CREAM OF LEEK AND POTATO SOUP
- In a large heavy saucepan, bring the leeks, potatoes, water, and salt to the boil over high heat. Cover partially, reduce heat, and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Correct the seasoning, to taste, and puree with a handheld immersion blender, or in batches in a food processor.
- Whisk in the cream and reheat before serving. Top each serving with a dollop of creme fraiche and sprinkling of fresh chives.
CREAMY LEEK SOUP
I usually pair leeks with potatoes to make a creamy puree, but this time I used basmati rice, and the results are comforting and delicious. You could add something creamy to this if you wanted to - yogurt or milk or creme fraiche. But I found it utterly satisfying with no further enrichment.
Provided by Martha Rose Shulman
Categories soups and stews, appetizer, side dish
Yield 4 to 6 servings
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large, heavy soup pot and add the leeks and a generous pinch of salt. Cook, stirring, until leeks are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and stir for about a minute, until the garlic smells fragrant. Add the stock or water, the rice, bay leaf and salt to taste. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes. Taste and adjust salt. Remove the bay leaf and discard.
- Puree the soup with an immersion blender or a food mill, or in batches in a blender, taking care to remove the lid or take out the center insert and to cover with a towel to avoid hot splashes. Return to the pot, heat through, and add pepper to taste and a pinch of cayenne if desired. Serve hot or cold. If you wish you can thin out with milk, plain yogurt or a combination of milk and creme fraiche. Garnish with chopped chives or croutons.
CREAMY LEEK SOUP
- Wash sliced leeks in a large bowl of cold water, agitating them, then lift out and drain well in a colander.
- Cook leeks, onion, carrot, celery, salt, and pepper in 4 tablespoons butter in a 5- to 6-quart heavy pot over moderate heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 8 minutes. Peel potato and cut into 1/2-inch cubes, then add to onion mixture along with wine, stock, water, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, partially covered, until vegetables are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in parsley and simmer soup, uncovered, 5 minutes. Discard bay leaf and keep soup at a bare simmer.
- Melt remaining 4 tablespoons butter in a 1-quart heavy saucepan over moderate heat, then add flour and cook roux, whisking, until golden, about 3 minutes. Remove from heat and add 2 cups simmering stock (from soup), whisking vigorously (mixture will be thick), then whisk mixture into remaining soup and return to a simmer, whisking.
- Blend soup in 4 batches in a blender until smooth (use caution when blending hot liquids), about 1 minute per batch, transferring to a 3- to 4-quart saucepan. Reheat if necessary, then season with salt and pepper.
- Beat cream in a bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until it almost forms soft peaks. Serve soup topped with cream.
CREAM OF LEEK SOUP
- In a medium pot, melt butter over medium. Add leeks and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, 8 minutes.
- Add flour and cook, stirring, until combined, 1 minute.
- Whisking constantly, add broth and 1 cup water and bring to a boil over high. Reduce heat and simmer, whisking occasionally, 10 minutes. Add tarragon.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl. In batches, fill a blender halfway with mixture and puree until smooth; to allow heat to escape, remove cap from hole in lid, cover lid with a dish towel, and hold down firmly while blending. Return soup to pot as pureed.
- Heat over medium until warmed through. Season with salt and pepper. Thin with broth or water, if desired.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 263 g, Fat 13 g, Fiber 3 g, Protein 8 g, SaturatedFat 8 g
CREAMY POTATO LEEK SOUP II
- In a large saucepan or stockpot, bring potatoes and chicken broth to a boil. Cook until potatoes are tender. Meanwhile, place bacon in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium high heat until evenly brown. Drain, reserving 3 tablespoons of grease and set aside. Sautee the leeks in the frying pan with the reserved bacon grease 8 to 10 minutes.
- When the potatoes are tender, stir in the fried leeks, heavy cream and bacon. Stir to blend and remove from heat. Serve hot.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 739.2 calories, Carbohydrate 58.2 g, Cholesterol 109.1 mg, Fat 49.5 g, Fiber 7 g, Protein 16.7 g, SaturatedFat 20.6 g, Sodium 1311.3 mg, Sugar 4.7 g
POTATO LEEK SOUP RECIPE BY TASTY
Buttery, creamy, and made oh-so fragrant with the help of thyme and chives, this potato leek soup is the perfect companion to any cold weather dinner. Serve with a bit of hot sauce for an extra kick and a sprinkling of croutons for added crunch.
Provided by Merle O'Neal
Yield 8 servings
Number Of Ingredients 12
- Melt butter on medium heat in a large pot. Add the chopped leeks and stir until coated with butter.
