BEEF STEW WITH DUMPLINGS
- In a bowl, toss cubed beef with flour to coat.
- Heat 4 tablespoons butter in a heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Place flour in a bag or bowl, and add beef cubes. Toss to coat with flour. Place coated cubes in the skillet and fry until well-browned on all sides; remove from pan and set aside.
- Cook onion and garlic in same pan until tender. Return meat to pan with water, parsley, salt, pepper, and bay leaf. Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally and adding more water if needed. Stir in potatoes, carrots, celery, and green pepper, and continue cooking another 15 minutes. Remove the bay leaf, and stir in mushrooms.
- In a small bowl, mix together baking mix, 3 tablespoons melted butter, and milk until just blended. Drop dough by the tablespoonful into stew. Simmer, uncovered, approximately 10 minutes. Cover, and simmer 10 minutes more, or until dumplings are cooked through, but not dry.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 829.8 calories, Carbohydrate 48.3 g, Cholesterol 164.4 mg, Fat 51.8 g, Fiber 4.7 g, Protein 42.5 g, SaturatedFat 23.7 g, Sodium 1181 mg, Sugar 6.6 g
BEEF STEW WITH HERB DUMPLINGS
Nothing could be more comforting on a chilly day than a bowlful of this nicely seasoned stew.-Anna Broschart, Elkins, West Virginia
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 10-12 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 22
- In a resealable plastic bag, combine four, salt and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a Dutch oven, brown meat in oil. Add water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1-1/2 hours. , Add the vegetables, parsley, thyme and bay leaf. Cover and simmer until meat and vegetables are tender, about 30 minutes. Discard bay leaf. Add browning sauce if desired. , For dumplings, combine the flour, baking powder, salt, thyme and sage. Cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in milk until moistened. , Drop by heaping tablespoonfuls onto simmering stew. Cover and simmer 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift cover while simmering). Serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 312 calories, Fat 11g fat (3g saturated fat), Cholesterol 49mg cholesterol, Sodium 663mg sodium, Carbohydrate 33g carbohydrate (5g sugars, Fiber 3g fiber), Protein 19g protein.
HERBED BEEF STEW AND DUMPLINGS
Meet the Cook: With our supply of homegrown beef, I'm always searching for new ideas on how to cook it. That's the way I came to invent this dish. Everyone loves it! My husband and I have three children, all of them now grown. -Madeleine DeGruchy, Antigonish, Nova Scotia
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 6 servings.
Number Of Ingredients 23
- In a 5-qt. Dutch oven, brown beef in oil. Add onions; cook until onions are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in 3 cups water and all the seasonings. Cover and simmer until the meat is tender, about 2 to 2-1/2 hours. , Add carrots and parsnips; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in browning sauce if desired. Combine cornstarch and remaining water until smooth; gradually stir into stew. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; boil for 1 minute. , For dumplings, combine the flour, baking powder, parsley if desired and salt. Stir in the egg, oil and water. Drop into six mounds onto simmering stew. Cover and cook for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in a dumpling comes out clean (do not lift the cover while simmering).
Nutrition Facts : Calories 416 calories, Fat 13g fat (3g saturated fat), Cholesterol 82mg cholesterol, Sodium 882mg sodium, Carbohydrate 53g carbohydrate (12g sugars, Fiber 7g fiber), Protein 21g protein.
BEEF STEW WITH HERBED DUMPLINGS
- Make stew:
- Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 325°F. Pat beef dry. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Heat oil in heavy large ovenproof pot over medium-high heat. Working in batches, cook beef until brown, stirring occasionally and scraping up browned bits, about 8 minutes. Transfer meat to bowl.
- Add bacon to same pot. Sauté until crisp, scraping up browned bits, about 5 minutes. Add onions, garlic, thyme and bay leaf. Cover and cook until onions are tender, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes. Return beef and any accumulated juices to pot. Add 5 cups canned beef broth and crushed tomatoes with purée. Cover and bring to simmer.
