CHICKEN ADOBO WITH COCONUT MILK (ADOBO SA GATA)
In the Philippines, adobo is both a beloved cooking technique and a tangy marinated and braised meat dish. It'sakin to the French coq au vin, but with a flavor all its own. You can use different types of meat or fish, but chicken is a favorite. Serve with steamed or fried rice.
Provided by Yana Gilbuena
Number Of Ingredients 17
- Whisk together vinegar, soy sauce, coffee, and brown sugar in a bowl until sugar is dissolved.
- Heat coconut oil in an 8-quart Dutch oven over high heat. Working in batches, add chicken, skin sides down first, and cook until golden brown and crispy, about 4 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate.
- Drain all but 2 tablespoons drippings from Dutch oven and return to heat. Add chopped garlic and fry until light brown and crisp, about 3 minutes. Remove to a small bowl, leaving drippings in the pot. Add shallots and minced garlic; cook, stirring constantly, until shallots are translucent and garlic has browned, about 5 minutes.
- Put peppercorns and bay leaves in a square of cheesecloth tied with kitchen string. Add browned chicken quarters, vinegar mixture, and spice bundle to Dutch oven. Bring to a boil; boil for 1 to 2 minutes. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes. Add shiitake and oyster mushrooms, coconut cream, and turmeric. Cover and simmer until chicken is tender, 15 to 20 minutes more.
- Cut leg quarters in half at joint or pull meat from bones and shred. Remove spice bundle and skim fat from sauce. Return chicken to the sauce. Sprinkle with green onions and the fried garlic.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 667.6 calories, Carbohydrate 49.8 g, Cholesterol 139.8 mg, Fat 31.6 g, Fiber 2.6 g, Protein 45.5 g, SaturatedFat 15.6 g, Sodium 2879.5 mg, Sugar 38.4 g
COCONUT MILK CHICKEN ADOBO
When I left home, adobo was a dish I could cook off the top of my head. The name was bestowed by Spanish colonizers, referring to the use of vinegar and seasonings to preserve meat, but the stew existed long before their arrival. It is always made with vinegar, and often soy sauce, but there are as many adobo recipes as there are Filipino cooks. In this version, coconut - present in three forms: milk, oil and vinegar - brings silkiness and a hint of elegance. Every ingredient announces itself; none are shy. The braised whole peppercorns pop in your mouth.
Provided by Angela Dimayuga
Yield 6 to 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 10
- In a large pot, heat the coconut oil over medium-high until shimmering. Add the garlic, whole peppercorns, freshly ground pepper and red-pepper flakes, drop the temperature to medium-low and cook, stirring occasionally, until garlic is toasted and softened and mixture is fragrant, about 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken, skin-side down, and cook over medium-high, undisturbed, until fat starts to render, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk, coconut vinegar, soy sauce, bay leaves and 1 cup water, and let the mixture come to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer until the chicken feels loosened and just about falling off the bone, stirring halfway through, about 1 hour.
- Increase the temperature to medium-high and cook, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thickened to a velvety gravy, about 15 minutes. Serve chicken and sauce over rice.
GUINATAAN CHICKEN ADOBO
- Combine the chicken, vinegar, water, sugar, soy sauce, bay leaves, crushed peppercorns, onion, and garlic in a large pot; stir and bring the mixture to a boil for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook at a simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken to a large serving platter and set aside. Increase the heat under the pot to medium and cook until the liquid reduces by about one-quarter, about 10 minutes. Season with salt; stir the coconut milk into the mixture. Cover and cook until the coconut milk appears oily, about 10 minutes. Pour the mixture over the chicken to serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 656.7 calories, Carbohydrate 7.4 g, Cholesterol 191.5 mg, Fat 43.5 g, Fiber 1.6 g, Protein 57.6 g, SaturatedFat 20.5 g, Sodium 804.8 mg, Sugar 2.5 g
CHICKEN ADOBO IN COCONUT MILK
This is another recipe from "The Philippine Cookbook". I made this recently for my husbands Filipino birthday dinner. I used cubed boneless skinless chicken breasts. I just cooked it in the pot until the sauce was reduced. I didn't bother with the broiler. I also used white vinegar as I don't care for apple cider vinegar. It was great! I might try it in the crockpot next time.
