BULGUR AND KALE CASSEROLE
This comforting kale and bulgur casserole is modeled on the casserole I made a few weeks ago for Recipes for Health, with eggplant and bulgur.
Provided by Martha Rose Shulman
Categories dinner, one pot, main course
Yield Serves 6 to 8
Number Of Ingredients 23
- Make the tomato sauce. Heat the olive oil in a large, heavy skillet over medium heat and add the onion. Cook, stirring, until tender, about 5 minutes, and add the garlic. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about a minute, and add the tomatoes, salt to taste, pepper, sugar, cinnamon, paprika and allspice. Turn the heat up to medium-high and cook until the tomatoes are bubbling. Stir together, turn the heat back to medium-low, partly cover and cook, stirring often, until the tomatoes have cooked down and the sauce is thick and fragrant, 25 to 30 minutes. Taste and adjust seasoning. Remove from the heat. If your sauce is chunky, put through a food mill or pulse in a food processor fitted with the steel blade. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, blanch the kale in salted boiling water for 4 minutes or steam for 5 to 8 minutes, until tender. Rinse with cold water and squeeze dry. Chop fine (you can do this by pulsing in a food processor fitted with the steel blade.)
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large, heavy skillet and add the garlic. When it begins to smell fragrant, in about 30 seconds, stir in the chopped kale. Toss together and season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper. Stir in the bulgur and dill, combine well and remove from the heat.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Oil a 3-quart baking or gratin dish. Spoon a small amount of tomato sauce on the bottom of the dish, and spoon in the bulgur and kale. Spread in an even layer. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan on top and cover with the remaining tomato sauce, spread in an even layer.
- Beat together the eggs, yogurt and 2 tablespoons of the remaining Parmesan. Season with salt, pepper and paprika. Spoon over the tomato sauce and spread in an even layer. Sprinkle the remaining Parmesan on top. Place in the oven and bake 30 to 35 minutes, until golden. Remove from the heat and let sit for 10 minutes or longer before serving.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 253, UnsaturatedFat 5 grams, Carbohydrate 34 grams, Fat 9 grams, Fiber 9 grams, Protein 15 grams, SaturatedFat 3 grams, Sodium 745 milligrams, Sugar 9 grams, TransFat 0 grams
BULGUR WHEAT AND KALE SALAD
- For the bulgur: In medium saucepot over medium-high heat, bring the chicken stock to a boil. Add the bulgur, cover and reduce the heat to medium-low. Simmer the bulgur until tender, about 15 minutes. Let stand 5 minutes, and then fluff with fork.
- For the cider vinaigrette: Combine the vinegar, shallots and agave nectar in small glass jar with a tightly fitted lid. Shake to combine. Add the oil and shake vigorously to emulse. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside until ready for use.
- For the salad: In a large mixing bowl, gently combine the bulgur, almonds, apricots, kale and red onions. Add the vinaigrette and mix until thoroughly dressed. Season with salt and pepper. Serve garnished with the chives.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 369 calorie, Fat 20 grams, SaturatedFat 2 grams, Cholesterol 0 milligrams, Sodium 166 milligrams, Carbohydrate 41 grams, Fiber 10 grams, Protein 11 grams, Sugar 8 grams
- Tip the bulgur wheat into a heatproof bowl and just cover with boiling water, then cover with cling film and set aside for 10-15 mins or until tender. Put the kale in a food processor and pulse to finely chop.
- Stir the kale, mint, spring onions, cucumber and tomatoes through the bulgur wheat. Season with the cinnamon and allspice, then dress with the olive oil and lemon juice to taste. Scatter over the lemon zest and feta. To serve, let everyone scoop the salad onto leaves of Baby Gem lettuce.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 235 calories, Fat 15 grams fat, SaturatedFat 4 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 17 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 4 grams sugar, Fiber 2 grams fiber, Protein 6 grams protein, Sodium 0.7 milligram of sodium
BULGUR PILAF WITH KALE AND TOMATOES
Enjoy a combination of nutritious vegetables and a whole grain all in one easy side dish. It goes equally well with Broiled Sirloin with Chile-Roasted Onions (page 176), Herb Chicken with Panko-Pecan Crust (page 148), or Wine-Poached Salmon (page 109).
Yield Serves 4; 3/4 cup per serving
Number Of Ingredients 10
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the onion for 3 minutes, or until soft, stirring frequently.
- Stir in the broth, kale, bulgur, garlic, pepper, and salt. Bring to a boil, still over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 12 minutes, or until the bulgur is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in the tomato. Cook for 1 minute, or until heated through. Remove from the heat. Stir in the lemon juice.
