper. Tie the legs together with kitchen string and tuck the wing tips under the body of the chicken. Place the onions, carrots, and fennel in a roasting pan. Toss with salt, pepper, 20 sprigs of thyme, and olive oil. Spread around the bottom of the roasting pan and place the chicken on top.
- Roast the chicken for 1 1/2 hours, or until the juices run clear when you cut between a leg and thigh. Remove the chicken and vegetables to a platter and cover with aluminum foil for about 20 minutes. Slice the chicken onto a platter and serve it with the vegetables.
EASY ROASTED CHICKEN
Use this recipe to prep enough chicken to use it in wraps and salads all week; you can even cook two at once. To make Asian-Style Chicken Wraps, leave the chicken whole; if a recipe calls for shredded chicken, shred before storing.
Provided by Martha Stewart
Number Of Ingredients 3
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Tie chicken legs together with kitchen twine (tuck wings under chicken, if desired, for a neater presentation). Place chicken on a rack set in a roasting pan (or on a rimmed baking sheet).
- Rub chicken all over with butter; season with 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Roast until an instant-read thermometer registers 160 degrees when inserted in the thickest part of a thigh (avoiding bone), 45 to 50 minutes. Serve, or let cool before refrigerating, up to 3 days, covered.
JUICY ROASTED CHICKEN
My grandmother's recipe for roasted chicken. We are German and she used to do it this way all the time. I never have had a chicken this juicy before; this little trick works and makes the people eating it go silent. It's funny. We nibble on the celery after.
Provided by ROBINROCKINGBIRD
Number Of Ingredients 5
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Place chicken in a roasting pan, and season generously inside and out with salt and pepper. Sprinkle inside and out with onion powder. Place 3 tablespoons margarine in the chicken cavity. Arrange dollops of the remaining margarine around the chicken's exterior. Cut the celery into 3 or 4 pieces, and place in the chicken cavity.
- Bake uncovered 1 hour and 15 minutes in the preheated oven, to a minimum internal temperature of 180 degrees F (82 degrees C). Remove from heat, and baste with melted margarine and drippings. Cover with aluminum foil, and allow to rest about 30 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 423.1 calories, Carbohydrate 1.2 g, Cholesterol 97 mg, Fat 32.1 g, Fiber 0.2 g, Protein 30.9 g, SaturatedFat 7.4 g, Sodium 661.9 mg, Sugar 0.7 g
PERFECT ROAST CHICKEN
The almost universal appeal of roasted chicken stems from its power to comfort. The ideal roasted chicken recipe will leave your chicken golden brown and gleaming, tender, and juicy. The crackle of chicken as it roasts and the wondrous aroma that perfumes the kitchen provoke a feeling of satisfaction and fulfillment.
Provided by Martha Stewart
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Let chicken and 1 tablespoon butter stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Remove and discard the plastic pop-up timer from chicken if there is one. Remove the giblets and excess fat from the chicken cavity. Rinse chicken inside and out under cold running water. Dry chicken thoroughly with paper towels. Tuck the wing tips under the body. Sprinkle the cavity of the chicken liberally with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- In the center of a heavy-duty roasting pan, place onion slices in two rows, touching. Place the palm of your hand on top of lemon and, pressing down, roll lemon back and forth several times. This softens the lemon and allows the juice to flow more freely. Pierce entire surface of lemon with a fork. Using the side of a large knife, gently press on garlic cloves to open slightly. Insert garlic cloves, thyme sprigs, and lemon into cavity. Place chicken in pan, on onion slices. Cut about 18 inches of kitchen twine, bring chicken legs forward, cross them, and tie together.
- Spread the softened butter over entire surface of chicken, and sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Place in the oven, and roast until skin is deep golden brown and crisp and the juices run clear when pierced, about 1 1/2 hours. When chicken seems done, insert an instant-read thermometer into the breast, then the thigh. The breast temperature should read 180 degrees and the thigh 190 degrees.
- Remove chicken from oven, and transfer to a cutting board with a well. Let chicken stand 10 to 15 minutes so the juices settle. Meanwhile, pour the pan drippings into a shallow bowl or fat separator, and leave onions in the pan. Leave any brown baked-on bits in the bottom of the roasting pan, and remove and discard any blackened bits. Using a large spoon or fat separator, skim off and discard as much fat as possible. Pour the remaining drippings and the juices that have collected under the resting chicken back into the roasting pan. Place on the stove over medium-high heat to cook, about 1 minute. Add chicken stock, raise heat to high, and, using a wooden spoon, stir up and combine the brown bits with the stock until the liquid is reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Strain the gravy into a small bowl, pressing on onions to extract any liquid. Discard onions, and stir in the remaining tablespoon of cold butter until melted and incorporated. Untie the legs, and remove and discard garlic, thyme, and lemon. Carve, and serve gravy on the side.
