A classic New Orleans Crawfish Pie Recipe featuring a savory, Creole crawfish filling, enclosed in buttery, flaky pie crust and baked to perfection.
Provided by Kelly Anthony
Categories Main Course
Number Of Ingredients 18
- Preheat the oven to 400° and have ready a greased, 9" (preferably deep dish) pie tin.
- Add butter to a large saucepan or Dutch oven over medium-high heat. As soon as the butter has melted, add the celery, bell pepper, and onion and sauté for 5-7 minutes, until softened. Add the garlic and sauté 1 minute more.
- Sprinkle flour over the vegetables and stir until evenly coated. Stir in the tomato paste and begin adding the chicken broth one big splash at a time, whisking after each addition. Do this until the mixture begins to resemble a thick pudding. Once this consistency is reached, the remaining broth can be added in.
- Add the Worcestershire, hot sauce, Cajun seasoning, salt, pepper, and the bay leaf and allow the mixture to simmer, stirring often, about 6-8 minutes, until slightly thickened. Stir in the crawfish and tomatoes and simmer 5 minutes more. Set aside until ready to use.
- Roll out the pie dough so that it is a 1/4" thick. Lay one dough round on across the bottom of the pie dish, and allow the excess to lay over the sides of the dish.
- Pour the filling into the dish. Roll out the second dough round just the same, and place it over the dish. Crimp the edges of the pie crust together.
- To make the egg wash, whisk together the egg and 1 tablespoon of water, and using a pastry brush, lightly brush the mixture across the top crust and the edges. Create vent holes in the center of the pie, and transfer to a sturdy, rimmed baking sheet to catch any spillage.
- Bake the pie for 20 minutes. Then, reduce the temperature to 350° and bake for 25-28 minutes more, or until the top is golden-brown. Use a pie shield to prevent the edges from over-browning.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 15-20 minutes before cutting into. Serve and enjoy
Nutrition Facts : Calories 382 kcal, Carbohydrate 39 g, Protein 7 g, Fat 21 g, SaturatedFat 8 g, Cholesterol 51 mg, Sodium 955 mg, Fiber 3 g, Sugar 2 g, ServingSize 1 serving
- Add bell pepper, onion and celery to butter and saute until tender. Add crawfish fat and simmer covered 10 minutes. Add crawfish tails, green onions and remainder of seasonings. Thicken if necessary with a little cornstarch and let cook long enough to thicken gravy.
- Using your favorite pie crust recipe, make enough pie dough for a double crust pie. Place the dough in a 9-inch pie pan. Gently press the dough to the bottom and sides. Cut excess dough, leaving a 1-inch overhang. Fill the pie shell with the cooled filling. With a pastry brush, dip in cold water and moisten the outside edge of the pastry shell. Place top crust over the filling, cutting off the overhang even with the overhang on the bottom crust. Crimp the top and bottom crusts together, trim. Cut 2 or 3 one-inch parallel slits in the top of the pie. Place pie in a preheated 450 degree oven and bake for 10 minutes, then lower heat to 375 degrees and cook for 35 minutes longer or until crust is a golden brown. Serve hot as a main course.
- Individual pies:
- Using the same procedure, individual pie pans or a muffin pan with large cups can be used instead of a large pie pan. Roll the dough, fit into the cups, place the filling in the cups. Moisten the edges with cold water. Place a circle of dough on top. Crimp edges together. Cut a 1-inch slit in the center. Bake as above.
- Place the pie crust into a deep-dish pie plate.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat, and cook and stir the onion, green pepper, celery, salt, cayenne pepper, and white pepper until the vegetables are tender and the onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and crawfish tails, reduce heat to medium-low, and cook for about 3 minutes to blend flavors, stirring occasionally.
- Whisk flour and water together in a bowl until the mixture is smooth, and pour the flour mixture into the skillet. Bring the filling to a simmer, and cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture thickens, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to stand for 20 to 30 minutes to finish thickening.
