CRISPY SESAME TOFU
Using a nonstick skillet to make this dish will help the tofu brown evenly with less oil. Wiping the skillet with a paper towel after step 2 will keep the broccoli green.Tofu will take on the taste of whatever food it is cooked with. It is high in protein and is also a very good source of B vitamins and iron.
Provided by Martha Stewart
Number Of Ingredients 6
- Place block of tofu flat on cutting board; slice lengthwise into 4 equal pieces, then down the middle to make 8 squares. Place on baking sheet lined with three layers of paper towels; cover with three more layers. Place another baking sheet and a weight on top. Let tofu drain until towels are soaked, 5 minutes.
- Spread the sesame seeds on a plate. Press both sides of each tofu square into sesame seeds. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon sesame oil over medium heat. Cook tofu, until golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes per side. Add the soy sauce; continue cooking, turning tofu, until it has absorbed all the liquid, about 1 minute. Remove from pan. Wipe skillet with a paper towel.
- Add broccoli, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, and 1/2 cup water to skillet. Simmer, covered, until broccoli is tender, about 5 minutes. Divide among 4 serving plates; arrange 2 tofu squares on each. Drizzle with remaining tablespoon sesame oil. Serve.
SESAME TOFU WITH COCONUT-LIME DRESSING AND SPINACH
Coated in panko and sesame seeds, tofu takes on a splendid crunchiness that contrasts with sautéed spinach in this 30-minute dish. It comes together under a fragrant coconut-lime dressing - which you can double, then toss with salad. Swap out the spinach to your taste: Try this with mustard greens or chopped collard greens, adjusting the cooking time accordingly. Be careful when handling the uncooked tofu once it is breaded, as the breading is delicate. Using a pair of kitchen tongs or two forks to grab the tofu from the sides will help prevent its crumbling or falling apart. Serve this satisfying main by itself, or alongside a bowl of rice.
Provided by Nik Sharma
Categories dinner, weekday, vegetables, main course
Yield 4 servings
Number Of Ingredients 21
- Prepare the dressing: In a medium bowl, whisk together coconut milk, lime zest and juice, sambal oelek and brown sugar until sugar dissolves completely. Slowly stream in the sesame oil and whisk until the mixture is emulsified and creamy. Taste and season with salt as needed; set aside. (You'll have 3/4 cup dressing. Save any extra in an airtight container in the refrigerator.)
- Prepare the tofu: Pat the tofu dry with a clean kitchen towel or paper towel. In a medium bowl, whisk together panko, sesame seeds and black pepper. Season the mixture generously with salt. In a second medium bowl, lightly whisk the egg whites. Using a pair of kitchen tongs, dip the tofu slices one at a time in the egg whites and coat well. Transfer to the bowl with the panko mixture, coating well on all sides, then move to a clean plate. Repeat with remaining tofu slices.
- Line a large plate with paper towels. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a medium (10-inch) cast-iron or stainless-steel skillet over medium-low. Working in batches to avoid crowding, pan-fry the tofu until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. (Don't overcook, or the sesame seeds will turn bitter.) Transfer the fried tofu slices to the prepared plate. Repeat with the remaining tofu, adding oil and wiping out the pan as needed.
- Prepare the spinach: Wipe out the skillet, and heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium. Add the shallot and sauté until translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook until fragrant, 45 seconds, taking care not to scorch the garlic. Add the spinach by the handful, increasing the heat after the first handful and allowing the greens to wilt before adding more. Sauté until wilted and most of the liquid evaporates, about 10 minutes. Add the soy sauce and black pepper, and fold to coat well. Taste and add salt as needed. Remove the skillet from the heat.
- Place spinach in a serving bowl. Add fried tofu on top, and drizzle with half of the coconut-lime dressing. Sprinkle the chives over the tofu, and serve immediately, with more dressing on the side.
More about "crispy sesame tofu recipes"
CRISPY FRIED TOFU WITH GINGER-SESAME SAUCE RECIPE ...
Cuisine AsianTotal Time 17 minsCategory Main Course
- In a small bowl, whisk the soy sauce with the sugar, red pepper, garlic, sesame oil, and grate in fresh ginger.
- Slice the tofu crosswise into 6 to 8 thin slabs. Dry the tofu with paper towel, pressing until excess moisture removed (about 5 minutes).
