This beautifully browned cheese-and-kale souffle was baked with a parchment "collar" wrapped around the dish. This encouraged it to rise sky-high. The addition of egg-white powder helps stabilize the mixture.
Provided by Martha Stewart
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees with rack in lower third. Butter an 8 1/4-by-3 1/2-inch (11 cups to the rim) souffle dish; coat with Parmesan. Using a long piece of parchment, form a collar around souffle dish that extends 3 inches above top of dish; tie kitchen twine around collar to secure. Place on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Heat a large pot over medium. Add kale; season with salt and black pepper and toss to combine. Cover and steam, tossing occasionally, until kale is wilted, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain in a fine-mesh sieve set over a medium bowl. When cool enough to handle, squeeze out excess moisture. Coarsely chop kale (you should have 1 cup); set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, whisk together flour, 1 tablespoon salt, 1 teaspoon black pepper, cayenne, and nutmeg. Gradually whisk in half-and-half, then heat over medium-high, whisking constantly, until thick and smooth, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a large bowl and cover with plastic wrap, pressing it directly onto surface of mixture. Let cool completely, then stir in yolks, cubed cheese, and kale.
- Whisk together egg whites and egg-white powder on medium-high speed until stiff but not dry peaks form, 5 to 6 minutes. Spoon one-quarter of whites mixture into base, then whisk thoroughly until smooth. Gently fold in remaining whites mixture. Transfer to prepared dish.
- Bake 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 375 degrees; continue to bake until souffle is risen, set, and dark golden brown, 50 to 60 minutes more. Remove collar and serve immediately.
BACON AND CHEESE SOUFFLES
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in medium saucepan on medium heat.
- Stir in flour.
- Cook 1 minute.
- Gradually add milk, stirring until well blended.
- Cook and stir until mixture comes to a boil.
- Remove from heat.
- Add cheese, stiring until melted.
- Stir in mustard and bacon.
- Cool slightly.
- Stir in egg yolks, 1 at a time.
- Beat egg whites with electric mixer on medium heat until stiff but not dry, about 5 minutes.
- Gently fold into yolk mixture.
- Pour into 12 lightly greased nonstick muffin cups.
- Bake 25 minutes or until puffed and set.
CHEDDAR, BACON, AND SCALLION SOUFFLé
- In a small heavy saucepan cook the scallion in the butter and the reserved bacon fat over moderately low heat, stirring, until the scallion is softened, stir in the flour, and cook the roux stirring, for 3 minutes. Add the milk in a stream, whisking, and boil the mixture, whisking, for 2 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and whisk in the cayenne, the Cheddar, and salt and pepper to taste, whisking until the cheese is melted. Add the egg yolks, 1 at a time, whisking well after each addition, and whisk in the bacon. In a bowl with an electric mixer beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until they hold stiff peaks, whisk about one fourth of them into the cheese mixture, and fold in the remaining whites gently but thoroughly. Pour the mixture into a buttered 1 1/2-quart soufflé dish and bake the soufflé in the middle of a preheated 375°F. oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until it is puffed and golden. Serve the soufflé immediately.
TOMATO AND CHEDDAR SOUFFLES
- Put oven rack in middle position and preheat oven to 400°F.
- Brush custard cups with 1 teaspoon melted butter (total), then coat each with 1 tablespoon Parmigiano-Reggiano. Put 1 tomato slice in bottom of each cup and arrange cups in a shallow baking pan.
- Heat remaining 2 tablespoons butter in a 1 1/2-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat until foam subsides, then whisk in flour. Cook roux, whisking, 1 minute, then whisk in milk, salt, pepper, and cayenne. Bring to a boil over moderate heat, whisking constantly, and boil until thickened, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat and whisk in 1/2 cup Cheddar, 2 tablespoons Parmigiano-Reggiano, and yolks.
- Beat whites with a small pinch of salt using an electric mixer until they just hold stiff peaks. Fold one third of whites into cheese sauce to lighten, then fold in remaining whites gently but thoroughly. Divide mixture among cups and sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons each of Parmigiano-Reggiano and Cheddar.