- While filling is cooling, preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Pour the filling into the prepared pie crust, and bake in the preheated oven until the crust is golden brown and the filling is hot and bubbling, 30 to 40 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 285.9 calories, Carbohydrate 20.3 g, Cholesterol 79.1 mg, Fat 18.3 g, Fiber 2.4 g, Protein 10.4 g, SaturatedFat 7.5 g, Sodium 845.4 mg, Sugar 2.5 g
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the flour and salt. Using your hands work in the lard until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the water, 1 tablespoon at a time. Work the dough until you have a smooth ball. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes. Remove from the refrigerator and place on a lightly floured surface. Cut the dough in half and roll each ball into a circle about 14 inches in diameter and 1/8-inch thick. Gently fold the circle of dough in half and then in half again so that you can lift it without tearing the dough, and unfold into a 9-inch pie pan. Reserve the other circles for the top of the pie.
- In a large saute pan, heat the butter. When the butter is melted, add the onions, peppers, celery, shallots, garlic, salt, cayenne, and black pepper. Saute for 8 minutes, or until the vegetables are golden and wilted. Add the tomatoes and cook for 6 minutes. Add the crawfish tails and parsley. Stirring occasionally, cook for about 4 minutes. Dissolve the flour in the water and add to the pan. Stir for about 2 minutes, or until the mixture thickens. Remove from the heat. Cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Pour the cooled filling into the piecrust. Top the filling with the remaining crust and crimp the edges. Place the pie in the center of a cookie sheet and brush with an egg wash. Bake for 45 minutes, or until the edges of the piecrust are golden. Cool for 10 minutes before slicing. Place a slice of the pie in the center of a plate. Garnish with chives, red peppers, and cheese.
LOUISIANA CRAWFISH PIE
- In a 12-inch saute pan, heat the oil and butter together.
- Add in the onion, green pepper, celery, garlic, and Creole seasoning; stir/saute for 3-4 minutes.
- Sprinkle the flour over the vegetables; cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Add in crawfish, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco, and heavy cream; bring mixture to a boil.
- Simmer over medium heat for about 5 minutes, until the cream has reduced and the sauce is thickened.
- Make the piecrust: add flour, Creole seasoning and salt into the work bowl of a food processor; pulse on and off 3 times.
- Cut the cold shortening into small pieces and distribute it over the flour mixture; pulse the machine on and off 3 times, until the shortening resembles peas.
- Sprinkle 3 tablespoons ice water over the flour mixture, and pulse on and off until the dough begins to come together.
- If it appears dry, add more water, 1 teaspoon at a time.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured board, and roll into a disc, approximately 12 inches in diameter.
- Preheat oven to 375°; grease the edges of a 10-inch ovenproof baking dish, and transfer the crawfish mixture to the dish.
- Top the dish with the piecrust dough, and crimp the edges, making a few slits in the top of the crust to allow steam to escape.
- Bake the pie for 30 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 507.3, Fat 33.8, SaturatedFat 13.5, Cholesterol 167.1, Sodium 226.6, Carbohydrate 29.5, Fiber 1.5, Sugar 1.4, Protein 21.3
MOM'S EASY CRAWFISH PIE
- Saute white onions in half of the butter.
- Add the cream of mushroom and simmer for 3 minute.
- Pour into a bowl with evap. milk, set aside.
- Saute crawfish, green onions, and cajun seasoning in the other half of the butter.
- Pour crawfish mix into bowl, mix well.
- Pour into pie crusts and bake at 350 for 20-30 minutes.
- Watch the color. You want a light to medium brown.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 370.8, Fat 26.1, SaturatedFat 12.1, Cholesterol 96.4, Sodium 592.2, Carbohydrate 22.3, Fiber 0.7, Sugar 2.8, Protein 12
DOUG'S CRAWFISH PIE
- Melt butter in a large skillet on medium heat, then stir in flour; cook until light brown, about 10 minutes. Add sweet onion, green pepper, celery, and green onions. Cover and simmer on low heat for about one hour, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in vegetable broth and tomato paste, and cook until it reaches a creamy consistency. Mix in crawfish tails, garlic, and parsley, then cook for about 15 minutes or until the tails are tender. Stir in salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and hot sauce.
