- Over medium-high heat, bring the milk and butter to just below a boil. Cool until lukewarm.
- Combine the buckwheat flour, sugar, and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate small bowl, combine the yeast and lukewarm water. Allow the yeast to activate for 5 minutes in a warm place (see Cook's Note*).
- In a large bowl, beat the egg yolk until light yellow. Drizzle the milk and butter mixture slowly into the yolk while whisking. Add the dry ingredients and stir to combine. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and put in a warm place until doubled in size.
- Whisk the egg white until soft peaks form. Fold the egg white into the batter. Cover the batter again and allow it to regain its original volume, about 10 to 15 minutes.
- Preheat a skillet and lightly brush it with the clarified butter. Spoon 1 tablespoon portions of the batter into the skillet (see Cook's Note**). Lightly brown on both sides.
- Spoon 1 teaspoon of the smoked salmon cream cheese mixture over a blini. Garnish with fresh dill and serve.
- In a medium bowl cream together the cream cheese, dill, lemon juice, and lemon zest. Gently fold in the smoked salmon.
These savories were originally crumbly pancakes with a strong buckwheaty, yeasty flavor. Nowadays, they're more cohesive, subtle, and sophisticated. Served with spoonfuls of creme fraiche and sevruga caviar, blini make wonderful hors d'oeuvres alongside glasses of chilled vodka.
Provided by Martha Stewart
Yield Makes 30
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Sprinkle yeast over warm water in a small bowl; let stand until foamy, about 7 minutes. Sift together flours and salt. Stir together yogurt, butter, sugar, and yolks in a large bowl; whisk in yeast mixture and flour mixture. Let batter stand, covered, in a warm place, 30 minutes.
- Beat whites until stiff peaks form; fold whites into batter. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Heat a 12-inch nonstick skillet or crepe pan over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon batter; cook blini 3 or 4 at a time, flipping once, until golden, 2 minutes per side. Serve with caviar and creme fraiche.
This is an old, Russian recipe. These small, yeast-raised, buckwheat pancakes are traditionally served with caviar (or even smoked salmon).
Provided by damasio
Categories Appetizers and Snacks
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Pour warm milk into a large bowl, then sprinkle yeast onto the milk, and allow to soften for 5 minutes. Stir in sugar and buckwheat flour; cover, and let rise for 1 hour.
- Stir in the eggs, sour cream, heavy cream, salt, and flour until a batter forms. Cover again, and let rise for 2 hours.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Spray with cooking spray, then pour in small amounts of batter to form 1 1/2-inch blinis. Cook until the blinis begin to set and dry, and the bubbles begin to burst, about 2 minutes. Flip over, and continue cooking until browned on the other side, about 1 minute.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 17.6 calories, Carbohydrate 2.1 g, Cholesterol 8.1 mg, Fat 0.8 g, Fiber 0.1 g, Protein 0.7 g, SaturatedFat 0.4 g, Sodium 14.5 mg, Sugar 0.3 g
BUCKWHEAT BLINI AND SMOKED SEAFOOD SALAD
- Sift flours and salt and place in bowl and add yeast. Stir in milk and let rise until it doubles in size. Add butter and egg yolk. Stiffly beat egg whites and fold into the batter. Let stand for 30 minutes. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a hot griddle. Spoon 1 tablespoon batter per blini onto griddle. Cook over medium heat for about 2 minutes a side. Place on paper towels while preparing smoked seafood salad.
- SMOKED SEAFOOD SALAD: Skin and flake fish. Whisk orange juice, zest, horseradish, chives, and sour cream. Slowly whisk in oil. Toss with seafood and serve over blinis.
RUSSIAN BUCKWHEAT BLINI PANCAKES
- Gather the ingredients.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the buckwheat flour with the all-purpose flour, salt, and instant yeast .
- Make a well in the center and pour in the milk, mixing until the batter is smooth.
- Cover the bowl and let the batter rise until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Stir into the batter the cooled, melted butter and the egg yolk.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the egg white until stiff but not dry.
- Fold the whisked egg white into the batter.
- Cover the bowl and let the batter stand 20 minutes.
- Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Drop quarter-sized dollops of dough into a pan, being careful not to overcrowd it. Cook for about 1 minute or until bubbles form.
- Turn and cook for about 30 additional seconds.
- Remove the finished blini onto a plate and cover them with a clean kitchen towel to keep them warm. Repeat the frying process with the remaining batter.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 76 kcal, Carbohydrate 10 g, Cholesterol 22 mg, Fiber 1 g, Protein 3 g, SaturatedFat 2 g, Sodium 105 mg, Sugar 1 g, Fat 3 g, ServingSize 24 blini (12 servings), UnsaturatedFat 0 g
Number Of Ingredients 8
- Combine first two ingredients in saucepan and heat until butter is melted. Let cool to between 105 and 115 degrees and then sprinkle with yeast.
