CHILI CON CARNE
Provided by Food Network Kitchen
Yield 6 to 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 18
- Cook the bacon in a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium heat until crisp, 6 to 8 minutes per side. Drain on a paper towel-lined plate and let cool, then crumble and set aside. Pour off all but 1 tablespoon of the bacon drippings from the saucepan (reserve the drippings). Increase the heat to medium high, add the beef and cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until browned, about 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate using a slotted spoon; wipe out the pan.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the reserved bacon drippings in the saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook, stirring, until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and 1 teaspoon salt and cook 2 minutes. Add the chili powder, cumin, paprika, oregano and tomato paste and cook, stirring, until the tomato paste is brick red, about 6 minutes (add a splash of water if the mixture begins to stick). Add the beer and simmer until almost completely reduced, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the beef and any juices from the plate; add the cocoa powder, tomatoes, beef broth and beans and bring to a simmer over low heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the chili thickens slightly, about 1 hour, 30 minutes.
- Stir the hot sauce into the chili and season with salt. Add some beef broth if the chili is too thick. Ladle into bowls and top with the crumbled bacon, cheese, scallions and/or sour cream.
CHILI CON CARNE
- In 3-quart saucepan, cook beef, onion and garlic over medium-high heat about 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until beef is brown; drain.
- Stir in remaining ingredients except beans. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in beans. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; simmer uncovered about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until desired thickness.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 390, Carbohydrate 35 g, Cholesterol 70 mg, Fat 1/2, Fiber 9 g, Protein 31 g, SaturatedFat 5 g, ServingSize 1 Serving, Sodium 770 mg, Sugar 6 g, TransFat 1 g
CHILLI CON CARNE RECIPE
This great chilli recipe has to be one of the best dishes to serve to friends for a casual get-together. An easy sharing favourite that uses up storecupboard ingredients.
Provided by Good Food team
Categories Dinner, Lunch
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Prepare your vegetables. Chop 1 large onion into small dice, about 5mm square. The easiest way to do this is to cut the onion in half from root to tip, peel it and slice each half into thick matchsticks lengthways, not quite cutting all the way to the root end so they are still held together. Slice across the matchsticks into neat dice.
- Cut 1 red pepper in half lengthways, remove stalk and wash the seeds away, then chop. Peel and finely chop 2 garlic cloves.
- Start cooking. Put your pan on the hob over a medium heat. Add 1 tbsp oil and leave it for 1-2 minutes until hot (a little longer for an electric hob).
- Add the onion and cook, stirring fairly frequently, for about 5 minutes, or until the onion is soft, squidgy and slightly translucent.
- Tip in the garlic, red pepper, 1 heaped tsp hot chilli powder or 1 level tbsp mild chilli powder, 1 tsp paprika and 1 tsp ground cumin.
- Give it a good stir, then leave it to cook for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Brown 500g lean minced beef. Turn the heat up a bit, add the meat to the pan and break it up with your spoon or spatula. The mix should sizzle a bit when you add the mince.
- Keep stirring and prodding for at least 5 minutes, until all the mince is in uniform, mince-sized lumps and there are no more pink bits. Make sure you keep the heat hot enough for the meat to fry and become brown, rather than just stew.
- Make the sauce. Crumble 1 beef stock cube into 300ml hot water. Pour this into the pan with the mince mixture.
- Add a 400g can of chopped tomatoes. Tip in ½ tsp dried marjoram, 1 tsp sugar and add a good shake of salt and pepper. Squirt in about 2 tbsp tomato purée and stir the sauce well.
- Simmer it gently. Bring the whole thing to the boil, give it a good stir and put a lid on the pan. Turn down the heat until it is gently bubbling and leave it for 20 minutes.
- Check on the pan occasionally to stir it and make sure the sauce doesn't catch on the bottom of the pan or isn't drying out. If it is, add a couple of tablespoons of water and make sure that the heat really is low enough. After simmering gently, the saucy mince mixture should look thick, moist and juicy.