- Bake soufflés until puffed and golden, 17 to 20 minutes. Serve (in cups) immediately.
KALE SALAD WITH APPLES AND CHEDDAR
For a kale salad to be successful, use the most tender kale you can find and cut it into very thin filaments or chop it very finely (or both). Curly kale and Russian kale are more tender than black leaf kale. This is inspired by a wonderful salad I tried recently at the New York restaurant Northern Spy.
Provided by Martha Rose Shulman
Categories easy, weekday, salads and dressings
Yield 4 to 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 9
- Combine the kale, almonds, apple and Cheddar in a large bowl.
- Whisk together the lemon juice, salt, garlic and olive oil. Add to the salad, and toss well. Sprinkle the Parmesan over the top, and serve.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 177, UnsaturatedFat 11 grams, Carbohydrate 6 grams, Fat 16 grams, Fiber 1 gram, Protein 4 grams, SaturatedFat 3 grams, Sodium 161 milligrams, Sugar 4 grams, TransFat 0 grams
DOUBLE-BAKED CHEDDAR SOUFFLéS
- Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Put milk, onion, nutmeg and bay leaves into a pan. Bring to the boil, then set side to infuse for 30 mins. Butter 8 x 150ml ramekins.
- Melt the butter in a second saucepan. Stir in the flour and cook gently for 1 min, stirring. Take off the heat and gradually whisk in the milk until smooth. Discard onion and bay leaf. Return to the hob and stir until the sauce boils and thickens.
- Off the heat, stir in the mustard, egg yolks and three-quarters of the cheese, then season. Scrape mixture into a large mixing bowl. In another big bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff. Boil a full kettle. Carefully fold the whites into the cheese mix and fill ramekins twothirds full. Transfer to a roasting tin, then pour the boiling water into the tin until it reaches halfway up the ramekins. Bake for 15-20 mins or until risen, just set and still a little wobbly. Take out of the tin and leave to cool.
- To serve, heat oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas 7(or leave it at 190C/fan 170C/gas 5 if you are cooking the lamb). Loosen soufflés around the edges with a knife, then turn out, upside down, into a shallow ovenproof dish. Sprinkle with rest of cheese, then spoon 1 tbsp cream over each soufflé. Bake for 10-12 mins till puffed and golden on the top (or 12-15 mins at the lower temperature). Serve at once with Crunchy celery & apple salad, below.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 336 calories, Fat 25 grams fat, SaturatedFat 15 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 14 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 4 grams sugar, Fiber 1 grams fiber, Protein 12 grams protein, Sodium 0.63 milligram of sodium
More about "cheddar kale souffle recipes"
KALE & WHITE CHEDDAR SOUFFLE RECIPE | YUMMLY
Cuisine FrenchCategory Side Dishes, AppetizersServings 6Total Time 48 mins
KALE & CHEDDAR SOUFFLé - MINCOFF CAFé
Reviews 2Servings 2Cuisine FrenchCategory Breakfast, Brunch, Main Course
GLUTEN-FREE SPINACH CHEDDAR SOUFFLé RECIPE-AN IMPRESSIVE ...
CHEDDAR SOUFFLé WITH A KALE & MUSHROOM SALAD | MUSHROOM ...
CHEDDAR SOUFFLé WITH A KALE & MUSHROOM SALAD | MUSHROOM ...
CHEDDAR CHEESE SOUFFLE - 500,000+ RECIPES, MEAL PLANNER ...
CHEDDAR SOUFFLE RECIPE
CHEDDAR CHEESE SOUFFLé RECIPE | MYRECIPES
CHEDDAR KALE SOUFFLE – FOOD NETWORK KITCHEN
CORN & CHEDDAR SOUFFLES WITH KALE & MUSHROOM SALAD ...