- Let stand until yeast is dissolved, about 5 min.
- Whisk together last four ingredients.
- Pour wet over dry ingredients and gently whisk together, just until combined. Cover bowl with plastic wrap anf let rise in warm place until doubled in volume, about 1 hour.
- Stir to deflate batter and whisk in 3 eggs, lightly beaten.
- Prepare griddle and spoon about 1 tbsp or so for each blini. cook until top of each blini is speckled with bubbles and then flip them over.
BUCKWHEAT CREPE BLINIS
- Place both flours, milk, salt, eggs, and clarified butter in the jar of a blender. Puree until smooth.
- Strain mixture through a fine mesh sieve into a mixing bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, and chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Remove batter from refrigerator. Heat a 6-inch crepe pan or nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Brush with clarified butter, and heat until very hot. Add a couple of tablespoons of batter, turning and swirling the batter in the pan to completely coat. Cook until brown on the bottom, 1 to 2 minutes. Flip crepe with a spatula, and cook until golden brown on the other side, about 1 minute. Repeat with remaining batter. As you continue, you will need to use less butter in the crepe pan.
- Serve crepes with sour cream and caviar.
Blini go well with savory toppings liked smoked fish, and of course with caviar. A simple, elegant accompaniment would be smoked salmon (about 1/2 pound for one batch of blini), drained yogurt or reduced-fat sour cream, and salmon roe.
Provided by Martha Rose Shulman
Yield About 20 pancake-sized blini
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Dissolve the yeast and sugar in the water in a large bowl. Stir in the lukewarm milk, and let stand for five minutes until creamy.
- Sift together the flours and salt into a medium bowl. Whisk into the yeast mixture. Whisk in the buttermilk or yogurt, the oil or melted butter, and the egg yolks. Cover the bowl tightly with plastic wrap, and set aside to rise in a warm spot for one hour or longer until bubbly.
- Beat the egg whites to soft peaks. Fold them into the batter. Cover again, and allow to rise for another 30 minutes until bubbly.
- Lightly grease a heavy nonstick or cast iron griddle, and heat over medium heat until hot. For bite-size blini that you can pass as hors d'oeuvres, ladle on 1 to 2 tablespoons of batter for each silver-dollar-size blini. For larger, pancake-sized blini, ladle on about 1/4 scant cup per blini. Cook until holes break through the upper side, about a minute. Turn and brown on the other side for about 30 seconds. Remove to a rack or a plate. If serving right away, wrap them in a towel or place them in a low oven to keep warm. If not serving right away, wrap them in foil and reheat them for about 20 minutes in a 325-degree oven. To freeze, stack them between pieces of parchment or wax paper, and wrap them airtight in plastic, then foil. To thaw, remove them from the plastic, rewrap them in foil, and place them in a 350-degree oven for 30 minutes. Alternately, remove the foil and thaw them in a microwave oven.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 68, UnsaturatedFat 2 grams, Carbohydrate 9 grams, Fat 3 grams, Fiber 1 gram, Protein 3 grams, SaturatedFat 1 gram, Sodium 90 milligrams, Sugar 1 gram, TransFat 0 grams
BUCKWHEAT BLINIS WITH SMOKED SALMON AND CRèME FRAîCHE
- Whisk first 5 ingredients in medium bowl.
- Place milk and butter in small saucepan. Stir over low heat until butter melts and thermometer registers 110°F (if mixture gets too warm, cool until temperature returns to 110°F). Pour warm milk mixture into flour mixture and whisk until smooth. Cover with plastic wrap and let stand in warm draft-free area until doubled in volume, 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Whisk buckwheat batter to deflate; then whisk in eggs. Do ahead Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Transfer to large bowl. Cover; chill (may increase in volume; rewhisk before using).
- Preheat oven to 200°F. Heat griddle or large skillet over medium heat. Brush lightly with melted butter. Working in batches, pour 2 tablespoons batter for each blini onto griddle, spacing apart. Cook until bubbles form on top and begin to pop, about 1 1/2 minutes. Turn blinis; cook until golden brown on bottom, about 1 1/2 minutes. Transfer to baking sheet. Tent with foil and place in oven to keep warm while cooking remaining blinis. Do ahead Blinis can be made 1 day ahead. Cool, cover, and chill. Brush blinis lightly with melted butter and rewarm on baking sheet in 350°F oven 5 minutes.
- Arrange warm blinis on platter. Spoon 1 rounded teaspoon crème fraîche atop each. Top with smoked salmon. Garnish with salmon roe and dill sprigs and serve.