- In a large skillet, heat 1/4 inch of oil until shimmering. Add the tofu slabs and cook over moderate heat, turning once until they are browned and crispy. Drain the fried tofu on paper towels.
- Spoon the ginger-sesame sauce over the fried tofu and sprinkle sliced scallions. Serve with steamed rice or on side with steamed veggies.
CRISPY SESAME TOFU WITH RICE | SUPER EASY RECIPES | MIGHTY MRS
5/5 (6)Total Time 30 minsCategory Dinner
- Cut a 1/2" thick slice of tofu from the short end of the block. Cut the slice in half then each half diagonally into triangles.
- In a small bowl whisk flour, corn starch, salt and baking powder together. In a separate small bowl, whisk the eggs together.
- Fill a frying pan with cooking oil, about 1/8-1/4" deep. Just enough to cover the bottom of the pan is fine and heat over medium. Here's a fun little trick to see if your oil is hot enough: put a kernel of pop corn in the oil. When it pops, it's ready!
- Take your tofu triangles and dip them in egg, then the flour mixture, then place into the frying pan. Cook for 3 minutes on each side, flipping gently with your spatula. When cooked, remove tofu from pan and set aside on a paper-towel lines plate.
CRISPY SESAME TOFU RECIPE - LOVE AND LEMONS
4.8/5 (13)Category Main DishCuisine American, ChineseTotal Time 40 mins
- Place the tofu slices on a kitchen towel or paper towels. Place another towel on top and lightly press to remove most of the water from the tofu. Transfer to a shallow dish big enough for the tofu to lie in a single layer.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, sesame oil, vinegar, brown sugar, garlic, and ginger. Drizzle half of the marinade over the tofu, then gently flip and drizzle the rest on the other side. Marinate in the refrigerator for 20 minutes to 1 hour.
- Place the sesame seeds on a small plate. In a small bowl, beat the egg. Remove each tofu slice from the marinade, allowing the excess to drip off, then dip in the egg. Using a fork, dip in the sesame seeds, coating each side. Transfer to a plate. Spray one side with olive oil, then gently flip and spray the other side. (Discard the excess marinade.)
CRISPY SESAME TOFU - NORA COOKS
4.9/5 (17)Category Main CourseCuisine ChineseTotal Time 1 hr
- Press the tofu: Wrap each block of tofu in paper towels. Place a plate or pan on top of the wrapped tofu, and put a couple of heavy books on top of that. Let the tofu press for 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F and lightly grease a large baking sheet with oil or line with parchment paper.
- Slice the pressed tofu into cubes, then add them to a large ziplock bag (or large bowl), along with the sesame oil, soy sauce and cornstarch. Close the bag, and shake gently to coat. Arrange the tofu evenly on the prepared pan, and bake for 25 minutes, or until golden and crispy.
- While the tofu bakes, cook your rice and make the sauce. In a large pan, add the soy sauce, garlic, agave, seasoned rice vinegar and Sriracha hot sauce. Stir and bring to a simmer over medium heat. In a small bowl, mix the cornstarch and water together until smooth, then pour into the pan. Stir constantly until the sauce thickens, then turn off the heat. Stir in the sesame oil.
CRISPY SESAME CRUSTED TOFU - SARAH'S VEGAN KITCHEN
- Wrap tofu in a clean tea towel and press out extra moisture. I recommend stacking it with a cutting board and a few heavy cans for an hour. (Or, use high-protein/super-firm tofu and skip this step.)
- Set up your breading station. In one shallow dish, whisk together cornstarch and a generous pinch of salt. In another shallow dish, combine breadcrumbs, onion and garlic powder, nutritional yeast and sesame seeds. Pour some soymilk in a bowl.
- Toss your tofu pieces in cornstarch. Dunk into soymilk and then press into breadcrumbs to coat generously.
CRISPY SESAME TOFU RECIPE - SOUTHERN & MODERN
Estimated Reading Time 3 mins
- Press the tofu: Place the tofu slices on a plate, and place a paper towel between each slice. Balance a plate on top (I find it easier to flip the plate upside down) to press the water out of the tofu. Let the tofu press while you move onto the next steps.