REALLY EASY ROAST CHICKEN
Kids can help prepare this roast complete with carrots and potatoes, plus assist in making the lemony gravy to serve on the side.
Provided by Barney Desmazery
Categories Main course
Yield Serves 4 with leftover chicken
Number Of Ingredients 10
- KIDS: The writing in bold is for you. ADULTS: The rest is for you. Cut the string off the chicken. Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Get your child to use a pair of scissors to cut the elastic or string holding the chicken together.
- Stuff the chicken. Stuff the lemon halves in the cavity of the chicken with the garlic and herb sprig (if using).
- Time to get your hands mucky. Sit the chicken in a large roasting tin and use your hands to smear the butter all over it.
- Easy-peasy vegetables. Tip the carrots and potatoes into a large bowl, drizzle over the oil and toss everything together with your hands.
- Scatter the vegetables around the chicken. Scatter the vegetables in an even layer around the chicken, then season everything. Put the chicken in the oven and roast for 30 mins. Remove from the oven and give the vegetables a stir, reduce the heat to 200C/180C fan/gas 6, then return to the oven for 50 mins more.
- Test if the chicken is cooked. Remove the chicken from the oven. Using a cloth, pull the leg - if it easily comes away from the body, there is no sign of pink and the juices run clear, the chicken is cooked. If you have a digital cooking thermometer, it should read above 70C. Take the chicken out of the tin.
- Make a lemony sauce. Scoop the vegetables into a serving dish. Using a spoon or a pair of tongs, remove the garlic, lemon and herbs from the chicken and put them in the roasting tin. Squash them down well with a potato masher to release all the juice from the lemons.
- Strain the sauce. Pour in the chicken stock and soy sauce and give it all a good stir. Get the child to hold a sieve over a jug while you lift up the pan and strain the juices into the jug. If you want it piping hot, reheat in a pan or in the microwave.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 689 calories, Fat 36 grams fat, SaturatedFat 13 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 37 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 8 grams sugar, Fiber 6 grams fiber, Protein 53 grams protein, Sodium 1.4 milligram of sodium
STUPID SIMPLE ROAST CHICKEN
- Preheat an oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Place chicken into a roasting pan and insert lemon halves into the cavity; spread kosher salt over outside of chicken.
- Roast in the preheated oven until skin is browned and crisp, the juices run clear, and an instant-read meat thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a thigh, not touching bone, reads 160 degrees F (70 degrees C), about 1 hour. Let chicken rest for 15 minutes before carving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 383.2 calories, Carbohydrate 2 g, Cholesterol 129.3 mg, Fat 22.8 g, Fiber 0.9 g, Protein 41 g, SaturatedFat 6.4 g, Sodium 1084.8 mg
SIMPLEST ROAST CHICKEN
With an ingredient list just four items long (chicken, olive oil, salt, pepper), the genius of this bare-bones roast chicken is in its technique. To make it, thoroughly preheat a cast-iron skillet before sliding into it a seasoned bird, breast side up. In under an hour you'll get a stunner of a chicken, with moist, tender white meat, crisp, salty chicken skin, and juicy dark meat all done to a turn. If you don't already have a cast-iron skillet large enough to hold a whole chicken, this recipe is a good enough reason to invest in one.
Provided by Mark Bittman
Categories dinner, easy, main course
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 3
- Put a cast-iron skillet on a low rack in the oven and heat the oven to 500 degrees. Rub the chicken all over with the oil and sprinkle it generously with salt and pepper.
- When the oven and skillet are hot, carefully put the chicken in the skillet, breast side up. Roast for 15 minutes, then turn the oven temperature down to 350 degrees. Continue to roast until the bird is golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted into the meaty part of the thigh reads 155 to 165 degrees.
- Tip the pan to let the juices flow from the chicken's cavity into the pan. Transfer the chicken to a platter and let it rest for at least 5 minutes. Carve and serve.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 673, UnsaturatedFat 34 grams, Carbohydrate 1 gram, Fat 51 grams, Fiber 0 grams, Protein 50 grams, SaturatedFat 13 grams, Sodium 949 milligrams, Sugar 0 grams, TransFat 0 grams
SIMPLE ROAST CHICKEN
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Put the chicken in a large roasting tin, then stuff the garlic and bay leaves into the cavity. Rub the outside of the chicken with butter, then squeeze over the lemon juice and add the lemon halves to the inside of the chicken. Season inside and out, then cook the chicken for 20 mins.