- Preheat an oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Bake the puff pastry shells for 5 to 7 minutes, or until they puff up and start to brown a little. Remove from oven and set aside to cool. Pull off center tops and save. Turn oven down to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Spoon mixture into puff pastry shells until slightly overfilled. Put extra filling into a pie dish and cover with the remaining puff pastry shell center tops to create 6 small pies and 1 large crawfish pie. Place pies on a baking sheet.
- Bake for about 15 minutes, or until the shells are golden brown and the filling has a nice shine to it.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 410.5 calories, Carbohydrate 23.2 g, Cholesterol 121.6 mg, Fat 29.3 g, Fiber 1.7 g, Protein 15.7 g, SaturatedFat 13.4 g, Sodium 460.4 mg, Sugar 3.5 g
More about "crawfish pie recipes"
CRAWFISH PIE RECIPE | LOUISIANA TRAVEL
CRAWFISH PIE RECIPE | LOUISIANA SEAFOOD
AUTHENTIC LOUISIANA CRAWFISH PIE - SPOONACULAR
CRAWFISH PIE RECIPE - BAKERRECIPES.COM
MINI-CRAWFISH PIES | PAULA DEEN
EMERIL'S CRAWFISH PIE | EMERILS.COM
30 CRAWFISH RECIPES FOR A TASTE OF LOUISIANA - INSANELY GOOD
CRAWFISH PIE | FIRST...YOU HAVE A BEER
CAJUN CREOLE CRAWFISH PIE RECIPE | MYRECIPES
BEST CRAWFISH PIE RECIPE - HOW TO MAKE CRAWFISH PIE - FOOD52
22 BEST CRAWFISH PIE RECIPES - THEPAN-HANDLER.COM
EASY HOMEMADE CRAWFISH PIE - WENT HERE 8 THIS
CRAWFISH PIE RECIPE - HEARTY, DELICIOUS RECIPE USING CRAWFISH TAIL …
CRAWFISH PIE RECIPE – KITCHENOFLOVE.ORG
CRAWFISH PIE RECIPE - COOKING NEW ORLEANS STYLE
LOUISIANA STYLE CRAWFISH PIES - RECIPES - SUR LE PLAT
CRAWFISH PIE RECIPE | COZYMEAL
CRAWFISH PIE - THE COOKING BRIDE
CRAWFISH PIE | THE CAGLE DIARIES
LOUISIANA CRAWFISH PIE RECIPE - COOP CAN COOK
LOUISIANA CRAWFISH PIE - JOY THE BAKER
CRAWFISH PIE - LOUISIANA COOKIN
MINI CRAWFISH PIES - THIS TEACHER'S LIFE
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE CRAWFISH PIE (SAVORY PIE RECIPE)
CRAWFISH PIE RECIPE - COOKIST.COM
CRAWFISH HAND PIES - JENNIFER COOKS
MINI CRAWFISH PIE RECIPE - CREATE THE MOST AMAZING DISHES
AUTHENTIC LOUISIANA CRAWFISH PIE - PINKWHEN
CRAWFISH HAND PIES | LOUISIANA TRAVEL
CRAWFISH HAND PIES - LOUISIANA COOKIN
MINI CRAWFISH PIE RECIPE - MASHED
CRAWFISH PIE | LOUISIANA CRAWFISH COMPANY
MINI CAJUN CRAWFISH PIES - KT'S SOUTHERN KITCHEN
CRAWFISH PIES - WIDE OPEN EATS
9-INCH CRAWFISH PIE RECIPE • ROUSES SUPERMARKETS
WHAT TO DO WITH LEFTOVER CRAWFISH – 30 EASY RECIPES
CRAWFISH PIES | EMERILS.COM
CRAWFISH PIE RECIPE FROM H-E-B
LOUISIANA CRAWFISH PIE RECIPE • ROUSES SUPERMARKETS
#60-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #main-ingredient #preparation #seafood #oven #dietary #shellfish #crawfish #equipment
You'll also love