- Prepare the sauce: In a room temperature stainless steel saucepan, whisk together 2 teaspoons cornstarch, 2 tablespoons sugar, 2 tablespoons water, 1/4 cup dark soy sauce, 2 tablespoons rice vinegar, 4 teaspoons toasted sesame oil, 1 clove minced garlic, and the chopped (optional) and whole chiles. Bring to a simmer over medium-low heat for 2 to 3 minutes, whisking frequently, until the sauce coats a spoon. Remove the sesame sauce from the heat while you prepare the tofu.
- Starch the tofu: Slice the pressed tofu into bite-size cubes and spread the cubes out onto a cutting board. Blot any water with a paper towel so that the tofu and cutting board is mostly dry. Sprinkle the tofu with 2 tablespoons of cornstarch and gently toss the tofu together with the cornstarch to lightly coat it.
CRISPY SESAME TOFU - (VEGAN, GF OPTION)- VEGGIE CHICK
5/5 (1)Category Main DishesCuisine AsianTotal Time 45 mins
- To remove the moisture from the tofu, follow these steps*: First, drain the liquid from the package of tofu and transfer the tofu block to a cutting board. Cut into 3 sections lengthwise. Then cut each section into strips. Then cut the strips into cubes. Transfer the cubes to another cutting board covered in a few layers of paper towels. Add a few more paper towels to the top of the tofu and add something heavy on top of the tofu, such as a cast iron skillet or a couple heavy cutting boards or pots. Leave for about 15 minutes until as much moisture as possible is removed from the tofu.
CRISPY SESAME TOFU (AIR FRIED OR BAKED) - KIRBIE'S CRAVINGS
Cuisine AsianCategory Main DishesServings 4Estimated Reading Time 4 mins
- Slice tofu into ¾ inch cubes. Place tofu cubes in a single layer in air fryer basket, making sure none of the cubes touch. Cook at 375°F for about 20-25 minutes or until golden and crispy.
- Loosely wrap the block of tofu with a few paper towels or a tea towel. Place a cutting board over tofu and place something heavy on top of the cutting board to press on the tofu to release water. I used a large 28 oz can of tomatoes. Whatever you use, you want it to apply pressure evenly across the surface of the tofu. The heavy object should apply enough pressure to squeeze out some of the water but not so heavy that it will crack and break your tofu.
- While tofu is cooking, make the sauce. In a medium bowl, add all sauce ingredients. Whisk to evenly mix, making sure to completely dissolve the cornstarch.
CRISPY SESAME CRUSTED TOFU • IT DOESN'T TASTE LIKE CHICKEN
5/5 (7)Category Appetizer, Main CourseCuisine ChineseTotal Time 1 hr 40 mins
- To prep the tofu: Prepare the tofu by draining it, and then pressing it for 30 minutes to 1 hour. I love using my Tofuture tofu press, but you can also follow these instructions for a DIY tofu pressing method. Pressing the tofu squeezes excess water out so that the tofu can suck up more of the marinade and become more flavourful. Once pressed, remove the tofu and pat dry, then cut into triangles (about 16).
- Marinate: mix together all of the sesame marinade ingredients in a sealable bag or container, then add the tofu. Let the tofu marinate for a minimum of 30 minutes or as long as overnight in the fridge, flipping the tofu every now and then to ensure all sides get marinated.
- When ready to finish the tofu, preheat your oven to 400F (200C). Lightly grease or line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Crust the tofu: Grab three big bowls. In the first bowl, add the flour. In the second bowl, add the flax and water and pour in any leftover unabsorbed marinade, and mix together, the flax will thicken the mixture in 5 - 10 minutes. For the third bowl, mix the sesame seeds and panko.
PAN-FRIED SESAME GARLIC TOFU - TIPS FOR EXTRA CRISPY PAN ...
4.5/5 (147)Total Time 45 minsCategory Side Dish
- Place two paper towels on a plate then place the entire block of tofu (drained from its packaging liquid) onto the plate. Place two more paper towels on top of the tofu then put a heavy item on top. Not TOO heavy that it would completely crush the tofu but heavy enough that it can squeeze out liquid.I like using a cast iron skillet.Leave for 30 minutes and halfway through, change out the paper towels.ALTERNATIVELY and more eco-friendly: place a wire baking rack on top of a rimmed baking sheet. Place tofu on top and then put a heavy object on top and let drain for 30 minutes.
- Once the tofu has drained, slice in half then into cubes and place into a large bowl. Sprinkle cornstarch on top and gently toss with your hands to ensure all tofu pieces are covered.