- Transfer pot to oven. Bake until beef is just tender, stirring occasionally, about 1 hour. Add carrots and rutabagas. Cover; bake until vegetables are crisp-tender, about 30 minutes. Uncover; bake until beef is very tender, about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare dumplings:
- Whisk milk and eggs in medium bowl to blend. Stir in chives and parsley. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into large bowl. Add milk mixture. Stir just until blended.
- Whisk remaining 1/2 cup canned beef broth and cornstarch in small bowl to blend. Bring stew to simmer over medium heat. Gradually stir cornstarch mixture into stew. Return stew to simmer, stirring until sauce thickens.
- Spoon dumpling batter in 12 dollops atop simmering stew. Cover tightly; simmer until dumplings are puffed and tester inserted into center of dumplings comes out clean, about 15 minutes.
- Serve stew with dumplings.
MOM'S HEARTY BEEF STEW WITH DUMPLINGS
- Heat the olive oil in a large heavy pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat until the oil is shimmering, and place the onion and beef into the hot oil. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon of the steak seasoning, stir the meat and onions well, and sprinkle with 1 more teaspoon of seasoning. Add the celery, and cook and stir until the meat is browned, about 10 minutes.
- Pour in 2 cups of water to just cover the meat, onion, and celery, bring to a boil, and stir and scrape the browned bits of flavor from the bottom of the pan. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer until the beef is very tender, about 2 hours. Remove the meat and celery pieces from the pan, set the meat aside, and discard the celery.
- In a bowl, whisk together the gravy mix with 4 cups of water. Add the mixture to the juices in the pot, bring to a boil, and stir the meat back into the gravy mixture. Stir in the turnip and carrots, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in the potatoes, cover, and simmer an additional 20 minutes.
- To make dumplings, mix the flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl. Cut the shortening into the flour mixture with a pastry cutter or two knives until the mixture looks crumbly. Pour in the milk, and lightly stir the mixture just until it combines to form a dough.
- Remove 2 cups of gravy from the pot, and reserve. Drop the dumplings by heaping tablespoon onto the meat and vegetables in the pot, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Do not peek until the time is up. Pour the reserved gravy back over the dumplings, stir lightly, and serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 514.6 calories, Carbohydrate 64.7 g, Cholesterol 62.1 mg, Fat 15.1 g, Fiber 6.5 g, Protein 29.7 g, SaturatedFat 4.7 g, Sodium 1261.3 mg, Sugar 5.3 g
BEEF AND MUSHROOM STEW WITH HERBED DUMPLINGS
Let me tell you a story about this recipe. I made this back in September and my boyfriend and I agreed it was the best beef stew we had ever tasted. Ever. So I cut it out to save it, only to promptly lose it a few days later. Undeterred, I scoured the Real Simple magazine (where I found it) recipe database -- it wasn't there. I called their customer service -- they didn't have access to it either. I searched the web, with no luck. I even posted a recipe request on 'Zaar. Finally, I called customer service again and ordered a back issue of the magazine. I was truly a woman obsessed. So now that the back issue has arrived, I'm posting it online so I never have to worry about losing it again :) This is really an amazing dish, and it was worth all the effort to have this back in my recipe archive.
Provided by enigmused
Yield 4 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 13
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Working in batches, cook the meat until browned on all sides, 5-7 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Add the onions to pan and cook for 7 minutes. Add the Marsala or sherry and cook, stirring for 1 minute. Return meat to pan, along with the broth, tomato paste, salt and pepper. Cover and transfer to oven.
- Heat the remaining oil and the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the thyme and cook for 1 minute.
