CHICKEN ENCHILADAS WITH SALSA VERDE
Don't let the one-hour prep time on these enchiladas scare you. Use some leftover roast chicken, or buy a roast chicken at the market on the way home, and you'll save at least 20 minutes, making the dish a terrific weeknight feed, alongside a green salad. (At El Real Tex-Mex restaurant, in Houston, the great Tex-Mex scholar and restaurateur Robb Walsh serves his version with lightly smoked chicken, which if you can find or make is superb.) The salsa verde is dead simple to make and the rest is assembly - a task that grows markedly easier each time you do it.
Provided by Sam Sifton
Categories weekday, weeknight, main course
Yield 4 to 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 15
- Prepare the chicken: Place chicken parts in a large saucepan with onion, garlic and salt, and cover with water. Heat pan over high heat until liquid comes to a boil, then reduce heat to medium and let simmer until chicken is cooked through, about 20 to 25 minutes. Remove chicken and let cool, reserving stock for another use. Using your fingers or two forks, shred meat from chicken and reserve, discarding skin and bones. (Alternatively, shred meat from leftover or store-bought roast chicken and set aside.)
- Meanwhile, heat oven to 375, and make the salsa verde: Combine tomatillos, onion, garlic, serranos and cilantro in a blender or food processor and purée until smooth, adding water as needed to thin it out a little. Season with salt to taste.
- Prepare the tortillas: In medium sauté pan set over medium-high heat, heat oil until it begins to shimmer. Using tongs or a wide spatula, place a tortilla in the hot fat; it should start to bubble immediately. Heat tortilla for about 10 seconds a side, until soft and lightly browned. Remove tortilla and set on a rack set over a baking pan, or just on a baking pan if you don't have a rack. Repeat with remaining tortillas, working quickly.
- Assemble the enchiladas: Use a ladle to put about 1/2 cup salsa verde in the bottom of a 9-by-13-inch baking pan and spread it out a little. Roll a few tablespoons of shredded chicken into each tortilla with a teaspoon or so of salsa verde and place it seam-side down in the pan, nestling each one against the last. Ladle salsa verde over top of rolled tortillas and sprinkle with about half the crumbled cheese.
- Transfer to oven and bake until sauce bubbles and cheese is melted, about 15 minutes. Dot with crema, sprinkle with remaining cheese and, if using, chopped onion, then serve immediately.
Nutrition Facts : @context http, Calories 770, UnsaturatedFat 37 grams, Carbohydrate 31 grams, Fat 58 grams, Fiber 5 grams, Protein 33 grams, SaturatedFat 15 grams, Sodium 883 milligrams, Sugar 6 grams, TransFat 0 grams
CHICKEN ENCHILADAS WITH CREAMY GREEN CHILE SAUCE
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Fry tortillas (1 at a time) for 5 seconds on each side to soften and make them pliable. Add more oil to pan as needed. Drain between layers of paper towel and keep warm.
- Divide chicken, 10 ounces of Monterey Jack cheese, and onion among the 12 tortillas. Roll up each tortilla and place seam-side down in the prepared pan.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Add flour and whisk until mixture begins to boil. Slowly add broth, stirring with a whisk until thickened. Mix in the sour cream and chiles, heating thoroughly but do not boil, stirring occasionally. Pour mixture over the enchiladas.
- Bake in the preheated oven until bubbly and heated through, about 20 minutes. Top with remaining Monterey Jack cheese and bake for 5 more minutes. Garnish with chopped green onions and cilantro.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 798.4 calories, Carbohydrate 33.3 g, Cholesterol 172.2 mg, Fat 51.9 g, Fiber 4.3 g, Protein 49.8 g, SaturatedFat 24.6 g, Sodium 1081.2 mg, Sugar 2.9 g
AUTHENTIC ENCHILADAS VERDES
- In a saucepan, combine chicken breast with chicken broth, one quarter onion, a clove of garlic, and 2 teaspoons salt. Bring to a boil, and then boil for 20 minutes. Reserve broth, set chicken aside to cool, and discard onion and garlic. When cool enough to handle, shred chicken with your hands.