- Turn the oven down to 190C/170C fan/gas 5 and cook for a further 45 mins or until the chicken juices run clear when you pierce the thigh with a knife. Leave to rest for 15 mins before carving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 564 calories, Fat 37 grams fat, SaturatedFat 15 grams saturated fat, Protein 57 grams protein, Sodium 0.59 milligram of sodium
MY FAVORITE SIMPLE ROAST CHICKEN
Editors' Note: We love Thomas Keller's roast chicken recipe so much that we asked him to share his favorite roast turkey recipe as well. Check out My Favorite Roast Turkey.
Provided by Thomas Keller
Yield 2-4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 5
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Rinse the chicken, then dry it very well with paper towels, inside and out. The less it steams, the drier the heat, the better.
- Salt and pepper the cavity, then truss the bird. Trussing is not difficult, and if you roast chicken often, it's a good technique to feel comfortable with. When you truss a bird, the wings and legs stay close to the body; the ends of the drumsticks cover the top of the breast and keep it from drying out. Trussing helps the chicken to cook evenly, and it also makes for a more beautiful roasted bird.
- Now, salt the chicken-I like to rain the salt over the bird so that it has a nice uniform coating that will result in a crisp, salty, flavorful skin (about 1 tablespoon). When it's cooked, you should still be able to make out the salt baked onto the crisp skin. Season to taste with pepper.
- Place the chicken in a sauté pan or roasting pan and, when the oven is up to temperature, put the chicken in the oven. I leave it alone-I don't baste it, I don't add butter; you can if you wish, but I feel this creates steam, which I don't want. Roast it until it's done, 50 to 60 minutes. Remove it from the oven and add the thyme, if using, to the pan. Baste the chicken with the juices and thyme and let it rest for 15 minutes on a cutting board.
- Remove the twine. Separate the middle wing joint and eat that immediately. Remove the legs and thighs. I like to take off the backbone and eat one of the oysters, the two succulent morsels of meat embedded here, and give the other to the person I'm cooking with. But I take the chicken butt for myself. I could never understand why my brothers always fought over that triangular tip-until one day I got the crispy, juicy fat myself. These are the cook's rewards. Cut the breast down the middle and serve it on the bone, with one wing joint still attached to each. The preparation is not meant to be superelegant. Slather the meat with fresh butter. Serve with mustard on the side and, if you wish, a simple green salad. You'll start using a knife and fork, but finish with your fingers, because it's so good.
BASIC ROASTED CHICKEN
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Sprinkle the inside of the chickens liberally with salt and pepper. Stuff each bird with 3 sprigs thyme, 2 cloves garlic, the bay leaf, onion and lemon. As the chickens cook, this will help keep them moist and also flavor the bird from the inside.
- Using kitchen twine, tie the legs together of each bird, and then tuck the wing tips underneath each body so it cooks evenly. Place the birds on a roasting rack over a roasting tray then sprinkle them with salt and pepper.
- Place in the oven and roast for 15 minutes. Then reduce the temperature to 375 degrees F and cook until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the joint between the leg and thigh registers 165 degrees F, approximately 1 hour more. When the chicken is done, the skin will be crispy and golden and the juices of the chicken will run clear. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 15 minutes before serving.
More about "basic roasted chicken recipes"
EASY WHOLE ROASTED CHICKEN RECIPE - CHOWHOUND
4.5/5 (139)Category Dinner, Weeknight Dinner, Main Dish
PERFECT ROAST CHICKEN RECIPE | JAMIE OLIVER CHRISTMAS RECIPES
Servings 4Total Time 1 hr 25 minsCategory Lunch & Dinner RecipesCalories 374 per serving
- Remove the chicken from the fridge 30 minutes before you want to cook it, to let it come up to room temperature.Preheat the oven to 240°C/475°F/gas 9.
- Break the garlic bulb into cloves, leaving them unpeeled.Pile all the veg, garlic and herbs into the middle of a large roasting tray and drizzle with oil.Drizzle the chicken with oil and season well with sea salt and black pepper, then rub all over the bird.
- Place the chicken on top of the vegetables.Carefully prick the lemon all over, using the tip of a sharp knife (if you have a microwave, you could pop the lemon in these for 40 seconds at this point as this will really bring out the flavour).
SIMPLE ROASTED CHICKEN PIECES - GIVE RECIPE
Reviews 13Calories 932 per servingCategory Dinner
EASY ROAST CHICKEN RECIPE - DIETHOOD
5/5 (30)Total Time 1 hr 40 minsCategory DinnerCalories 443 per serving
HOW TO MAKE PERFECT ROAST CHICKEN | CFYL @ FRED HUTCH
3.7/5 (22)Category Mains, BasicsCuisine Basic, FrenchCalories 2764 per serving
- Remove any packet of giblets from inside the chicken. If you aren’t squeamish, set aside the chicken’s neck and give the rest to the cat. He will be very happy.