- Heat the milk and 4 tablespoons of butter over low heat until butter is melted, and let cool slightly. Meanwhile, combine the sugar and 2 tablespoons of warm water and stir to dissolve the sugar. Sprinkle the yeast over the sugar water and let stand in a warm place until yeast is frothy, about 5 minutes. Pour in the milk mixture, add egg yolks and whisk to blend.
- Combine the flours and salt and gradually whisk into the yeast mixture until smooth. Cover bowl tightly with plastic wrap and let batter rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
- Stir to deflate the batter. (Batter can be covered and refrigerated for 24 hours before proceeding.) Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gently fold whites into batter just until blended.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Melt enough butter to coat a large griddle or skillet over medium to medium-high heat. When butter sizzles, drop tablespoons of batter onto surface to make blini roughly 2 inches in diameter. Cook until bubbles appear on top and the bottom is golden brown. Turn and cook until bottom is lightly browned. Place blini, overlapping but not stacked (they will get soggy), on a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven while cooking the remaining batter. Stop using the batter when bubbles no longer appear on the top (there may be about 1 cup left), or the blini will be thin and tough.
- To serve, brush blini lightly with melted butter and top each with a dab of créme fraîche or sour cream and a small dollop of caviar.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 33, UnsaturatedFat 1 gram, Carbohydrate 3 grams, Fat 2 grams, Fiber 0 grams, Protein 1 gram, SaturatedFat 1 gram, Sodium 37 milligrams, Sugar 0 grams, TransFat 0 grams
More about "buckwheat blini recipes"
BUCKWHEAT BLINI RECIPE - SERIOUS EATS
5/5 (1)Total Time 30 minsCuisine Eastern EuropeanCalories 29 per serving
EASY 30-MINUTE BUCKWHEAT BLINI RECIPE — ZESTFUL KITCHEN
BUCKWHEAT BLINIS - YEAST FREE - MRS JONES'S KITCHEN
BUCKWHEAT BLINI RECIPE | MYRECIPES
GLUTEN-FREE BUCKWHEAT BLINI RECIPE PLUS 3 TOPPING COMBOS
CUSTOMER SERVICE - BOB'S RED MILL NATURAL FOODS
BUCKWHEAT BLINIS RECIPE | GOOD FOOD
GARY DANKO’S BUCKWHEAT BLINI RECIPE! THE RAREST RECIPES TO TRY IN …
BUCKWHEAT BLINI - EVERYDAY GLUTEN FREE GOURMET
QUICK BUCKWHEAT BLINI RECIPE - ANYA VON BREMZEN | FOOD …
BUCKWHEAT BLINIS | CANADIAN LIVING
BUCKWHEAT BLINI RECIPE @ NOT QUITE NIGELLA
BUCKWHEAT BLINIS | TLN
BUCKWHEAT BLINI - SKINNY CHEF
BUCKWHEAT BLINIS RECIPE - HOUSE & HOME
BUCKWHEAT BLINIS - MADELEINE SHAW
BUCKWHEAT BLINIS RECIPE – MONTELLO GOURMET
BEST BUCKWHEAT BLINIS WITH SCRAMBLED EGGS RECIPES - FOOD NETWORK
RECIPE: SOURDOUGH BUCKWHEAT BLINI: SMALL VERSATILE RUSSIAN PANCAKES.
BUCKWHEAT BLINI RECIPE WITH JORDAN CHEF’S RESERVE CAVIAR
BUCKWHEAT BLINI WITH CRAB SALAD — COOKS WITHOUT BORDERS
BUCKWHEAT BLINI RECIPE - LOS ANGELES TIMES
BUCKWHEAT BLINI | CHEFSTEPS
THAT SUGAR BASICS – BUCKWHEAT BLINIS
THE REAL BUCKWHEAT BLINI “NA KEFIRE” | THAT’S WHAT SHE HAD
A GLUTEN-FREE BLINI RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
RECIPE: BUCKWHEAT BLINY | KITCHN
RECIPE: BUCKWHEAT BLINI – ZEALOUS EATERS CLUB
BUCKWHEAT BLINI RECIPE | MYRECIPES
BUCKWHEAT BLINIS WITH SCRAMBLED EGGS AND SALMON RECIPE - BBC FOOD
BUCKWHEAT BLINIS RECIPE - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
BLINI WITH BUCKWHEAT – SEATTLE CAVIAR COMPANY
RUSSIAN BUCKWHEAT BLINI RECIPE BY PLAVANEETA BORAH - NDTV FOOD
GLUTEN-FREE BUCKWHEAT BLINI RECIPE WITH ALL THE FIXINGS (DAIRY-FREE)
BLINI | KING ARTHUR BAKING
BUCKWHEAT BLINI WITH SMOKED SALMON AND CREME FRAICHE
BUCKWHEAT BLINI RECIPE | GOOD DECISIONS
You'll also love