- Place tomatillos and serrano chiles in a pot with water, enough to cover them. Bring to boil, and continue boiling until tomatillos turn a different shade of green (from bright green to a dull, army green). Strain tomatillos and chiles, and place in a blender with another quarter piece of onion, 1 clove garlic, and a pinch of salt. Pour in reserved chicken broth, so that liquid just covers the veggies in the blender by about an inch. Blend all ingredients until they are completely pureed. Pour salsa in a medium saucepan, and bring to a low boil.
- Pour oil in a frying pan, and allow to get very hot. Slightly fry tortillas one by one in hot oil, setting each on a paper towel afterwards to soak some of the oil. Finally, dip slightly fried tortillas in low-boiling green salsa, until tortillas become soft again. Place on plates, 3 per person.
- Fill or top tortillas with shredded chicken, then extra green sauce. Top with crumbled cheese, chopped onion, and chopped cilantro.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 559.4 calories, Carbohydrate 48.9 g, Cholesterol 84 mg, Fat 25 g, Fiber 8.2 g, Protein 37.1 g, SaturatedFat 6.6 g, Sodium 1344 mg, Sugar 6.7 g
CHICKEN ENCHILADAS WITH GREEN CHILE SAUCE (SALSA VERDE)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
- Heat olive oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and heat until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Combine chicken, onion mixture, cheese blend, cream cheese, salsa verde, olives, cilantro, and jalapenos in a large bowl for the filling. Mix well.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour, then chicken broth. Cook until sauce starts to thicken, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in sour cream and salsa verde; cook until heated through. Spread a spoonful of sauce over the bottoms of two 9x11-inch casserole dishes.
- Wrap a tortilla in a damp paper towel and microwave for about 30 seconds. Fill with the chicken mixture, roll up, and place seam-side down into a baking dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas until each dish holds 8 enchiladas.
- Spoon remaining sauce over the enchiladas. Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven until heated through, about 20 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 374 calories, Carbohydrate 16.7 g, Cholesterol 84.2 mg, Fat 24.8 g, Fiber 2.1 g, Protein 21.2 g, SaturatedFat 11.7 g, Sodium 514.3 mg, Sugar 1.2 g
CHICKEN ENCHILADAS WITH GREEN SALSA VERDE
Delightfully easy, entirely homemade chicken enchiladas with salsa verde. Don't let this lengthy recipe scare you away. It's really easy and homemade enchiladas have never tasted so authentic and delicious!
Provided by bford
Number Of Ingredients 17
- Combine chicken, 1/2 of the onion, peppercorns, salt, and bay leaf in a small pot. Cover with water and bring to a slow boil. Cook until chicken is no longer pink in the center and the juices run clear, about 15 minutes. An instant-read thermometer inserted into the center should read at least 165 degrees F (74 degrees C). Transfer chicken to a plate and shred meat with a fork. Discard broth or reserve for another use.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Spray a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat; stir in remaining onion. Cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Transfer onion to a bowl and mix in shredded chicken, 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, and cotija cheese.
- Combine tomatillos, green chiles, cream, cilantro, serrano pepper, egg, and salt for sauce in a blender; blend until smooth.
- Stuff warmed tortillas with chicken mixture. Roll and place seam-side down in the prepared baking dish. Pour all sauce over top. It may seem runny, but it will set up. Sprinkle remaining Monterey Jack on top.
- Bake in the preheated oven until bubbly, about 20 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 610 calories, Carbohydrate 35.2 g, Cholesterol 152.5 mg, Fat 39.3 g, Fiber 4.6 g, Protein 28.8 g, SaturatedFat 19 g, Sodium 1857.1 mg, Sugar 3.6 g
CREAMY CHICKEN ENCHILADAS VERDE
Provided by Food Network
Yield 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 9
- 1. HEAT oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2. MIX sour cream and salsa until well blended.
- 3. Cook and stir onions and garlic in hot oil in large skillet on medium heat 4 to 5 min. or until vegetables are crisp-tender.