SESAME CRISPY TOFU | CHINA SICHUAN FOOD
5/5 (1)Category Side DishCuisine ChineseTotal Time 10 mins
- Mix all the ingredients for coating together in a plate. Then place the tofu squares in and coat well with the sesame mixture.
- Add around 2 tablespoons of cooking oil in a non-stick pan, place the tofu squares in and fry over medium to slow fire until one side becomes hard and then turn over the fry the other side.
HOW TO MAKE AN EASY AND CRISPY SESAME TOFU - WOONHENG
5/5 (2)Category Appetizer, Main Course, SnackCuisine Asian, ChineseTotal Time 30 mins
- First, thaw the frozen tofu to room temperature. Squeeze out the water and cut into 4 slabs. If you are using fresh tofu, drain out as much water as you can before cutting into slabs.
- Marinate the tofu: Add the tofu slabs to the bowl and rub the marinade all over the tofu until incorporated.
SESAME TOFU WITH BROCCOLI RECIPE | BON APPéTIT
4.5/5 (117)Servings 4
- Drain one 14-oz. block extra-firm tofu and pat dry with a kitchen towel. Cut tofu in half horizontally through the equator (like a hamburger bun), then cut into 1" cubes and pat dry again. Arrange in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet or large plate and set aside.
- Cut 1 large head of broccoli (about 1 lb.) into small 1" florets. If your broccoli has a long stem, peel tough outer skin to remove the lighter fibrous layer, then slice stem ¼" thick. Finely chop 1 scallion and set aside for serving.
- To make the sauce, scrape skin from one 1" piece ginger with a spoon, then grate on a Microplane into a small bowl. Smash and peel 1 garlic clove and grate into bowl with ginger. Add ¼ cup tamari or soy sauce, 2 Tbsp. light or dark brown sugar or pure maple syrup, 2 Tbsp. tahini, 2 Tbsp. unseasoned rice vinegar, 1 Tbsp. toasted sesame oil, 1½ tsp. cornstarch, a pinch of kosher salt, and 3 Tbsp. water and whisk to combine. Set sauce aside.
- Sprinkle 1 tsp. Diamond Crystal or ½ tsp. Morton kosher salt over tofu and toss to coat. Scatter remaining ¼ cup cornstarch over tofu a tablespoonful at a time, tossing after each addition and gently pressing into the tofu pieces, until well coated on all sides.
CRISPY SESAME TOFU STRIPS | GLUTEN-FREE - ASIAN CAUCASIAN ...
Category AppetizerCalories 216 per servingTotal Time 50 mins
- Drain the tofu blocks and tightly wrap with paper towels or a kitchen towel to remove excess liquid. Let sit for at least 30 minutes. Place on a cutting board and slice the tofu into ¾-inch thick strips.
- Place the cornstarch into a shallow dish (like a pie pan) Dredge the tofu strips into the cornstarch on all sides. Set aside on a plate.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat with the canola oil, brush or tilt the pan to coat evenly. Add the tofu strips to the pan and fry for about 3 minutes on each side, or until tofu is nicely golden brown and crispy. Remove the tofu from the pan and place on paper towels to blot the oil.
- Keeping the pan on low to medium heat, add the sauce and cornstarch mixture to the pan. Stir until the sauce begins to bubble and thicken, about 2 minutes. Turn off the heat and add the tofu strips back into the pan and thoroughly coat with the sauce mixture. Sprinkle with the toasted sesame seeds, tossing briefly.
CRISPY SESAME TOFU WITH ZUCCHINI NOODLES (VEGETARIAN MEAL ...
4.8/5 (14)Category Main CourseCuisine AsianTotal Time 30 mins
- In a blender or add all the ingredients for the sauce along with a splash of water and blend till smooth. Set aside 1/4 cup sauce and divide the rest in the mini sauce containers. You might be left with a little extra sauce which you can reserve for later - it works really well as a salad dressing!
- Heat oil in a pan and add the tofu. As soon as the tofu is a very light brown, add 1/4 cup sauce to the pan and toss the tofu in it. Cook everything on low heat. In some time, the sauce will start to evaporate and slowly it will start turning into golden brown and sticking to the pan and tofu. Things will become crispy and you finally you'll be left with crispy browned bits of tofu in the pan.
