BRAISED LAMB SHANKS WITH WHITE BEANS
- Make small incisions in the lamb shanks and stud them with the slivers of garlic. Sprinkle the lamb with the rosemary. Coat the shanks with two tablespoons of the olive oil, cover, and marinate overnight in the refrigerator. Soak the beans overnight in cold water to cover.
- Rinse the beans, put them in a large saucepan and cover them with fresh water. Add an onion, chopped, the herb bouquet, and salt and pepper. Simmer for about an hour, or until the beans are tender.
- Heat remaining olive oil in a large pan and brown the lamb shanks on all sides. Remove the shanks and pour off the fat.
- Chop the remaining onions and add them to the pan. Cook gently until the onions are soft. Add the carrots, wine, lamb shanks and stock. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Drain beans, reserving cooking liquid. In a large casserole, put a layer of beans, a layer of salt pork, the vegetables and the juice from the shanks and then the shanks. Add remaining beans and juices. If the stew is too dry, add some of the liquid from the beans. Bake one hour.
- Sprinkle with bread crumbs and butter and bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes longer. Sprinkle with the parsley and serve.
BRAISED LAMB SHANKS WITH WHITE BEANS
- Make lamb shanks:
- Pat lamb shanks dry and season with salt and pepper. In an 8-quart heavy flameproof casserole heat oil over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking and brown lamb shanks well in batches, transferring to a plate as browned. To casserole add onion, carrot, celery, and garlic and sauté until onion is softened. Add wine and simmer mixture, stirring occasionally, until liquid is reduced to about 3 cups. Return lamb shanks to casserole and stir in broth, tomato paste, and thyme. Bring liquid to a boil and simmer, covered, stirring and turning lamb shanks occasionally, 1 1/2 hours. Simmer mixture, uncovered, stirring occasionally, 1 hour more, or until lamb shanks are tender.
- Make the gremolata while lamb is cooking:
- In a small bowl stir together gremolata ingredients.
- Make beans while lamb is cooking:
- In a saucepan heat oil over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking and cook onions, carrots, celery, and garlic, stirring, 2 or 3 minutes, or until softened. Add beans, 2 cups broth, butter, and bay leaf and cook over moderate heat, stirring occasionally and adding enough remaining broth to keep beans moist and to reach a creamy consistency, about 30 minutes. Discard bay leaf and add half of gremolata and salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer lamb shanks to a plate and keep warm, covered with foil. Strain braising liquid through a sieve into a saucepan, discarding solids, and stir in butter and tarragon. Boil sauce, stirring occasionally, until thickened slightly. Strain sauce through sieve into a bowl and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Sprinkle lamb shanks with remaining gremolata and serve with beans and sauce.
BRAISED LAMB SHANKS
Provided by Food Network
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Heat the olive oil in a large, deep Dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid over moderate heat until hot but not smoking. Season the lamb shanks with salt and pepper and cook, in batches if necessary, turning with tongs, until well browned, about 10 minutes each batch. Remove the lamb shanks with tongs to a plate and set aside.
- Stir the onions, carrots, rosemary, bay leaves, and garlic into the dutch oven and cook, stirring, until the onions are very soft, about 5 minutes. Add 2 1/2 cups of the wine and deglaze the pan. Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer for 5 minutes. Taste for seasoning.
- Return the lamb shanks to the pot and braise the mixture, tightly covered, in the oven for 1 hour. Uncover and braise for 2 more hours, turning the shanks every 30 minutes. Stir in the turnips and the remaining 1/2 cup of the wine, and continue to braise, in the oven for 30 minutes. Discard the bay leaves. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- While the lamb shanks are braising, make the gremolata: chop together the rosemary, orange zest, and garlic. Place each lamb shank on a serving plate, top with the vegetables, sprinkle with gremolata and serve immediately.
BRAISED LAMB SHANKS WITH WHITE BEAN PUREE
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Season shanks with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil in a large saute pan. Put 3 shanks in the pan and brown well on all sides. Transfer shanks to a large roasting pan. Repeat with remaining shanks, adding oil if needed.
- Put garlic, onion, celery and carrot in the pan. Cook 30 seconds. Add half the wine and deglaze the pan. Add the vegetable-wine mixture to the roasting pan. Add the remaining ingredients. Put the roasting pan on a burner and bring to a simmer. (Shanks should be almost covered with liquid; if necessary, add water.) Cover with aluminum foil. Put in oven and bake until meat is very tender, about 2 1/2 hours.
- Remove shanks from liquid and keep warm. Strain liquid through a fine sieve into a large saucepan. Degrease. Simmer until sauce is thick enough to coat a spoon. Season with salt and pepper. Put shanks over a mound of bean puree and top with sauce.