- 4. Stir in chicken, 1 cup sour cream mixture, chiles and 1/2 cup cheese .
- 5. SPOON about 1/3 cup chicken mixture down center of each tortilla
- 6. Roll up.
- 7. Place, seam-sides down, in 13x9-inch baking dish sprayed with cooking spray. Top with remaining tomatillo sauce and cheese. Cover.
- 8. BAKE 15 to 20 min. or until heated through.
- Serving Suggestion:
- Serve with a side of hot cooked rice to round out the meal.
- Special Extra:
- Sprinkle with chopped tomatoes and sliced green onions just before serving.
- Prepare as directed, omitting the oil and substituting 1 lb. extra-lean ground beef for the chicken. Brown meat with onions and garlic; continue as directed.
- How to Shred Cooked Chicken:
- Place cooked chicken on cutting board. Use 2 forks or your fingers to pull meat lengthwise in opposite directions, separating it into long shreds.
CHICKEN ENCHILADAS WITH SALSA VERDE
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Fill a large pot 3/4 full with water and bring to a boil. Add chicken and season with salt and black pepper. Cook until chicken is no longer pink inside, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring 1 cup water to a boil in a medium-sized pot. Add tomatillos, serrano pepper, and garlic. Boil for 12 minutes.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Place poblano peppers in a resealable plastic bag and add 1 tablespoon oil. Toss to coat. Transfer peppers to the hot skillet and roast until dark brown on all sides, about 5 minutes. Return roasted peppers to the resealable bag and seal. Set aside to steam for 10 minutes. Take out peppers from the bag; remove and discard skins and stems.
- Use a slotted spoon to transfer tomatillos, serrano peppers, garlic, and 1/2 cup of the cooking liquid to a blender. Add onion, cilantro, lime juice, roasted poblano peppers, salt, and pepper to the blender. Liquefy into a smooth sauce.
- Remove chicken from the water in the pot and shred using a fork.
- Heat 1/2 cup oil in a skillet over medium heat. Fry tortillas in the hot oil until softened, about 5 seconds on each side. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to absorb excess oil.
- Pour 1/2 the sauce from the blender into the bottom of a long glass baking pan. Roll a portion of chicken mixture and some shredded queso cheese on a tortilla, roll up, and place in the pan. Repeat with remaining tortillas, chicken mixture, and queso cheese. Cover enchiladas with remaining sauce. Use a spoon to add crema in a zigzag design on top. Top everything with remaining queso cheese.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cheese starts to brown, about 20 minutes.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 476.3 calories, Carbohydrate 21.5 g, Cholesterol 100.4 mg, Fat 32 g, Fiber 3 g, Protein 26.6 g, SaturatedFat 11.9 g, Sodium 454 mg, Sugar 1.4 g
People also searched
More about "chicken enchiladas with green chile sauce salsa verde recipes"
GREEN CHILE CHICKEN ENCHILADAS (SALSA VERDE) - EASY ...
- Prepare the enchilada sauce: In a large bowl, combine the salsa verde and sour cream or Greek yogurt. Set aside.
- Prepare the filling: Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once heated, add in the onion, salt, chili powder, and cumin and cook for a few minutes until the onion has softened. Add in the garlic and cook for a minute. Stir in the cooked chicken and green chiles. Take off the heat and stir in 2/3 cup of the enchilada sauce and 1/2 cup cheese.
- Assemble the tortillas: Grease a 9 x 12 casserole dish. Layer 1/2 cup of enchilada sauce on the bottom of dish. Place equal portions of the filling into the middle of each tortilla. Roll up each tortilla and place seam side down in the dish. Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the top. Top with remaining cheese.
GREEN ENCHILADAS MADE WITH LEFTOVER CHILI VERDE - HILDA'S ...
Estimated Reading Time 6 mins See details »
EASY SALSA VERDE CHICKEN ENCHILADAS - EASY RECIPES FOR ...