- Cover the pot and lower heat, cook for around 10 minutes until the leeks have softened.
- Increase to medium-high. Add garlic, potatoes, salt, and pepper. Cook for 1 minute, then add vegetable broth, water, thyme, and bay leaf. Bring to a boil.
- Lower heat and cover pot with a lid and simmer for 15 minutes, or until potatoes are tender and easily speared by a fork.
- Uncover and remove thyme and bay leaf.
- Use an immersion or countertop blender to blend the soup until smooth.
- Stir in chives and hot sauce (optional).
- Allow to cool 2 minutes and serve.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 751 calories, Carbohydrate 67 grams, Fat 49 grams, Fiber 3 grams, Protein 3 grams, Sugar 14 grams
CREAMY LEEK SOUP WITH BRIE
Bits of Brie add something special to this soup from our home economists. Soup is a satisfying addition to a buffet table. Use a slow cooker to keep it warm.
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 12 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Number Of Ingredients 9
- In a Dutch oven, saute leeks in butter until tender. Add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 25 minutes. , Strain, reserving broth in pan. Place leeks in a blender with 1/2 cup of broth; cover and process until smooth. , Return to the pan. Stir in 3 cups cream. Combine the flour, salt, pepper and remaining cream until smooth; stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium. , Cut Brie into small pieces; add to soup in batches, stirring until most of the cheese is melted. Garnish with chives.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 265 calories, Fat 18g fat (12g saturated fat), Cholesterol 74mg cholesterol, Sodium 794mg sodium, Carbohydrate 13g carbohydrate (5g sugars, Fiber 1g fiber), Protein 9g protein.
CREAMY POTATO AND LEEK SOUP
- Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Cook and stir leeks, garlic, salt, and pepper in the hot butter until leeks are tender and lightly browned, about 15 minutes.
- Stir chicken broth and cornstarch together in a bowl until cornstarch is dissolved; pour over the leek mixture. Add potatoes to the broth mixture and bring to a boil; season with onion powder and garlic powder. Reduce heat, add half-and-half to broth mixture, and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 30 minutes.
- Remove pot from heat and blend soup using a hand blender until smooth; season with salt and pepper.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 250 calories, Carbohydrate 28.9 g, Cholesterol 40.1 mg, Fat 13.2 g, Fiber 3.1 g, Protein 5.3 g, SaturatedFat 8 g, Sodium 538.9 mg, Sugar 3.2 g
CREAMY POTATO LEEK SOUP
The idea for the recipe came from a soup I had at Biltmore Estate in Asheville, NC. It is easy to prepare, but tastes gourmet!
Provided by Lorraine
Yield 4-6 serving(s)
Number Of Ingredients 10
- Bring broth to a boil and reduce to medium.
- Add leeks, potatoes, and onion.
- Simmer, covered, 25-30 minutes.
- Add seasonings and cream.
- Simmer 5 minutes more.
- Slightly mash with a potatoe masher to desired consistency.
- Serve with salad and crusty bread.
- A snap to make, but tastes gourmet!
CREAM OF LEEK SOUP
My husband discovered this wonderful soup recipe on a cold winter day. It is wonderful served hot with a slice of french bread or with croutons and bacon bits.-Karen Turner, Grand Junction, Colorado
Provided by Taste of Home
Yield 12 servings (3 quarts).
Number Of Ingredients 11
- Cut leeks into 1/4-in. slices. In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, saute leeks and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until bubbly. Gradually add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes. , Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Process in batches in a blender until smooth; return to pan. Add milk and cream; heat through. Garnish with chives.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 165 calories, Fat 8g fat (5g saturated fat), Cholesterol 26mg cholesterol, Sodium 756mg sodium, Carbohydrate 19g carbohydrate (7g sugars, Fiber 2g fiber), Protein 5g protein.
CREAM OF LEEK SOUP
- Heat butter and sauté vegetables for 5 minutes.
- Add stock, bring to boil.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Liquidise and add cream, reheat if needed.
Nutrition Facts : Calories 215.4, Fat 16.5, SaturatedFat 10.2, Cholesterol 55, Sodium 77.9, Carbohydrate 16, Fiber 2.2, Sugar 2.8, Protein 2.3
CREAMY POTATO AND LEEK SOUP
A great wintery soup full of creamy goodness :)
Provided by mentalmeggy
Yield Serves 4
Number Of Ingredients 0
- Heat oil in soup pan. Add leeks, potato and onion. Fry for 3/4 minutes until slightly softened.
- Add vegetable stock and bring to the boil. When vegetables are tender add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove soup from the hob and, using a liquidiser or blender, liquidise the soup until it is smooth.