- After the stew has been in the oven for 1 hour, 15 minutes, add the mushrooms. Cover and return to oven for 45 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, prepare the biscuit mix according to the package directions, adding the chopped fresh herbs. Drop the biscuit dough in heaping tablespoons on top of the stew. Return pan to oven and cook, uncovered, for 15 minutes. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
- To make in advance: Remove the stew from oven aftere 1 hour, 15 minutes and let cool. Do not cook the mushrooms or add them to the casserole. Cover and refrigerate overnight. To finish cooking, brown the mushrooms and continue as directed.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 870.9, Fat 55.5, SaturatedFat 18.8, Cholesterol 127, Sodium 1749.8, Carbohydrate 41.8, Fiber 2.2, Sugar 9.5, Protein 38.8
WINTRY BEEF VEGETABLE STEW WITH FLUFFY HERB DUMPLINGS
Here's our family favorite recipe for a great hearty and satisfying beef stew, that I make each year throughout the cold weather season. Plentiful with tender chunks of beef and a nice variety of vegetables, and the fluffiest most delicious herb dumplings, ever! Perfect for a cold autumn or winter's day. Serve this stew piping hot with a buttered baguette and a good cider, ale, or wine. Enjoy! Note: As with all good stews, this stew is even better reheated the next day, after flavors have had a chance to meld. Stew leftovers freeze and reheat beautifully, and would make a delicious cottage or shepherd's pie.
Provided by BecR2400
Yield 10-12 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 25
- Cook and stir beef in shortening in heavy 8-10 quart stock pot, until beef is well browned. (Note: If too much liquid builds up to prevent adequate browning, pour off excess liquid into a bowl and reserve. Continue to brown the beef and when well browned, add the reserved liquid back into the pot.).
- Add 5 cups hot water, 1/2 teaspoon salt and the black pepper.
- Heat to boiling; reduce heat.
- Cover and simmer until beef is almost tender, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Stir in potato, turnip, rutabaga, carrots, green pepper, green beans (if using), celery, onion, bouquet sauce, the bouillon cube and bay leaves.
- Cover and simmer until vegetables are tender (but do not overcook), stirring once, about 25 minutes.
- Prepare dough (see below) for Dumplings; set aside.
- Using a fork, blend together 1 cup cold water and the 4 tablespoons flour in a small mixing bowl; stir gradually into stew.
- Heat to boiling, stirring constantly.
- Boil and stir 1 minute; reduce heat.
- Do ahead tip: After boiling and stirring 1 minute, stew can be covered and refrigerated no longer than 48 hours. To serve, heat to boiling over medium-high heat. Continue as directed.
- In a large bowl, cut shortening into combined flour, baking powder, salt, parsley and herbs until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Stir in milk.
- Drop by heaping tablespoons onto hot meat or vegetables in boiling stew (do not drop directly into liquid).
- Cook uncovered 15 minutes.
- Cover and cook about 15 minutes longer. Cut a dumpling in half to test for doneness; you want them done but not dry!
- Serve stew piping hot, with a buttered baguette and a glass of cider, ale, or wine. As with all good stews, this stew is even better reheated the next day, after flavors have had a chance to meld. Stew leftovers freeze and reheat beautifully, and would make a delicious cottage or shepherd's pie.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 526.4, Fat 21.6, SaturatedFat 7.4, Cholesterol 71.5, Sodium 698.4, Carbohydrate 55.8, Fiber 5.6, Sugar 6.1, Protein 27.1
More about "beef stew with herbed dumplings recipes"
BEEF STEW WITH HERBED DUMPLINGS | LOUISIANA KITCHEN
BEEF STEW WITH LIGHT HERBY DUMPLINGS RECIPE - BBC FOOD
GUINNESS BEEF STEW WITH CHEDDAR HERB DUMPLINGS - HOMEMADE …
BEEF STEW AND DUMPLINGS - JAMES MARTIN CHEF
BEEF STEW WITH DUMPLINGS RECIPE | ALLRECIPES
HOUSE ELF BEEF & DUMPLING STEW | HARRY POTTER INSPIRED RECIPES
BEEF STEW WITH HERBY DUMPLINGS RECIPE | FOOD NETWORK UK
BEEF STEW WITH HERBED DUMPLINGS | THE ENGLISH KITCHEN
BEEF STEW WITH HERBED DUMPLINGS – NANA'S RECIPES
BEEF STEW WITH HERBED POTATO DUMPLINGS RECIPE | MYRECIPES
GUINNESS BEEF STEW WITH CHEDDAR HERB DUMPLINGS - HOST THE TOAST
TRINIDAD STEW BEEF WITH HERBED DUMPLINGS (RECIPE)
BEEF STEW WITH DUMPLINGS - A FAMILY FEAST
BEEF STEW WITH HERB DUMPLINGS, UNOFFICIAL HARRY POTTER …
TOP 49 CROCK POT BEEF STEW RECIPES - ISTIMEWA.DIXIESEWING.COM
BEEF STEW WITH HERB DUMPLINGS - FOOD24
BEEF STEW WITH DUMPLINGS - GOOD OLD FASHIONED COMFORT FOOD
IRISH STOUT BEEF STEW WITH HERBED DUMPLINGS. - HOW …
TRADITIONAL BRITISH BEEF STEW AND SUET DUMPLINGS RECIPE - THE …
TOMATO BEEF STEW WITH HERBED DUMPLINGS - FOOD24
BEEF STEW WITH HERB DUMPLINGS | RHODES FOOD GROUP
TOP 40 HERBED BEEF STEW AND DUMPLINGS RECIPES
CROCK POT HEARTY BEEF STEW WITH HERBED DUMPLINGS - THE …
BEEF STEW WITH HERB DUMPLINGS - GOODNESS ME!