5/5 (134)Category DinnerCuisine MexicanTotal Time 40 mins See details »
GREEN CHILE CHICKEN ENCHILADAS (SO CREAMY WITH NO CREAM SOUP!)
Estimated Reading Time 9 mins
- Spread 1/2 cup Green Chile Sour Cream Sauce on the bottom of a lightly greased 9x13 baking dish (layer will be very thin). Add the enchilada filling to the center of each tortilla (approx. ½ cup), roll them up tightly and line them in the dish seam side down. Top enchiladas evenly with remaining Green Chile Sour Cream Sauce followed by remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered at 350 degrees F for 30-35 minutes or until cheese is completely melted and center is hot. Broil until cheese is golden (optional). Top or serve with desired garnishes.
EASY ENCHILADAS VERDES (GREEN ENCHILADAS)
4.5/5 (16)Category DinnerCuisine MexicanTotal Time 1 hr
- Place the chicken breasts in a stock pot along with 1⁄2 an onion and salt and cover with water. Bring to a boil and simmer until cooked through, about 20 minutes.
CHICKEN ENCHILADAS WITH SALSA VERDE RECIPE | MYRECIPES
5/5 (65)Servings 4
- Combine first 4 ingredients in a blender; process until smooth. Combine chicken and cream cheese in a large bowl. Stir in 1/2 cup salsa mixture. Reserve remaining salsa mixture.
- Bring broth to a simmer in a medium skillet. Working with one tortilla at a time, add tortilla to pan; cook 20 seconds or until moist, turning once. Remove tortilla; drain on paper towels. Spoon about 1/4 cup chicken mixture down center of tortilla; roll up. Place tortilla, seam-side down, in an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Repeat procedure with remaining tortillas, broth, and chicken mixture.
- Pour remaining salsa mixture over enchiladas; sprinkle evenly with queso fresco and chili powder. Bake at 425° for 18 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve with lime wedges. Garnish with cilantro sprigs, if desired.
HATCH GREEN CHILE ENCHILADAS | MEXICAN PLEASE
- To poach the chicken, cover the chicken breast with cold water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce heat and let simmer for 20 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Once cooked, set aside to cool and then shred using two forks. You can optionally add a half onion, cilantro sprigs and a pinch of salt to the poaching liquid for additional flavor.
- Once roasted and cooled off a bit, de-stem and de-seed the chiles. You can also pull off and discard any loose bits of skin from the chiles. Add the roasted chile pieces to a blender along with a splash of water or stock and combine well.
- Finely dice the 1/2 onion, reserving a few tablespoons of the chopped onion for the insides of the enchiladas. Saute the majority of the chopped onion in some oil over medium heat. Once it has softened add a minced garlic clove and cook for an additional minute or so. Add the chiles from the blender along with: 1 cup stock, 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano, a pinch of cumin, 1/4 teaspoon of salt, and some freshly cracked black pepper.
BEST ENCHILADAS VERDES (MAKE AHEAD, FREEZER INSTRUCTIONS ...
Estimated Reading Time 10 mins
- In a large bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup enchilada sauce, 1 cup sour cream and all filling seasonings. Stir in chicken until combined followed by 2 1/2 cups cheese until evenly combined. Set aside.
- Lightly spray a 9x13 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray and pour 1/2 cup enchilada sauce evenly over the bottom. Place some of the remaining enchilada sauce in a shallow dish or pie pan (to coat tortillas later).
- Add enough canola or vegetable oil to a cast iron/medium skillet so it covers the bottom and heat over medium-high heat. Working with one tortilla at a time, add tortilla and lightly fry for about 10 seconds on each side, just until soft with a few bubbles but not brown or crisp. Line finished tortillas on a paper towel lined plate, with paper towels in between each row. Repeat with 12-14 tortillas. **(See microwave option in notes)
- Working with one tortilla at a time, dip tortilla in enchilada sauce, place on a cutting board and fill with a generous amount of filling (about 1/3 cup). Roll up each tortilla and place seam side down in prepared baking dish. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
HEALTHY SALSA VERDE GREEN CHICKEN ENCHILADAS - FROM ...