- Instead of the kale, you can use spinach in this recipe. Add the spinach with the tomato, stirring just until the spinach wilts.
- (Per serving)
- Calories: 149
- Total fat: 3.0g
- Saturated: 0.5g
- Trans: 0.0g
- Polyunsaturated: 0.5g
- Monounsaturated: 1.5g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 124mg
- Carbohydrates: 28g
- Fiber: 6g
- Sugars: 2g
- Protein: 6g
- Calcium: 66mg
- Potassium: 354mg
- 1 1/2 starch
- 1 vegetable
- 1/2 fat
BULGUR AND GROUND BEEF CASSEROLE
I found this in a book from the American Heart Assoc. Haven't prepared it yet, but I plan to as it sounds good.
Provided by smiles4u
Categories One Dish Meal
Yield 6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 11
- In a medium bowl, soak bulgur in cold water for 15 to 30 minutes, or until soft. Set aside.
- meanwhile, heat a heavy non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Add beef and saute for 4 to 5 minutes or until meat is no longer pink. Drain fat from pan.
- Add onions to skillet and cook until tender, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Drain bulgur and add to meat mixture with cilantro, dill weed, salt, pepper, chipped tomatoes, vegetable juice and lemon juice. Stir gently.
- Place mixture in a 10 x 10 x 2 inch baking dish or oven proof casserole dish.
- Bake at 350 uncovered for 15 to 20 minutes or until heated thoroughly.
GREENS AND BULGUR GRATIN
- In a heatproof bowl pour enough boiling water over bulgur to cover by 1 inch. Cover bowl with a plate to trap steam and let stand 20 minutes. Drain bulgur in a large fine sieve, pressing out excess liquid, and transfer to a bowl.
- Keeping each variety of green separate, tear greens into bite-size pieces, discarding stems. Still keeping greens separate, wash thoroughly by dunking in a sinkful of water and transfer to a colander to drain.
- Put coarser greens (kale or collard) in a 4 1/2- to 5-quart kettle and steam in water clinging to leaves, covered, over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until wilted, about 4 minutes. Add delicate greens (escarole, spinach, Swiss chard, and/or mustard) to coarse greens and steam, covered, stirring occasionally, until just wilted, 3 to 4 minutes. Drain greens in colander, pressing out excess liquid.
- In a large heavy skillet cook garlic in oil over moderate heat,stirring, until softened but not golden. Stir in greens and bulgur and season generously with salt and pepper. Stir in Parmesan and remove skillet from heat.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. and lightly oil a 1 1/2-quart gratin dish or other shallow baking dish.
- Spread half of greens mixture in dish and sprinkle evenly with mozzarella. Spread remaining greens mixture over mozzarella and smooth top with a rubber spatula. Gratin may be prepared up to this point 8 hours ahead and chilled, covered.
- Make topping:
- In a small bowl with a fork stir together bread crumbs and oil until crumbs are evenly moistened.
- Sprinkle topping over greens mixture and bake in middle of oven 30 minutes, or until bubbling and top is browned lightly.
BULGUR, SPINACH AND TOMATO CASSEROLE
Bulgur is a versatile cracked wheat product that can lend a nutty flavor to a variety of dishes. Because this is a casserole, it calls for coarse bulgur, which can also be used in pilafs, soups and stuffed vegetables. It is paired here with spinach, tomatoes and cheese for a bubbly and hearty dish.
Provided by Martha Rose Shulman
Yield Serves 6
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Bring 2 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the bulgur and salt to taste, reduce the heat, cover and simmer 15 to 20 minutes, until the water is absorbed. Remove from the heat, uncover and place a clean dish towel over the pan, then replace the lid. Allow to sit undisturbed for 10 minutes or longer. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Pulse the tomatoes with their juice in a food processor. Heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium heat in a large, wide skillet or a shallow 3-quart saucepan and add the garlic. Cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds, and add the tomatoes, sugar, salt to taste, and allspice or cinnamon. Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer until the tomatoes have cooked down to a fragrant sauce, about 20 minutes. Taste, adjust salt and add freshly ground pepper.