- Drain and rinse a 410g can of red kidney beans in a sieve and stir them into the chilli pot. Bring to the boil again, and gently bubble without the lid for another 10 minutes, adding a little more water if it looks too dry.
- Taste a bit of the chilli and season. It will probably take a lot more seasoning than you think.
- Now replace the lid, turn off the heat and leave your chilli to stand for 10 minutes before serving. This is really important as it allows the flavours to mingle.
- Serve with soured cream and plain boiled long grain rice.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 387 calories, Fat 17 grams fat, SaturatedFat 6 grams saturated fat, Carbohydrate 25 grams carbohydrates, Sugar 1 grams sugar, Fiber 6 grams fiber, Protein 36 grams protein, Sodium 2.32 milligram of sodium
AWARD WINNING CHILI CON CARNE
This chili recipe is many years in the making and I have won several awards with it. I think you'll be pleased with it. You can alter it to your own spice levels to achieve your perfect chili. Garnish with shredded mozzarella cheese, and use corn chips for dipping.
Provided by CHEFJIMMY
Number Of Ingredients 22
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook green pepper, and onion, until softened. Add the ground beef and cook until browned. Crumble over bouillon cubes, and stir in wine; continue to cook for a few minutes. Stir in chopped tomatoes, garlic, and tomato paste. Season with paprika, chili powder, cayenne pepper, basil, oregano, and parsley. Stir in salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium low. Cover, and simmer for 90 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in kidney beans, and hot pepper sauce. You can add the reserved tomato juice if more liquid is needed. Continue to simmer for an additional 30 minutes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, corn meal, and water until smooth. Stir into chili, and cook for a further 10 minutes, or until chili has thickened up.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 494.6 calories, Carbohydrate 29.1 g, Cholesterol 85.8 mg, Fat 27.2 g, Fiber 7.5 g, Protein 31.6 g, SaturatedFat 8.9 g, Sodium 1211.6 mg, Sugar 9.2 g
CHILI CON CARNE
At chili suppers, this chili con carne recipe always disappears first! It's nice at home, too, since the longer it sits in the refrigerator, the better the taste seems to get. -Janie Turner, Tuttle, Oklahoma
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 10 servings ( 2 1/2 qt.)
Number Of Ingredients 16
- In a Dutch oven, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink, 5-7 minutes; crumble beef. Drain and set aside. , In the same pot, heat oil; saute onions until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the green pepper, salt, chili powder, bouillon, cayenne, cinnamon, cumin and oregano. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring until combined. , Add tomatoes and browned beef. Stir in water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for about 1 hour. Add beans and heat through. If desired top with sour cream and jalapeno.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 264 calories, Fat 14g fat (4g saturated fat), Cholesterol 56mg cholesterol, Sodium 892mg sodium, Carbohydrate 15g carbohydrate (5g sugars, Fiber 5g fiber), Protein 20g protein.
CHILI CON CARNE WITH BEANS
This is my father-in-laws recipe for chili. I love to make it on a cold winter night. Sometimes I serve it with Corn Chips in the bottom of the bowl, topped with the chili and then top the chili with grated cheddar cheese
Provided by Marty Hugo
Categories One Dish Meal
Yield 6-8 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 16
- Saute meat, onions and garlic until done.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 2 hours.
- The beer is optional but does add a good flavor and, of course, the alcohol is cooked out during cooking.
CHILI CON CARNE II
- In a medium sized stock pot, heat the oil over medium heat. Saute onion, chile pepper and garlic until soft. Add ground beef: cook and stir until meat is browned.
- Pour in tomatoes with liquid, salt, pepper, cumin, chili powder, paprika, oregano, cinnamon sticks, and cloves. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Stir in kidney beans, and cook another 15 minutes. Remove cinnamon sticks before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 397 calories, Carbohydrate 32.5 g, Cholesterol 61.5 mg, Fat 19.3 g, Fiber 7.3 g, Protein 23.9 g, SaturatedFat 5.5 g, Sodium 916.8 mg, Sugar 11.3 g
More about "chili con carne recipes"
CHILI CON CARNE - RECIPE - CHILI PEPPER MADNESS
Ratings 30Calories 434 per servingCategory Main Course, Soup
- Make your chili sauce first by lightly toasting the dried ancho and guajillo peppers in a dry pan about a minute or 2 per side. This will help to release the oils.