Estimated Reading Time 6 mins
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, beans, corn, green onions, garlic, chili powder, cumin and lime juice. Season with salt and pepper.
- Whisk together the green salsa and the sour cream. Warm the sauce in a medium saucepan over medium heat or in the microwave in a large bowl, just until warmed through (don’t boil).
SALSA VERDE CHICKEN ENCHILADAS - MEXICAN RECIPES - OLD EL PASO
- In 10-inch skillet, heat chicken, 1/2 cup of the enchilada sauce and the chiles to simmering over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until heated through.
- Spread 1/2 cup of the enchilada sauce evenly in baking dish. Spread 1/4 cup chicken mixture down center of each tortilla; sprinkle with 2 tablespoons cheese. Wrap tortillas tightly around filling, placing seam side down in baking dish. Top with remaining enchilada sauce. Sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake uncovered 20 to 25 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Let stand 5 minutes before serving; drizzle with sauce. Top with tomatoes and green onions.
CREAMY SALSA VERDE GREEN CHICKEN ENCHILADAS RECIPE – STATE ...
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until translucent, 2-3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and add in the lime juice, green chile, 1/3 cup salsa verde, 1/2 cup sour cream, cilantro, 1 1/2 cup of cheese, and the chicken. Stir until combined.
SALSA VERDE CHICKEN ENCHILADAS RECIPE
- Poach chicken thighs: Put chicken thighs in a medium-sized saucepan and just cover with water. Add the halved garlic, 1/4 of an onion, and 2 teaspoons of salt to the water.
- Cook the tomatillos: While the chicken is cooking, put the tomatillos and serrano chili peppers in a separate sauce pan and cover them with water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer.
- Make the salsa verde: Use a slotted spoon to transfer tomatillos and serrano chilis to a blender. Add 1/4 cup of the tomatillo cooking liquid to the blender, as well as 2 cloves of garlic, a half cup of chopped onion, 1 tablespoon of lime juice, and about 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro.
- Shred chicken meat, toss with salsa verde: Remove the cooked chicken meat from the bones (if using bone-in thighs). Shred the meat with a fork or knife.
- Soften the tortillas: Heat a tablespoon of oil in a frying pan on medium-high heat. Add a tortilla to the pan and let it sizzle for 10 seconds or so. Use a metal spatula to flip it to the other side.
- Roll up tortillas with chicken: Preheat the oven to 250°F. Scoop a spoonful of chicken into the center of the tortilla and roll up the tortilla. Place the rolled tortilla seam side down in a casserole dish and repeat with all of the tortillas.
- Cover with foil and warm in oven: Cover the rolled tortillas with foil and keep warm in a 250°F for 10 minutes.
- Heat salsa and smother the rolled tortillas with it: Place the remaining tomatillo salsa in a small saucepan and heat on medium high heat until simmering.
- Add sour cream and garnishes: Top with crumbled cotija cheese, chopped red onion, and chopped fresh cilantro. Thin the sour cream with a tablespoon of water and drizzle all over the top of the enchiladas.
GREEN CHICKEN ENCHILADAS - DAMN DELICIOUS
Estimated Reading Time 4 mins See details »
SKILLET CHICKEN WITH GREEN CHILE SAUCE RECIPES
See details »
EASY CHEESY CHICKEN ENCHILADAS IN GREEN SAUCE RECIPES
See details »
CHICKEN ENCHILADAS WITH GREEN CHILE SAUCE SALSA VERDE RECIPES
See details »
CHICKEN ENCHILADAS WITH GREEN CHILE SAUCE (SALSA VERDE ...
See details »
CHICKEN CHILE ENCHILADAS RECIPES
See details »
GREEN ENCHILADAS WITH CHICKEN (+VIDEO) - SEEKING GOOD EATS
See details »
WHITE CHICKEN ENCHILADAS WITH GREEN CHILI SOUR CREAM SAUCE ...
See details »
SALSA ENCHILADAS RECIPES
See details »
You'll also love