Provided by Engrossed
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan and marinate for two hours (traditional method is at room temperature, I put in the refrigerator).
- Boil mixture on stovetop until chicken is tender.
- Preheat Broiler.
- Remove chicken from sauce and broil until browned.
- Reduce sauce to half over medium heat.
- Pour over chicken.
- Serve hot with sticky rice.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 852.2, Fat 49.4, SaturatedFat 23.7, Cholesterol 160.4, Sodium 2199.1, Carbohydrate 54.6, Fiber 0.9, Sugar 46.8, Protein 43.3
CHICKEN ADOBO IN COCONUT MILK (ADOBONG MANOK SA GATA)
The best Filipino dishes are the ones that do not have a written recipe other than the knowledge passed on from generation to another. This is one is a great example and it is one of my all time favourite comfort food. Back in the Philippines, when I was still in university, I would always ask my Mom to make this for me every time I come home and visit during the holiday break. This recipe brings back a lot of happy memories and has been a great source of comfort whenever I feel homesick. I have adapted this recipe, again due to the lack of original ingredients. It calls for free-range chicken which has a lot more flavour to it and it can also stand the long cooking time required for this recipe. Use the pepper of your choice. (We used labuyo, or bird's eye chili originally, but I think jalapeno, serano or habanero are good candidates for substitute).
Provided by Pinaygourmet 345142
Categories Whole Chicken
Yield 8-10 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 11
- In a large pot, saute ginger, garlic, and lemon grass in oil.
- Add the chicken pieces, season with salt, vinegar and a generous sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until the vinegar is completely absorbed by the chicken pieces.
- Add 400 ml of coconut milk. Stir constantly in the first 10 minutes to avoid curdling of the coconut milk. Then you can cover it and let it simmer for 30 minutes or until the coconut milk is half absorbed. Stir occasionally though to avoid burning it.
- Add the slices of green papaya and the chili.
- When the papaya is half done, add the remaining 400 ml of coconut milk, again stir in the first 10 minutes to avoid curdling. Simmer for another 20-30 minutes or until all the liquid is almost absorbed and the chicken pieces are falling off the bones.
- Serve with lots of steamed rice.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 447.2, Fat 38, SaturatedFat 23.4, Cholesterol 63.8, Sodium 78.6, Carbohydrate 11, Fiber 1.2, Sugar 5.1, Protein 18.4
More about "chicken and coconut milk adobo recipes"
COCONUT CHICKEN ADOBO RECIPE - MARY-FRANCES HECK
5/5 (13)Category Chicken
- Whisk together coconut milk, soy sauce, and vinegar in a high-sided non-reactive Dutch oven. Stir in bay leaves, chiles, garlic, and black pepper. Nestle chicken leg quarters in mixture; add a splash of water, if needed, to submerge chicken. Bring to a gentle simmer over medium. Cover and reduce heat to low to maintain a gentle simmer; cook until chicken is very tender, about 1 hour. Remove from heat; let stand 15 minutes.
- Remove chicken from Dutch oven; arrange chicken, skin side up, on a broiler-safe rimmed baking sheet lined with aluminum foil. Pour sauce through a fine wire-mesh strainer into a bowl. Reserve bay leaves and chiles; discard solids, and return sauce, bay leaves, and chiles to Dutch oven. Bring sauce to a simmer over medium-low. Simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce is thickened and coats the back of a spoon, 12 to 15 minutes. Season with salt to taste. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to broil with oven rack 6 inches from heat source. Pat chicken dry with paper towels; sprinkle all over with 1/2 teaspoon salt. Broil in preheated oven until chicken skin is sizzling and dark brown, 4 to 5 minutes. Serve with steamed rice, sliced scallions, and sauce.