- Add them to a food processor with 1.5 cups of the soaking water and a bit of salt to taste. Process until nice and smooth. Set aside for now.
HEARTY HOMEMADE CHILI CON CARNE RECIPE - FOODESS.COM
Cuisine MexicanCategory DinnerServings 8Total Time 1 hr 20 mins
- Cook onions over medium heat until golden, about 20 minutes. Add the garlic and jalapeño, cook 1 minute more, until fragrant.
- Add beef and season with 1 tsp salt, pepper and chili powder. Cook, breaking up with a spoon, until no longer pink inside. Stir in tomato paste and cook, stirring constantly, for 2 minutes, until it turns a shade darker.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 30 minutes or longer.
SIMPLE CHILLI CON CARNE | JAMIE OLIVER CHILLI RECIPES
Servings 6Total Time 1 hr 15 minsCategory Cheap & CheerfulCalories 353 per serving
- Peel and finely chop the onions, garlic, carrots and celery – don’t worry about the technique, just chop away until fine.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of oil in a large casserole pan on a medium-high heat, add the chopped veg, chilli powder, cumin, cinnamon and a good pinch of sea salt and black pepper, then cook for 7 minutes, or until softened, stirring regularly.
- Drain and add the chickpeas and kidney beans, tip in the tomatoes, breaking them up with the back of a spoon, then pour in 1 tin's worth of water.
CHILLI CON CARNE | RECIPETIN EATS
5/5 (140)Total Time 40 minsCategory DinnerCalories 367 per serving
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add garlic and onion, cook for 1 minute, then add capsicum and cook for 2 minutes until onion is translucent.
- Add Chili Spice Mix. Cook until beef is browned all over. (This step helps release extra flavour from the spices)
- Add remaining ingredients, with 1/2 cup of water for Quick Cook or 1 1/2 cups for Slow Cook. Bring to simmer, then adjust heat per step below:
11 BEST CHILLI CON CARNE RECIPES AND HOW TO MAKE CHILLI ...
Author Fiona LoganEstimated Reading Time 4 mins See details »
CHILI CON CARNE AUTHENTIC RECIPE | TASTEATLAS
4.3/5 (94)Servings 8Cuisine AmericanCategory Stew See details »
CHILI CON CARNE RECIPE - SIMPLY RECIPES
4.9/5 (11)Total Time 2 hrs 25 minsCuisine AmericanCalories 628 per serving See details »
CHILLI CON CARNE | MEXICAN RECIPES | SBS FOOD
3.4/5 (64)Servings 6Cuisine MexicanTotal Time 1 hr 30 mins See details »
CHILLI CON CARNE RECIPE - AUTHENTIC MEXICAN TASTE - THE ...
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins See details »
CHILI CON CARNE | MEXICAN PLEASE
5/5 (10)Category SoupCuisine MexicanCalories 495 per serving
- Wipe off any dusty crevasses on the dried chiles. De-stem and de-seed the chiles, but don't worry about getting rid of every last seed. Roast them in the oven for 1-2 minutes or until warm and fragrant. Add the roasted chile pieces to a bowl and cover them with the hottest tap water you've got. Let them reconstitute for 20 minutes or so.
- Rinse and de-stem the tomatoes. Roast them in a 400F oven for 20-30 minutes or until you need them.
- Preheat your main pot over medium-high heat along with a glug of oil. Chop up the chuck roast into 1-1.5" chunks and give it a good salting. You can discard any fat pieces that you don't want in your Chili. Sear the beef chunks in the pot until they are browning on all sides (tongs work great for this step). Once browned you can set the beef pieces aside.
