BLACK BEAN BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
Black bean butternut squash soup - healthy, delicious recipe for those cold evenings in the Fall and in the Winter. This savory soup is super comforting. It is also a great side dish for Thanksgiving and Christmas.
Provided by Julia
Categories Side Dish
Number Of Ingredients 15
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Add chopped onion, minced shallots, minced garlic cloves, 1 tablespoon cumin, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper. Saute on medium heat for about 5 minutes, until onions are translucent. Add chopped fresh tomatoes (or canned tomatoes), and continue cooking for 5 more minutes.
- Add black beans, butternut squash and 1 cup chicken broth to food processor. Process until finely pureed. Add onion mixture from the saucepan to the food processor and process everything (pureed beans and butternut squash plus onion mixture) together until smooth.
- Place the pureed mixture back in the saucepan, add 1 cup chicken broth, 1/2 cup dry sherry, stir until well combined, and simmer, covered, on low heat for 20 minutes. Season with more salt and cumin if necessary.
- To my taste I use 1 teaspoon salt total (but I notated 1/2 teaspoon because you might find 1 teaspoon too salty - judge for yourself). I also season with 1 tablespoon and 2 teaspoons cumin total - to your taste 1 tablespoon total from step 1 might be enough.
- To serve, sprinkle with heavy cream swirls, salt and pepper on top.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 175 kcal, Carbohydrate 23 g, Protein 5 g, Fat 6 g, SaturatedFat 3 g, Cholesterol 18 mg, Sodium 496 mg, Fiber 5 g, Sugar 5 g, ServingSize 1 serving
BLACK BEAN BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
- Remove the seeds from your squash, cut off the peel, then cut into small cubes.
- Finely chop the onion and bell pepper.
- Mince your garlic.
- Drain and rinse a can of black beans (or cook from dry).
- Warm avocado oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add chopped onion and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Then add chopped bell pepper and minced garlic. Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Next, add the spices.
- Toss to coat the spices evenly around your vegetables.
- Add the cooking sherry/ wine and cook until it's reduced by (at least) half. This takes about 3-4 minutes, or longer if you use more. Scrape around the bottom of your pot to lift any spices/ flavor that may have stuck.
- Add the remaining ingredients.
- Cook until the squash is soft, about 10 minutes. I recommend adding a lid to the pot for the first 10 minutes, then removing it for the last 10 minutes (keep lid on if you like a thinner soup).
- You can speed the cooking process by turning up the heat to medium-high. I prefer a slightly longer cooking time to give the flavors time to meld together.
- Decide if you want to serve the soup as-is, partially blended or fully blended (it's a very thick soup when fully blended).
- Use an immersion blender, regular blender or food processor to blend the soup.
- For a partially blended soup, blend anywhere from ¼ to ¾ of the soup (recipe photos show about ½ the soup blended).
- Serve the soup hot and garnish with any of your favorite toppings like cilantro, vegan sour cream, avocado, tortilla chips, pepitas, sprinkle of smoked paprika, etc.
Nutrition Facts : ServingSize 1 Serving (1/4 of recipe), Calories 328 kcal, Carbohydrate 57 g, Protein 11 g, Fat 8 g, SaturatedFat 1 g, Sodium 862 mg, Fiber 18 g, Sugar 10 g, UnsaturatedFat 7 g
BLACK BEAN AND BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
This is a tasty and easy to make soup. I like it because you can leave it soupy as is, or run your immersion blender around a couple of times to make the soup thicker and creamier without adding actual cream.
Provided by threeovens
Categories Black Beans
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 11
- In a large pot or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat and saute the onions until they are just beginning to brown, about 5 to 8 minutes. Add the garlic, squash and broth. Turn the heat down to a gentle simmer, cover, and cook until the vegetables are tender, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Stir in the spices and beans and let cook another 10 minutes. Taste for salt. At this point you can thicken the soup by doing a few pulses with your immersion blender, but it is just as good as is.
- To serve: Ladle soup into individual serving bowl and garnish with chopped avocado and chopped cilantro.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 137.7, Fat 2.8, SaturatedFat 2.1, Sodium 5.3, Carbohydrate 24.1, Fiber 6.8, Sugar 2.3, Protein 6.1
BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND BEAN SOUP
- Soak the beans overnight, or for at least 6 hours, in enough cold water to cover. Drain and transfer to a large pot or Dutch oven. Add the water and bay leaves. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer, covered, until almost tender, 45 to 50 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon of the salt and cook 10 more minutes.