- Steam the spinach until it wilts, 1 to 2 minutes, rinse briefly with cold water and squeeze out excess water. Do this by the handful to get out all the water. Chop coarsely. Add to the bulgur. Add the mint and the chickpeas if using, 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1/2 cup of the tomato sauce and toss together.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Oil a 2-quart gratin or baking dish. Spread the bulgur mixture in the dish in an even layer. Top with the remaining tomato sauce. Sprinkle on the cheese. Drizzle on the last tablespoon of olive oil. Bake 30 minutes, or until the top is lightly browned. Remove from the heat and allow to sit for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 209, UnsaturatedFat 7 grams, Carbohydrate 25 grams, Fat 10 grams, Fiber 6 grams, Protein 8 grams, SaturatedFat 3 grams, Sodium 471 milligrams, Sugar 4 grams
More about "bulgur and kale casserole recipes"
BULGUR AND KALE CASSEROLE WITH YOGURT …
Estimated Reading Time 6 mins
BULGUR AND KALE CASSEROLE WITH YOGURT TOPPING | KALE - AFTER… | FLICKR
BULGUR AND SWEET KALE VEGETABLE SALAD – SUNNYLAND MILLS
BULGUR KALE PATTIES RECIPE | EAT SMARTER USA
OVEN-ROASTED CHICKEN WITH BULGUR & KALE MEAL KIT DELIVERY
BULGUR AND KALE CASSEROLE RECIPE | RECIPE | RECIPES, KALE CASSEROLE ...
BULGUR AND KALE CASSEROLE RECIPE | RECIPE | YOGURT TOPPINGS, KALE ...
SUNFLOWER KALE BULGUR PILAF | SUMPTUOUS SPOONFULS
BULGUR AND KALE CASSEROLE WITH YOGURT TOPPING | KALE | BOSTON …
VEGAN BULGUR, CARROT AND KALE BOWL WITH LEMONY SAUCE RECIPE | EAT ...
BULGHAR AND KALE CASSEROLE WITH YOGURT TOPPING
25 EASY BULGUR RECIPES FOR A NUTRITIOUS MEAL - INSANELY GOOD
BULGUR WHEAT WITH KALE AND SHALLOTS - EVERYDAY HEALTHY RECIPES
BULGUR AND KALE CASSEROLE WITH YOGURT TOPPING
RECIPE DETAIL PAGE | LCBO
10 BEST KALE CASSEROLE RECIPES | YUMMLY
BULGUR AND KALE CASSEROLE WITH YOGURT TOPPING - GRUBMARKET
BULGUR AND KALE CASSEROLE RECIPE - FOOD NEWS
BULGUR AND KALE CASSEROLE WITH YOGURT TOPPING...EAT.LIVE.BE.
BULGUR AND KALE CASSEROLE RECIPE | RECIPE | RECIPES, KALE CASSEROLE ...
BULGUR AND KALE CASSEROLE WITH YOGURT TOPPING — RECIPES FOR …
BULGUR AND KALE CASSEROLE WITH YOGURT TOPPING RECIPE | EAT YOUR …
VEGAN CASSEROLE WITH BARLEY, BULGUR AND VEGETABLES - RACHEL …
OVEN-ROASTED CHICKEN WITH BULGUR & KALE - MEAL KIT DELIVERY
CHEESY KALE CASSEROLE WITH GROUND BEEF - HEALTHY RECIPES BLOG
RECIPE: KALE WITH BULGUR STEP BY STEP WITH PICTURES | HANDY.RECIPES
BULGUR-STUFFED KALE LEAVES - GLOW KITCHEN
BULGUR SALAD WITH GRAPES AND KALE | GRAPES FROM CALIFORNIA
BULGUR AND KALE CASSEROLE RECIPE
BULGUR CASSEROLE - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT HEALTHY RECIPES AND …
BROWN RICE CHEDDAR KALE CASSEROLE - FROM A CHEF'S KITCHEN
ROASTED BULGUR WITH KALE RECIPES | SCIONME.COM
BULGUR, TOFU, AND KALE SALAD RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
RECIPE DETAIL PAGE | LCBO
BULGUR WITH KALE AND ROASTED TOMATOES – SHIOKFARM
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you cook bulgur in the oven?Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Oil a 3-quart baking or gratin dish. Spoon a small amount of tomato sauce on the bottom of the dish, and spoon in the bulgur and kale. Spread in an even layer. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of the Parmesan on top and cover with the remaining tomato sauce, spread in an even layer.
How do you make Kale and garlic bread?Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large, heavy skillet and add the garlic. When it begins to smell fragrant, in about 30 seconds, stir in the chopped kale. Toss together and season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper. Stir in the bulgur and dill, combine well and remove from the heat. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
How do you cook with bulgur and Dill?Stir in the bulgur and dill, combine well and remove from the heat. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Oil a 3-quart baking or gratin dish. Spoon a small amount of tomato sauce on the bottom of the dish, and spoon in the bulgur and kale. Spread in an even layer.
How to cook Kale and garlic for Soup?Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large, heavy skillet and add the garlic. When it begins to smell fragrant, in about 30 seconds, stir in the chopped kale. Toss together and season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper. Stir in the bulgur and dill, combine well and remove from the heat.