CHEDDAR AND KALE SOUFLEES – NANCY BIRTWHISTLE
CHEDDAR KALE SOUFFLE – RECIPES NETWORK
CHEDDAR CHEESE SOUFFLé RECIPE - BBC FOOD
NATIONAL CHEESE SOUFFLé DAY | AGED WHITE CHEDDAR SOUFFLé
CHEESY KALE AND CORN SOUFFLé | HALF BAKED HARVEST
BAKED CHEDDAR KALE CHIPS | GIMME DELICIOUS
4 INGREDIENT KALE CHEDDAR SOUP - HEALTHY SEASONAL RECIPES
CHEDDAR CHEESE SOUFFLE - RECIPE | COOKS.COM
SONOMA GOURMET KALE PESTO WITH WHITE CHEDDAR PASTA …
KALE SOUFFLE PUDDING RECIPE | GOOD FOOD
KALE AND CHEDDAR FRITTATA WITHOUT CRUST - NOURISHED SIMPLY
TUSCAN KALE SOUFFLé WITH LEEKS AND COMTE CHEESE RECIPE
BROCCOLI & CHEDDAR SOUFFLé RECIPE - HOUSE & HOME
EASY BABY KALE SOUFFLE - ROSEHURSTSTRATFORD.CA
CHEESE-AND-KALE SOUFFLE - MEALPLANNERPRO.COM
MARROW AND CHEDDAR SOUFFLé RECIPE - GREAT BRITISH CHEFS
KETO RECIPE: CHEDDAR-SPINACH SOUFFLE | KETO-MOJO
CHEDDAR & KALE QUICHE RECIPE | EATINGWELL
RECIPES FROM THE IVY: TWICE BAKED MONTGOMERY CHEDDAR ...
10 BEST VEGETARIAN SOUFFLE RECIPES | YUMMLY
MUSHROOM-KALE OR SPINACH SOUFFLE
VINTAGE CHEDDAR SOUFFLE | WESTMINSTER CHEESE
CHEESY KALE & QUINOA CASSEROLE RECIPE BY OHMYVEGGIES.COM
MINI KALE SOUFFLéS – SAVORED GRACE
CHEDDAR CHEESE SOUFFLE INA GARTEN - ALL INFORMATION ABOUT ...
SPINACH KALE SOUFFLE - UMASS MED
CHEDDAR CHEESE SOUFFLE RECIPE EASY - CREATE THE MOST ...
KALE AND CHEDDAR SOUFFLé — ANNA DINNERPLAN
Spinach Cheese Souffle4.2K views-06:28
Vegan Cheesy Sweet Potato & Kale Bake - NO DAIRY RECIPE!67K views-05:48
Bacon & Spinach Egg Souffle - Easy Meals for Caregivers2K views-01:55
Chicken, Squash Kale Whole Grain Casserole | THE COOKING DOC1.5K views-06:34
Julia Child's Spinach Soufflé | Recipe 1831.3K views-13:21
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
What is the best way to cook cheese souffle?This French-inspired Cheddar Cheese Soufflé will bake up light and fluffy and can be served for brunch or as a savory side dish. Cook first 3 ingredients in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring constantly, until cheese melts. Remove from heat. Beat egg yolks until thick and pale.
How do you make a souffle with ramekins?Place ramekins on a shallow baking pan. Separate eggs between 2 bowls. Add sugar, flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt, vanilla extract, lemon zest, cream cheese, and Cheddar cheese to the yolks. Mix the souffle base with a spatula until sugar and flour disappear.
How to make a homemade souffle cake?Place ramekins on a shallow baking pan. Separate eggs between 2 bowls. Add sugar, flour, 1/4 teaspoon salt, vanilla extract, lemon zest, cream cheese, and Cheddar cheese to the yolks. Mix the souffle base with a spatula until sugar and flour disappear. Sprinkle a pinch of salt over the room-temperature egg whites.
What kind of cheese is in a cheese souffle?Velvety cheddar cheese whipped up until it's light and airy and then baked -- this decadent cheese soufflé truly does melt in your mouth! Preheat your oven to 350°F.