- Make the croutons: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spread the bread cubes on a baking sheet and bake until golden brown, 5 to 10 minutes. Transfer the cubes to a large bowl and toss with the garlic, salt, pepper, oil, and sage. Let stand 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a second large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, celery, parsnip, garlic, and sage, and cook until the vegetables have softened but are not colored, about 10 minutes. Add the squash and cook for 10 more minutes. Season with the remaining tablespoon of salt, and the black and Aleppo peppers. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Spoon 1 cup of the cooked beans along with 1/4 cup of their cooking liquid into a blender and puree until smooth. Using a rubber spatula, scrape the puree into the pan with the vegetables. Add the whole beans with their cooking liquid, the bay leaves, and honey, and simmer until the vegetables are completely tender, about 10 more minutes. Taste and adjust the seasoning if desired.
- Serve the soup in warm bowls, topped with the croutons.
ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND BLACK BEAN SOUP
Adapted from Black Bean Chili With Butternut Squash By Queen Dana. This version is more soup-like and uses canned beans.
Provided by Cook4_6
Categories < 4 Hours
Yield 8-10 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 17
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Split butternut squash in half, longwise and brush with 2 T olive oil.
- Bake for 40 minutes on convection or 60 minutes on standard until soft.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 1/2 T. olive oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add onions and cook until soft and beginning to brown, stirring often, about 8 minutes.
- Add garlic; stir 1 minute.
- Sprinkle chili powder and coriander over; stir 1 minute.
- Stir in tomatoes with juice, beans with juice, chipotles, and oregano.
- Add water and broth.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring occasionally until the squash in the oven is done.
- Remove squash from the oven and allow it to cool for about 10 minutes or until it can be handled. Scoop it from the shell and cut into bite sized pieces.
- Using a emulsion blender, blend about 60% of the contents of the soup to thicken it.
- Season to taste with coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Top with any or all of the ingredients listed.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 341.2, Fat 8, SaturatedFat 1.3, Sodium 435.4, Carbohydrate 60.6, Fiber 15.2, Sugar 10.7, Protein 13.7
ROASTED BUTTERNUT SQUASH BLACK BEAN SOUP
Fall soup gone hearty! Or is it hearty black bean soup gone autumn? Either way, this mash-up of two favorite is a warming, satiating affair.
Provided by Kare for Kitchen Treaty
Number Of Ingredients 23
- First, get the butternut squash in the oven. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Add butternut squash to a large bowl and toss with olive oil. Sprinkle with cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper and toss again until well-coated. Spread on a large rimmed baking sheet - I like to line mine with parchment paper for easier clean-up. Bake, stirring once or twice, until tender and some sides are golden brown, about 25 minutes.
- While the squash roasts, start the soup. Set a medium soup pot over medium-low heat. Add the olive oil. When hot, add the onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is soft and just beginning to brown, about 8 minutes. Add garlic, cumin, cinnamon, cayenne, 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and cook, stirring constantly, for one minute.
- Add the vegetable broth and 2 cans (3 cups) of the drained black beans. Stir well and remove from heat.
- When the squash is cooked, add half the squash to the soup. Working in batches with a blender or using an immersion blender, puree the soup. Return the soup to the stovetop and add the remaining can (1 1/2 cups) beans and all but 1/2 cup of the remaining butternut squash. Stir and cook over medium low until hot.
- Add red wine vinegar and stir to combine. Taste and add more salt, pepper, and/or cayenne if desired.
- Serve with assorted toppings and reserved roasted butternut squash.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 226 kcal, Sugar 7 g, Sodium 843 mg, Fat 7 g, SaturatedFat 1 g, Carbohydrate 38 g, Fiber 8 g, Protein 6 g, ServingSize 1 serving
BEAN AND BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
- Place Great Northern beans into a large container and cover with several inches of cool water; let stand 8 hours to overnight. Drain.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat; cook and stir onion and garlic in the hot oil until onion is translucent, 5 to 10 minutes. Add bay leaves and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Mix beans, water, and bouillon into onion mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover pot, and simmer, stirring occasionally, until beans are tender, about 1 hour.
- Stir squash, carrots, celery, salt, black pepper, white pepper, ginger, and allspice into broth mixture; simmer until squash and carrots are tender, about 20 minutes.