- Return the pan to the heat. Stir in the cream and heat through.
- Serve piping hot with bread and butter.
More about "creamy leek soup recipes"
CREAMY LEEK AND POTATO SOUP WITH BACON RECIPE
10 BEST LEEK SOUP WITHOUT POTATOES RECIPES | YUMMLY
ULTRA CREAMY LEEK SOUP – A COUPLE COOKS
POTATO LEEK SOUP - ONCE UPON A CHEF
CREAM OF LEEK AND WATERCRESS SOUP | RICARDO
CREAMY CARAMELIZED LEEK SOUP WITH MAPLE GLAZED …
CREAMY LEEK SOUP ⋆ MY GERMAN RECIPES
5/5 (1)Total Time 30 minsCategory Dinner, Lunch (Or Dinner), Main Course, SoupCalories 524 per serving
CREAMY TURKEY LEEK SOUP (LEFTOVER THANKSGIVING RECIPE)
CREAMY LEEK AND POTATO SOUP RECIPE - MURIELLE ANDRAUD | FOOD
CREAMY VEGAN POTATO LEEK SOUP - MINIMALIST BAKER RECIPES
CREAMY MUSHROOM AND LEEK SOUP - SLOW THE COOK DOWN
CREAM OF LEEK SOUP RECIPE | MYRECIPES
CREAM OF LEEK SOUP | KNORR® | KNORR CA
DELICIOUS AND HEALTHY CREAMY SOUP OF LEEK AND CELERY ROOTS. IT IS …
CREAMY LEEK AND PARSNIP SOUP RECIPE | MYRECIPES
CLASSIC POTATO LEEK SOUP • DISHING DELISH
SIMPLE VEGAN CREAM OF LEEK SOUP – MARY'S TEST KITCHEN
CREAM OF PEAR AND LEEK SOUP | RICARDO
IRISH CREAM OF VEGETABLE SOUP - THERESCIPES.INFO
LEEK CREAM SOUP RECIPE - SIMPLY STACIE
CREAM OF LEEK SOUP RECIPE - COOK WITH CAMPBELLS CANADA
HEALTHY LEEK AND POTATO SOUP - SERVED FROM SCRATCH
POTATO AND WILD LEEK (RAMPS) SOUP RECIPE - THE SPRUCE EATS
CREAMY LEEK AND POTATO SOUP | EASY WEEKNIGHT RECIPES
LEEK AND POTATO SOUP WITH NO CREAM: EASY RECIPE
CREAMY POTATO LEEK SOUP – SOUPER CUBES®
CREAMY POTATO LEEK SOUP - SWEET SAVORY AND STEPH
CREAMY LEEK SOUP RECIPE (DAIRY-FREE) – STEPH GAUDREAU
CREAMY POTATO LEEK SOUP - HERBS & FLOUR
HEARTY POTATO AND LEEK SOUP WITH BACON RECIPE
RECIPE: CREAMY LEEK AND YOGURT SOUP | KITCHN
CREAMY LEEK SOUP | CANADIAN LIVING
CREAMY POTATO LEEK SOUP (WITH BACON) - KYLEE COOKS
CREAM OF ASPARAGUS LEEK SOUP WITH CREME FRAICHE
CREAMY CAULIFLOWER LEEK SOUP - THE KITCHEN MAGPIE
#60-minutes-or-less #time-to-make #course #main-ingredient #preparation #appetizers #soups-stews #vegetables #easy #beginner-cook #vegetarian #stove-top #dietary #inexpensive #equipment #small-appliance
You'll also love
Top Asked Questions
How do you make the perfect leeks soup?In a soup kettle or Dutch oven, saute leeks and garlic in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Cook and stir until bubbly. Gradually add broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 25-30 minutes. Remove from the heat; cool slightly. Process in batches in a blender until smooth; return to pan.
How do you cook leeks and garlic in a stew?Cook, stirring, until leeks are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and stir for about a minute, until the garlic smells fragrant. Add the stock or water, the rice, bay leaf and salt to taste. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes.
How to make chicken soup with Leek and cornstarch?Directions Melt butter in a large pot over medium heat. Stir chicken broth and cornstarch together in a bowl until cornstarch is dissolved; pour over the leek mixture. Remove pot from heat and blend soup using a hand blender until smooth; season with salt and pepper.
How to make cauliflower and leeks soup?Chop the leeks roughly. Add to a large soup pot. Cut the core out of the cauliflower and trim off any leaves. Roughly chop it. Add that to the pot. Add the onion, chicken broth, and ghee (optional) to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for about 20 minutes or until all the veggies are tender.