- Rinse the chicken under cold water. Pat dry with a paper towel. Remove the excess fat from just inside the body cavity. Rub the chicken all over with a little olive oil. Salt and pepper it. Set it in a lightly oiled roasting pan.
- Squeeze the lemon over the chicken, then put the rind into the body cavity along with the shallot, garlic, chicken neck and 2 sprigs of thyme. Lay 4 of the remaining thyme sprigs over the breast and tuck 2 in the creases between the legs and the body. Put the bird in the hot oven on a middle shelf.
10 BEST OVEN ROASTED CHICKEN BREAST RECIPES | YUMMLY
BASIC ROASTED CHICKEN - RECIPES, FAMILY FUN & LIFESTYLE TIPS
4.4/5 (116)Category Main DishesServings 4Total Time 35 mins
BASIC WHOLE ROAST CHICKEN RECIPE | EATINGWELL
5/5 (2)Total Time 1 hr 35 minsCategory Healthy Whole Chicken RecipesCalories 247 per serving
- Combine butter, 1 tablespoon herbs, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper in a small bowl. Remove giblets from chicken and reserve for another use. Loosen and lift the skin from the breast with your fingers and spread the butter mixture under it, starting at the neck end. Place lemon and garlic in the cavity. Tie the legs together with kitchen string. Place carrots, celery and onion in a large broiler-safe pot. Place the chicken breast-side up on the vegetables and put the lid on.
- Roast the chicken for 1 hour. Increase oven temperature to broil. Uncover and broil until golden brown and a thermometer inserted in a thigh without touching bone registers 165 degrees F, 6 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer the chicken to a clean cutting board and let stand for 15 minutes before carving. Serve sprinkled with the remaining 1 tablespoon herbs and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
EASY ROASTED CHICKEN RECIPE + VIDEO - PLATINGS + PAIRINGS
Ratings 162Calories 361 per servingCategory Main Dish
- Combine olive oil with spices in small bowl and mix well. Rub half of your spice mix under the skin of the breast side and back side. Rub the remaining spices on the outside of your chicken.
PERFECT SIMPLE ROAST CHICKEN - CRISPIEST SKIN, JUCIEST ...
5/5 (16)Total Time 1 hrCategory Main CourseCalories 312 per serving
- Place into baking pan and cook for 15 minutes, then lower heat to 375 degrees and cook for 40-45 minutes or until the middle of the thigh reads 165 degrees on a probe thermometer.
SIMPLE WHOLE ROASTED CHICKEN RECIPE | MYRECIPES
4/5 (1)Total Time 1 hr 5 mins
18 EASY ROAST CHICKEN RECIPES FOR COZY FALL NIGHTS
Author Erica Chayes Wida
DREW BARRYMORE ROAST CHICKEN RECIPE | SUNDAY ROAST
BUTTERMILK ROAST CHICKEN - COOKING CLASSY
SUPER SIMPLE FRENCH ROAST CHICKEN RECIPE - LE CHEF'S WIFE
10 BEST ROASTED CHICKEN PIECES RECIPES | YUMMLY
CHRISTMAS CHICKEN RECIPE (CHRISTMAS ROAST CHICKEN ...
HOW TO MAKE EASY ROASTED CHICKEN - CHOWHOUND
#time-to-make #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #north-american #very-low-carbs #poultry #american #easy #beginner-cook #dietary #high-protein #low-carb #high-in-something #low-in-something #meat #4-hours-or-less
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to cook simple roast chicken?Simple Roast Chicken flavored with garlic, butter and herbs, then oven roasted to a golden, crispy, and juicy perfection! Preheat oven to 450˚F. Remove giblets from inside of the chicken's cavity. Thoroughly dry the chicken with paper towels.
What is the best way to cook chicken in the oven?Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Advertisement. Place chicken in a roasting pan, and season generously inside and out with salt and pepper. Sprinkle inside and out with onion powder. Place 3 tablespoons margarine in the chicken cavity.
How many ingredients do you need for garlic lemon roast chicken?This Easy Garlic Lemon Roast Chicken Recipe is the type of meal you can eat alone, or shred and use in everything from tacos, soups, chicken salad, or even nachos! ONLY 6 INGREDIENTS! Garlic Lemon Roasted Chicken with only 6 Ingredients!
What is the best way to cook a boneless chicken breast?Preparation. Rub the chicken all over with the oil and sprinkle it generously with salt and pepper. When the oven and skillet are hot, carefully put the chicken in the skillet, breast side up. Roast for 15 minutes, then turn the oven temperature down to 350 degrees. Continue to roast until the bird is golden brown and an instant-read thermometer...