- Remove bay leaves from broth mixture and discard. Scoop 2 to 3 cups of vegetable-bean mixture using a slotted spoon from broth; blend broth and remaining vegetable-bean mixture using a hand blender until smooth. Return the vegetable-bean mixture to broth mixture and stir in sausage. Simmer soup until sausage is cooked through, 5 to 10 more minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 370.3 calories, Carbohydrate 56.4 g, Cholesterol 26.8 mg, Fat 8.2 g, Fiber 15.5 g, Protein 20.5 g, SaturatedFat 1.9 g, Sodium 1446.8 mg, Sugar 6.9 g
BUTTERNUT SQUASH AND BLACK BEAN TOSTADAS
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Toss butternut squash with olive oil, garlic, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Spread evenly over a large rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until squash is tender and just starting to brown at the edges, 25 to 35 minutes.
- While squash is baking, empty beans into a small pot over low heat. Add garlic and cumin; stir well and continue to warm for a few minutes until heated through. Turn off heat, cover, and set aside.
- Heat 1 to 2 tablespoons of water in a large skillet over medium heat. Add as much spinach as can fit. Sprinkle with salt, stir, and cook until spinach starts to wilt. Add additional spinach as it cooks down and makes more room. Cook, stirring occasionally, until all spinach is wilted, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Top tortillas with the squash, beans, and spinach. Drizzle crema over tostadas.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 228.4 calories, Carbohydrate 43.1 g, Cholesterol 4.1 mg, Fat 3.9 g, Fiber 11.1 g, Protein 9.5 g, SaturatedFat 1.1 g, Sodium 396.7 mg, Sugar 3.3 g
More about "black beanbutternut squash soup recipes"
BLACK BEAN SQUASH SOUP - LEAN BELLAS KITCHEN
INSTANT POT BUTTERNUT SQUASH BLACK BEAN STEW - PROFUSION CURRY
BLACK BEAN BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP RECIPE (VEGAN + GF)
THE KOLLEE KITCHEN | BLACK BEAN BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
10 BEST BUTTERNUT SQUASH BLACK BEAN SOUP RECIPES
EASY BUTTERNUT BLACK BEAN SOUP | SUMPTUOUS SPOONFULS
BLACK BEAN & BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP – @MAMASHEENAS
BLACK BEAN BUTTERNUT SQUASH RECIPES
RECIPE: BLACK BEAN AND BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP - RECIPELINK.COM
BLACK BEAN BUTTERNUT SQUASH STEW - HEALTHIER STEPS
BLACK BEAN & WINTER SQUASH SOUP - COOK FOR YOUR LIFE
SPICY BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP WITH BLACK BEANS - LAST …
BLACK BEAN BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP - LIVE SIMPLY NATURAL
BLACK BEAN BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP | SQUASH SOUP RECIPE, RECIPES ...
BLACK BEAN BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP - THE KOLLEE KITCHEN
BLACK BEAN BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP - MARBLE-TILE-OUTDOORS
BLACK BEAN BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP - BARBARARODGERSONLINE.COM
BLACK BEAN & BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP + MORE HEALTHY SLOW-COOKER …
BUTTERNUT SQUASH BLACK BEAN SOUP | HEALTHY APERTURE
BLACK BEAN BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP | SALADMASTER RECIPES
BLACK BEAN BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP RECIPE (VEGAN + GF)
BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP R - THERESCIPES.INFO
BLACK BEAN + BUTTERNUT SOUP — SPROUTED KITCHEN
BLACK BEAN BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP | RECIPE | BUTTERNUT SQUASH …
BLACK BEAN-BUTTERNUT SOUP – NEURORESERVE BRAIN TABLE
BLACK BEAN BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP - GANDER-OUTDOORS-RELOADING
INSTANT POT: BLACK BEAN + BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP - MORE TIME …
10 BEST BUTTERNUT SQUASH BLACK BEAN SOUP RECIPES
BLACK BEAN BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP - ASIAN BREAKFAST FOODS
BLACK BEAN AND BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
BUTTERNUT SQUASH TOMATO SOUP RECIPE - THERESCIPES.INFO
BLACK BEAN/BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
BUTTERNUT SQUASH PEAR SOUP RECIPE - THERESCIPES.INFO
EASY BLACK BEAN AND BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP
BLACK BEAN BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST
TUSCAN WHITE BEAN AND BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP - FORK KNIFE SWOON
BLACK BEAN BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP - ASIAN EGG BREAKFAST
BLACK BEAN AND BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP - CATSKILL ANIMAL SANCTUARY
BLACK BEAN AND BUTTERNUT SQUASH CHILI RECIPE | MYRECIPES
You'll also love