- To assemble the meal prep containers, divide zucchini noodles in the containers. Divide the tofu amongst the containers and place the mini sauce containers on one side. Place the lid and refrigerate for up to 5 days.
STICKY SESAME CRISPY TOFU - THE TWIN COOKING PROJECT BY ...
Estimated Reading Time 5 mins
- To a bowl, add corn starch (corn flour), water, vegetable stock (see note), soy sauce, sriracha and garlic. Mix well. Add to a pan and cook for a minute on low flame for 10-12 seconds. Add sesame seeds and cook additional minute or two until the sauce has thickened.
CRISPY HONEY SESAME TOFU • DOMESTIC SUPERHERO
- In a medium bowl, stir together the 1 TBS soy sauce, red pepper flakes, 3 TBS honey, oyster sauce, salt, pepper, rice wine vinegar, and oil. Cut tofu into 1/2-inch cubes. Gently add/stir tofu cubes into sauce. Cover, and marinate at least 15 minutes.
- Place the tofu on the baking sheet in a single layer (reserve marinade). Spray tops with olive oil (I use the Misto) and bake in a preheated oven for 20 minutes. Turn tofu, and bake until the tofu turns golden brown, about 20 minutes more or until develops a nice crisp crust.
- Add additional soy sauce and honey ( 1 TBS each) to the marinade bowl. Add corn starch; whisk to combine.
SPICY SESAME ZOODLES WITH CRISPY TOFU RECIPE - PINCH OF YUM
4.7/5 (43)Total Time 25 minsCategory DinnerCalories 330 per serving
- Shake all the sauce ingredients in a jar or toss them in the food processor and give them a whirl. If you’re going to have this cold, refrigerate your sauce for a while.
- Press excess moisture out of the tofu. Cut into bite sized pieces. Heat a tiny bit of oil in a nonstick pan. Add the tofu and stir fry until golden brown. Add about 1/2 cup sauce and simmer until the sauce starts to evaporate / absorb into the tofu and becomes browned in the pan. Keep gently flipping and scraping browned bits off the bottom – after a while, you should end up with nicely golden brown tofu with some little yummy browned bits from the sauce.
- Spiralize your zucchini and toss with about 1/4 cup sauce per serving. Top with tofu, sesame seeds, and scallions. Serve immediately.
CRISPY SESAME GARLIC TOFU RECIPE | THE FIRST MESS
5/5 (5)Estimated Reading Time 4 minsCategory Main Course, Side DishTotal Time 35 mins
- Press the tofu for 15 minutes. Then, transfer it to a freezer-safe sealable bag or container. In a medium bowl, whisk together the tamari, sesame oil, chili garlic sauce, rice wine vinegar, maple syrup, and garlic. Pour the marinade over the tofu. Tightly seal the bag and place it in the freezer for at least 8 hours, or overnight.
- The next day, remove the tofu from the freezer and allow it to thaw completely in the refrigerator, about 8 hours. If you can, flip the tofu around every few hours so that all sides of the tofu block can soak up the marinade.
- Remove the tofu from the bag and pat it dry. Discard the remaining marinade. Cut the tofu into 1-inch cubes and place in a medium bowl. Toss the tofu cubes with the 2 teaspoons of avocado oil to coat. Then, toss with the arrowroot starch and pepper until evenly coated.
CRISPY SESAME TOFU - CHLOE TING RECIPES
- Press tofu to remove excess water by placing tofu slices on a kitchen towel and placing another towel on top, and then pressing down gently.
- In a bowl, mix together tamari, monk fruit sweetener, sesame oil, rice vinegar and garlic. Marinate tofu in this mixture in the fridge for 30-60 minutes.
CRISPY SESAME TOFU WITH VEGETABLES - THE SPRUCE EATS
Calories 309Total Fat 25g 31%Saturated Fat 3g 14%Estimated Reading Time 3 mins See details »
5 RECIPES FOR ENJOYING TOFU THE CRISPY WAY | FN DISH ...
Author Heath GoldmanEstimated Reading Time 4 mins See details »
BEST TOFU RECIPES - 6 EASY WAYS TO COOK TOFU
See details »
PAN FRIED TOFU (SO CRISPY AND FLUFFY!) - EARTH BLOKES
See details »
SESAME TOFU - PLANTED IN THE KITCHEN
See details »
You'll also love