CHICKEN ADOBO WITH COCONUT MILK (ADOBO SA GATâ)
Estimated Reading Time 6 mins
CHICKEN ADOBO WITH COCONUT MILK - SEASONS AND SUPPERS
4.5/5 (2)Total Time 50 minsCategory Main CourseCalories 478 per serving
BEST CHICKEN ADOBO RECIPE - MASHED
CHICKEN ADOBO WITH GATA (COCONUT MILK) - YOUTUBE
FILIPINO CHICKEN ADOBO WITH COCONUT BROTH | MILK STREET
SLOW COOKER CHICKEN ADOBO | KETO / LOW CARB - SUPERGOLDEN BAKES
CHICKEN ADOBO WITH COCONUT MILK | LOW SIMMER BLOG
FILIPINO-STYLE CHICKEN ADOBO - ONCE UPON A CHEF
CHICKEN AND PORK ADOBO WITH COCONUT MILK | PANLASANG …
ONE SKILLET FILIPINO COCONUT ADOBO CHICKEN. - HALF BAKED …
FILIPINO CHICKEN ADOBO IN COCONUT MILK - ASIAN IN AMERICA
CHICKEN ADOBO WITH COCONUT MILK - RECIPE | SCMP COOKING
COCONUT CHICKEN ADOBO — CINNAMON SOCIETY
HOW TO MAKE FILIPINO COCONUT MILK CHICKEN ADOBO - YOUTUBE
SKILLET CHICKEN ADOBO WITH COCONUT RICE. - HALF BAKED HARVEST
ADOBO SA GATA ( SPICY PORK ADOBO WITH COCONUT MILK) - KAWALING …
CHICKEN ADOBO WITH COCONUT MILK - REZEL KEALOHA
CHICKEN ADOBO WITH COCONUT MILK - SALU SALO RECIPES
CHICKEN ADOBO IN COCONUT CREAM » PINOY FOOD RECIPES
CHICKEN ADOBO IN COCONUT MILK - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
CHICKEN ADOBO - THE WOKS OF LIFE
CHICKEN ADOBO WITH COCONUT MILK (ADOBONG MANOK SA GATA)
CHICKEN ADOBO WITH COCONUT MILK - PINOYCOOKINGRECIPES.COM
CHICKEN ADOBO WITH COCONUT MILK - BIGOVEN
CHICKEN ADOBO - ONOLICIOUS HAWAIʻI
CHICKEN ADOBO IN COCONUT MILK RECIPE - RECIPEZAZZ.COM
ANGELA DIMAYUGA’S COCONUT MILK CHICKEN ADOBO : RECIPES
ANGELA DIMAYUGA’S COCONUT MILK CHICKEN ADOBO – TAMRON HALL …
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN ADOBO WITH COCONUT MILK, A PHILIPPINE …
BEST FILIPINO CHICKEN ADOBO WITH COCONUT BROTH RECIPE - HOW TO …
INSTANT POT CHICKEN IN COCONUT MILK ADOBO (ADOBO SA GATA) – …
CHICKEN AND COCONUT MILK ADOBO (ADOBONG MANOK SA GATA) RECIPE …
HOW TO COOK CHICKEN AND PORK ADOBO 3 WAYS - THE FAT KID INSIDE
CHICKEN ADOBO WITH COCONUT MILK - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING …
COCONUT MILK CHICKEN ADOBO | RECIPE CART
EASY CHICKEN ADOBO IN COCONUT MILK RECIPE
THAI COCONUT TURKEY SOUP - THERESCIPES.INFO
CHICKEN ADOBO IN COCONUT MILK RECIPE
INSTANT POT CHICKEN ADOBO (JUST 6 INGREDIENTS!)
CHICKEN ADOBO — MARK BITTMAN
You'll also love