LAMB SHANK BRAISED IN WHITE WINE WITH ROSEMARY
- In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add shanks to hot pan, and brown all sides; this should take about 12 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
- Reduce heat to medium-low, and add garlic to the pan; cook for 30 to 40 seconds. Stir in onion, and continue cooking until translucent, 6 to 8 minutes. Return shanks to the pan, and season with 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary and salt and pepper to taste. Pour in wine, raise heat to medium-high, and bring to a simmer. Reduce heat to low, cover tightly, and simmer until the shanks are very tender when pierced with a knife, 2 to 2 1/2 hours. Turn once or twice during cooking, and add water as necessary to maintain original level of liquid. Serve shanks garnished with rosemary sprigs.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 369.2 calories, Carbohydrate 4.6 g, Cholesterol 89.4 mg, Fat 21.5 g, Fiber 0.4 g, Protein 27 g, SaturatedFat 6 g, Sodium 69.3 mg, Sugar 1.4 g
More about "braised lamb shanks with white beans recipes"
BRAISED LAMB SHANKS WITH WHITE BEANS - THE HAPPY FOODIE
Servings 4Category Dinner, Main Course
BRAISED LAMB SHANKS WITH WHITE BEANS | WILLIAMS SONOMA
5/5 (2)Total Time 3 hrs 30 minsServings 6
BRAISED LAMB SHANKS WITH WHITE BEANS - WOMAN'S DAY
Servings 4Total Time 2 hrs 25 minsEstimated Reading Time 1 minCalories 739 per serving
BRAISED LAMB SHANKS WITH WHITE BEANS RECIPE - THE TELEGRAPH
BRAISED LAMB SHANKS WITH CANNELLINI BEANS | RECIPES | DELIA ONLINE
SLOW COOKED LAMB SHANKS WITH WHITE BEANS RECIPE - CUISINART
BRAISED LAMB SHANKS WITH WHITE BEANS RECIPE | EAT YOUR BOOKS
BRAISED LAMB SHANKS WITH WHITE BEAN RAGOUT - BIGOVEN.COM
BRAISED LAMB OVER CREAMED WHITE BEANS - ONTARIO BEAN …
MARY BERRY BRAISED LAMB WITH SWEET POTATO - ITO-JIMUSYO.COM
BRAISED LAMB SHANKS WITH WHITE BEANS | MUSTARD WITH MUTTON
TUSCAN LAMB SHANKS WITH WHITE BEANS RECIPE | EPICURIOUS
SIMPLE BRAISED LAMB SHANKS AND WHITE BEANS RECIPE | SPARKRECIPES
BRAISED LAMB SHANKS WITH WHITE BEANS - READERSDIGEST.CA
BRAISED LAMB SHANKS WITH WHITE BEANS - COOKSTR.COM
BRAISED LAMB SHANKS WITH FOUR BEAN AND CHORIZO STEW
RECIPE: LAMB SHANKS WITH WHITE BEANS : NPR
BEST COOKING BUTTER RECIPES: BRAISED LAMB SHANKS WITH BEANS
BRAISED LAMB SHANKS - JO COOKS
BRAISED LAMB SHANKS WITH WHITE BEANS | WILLIAMS SONOMA
BALSAMIC AND CARAMELIZED ONION BRAISED LAMB SHANKS OVER WHITE …
BRAISED LAMB SHANKS AND BAKED BEANS WITH MOLASSES
EASY BRAISED LAMB SHANKS RECIPE - THE MEDITERRANEAN DISH
BRAISED LAMB SHANKS WITH ROASTED GARLIC& WHITE BEANS RECIPE
SAVORY OVEN BRAISED LAMB SHANKS RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
BRAISED LAMB SHANKS WITH WHITE BEANS RECIPE
BRAISED LAMB SHANKS WITH WHITE BEANS - GLUTEN FREE RECIPES
BRAISED SHANK WITH WHITE BEANS AND TOMATOES - OREGON LAMB
BRAISED LAMB SHANKS WITH WHITE BEANS | RECIPELION.COM
INSTANT POT LAMB SHANKS WITH WHITE BEANS (ITALIAN-STYLE RECIPE)
BRAISED LAMB WITH GIANT WHITE BEANS RECIPE - JEAN-PIERRE …
LAMB SHANKS WITH WHITE BEANS AND SQUASH - MY OWN SWEET THYME
BRAISED LAMB SHANK – GARLIC, HERBS AND BUTTER-BEANS
BRAISED LAMB SHANKS WITH ROASTED GARLIC & WHITE BEANS - YUMMY …
OVEN-BRAISED LAMB SHANKS & WHITE BEANS - US DRY BEAN COUNCIL
LAMB SHANKS RECIPE : OPTIMAL RESOLUTION LIST - BESTDOGWIKI
BRAISED LAMB SHANKS WITH TOMATOES AND WHITE BEANS - THREE …
BRAISED LAMB SHANKS WITH WHITE BEANS AND TOMATOES
10 BRAISED LAMB SHANK RECIPES THAT ARE PERFECT COLD WEATHER …
MARY BERRY BRAISED LAMB WITH SWEET POTATO - TMC-P.JP
BRAISED LAMB SHANKS WITH WHITE BEANS - PEDRONCELLI WINERY
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How to cook lamb shanks with white beans?Boil sauce, stirring occasionally, until thickened slightly. Strain sauce through sieve into a bowl and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Sprinkle lamb shanks with remaining gremolata and serve with beans and sauce. How would you rate Braised Lamb Shanks with White Beans?
What can I substitute for lamb shanks in cooking?Lamb shanks, white beans, tomatoes and red wine are an ideal union for a hearty autumn dinner. You can substitute the same amount of veal shanks for the lamb shanks if you like. Pick over the beans and discard any misshapen beans and stones. Rinse the beans, place in a bowl and add water to cover generously. Let stand for about 3 hours.
What is a lamb shank braised with?The lamb shanks are slowly braised in the oven with pomegranate juice, red wine, and Moroccan spices – so flavorful and juicy, the succulent meat just falls off the bone.
How do you cook lamb shanks in a Dutch oven?Heat the olive oil in a large, deep Dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid over moderate heat until hot but not smoking. Season the lamb shanks with salt and pepper and cook, in batches if necessary, turning with tongs, until well browned, about 10 minutes each batch. Remove the lamb shanks with tongs to a plate and set aside.