- In the same pot, add a finely chopped onion along with another glug of oil. Cook the onion over medium heat until softened. Then add 4 minced garlic cloves and briefly cook. Scoop half of the onion-garlic mixture into the blender where it will become part of the chile puree. Note: if you're concerned about the garlic burning then add the 4 cups of stock to the main pot now while you work on the chile puree.
CLASSIC CHILI CON CARNE - ERREN'S KITCHEN
Ratings 61Calories 524 per servingCategory Dinner
- Heat the olive oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add the onions and sauté until lightly golden, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the garlic and fry another minute.
- Add the cumin, oregano, paprika, cayenne pepper, and tomato paste and cook, stirring about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, beef stock, and beans. Season to taste with salt and pepper, stir in the parsley, and bring to a simmer over low heat.
CHILI CON CARNE RECIPE - FOOD.COM
5/5 (17)Category CheeseAuthor Michelle KasperCalories 388 per serving
- Add the onion, green bell pepper, garlic, chili powder, Essence, salt, cumin, oregano, and cayenne, and cook, stirring, until soft, about 4 minutes.
BEST HOMEMADE CHILI CON CARNE RECIPE - KEY TO MY LIME
5/5 (6)Total Time 1 hr 50 minsCategory DinnerCalories 335 per serving
- Heat a large Dutch oven on the stove over medium heat. Once hot, add the oil and swirl to coat the bottom of the pot. Add the onions and saute for 2 minutes, then add the jalapenos and saute for an additional 2 - 3 minutes (or until the onions are turning translucent). Add the salt and stir to combine. Add the garlic and saute for approximately 30 seconds (or until aromatic).
- Add the cumin, oregano, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, and stir to combine and evenly coat the meat. Saute for 2 minutes to toast the spices.
- Add in the tomato paste, diced tomatoes with juices, water, roasted beef base bouillon, and kidney beans. Stir to combine and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a simmer.
CHILI CON CARNE RECIPE | MYRECIPES
3/5 (22)Total Time 2 hrs 10 minsServings 10Calories 360 per serving
- Place poblanos on a foil-lined baking sheet; broil 8 minutes or until charred, turning after 6 minutes. Place poblanos in a zip-top plastic bag; seal. Let stand 15 minutes. Peel and cut chiles into 1-inch pieces.
- Sprinkle beef with salt and black pepper; dredge in flour. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add half of beef to pan; sauté for 5 minutes, turning to brown on all sides. Remove from pan. Repeat procedure with remaining oil and beef.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add onion to pan; cook 12 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic; cook 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Return beef to pan. Stir in tomato, oregano, and cumin; bring to a simmer. Cover and cook 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Stir in poblanos; simmer for 45 minutes or until beef is tender, stirring occasionally. Rinse, seed, and chop chipotle. Stir in chipotle and cilantro. Sprinkle with cheese.
CHILI CON CARNE WITH BEANS RECIPE | MYRECIPES
4/5 (8)Calories 403 per servingServings 4
- Cook first 6 ingredients in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until beef is browned, stirring to crumble. Add crushed tomatoes, salt, and diced tomatoes; bring to a boil.
CHILI CON CARNE RECIPE | FOODAL
Cuisine Stews And SoupsTotal Time 1 hr 18 minsCategory ChiliCalories 424 per serving See details »
CHILI CON CARNE - LUTONG PINOY RECIPE
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins See details »
BASIC CHILI CON CARNE RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
Ratings 34Calories 408 per servingCategory Entree, Lunch, Dinner See details »
10 BEST CHILI CON CARNE GROUND BEEF RECIPES | YUMMLY
10 BEST MEXICAN CHILI CON CARNE RECIPES | YUMMLY
CHILI CON CARNE - DIVINE FOOD RECIPES
See details »
CHILLI CON CARNE RECIPES | BBC GOOD FOOD
See details »
#time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #cuisine #preparation #north-american #main-dish #beef #mexican #chili #dietary #ground-beef #meat #4-hours-or-less
You'll also love