IRISH BEEF STEW WITH HERBED DUMPLING - CULINARY IMMIGRATION
MOMS HEARTY BEEF STEW WITH DUMPLINGS RECIPE ALLRECIPES
BEEF STEW WITH DUMPLINGS (SLOW COOKER RECIPE) - KYLEE COOKS
BEEF STEW WITH CHEESY CHEDDAR DUMPLINGS - DONAL SKEHAN
BEEF STEW WITH HERB DUMPLINGS RECIPE | EAT SMARTER USA
TOP 41 BEEF STEW WITH HERBED DUMPLINGS RECIPES
SLOW COOKER BEEF STEW & HERB DUMPLINGS - TALES FROM THE …
BEEF BEER STEW WITH HERB DUMPLINGS RECIPE | SCHWARTZ
BEEF STEW WITH HERBED POTATO DUMPLINGS | HUNGRY JACK POTATOES
BEEF STEW WITH HERB DUMPLINGS | WHATSFORDINNER
BEEF STEW WITH HERBED DUMPLINGS - OAK COTTAGE RECIPES - GOOGLE
MOMS HEARTY BEEF STEW WITH DUMPLINGS RECIPE ALLRECIPES
HEARTY BEEF STEW WITH HERB DUMPLINGS RECIPE | COLES
ROAST BEEF RECIPE WITH GRAVY (VIDEO) - NATASHASKITCHEN.COM
30-MINUTE BEEF AND DUMPLINGS RECIPE | DELICIOUS. MAGAZINE
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to make beef stew with dumplings?Stir the beef stock and flour together and add to the stew so that it will thicken. Meanwhile, make the dumplings and add to the top of the stew. Turn to high and cook for an additional 30 minutes. Serve immediately. This savory beef stew is nutritious and wholesome. Herb Dumplings give you the perfect way to soak up the delicious gravy.
How do you make herb dumplings?For the herb dumplings. In a medium bowl, mix baking mix, thyme and sage. Stir in milk just until mix is just combined. Drop dough in large spoonfuls (I use a cookie scoop) on top of beef stew. Switch the heat setting to high, and cover. Cook until a toothpick inserted in the dumplings comes out clean (about 20 minutes).
How do you make a beef stew?2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes 2 tablespoons canola oil 4 cups water 5 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed 2 medium onions, chopped 1-1/2 cups sliced carrots (1/2-inch pieces) 1 cup chopped celery 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme 1 bay leaf Browning sauce, optional DUMPLINGS: 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
What are the ingredients in beef dumplings?This savory beef stew is nutritious and wholesome. Herb Dumplings give you the perfect way to soak up the delicious gravy. Combine the beef, celery, garlic, potatoes, carrots, onions, tomatoes, thyme, pepper, mustard, mushrooms, and wine . Cover and cook on a low heat for 8 to 10 hours or a high heat for 4 or 5 hours.